HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 03:55 PM
DevsFan30

vCash: 500
Saturday's WJC Exhibition Activity:

Blake Pietila - 1 goal, +1, 2 PIM (slash), 4 shots, won 2 of 5 draws, played 15:24 in USA's 5-1 loss vs. Finland
Stefan Matteau - -1, 12 PIM (check to head, misconduct), played 4:36 for USA
*Pietila actually led all USA forward in ice time

Old
12-23-2012, 06:32 AM
Devils1029

Matteau last forward cut from team USA.

He didn't get much ice time and didn't do anything with the time he did get. Think he was told to keep his cool but the headshot/misconduct blew it for him?

Only Petilla left on Team USA for NJ prospects (so Boucher in the camp, then not invited back and now Matteau cut) - Guess I won't be getting up at 3am to watch any games...

Old
12-23-2012, 07:00 AM
Jack Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post

He didn't get much ice time and didn't do anything with the time he did get. Think he was told to keep his cool but the headshot/misconduct blew it for him?

Only Petilla left on Team USA for NJ prospects (so Boucher in the camp, then not invited back and now Matteau cut) - Guess I won't be getting up at 3am to watch any games...
I don't think the misconduct had anything to do with it. He played 4 mins before he took that penalty, obviously they weren't impressed with how he was playing.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:14 AM
FirmestPiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
I don't think the misconduct had anything to do with it. He played 4 mins before he took that penalty, obviously they weren't impressed with how he was playing.
I don't really think he got a chance. Had 8 mins in the first game and as you said 4 in the second. They said they would give more time to players who were on the bubble (at least in the first game), and most of them did except Matteau which I found kinda strange. Guys like Barber, Vesey, Kuraly and others hade opportunities to show what they could do but Matteau didn't get that chance really.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post

Matteau didn't look good when playing. Like someone noted, his skating isn't one of his strengths which will make him somewhat of a liability on an Olympic-size rink. He wasn't bringing any notable offense and wasn't used in any special teams role (Biggs was playing PK). He's just too raw right now for a tournament like this, where they are looking for more complete guys. Biggs missed the tournament the last year for somewhat of the same reason.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Moe Syzlak

For the life of me I will never understand why the Devils wasted that first round pick on Matteau? As if the fact that they knew they had to give up a first rounder in the next three years wasn't enough, they were basically gift wrapped this selection to give it up but instead they take a guy who will never be anything more than a third line winger (a poor man's Mike Rupp which his saying something).

Lou just forgot about the deadline thing didn't he? Because there's no logical explanation for it otherwise.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

...again. How little is enough to get this debate going again. Amusing.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Lou didn't forget. Remember who we're talking about here. Lou doesn't forget anything.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Lou didn't forget. Remember who we're talking about here. Lou doesn't forget anything.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...strachan_slam/

Yes he does.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Moe Syzlak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
...again. How little is enough to get this debate going again. Amusing.
How about that Matteau sucks and got cut from the world junior team? Is that not enough?

Old
12-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Syzlak View Post
For the life of me I will never understand why the Devils wasted that first round pick on Matteau? As if the fact that they knew they had to give up a first rounder in the next three years wasn't enough, they were basically gift wrapped this selection to give it up but instead they take a guy who will never be anything more than a third line winger (a poor man's Mike Rupp which his saying something).

Lou just forgot about the deadline thing didn't he? Because there's no logical explanation for it otherwise.
There were rumors the Devils kept it to draft Jankowski around the draft. However, I think Lou's theory is that a 29th overall pick with one or two more years of development is better than what you can find in a majority of the next two first rounds. It's an understandable theory, the only way it comes back to bite you in the ass is if we have a very bad year the year we have to give up our pick. Otherwise, if we stay in the 20 or so range when drafting, I think Matteau with a year or two experience is more valuable.

Matteau is a pretty safe prospect and if he rounds out his offense he can be a hell of a player. Some have drawn the Lucic comparison as a possibility. What you get with Matteau is pretty much a fourth liner at the very least, and he can be anywhere from a Rupp to someone like Downie to Lucic. He is still pretty raw.

Quote:
How about that Matteau sucks and got cut from the world junior team? Is that not enough?
Matteau is still a very raw prospect. In a tournament like the WJC, they need complete players on a short roster. Matteau also has next year to earn a spot on the roster. When it comes down to it, Matteau's skating isn't strong enough for Olympic sized ice, his game isn't polished enough for a tournament, and he doesn't play PK and/or PP to make him useful in a specialty role. Matteau needs to round out his game before he becomes a viable candidate for a WJC spot, it's the same thing that happened to Biggs last year.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Troll away, please.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:48 AM
CerebralGenesis

Woah. This is great lol

A little harsh on the kid but I was never a major supporter of the selection so I'll return to my seat and enjoy the rest of the show.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Jack Griffin

"We should have forfeited the Matteau pick" is going to be the new "We should have drafted Carlson".

Old
12-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Matteau is a pretty safe prospect and if he rounds out his offense he can be a hell of a player. Some have drawn the Lucic comparison as a possibility. What you get with Matteau is pretty much a fourth liner at the very least, and he can be anywhere from a Rupp to someone like Downie to Lucic. He is still pretty raw.

Matteau is still a very raw prospect. In a tournament like the WJC, they need complete players on a short roster. Matteau also has next year to earn a spot on the roster. When it comes down to it, Matteau's skating isn't strong enough for Olympic sized ice, his game isn't polished enough for a tournament, and he doesn't play PK and/or PP to make him useful in a specialty role. Matteau needs to round out his game before he becomes a viable candidate for a WJC spot, it's the same thing that happened to Biggs last year.
These are usually opposites, but you're claiming both here. What I think you're trying to say is that his high end skill is a little raw, but he can still fall back on a career as an effective bottom 6 grinder even if he never becomes a star power forward. Basically the point is that he could become anything from Steve Bernier to Gabriel Landeskog, but he probably will make the NHL.

And I don't think we were trying to draft Jankowski. That pick looks very strange for the Flames.

Quote:
"We should have forfeited the Matteau pick" is going to be the new "We should have drafted Carlson".
It already is.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Darius Dangleaitis
Padowan Kovalchuk

Quote:
Holy mackerel

Old
12-23-2012, 11:47 AM
CerebralGenesis

I would have guessed Lou would have tried for a goaltender, more along the lines of Vasilevski, when he kept the pick. But that would have been a pretty odd and strange strategy if that were true.

Old
12-23-2012, 12:07 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
People are bloody idiots on here. Should I post a list of NHLers who were cut from their world jr team? And now he's a "poor man's mike rupp? LOLOLOL

Never change HF, never change..

Old
12-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Hey is there a Hugh Jass here ?

Old
12-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Moe Syzlak

Man, some of you guys are unbelievable. Apparently it's sacrilegious to say anything remotely bad about a Devils prospect around here? The news that Matteau got cut merely made me remember about how much of a waste that pick was. But I guess since the draft was months ago, it isn't enough to warrant a discussion about the pick? And that also somehow led to someone trying to make it out about how other players have been cut over the years for that tournament? Are you only allowed to discuss certain things at certain times around this place?

I said that I never liked the pick of Matteau in the first place, wasn't surprised that he got cut from Team USA and don't think he'll turn in to a good NHLer and I guess I should be burned at the stake for saying or thinking such ludicrous things? And he's not a poor man's Mike Rupp because he got cut. He's a poor man's Mike Rupp because that's what he is.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Jack Griffin

We need to go deeper... so I'm going to complain about your complaining of people complaining about you complaining about Matteau.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Devils731

Quote:
We need to go deeper... so I'm going to complain about your complaining of people complaining about you complaining about Matteau.
I now appeal to some draft ranking to prove I'm right about a guy drafted a few months ago. I have trumped all arguments.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Man, some of you guys are unbelievable. Apparently it's sacrilegious to say anything remotely bad about a Devils prospect around here? The news that Matteau got cut merely made me remember about how much of a waste that pick was. But I guess since the draft was months ago, it isn't enough to warrant a discussion about the pick? And that also somehow led to someone trying to make it out about how other players have been cut over the years for that tournament? Are you only allowed to discuss certain things at certain times around this place?

I said that I never liked the pick of Matteau in the first place, wasn't surprised that he got cut from Team USA and don't think he'll turn in to a good NHLer and I guess I should be burned at the stake for saying or thinking such ludicrous things? And he's not a poor man's Mike Rupp because he got cut. He's a poor man's Mike Rupp because that's what he is.
If you can 100% say he's a poor mans Mike Rupp then maybe you should be a scout. You apparently have a nack for it. Or so you think anyway.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion, but don't be surprised when people ridicule you for judging a prospect so quickly. Furthermore, you're judging him now because of a triggering event (getting cut from the WJC team) that happens to many good players. It seems very premature.

And "poor man's Mike Rupp" seems like absurd hyperbole designed to incite angry responses, rather than honest analysis of his game. Matteau is likely to be a decent third liner at the worst, and that's already better than Rupp.

Old
12-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Yeah seriously..."poor man's Mike Rupp" will lose you all your credibility. If you were looking for a discussion, maybe don't be such a dick about it.

A poor man's Mike Rupp would be like...Eric Boulton. I'd already rather have Matteau on a fourth line than him.

Closed Thread