HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defenseman prospects are small and soft

Old
12-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Superhero

vCash: 500
Defenseman prospects are small and soft

With the exception of Braden McNabb each of the top Sabres top defenseman prospects (Pysyk, Guthier Leduc, Brennon, McCabe) lack size and grit.

I hope Darcy Regier will address this in the next draft.

Last edited by Superhero: 12-25-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:11 AM
TheWook

Im not sure about the players in this draft, but I would also like to see a big, mobile defensive defensemen in our prospect pool.

I know we have guys like Lepkowski and Austin but they are projects and likely have limited upside. McNabb has been pretty disappointing so far this year.

TheWook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:13 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I mean yeah, given where we are pretty much everywhere else in the prospect pool, a tough defenseman is probably the pick, but I think people acting like this is a serious need are getting worked up over nothing. Our blueline still has a decent mix of goal prevention and scoring even if it doesn't have a bruiser aside from McNabb.

Physically imposing shutdown defensemen are also incredibly difficult to scout and develop. Unless that type of player is solidly in the BPA conversation whenever Buffalo picks I'm not reaching, even if the physical blueliner is only a half-tier below his peers (and I was consistently in favor of taking scoring forwards in past drafts regardless of who else was on the board). Buffalo's prospect pool has a strong enough foundation to keep adding the highest top end whenever possible and using the middle rounds to add a few bruising blueliners. Hopefully one of them has a development spike a-la Hamonic, Francois Beauchemin or (please jah) Shea Weber.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:16 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
It's the exception of Braden McNabb each of the top Sabres top defenseman prospects (Pysyk, Guthier Leduc, Brennon, McCabe) lack size and grit.

I hope Darcy Regier will address this in the next draft.
Most of the guys you listed are neither small (all of them are over 6'0) or soft, they are just not really physical, that's a difference.

I agree that our blue-line could use some more grit, but the problem isn't nearly as pressing as you make it out to be, especially since very few really physical D-Men ever make it in the NHL, outside of an #6/#7-role.

Besides, we have some Physical Defensemen in our system in Alex Lepkowski, Brady Austin and, if you want to count him, Joe Finley. Yes, most of them are projects, but guess what: That's because of what I just mentioned, very few physical D-Men make it and they are very hard to find, so you have to rely on projects. Very few physical D-Men get picked in the first 1-2 rounds anyway, and that's no coincidence.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Rammstein816

With McCabe (not really soft), Lepkowski, MacKenzie, and Austin I think the Sabres are fine.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:20 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWook View Post
Im not sure about the players in this draft, but I would also like to see a big, mobile defensive defensemen in our prospect pool.

I know we have guys like Lepkowski and Austin but they are projects and likely have limited upside. McNabb has been pretty disappointing so far this year.
I wouldn't agree with the bolded. Austin has looked really good as well this year.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:35 AM
TheWook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
I wouldn't agree with the bolded. Austin has looked really good as well this year.
Thats good to hear since I dont really follow either of them very much. I was just going off the fact that later draft picks are usually projects and alot dont really pan out.

TheWook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
With McCabe (not really soft), Lepkowski, MacKenzie, and Austin I think the Sabres are fine.
McCabe is small and he is not a bruiser by any means.
I doubt Lepowski, Mackenzie, or Austin will even play a game in he NHL

Last edited by Superhero: 12-25-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 02:30 PM
kirby11

Yeah, this is a bit of an issue, but they definitely need to add more top end forward talent through the draft IMO. having armia, grigs, and girgs is nice, but after that, adam's really the only guy who could get into our top 6 (idk how he's doing this year in rochester, hopefully he's bounced back at least a bit from his slide last year?)

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Disengage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Yeah, this is a bit of an issue, but they definitely need to add more top end forward talent through the draft IMO. having armia, grigs, and girgs is nice, but after that, adam's really the only guy who could get into our top 6 (idk how he's doing this year in rochester, hopefully he's bounced back at least a bit from his slide last year?)
Corey Tropp.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
Corey Tropp.
I'm a huge Tropp fan and I think he's very underrated, I don't see him as a lock for a top 6 position, but I can see him filling in should injuries pile up and we need him to play there.

We had him playing with Gaustad and Gerbe, I would've liked to see what he could do with Vanek and Hodgson for a whole year.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Moskau

6'1 200 is small now?

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:13 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
McCabe is small and he is not a bruiser by any means.
I doubt Lepowski, Mackenzie, or Autin will even play a game in he NHL
I'd take that bet. Although it may not be with the Sabres with their backlog of Dmen.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 06:28 PM
tsujimoto74

None of those players lack size. Pysyk isn't overly physical, but he certainly will go into the corners and do what needs to be done. Brennan can be a very physical player, though I question his upside as an NHL player given his poor decision-making in his own end. Don't feel I've seen enough of JGL or McCabe to comment on the type of game they play.
In any case, I still feel the organization's biggest need, and what should be our focus in this draft, is for more quality/skilled forwards, particularly wingers (now that we've got Ennis, Hodgson, Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Catenacci as (potential) options down the middle). If we need a physical 2nd or 3rd pairing d-man, it shouldn't be too hard to pick one up as an FA or in a trade.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:42 AM
Imlach a cup

Tough physical dmen and third line centers is a great place to infuse playoff experience into a roster. Generally they are the last people to get resigned and are usually available for trades around deadline time. I'd rather draft goal scoring talent and scavenge for role players.

Imlach a cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:57 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Pysyk is neither small nor soft.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:01 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Tough physical dmen and third line centers is a great place to infuse playoff experience into a roster. Generally they are the last people to get resigned and are usually available for trades around deadline time. I'd rather draft goal scoring talent and scavenge for role players.
Bingo.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 07:49 AM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Exactly.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote