Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Wrestling
Wrestling Amateur, Pro, Mud, Jello, Real, Fake, and in between

Unpopular wrestling opinions

Old
12-23-2012, 01:08 AM
Megahab

vCash: 500
Unpopular wrestling opinions

What wrestling opinions do you have that most people on these forums might not agree with?

Here are mine:

-I think the Undertaker is very overrated. A lot of people think he is this amazing worker but for the last 10 years or so, most of his good matches have only been at Wrestlemania. He has had so much time off through that time allowing his body to heal whenever he wants. I doubt he would have those great Wrestlemania matches on a full time schedule. Also, he usually needs to have a great wrestler with him to have a good match. He has had way more bad matches than he has good matches. I think he's good for a big man, but I don't think he is the wrestling god that most people think he is.

-I think Kane is terrible and always has been. I can't think of many good Kane matches.

-I find Randy Orton to be very boring on the mic. He has that slow talking way of cutting a promo. Like "I....am....the.....legend.....killer." as if he is trying to kill time to make up for the alloted time he was given for the promo. I felt same way about Jack Swagger's promos from his 2010 World Title run. His promos were terrible. I sometimes feel this way about Triple H's promos too, They talk slower for dramatic effect but it just makes the promo boring and drawn out with no energy.

-I prefer sports entertainment to pure technical wrestling. I tried watching ROH a couple of times and found it unwatchable. The production values are pretty bad and there is way too much focus on pure wrestling, rather than interesting characters. I think CM Punk and Samoa Joe have a couple of 60 minute matches that ended up a draw. I don't know how anyone can sit through that.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Flair is still more entertaining than pretty much anyone in pro wrestling and as such belongs on TV if he wants to continue to do so.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:35 AM
Marf

I've never liked Ric Flair ever

I think TNA is over-rated

I think HHH is more "Hogan-ish" than Cena

Marf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Brace yourselves.... John Cena is pretty damn entertaining and I enjoy his character.
He's also a good wrestler and probably one of the harder workers on the roster.

Although he doesn't have to look like an Adonis carved from stone, CM Punk should work on his physique a bit more.

The Miz is the most overrated wrestlers on the roster.

Punk would be better off without Paul Heyman.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:47 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Just a couple thoughts on a few opinions here:

- RE: Undertaker being overrated: The guy said in an interview back on Jimmy Kimmel (I believe) that saving a "moment" for Wrestlemania is how you do it on the grandest stage. He was talking about all these new guys trying to prove themselves with doing the biggest spots w/o it even being at a big PPV. I don't think he's overrated at all. He's just very intelligent and knows how to bring it.

RE: CM Punk's physique: In his DVD he talked about trying to gain weight and even mentioned he got up to like 220 and it affected his move set. I don't think that would suit his whole persona.

RE: TNA overrated: How would it be overrated if it's not even producing good numbers or anything? They brought in big names/talent and even have some home grown guys but never could produce big time ratings or PPV buys. And I'm not dogging on TNA. I want them to compete w/ the WWE because it's good for everyone. But they just don't and won't.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
- I never liked Ric Flair. I can respect what he did for the business, but he's been way past his prime the entire time I've watched wrestling, which dates back to 1993.

- I like John Cena. He's by no means a favourite of mine, but he puts on some very good matches, and, when allowed, can be pretty great on the mic.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:43 AM
The Shockmaster
AKA SheamusFan

vCash: 450
- I've never liked Flair

- I've never liked Hogan

- I've never liked Nash

-I've never liked Hall

- Kane>Taker in almost every aspect (except draw ability).

- Cesaro's character is terribly generic, although I think many people are aware of this, but don't wish to say it.

- I prefer Bryan over Punk in-ring and on the mic, not taking anything away from Punk, though.

The Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Just a couple thoughts on a few opinions here:

- RE: Undertaker being overrated: The guy said in an interview back on Jimmy Kimmel (I believe) that saving a "moment" for Wrestlemania is how you do it on the grandest stage. He was talking about all these new guys trying to prove themselves with doing the biggest spots w/o it even being at a big PPV. I don't think he's overrated at all. He's just very intelligent and knows how to bring it.

RE: CM Punk's physique: In his DVD he talked about trying to gain weight and even mentioned he got up to like 220 and it affected his move set. I don't think that would suit his whole persona.

RE: TNA overrated: How would it be overrated if it's not even producing good numbers or anything? They brought in big names/talent and even have some home grown guys but never could produce big time ratings or PPV buys. And I'm not dogging on TNA. I want them to compete w/ the WWE because it's good for everyone. But they just don't and won't.
Thus the thread title unpopular wrestling opinions, trying to pick at peoples unpopular opinions will just derail such a thread.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:40 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Thus the thread title unpopular wrestling opinions, trying to pick at peoples unpopular opinions will just derail such a thread.
No it won't, Morozov. If there are unpopular opinions, maybe we can discuss them and find truth.

Good try.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:56 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

Although I think CM Punk is the only viable choice for WWE Champion at the moment, and his streak is incredible and should not be ended anytime soon, and he still cuts incredible promos.....I haven't really been invested in his character since before Wrestlemania and the heel turn/Heyman thing were just temporary fixes for me.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
Marf

Quote:
I should have been a little more specific. I meant over-rated with the majority of the IWC. It gets annoying reading the same "TNA is way better than WWE could ever be" lines over and over again. If that were true, why don't the numbers reflect that?
I agree with what you said though. And I'm not trying to insult their company, I like a lot of the guys in there and they do put out some solid matches and even storylines. But quite frankly I just have never been pulled in since they started 10 years ago or so.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:28 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marf View Post
I should have been a little more specific. I meant over-rated with the majority of the IWC. It gets annoying reading the same "TNA is way better than WWE could ever be" lines over and over again. If that were true, why don't the numbers reflect that?
I agree with what you said though. And I'm not trying to insult their company, I like a lot of the guys in there and they do put out some solid matches and even storylines. But quite frankly I just have never been pulled in since they started 10 years ago or so.
Oh. Definitely gotta agree then. Especially when the IWC thought the Monday Night Wars were restarting.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:42 PM
txomisc

I have never found Shawn Michaels to be entertaining at all.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Mister Wood

CM Punk really needs to stop dropping the Flying Elbow. I know it was a nice tribute to Savage, but his form bothers me.

Mister Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Marf

Quote:
Oh. Definitely gotta agree then. Especially when the IWC thought the Monday Night Wars were restarting.
Haha yes that was another phrase that would get me facepalming.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

I thought the Ultimate Warrior was awesome!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

After thinking about this, I have a couple more...

Although I like him, Dolph Ziggler is not the be-all, end-all to wrestling. The Bad Ass Billy Gunn was better.
Eve isn't all that hot; I actually think Kaitlyn might be better looking.
I found a lot of the old ECW personalities a lot more interesting than most WWE personalities.
I hated Goldberg.
I actually like some of Sin Cara's work; if its true that they're going to get a Sin Cara vs Rey match for Wrestlemania, I'm looking forward to it.
The Undertaker's streak isn't incredibly impressive to me.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Dean Ambrose
Just a little crazy

vCash: 133
Agreed on sin cara & sin cara vs rey. Ever since sin cara's been paired with mysterio, his in ring work is much more crisp and smooth.

Dean Ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:07 PM
RussianRocket10

Yeah I'm not sure if it would be considered unpopular really but I'm not on board with the whole Dolph Ziggler craze.

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:21 PM
End of Line
Human After All

-Never cared for HBK, Undertaker, Flair, Hogan, HHH, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash,

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:47 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
What wrestling opinions do you have that most people on these forums might not agree with?

Here are mine:

-I think the Undertaker is very overrated. A lot of people think he is this amazing worker but for the last 10 years or so, most of his good matches have only been at Wrestlemania. He has had so much time off through that time allowing his body to heal whenever he wants. I doubt he would have those great Wrestlemania matches on a full time schedule. Also, he usually needs to have a great wrestler with him to have a good match. He has had way more bad matches than he has good matches. I think he's good for a big man, but I don't think he is the wrestling god that most people think he is.

-I think Kane is terrible and always has been. I can't think of many good Kane matches.

-I find Randy Orton to be very boring on the mic. He has that slow talking way of cutting a promo. Like "I....am....the.....legend.....killer." as if he is trying to kill time to make up for the alloted time he was given for the promo. I felt same way about Jack Swagger's promos from his 2010 World Title run. His promos were terrible. I sometimes feel this way about Triple H's promos too, They talk slower for dramatic effect but it just makes the promo boring and drawn out with no energy.

-I prefer sports entertainment to pure technical wrestling. I tried watching ROH a couple of times and found it unwatchable. The production values are pretty bad and there is way too much focus on pure wrestling, rather than interesting characters. I think CM Punk and Samoa Joe have a couple of 60 minute matches that ended up a draw. I don't know how anyone can sit through that.
Dayum, outside of the Orton comment I could not disagree with you any more...which I guess is the purpose of your thread, so well done.

I actually think Kane is one of the best big men of all time. Nothing crazy, but he's just solid. Doesn't botch, has a great character, is extremely versatile, has amazing in ring presence, and his career longevity is just straight up astounding.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

-Hated Kurt Angle, HHH and Edge.

-Guys like HBK, Bret Hart, Flair, Hogan (loved nWo as a group though) to name a few were nothing more than meh to me. Didn't love nor hate em. Same goes for current IWC favs like Bryan.

-Always a bigger fan of the mid-card than main event. While Rock and SCSA are in my top 5 favs of all time I couldn't get enough of guys like RVD, Booker T, The Hurricane, Too Cool, Outlaws, etc.

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 08:34 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
-Never cared for HBK, Undertaker, Flair, Hogan, HHH, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash,
There wasn't much to watch in the 90s/early 2ks, eh?

Old
12-24-2012, 11:19 AM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

I would leave my wife for Vicki Guerrero.

Brodus Clay is the best technical wrestler of all time.

Khali does a better moonsault than Jericho.

Rick Flair looks 35 years old, tops.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:59 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
There wasn't much to watch in the 90s/early 2ks, eh?
They never really did anything for me as a kid.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote