HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bure or Ovechkin

Old
05-29-2006, 10:19 PM
barfy2000

vCash: 500
Well, considering we already know how Bure's career turned out and all the injuries he had, I would think one would have to take Ovechkin. But if we were starting a franchise, and knowing that both would be healthy for their entire careers, I would take Bure.

And Bure wasn't terrible defensively. When he applied himself, he wasn't a standout, but he had more than a few moments I can remember when he backchecked very effectively and turned the entire play around.

barfy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 10:37 PM
Bloody Sabbath

Send a message via MSN to Bloody Sabbath
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Block
So, he would get you almost 1-2 points a game, put that in with the new NHL and omg, raise that bar to 2-3 or points a game.
serious? lol...

ovechkin easily - no disrespect to bure.

Bloody Sabbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2006, 11:22 PM
David Puddy

During his NHL career, Bure was named to the First All-Star Team once and the Second All-Star Team once. He also won the Calder and two Rocket Richards.

I would be willing to take the gamble that Ovechkin will out do that. He will likely win the Calder Trophy, and even if Crosby edges him out, both Ovechkin and Crosby's rookie campaigns are for the ages, much better than Bure's rookie year.

Ovechkin has a very good chance at being named to one of the All-Star Teams as well. I could see him being First All-Star Team left wing. Ovechkin could also win some Art Ross Trophies before he is done.

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 08:35 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Ovechkin has a very good chance at being named to one of the All-Star Teams as well. I could see him being First All-Star Team left wing.
Yeah, now that I think about it, he really was the best LW in the league this year.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 09:23 AM
Cors

Send a message via ICQ to Cors
Now and today I would take Bure, who does not create in the 90 ' twice 60 Goals to obtain in addition two times 58,59 may is so fast forgotten.

Cors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2006, 11:55 AM
barfy2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Ovechkin has a very good chance at being named to one of the All-Star Teams as well. I could see him being First All-Star Team left wing. Ovechkin could also win some Art Ross Trophies before he is done.
And Bure could have to had he been healthy. Fact is, Ovechkin's career could end up in the exact same way Bure's did. With a whole lot of injuries. He might suffer a career ender on the first game of the season. Actually, I think Alex has more of a chance to be injured during his career because of the style he plays.

I'm not sure I would take potential over actual results right now.

barfy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2006, 07:59 PM
XploD

It's surprising that people say "look, Bure just got one First All-star team selection" and "Ovechkin will outdo Bure's career numbers"... Of course he will do better in that area, Bure was injured for most part of his career. But when Bure was healthy, did we ever see a greater goal scorer in the NHL? Every season the guy played more than 70 games he scored more than 50 goals and we're talking about the dead puck era. Had he not had the knee injuries he'd been selected to the first All-Star team every single year. If he'd played this year he probably would've stacked up some 60+ goals if not 70+. The guy was the most exciting player ever to play the game.

I don't know if I'd gone with Ovy or Bure here but since Bure has proven himself again and againd I'd probably go with him.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:34 AM
bastone

Ovechkin,but Bure was a very good hockey player.With his speed in the new nhl he would be flying

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2006, 12:35 AM
bastone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricktml
serious? lol...

ovechkin easily - no disrespect to bure.

Nice avator

bastone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 02:28 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I'm not going to sway either way on the Ovechkin/Bure dispute until Ovechkin has played 3 years at least in the NHL. I can say though that I prefer Ovechkin's style of play and his enthusiasm a whole lot.

As for the Lindros/Thornton debate, Lindros by a mile in his prime. It was more then points for Lindros, opposing teams feared him. If you got in his way he'd run you over. If you were clutching and grabbing he'd throw you off. The man was an absolute beast.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Talent Analyst

Don't see much Bure play , but I think that if Ovy continous like that , he will have a better career than Bure

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote