HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2012, 04:47 PM
bambamcam4ever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Let's see what the Steelers do with this team in the offseason.

As much as people may deny it, we're pretty set on offense.

On defense, we need to seriously upgrade the secondary, we need better CB and safety depth.

We could use another outside linebacker.

We should probably draft a WR at some point in the 2013 draft.
The Steelers have led the league in opponents' passing yards per attempt 5 of the past 6 years, I don't think defensive backs should be their biggest concern, even though their secondary is getting older.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:52 PM
sniugneP

We should be no lower than 20th in draft. We might go high as 14th depending next week's results.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:52 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Out of all the Pittsburgh teams in the past, the Bylsma/Tomlin way of coaching where they accept all responsibility has killed us. There is ZERO accountability game to game between both teams. The coaches just say "That's on me" at the end and the players maintain their positive atmosphere. At least under MT/Cowher the players had a burden on their shoulders each time they messed up.

I thought I loved Tomlin's way of coaching and it's really run it's course. I haven't seen a great coaching move by him for a long time.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I wasn't talking about that pass. I was talking about since Ben was back from injury, he wasn't same. Same thing with last year when he got high ankle injury.
With Ben, you give him time and he'll make the play injured or not. He certainly can be classed as being rushed all game. The last play was no different, and he muffed it up.

I'd take Ben injured to play before any other QB in the league, there's simply no other I feel can do what he does on a regular basis.

This has a mixture of both the line, the running, and terrible play calling to be blamed right along with, Ben.

The Defense held up enough to win the game, with how many turnovers.

Two picks certainly are on, Ben, but it's not all on him, things lead up to those.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Sivek

I still think the OL needs to be a huge point of interest for the team.

-Starks is an average player and old.

-Colon is the most injury-prone player in the league and not good enough to hang wishes on that he'll be able to play a full schedule. He's an okay player when healthy, but it's not like he's a prime Steve Hutchinson when he's out there. If your OL depends on him being healthy to be decent, you have a problem.

-Pouncey is good, but tends to get dinged and miss time. Also seriously needs to work on his shotgun snaps.

-Adams was solid as a run-blocker but a turnstile without help as a pass-blocker. Have a hard time seeing him being a LT without being a much improved pass blocker.

-DeCastro hasn't played enough to get a serious opinion.

-Foster is just another guy, had to laugh when he got ragdolled today, don't see that happen very often to lineman.

-Beauchim played well for a 7th round pick. He didn't do much in the run game and didn't completely embarrass himself in pass protection for a guy who played a lot at guard in college. Might be a useful swing guy in the future.

-Legursky is crap at guard, okay as a center.

I just don't see anything special there unless DeCastro and Adams each take a big step forward and Pouncey can show he can play a full season.

Last edited by Sivek: 12-23-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old
12-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Out of all the Pittsburgh teams in the past, the Bylsma/Tomlin way of coaching where they accept all responsibility has killed us. There is ZERO accountability game to game between both teams. The coaches just say "That's on me" at the end and the players maintain their positive atmosphere. At least under MT/Cowher the players had a burden on their shoulders each time they messed up.

I thought I loved Tomlin's way of coaching and it's really run it's course. I haven't seen a great coaching move by him for a long time.
I'm clearly on page with this.

Both coaches walked into goldmines and have not figured out how to keep the supply coming. With obstructions there's only solutions, and they've failed more than they have progressed.

As I watch Tomlin take full responsibility.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Sivek

Tomlin is on Andy Reid levels on clock management. Rooneys need to drill it into him or hire a guy to tell him how to manage the clock at the end of the halves.

Also think it was telling that the Steelers lead the league in points scored in the final minutes of the half when the team is primarily in no huddle and Ben calling plays. This for a offense that didn't put up a ton of points otherwise. Haley's play-calling definitely had something to do with that.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
We need inside LB. Foote is aging.

We might have to draft a RB in middle rounds if Mendy isn't coming back.
I agree, I think we drafted Foote's replacement though, IMO. Sean Spence.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Also, unless anyone objects, I think I'm going to segregate the sports threads again with this being the football thread and making a separate baseball thread. There's been far more off-season baseball talk than usual and I want to keep an active discussion for bowl season, the NFL playoffs, and the witch hunt for just who's fault this season is.

Quote:
Agreed. Hopefully he'll come back from the injury, but I fully believe he has what it takes to be a damn good NFL ILB. We need to be looking towards the outside. Woodley isn't worth anything near his contract at this point, Harrison can still play but his days as a dominant pass rusher are obviously behind him, and Worilds is nothing more than a solid fill-in...after that we've got nothing.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-23-2012, 05:13 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
It's too early to tell. Spence is too light for that position, IMO.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:14 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Also, unless anyone objects, I think I'm going to segregate the sports threads again with this being the football thread and making a separate baseball thread. There's been far more off-season baseball talk than usual and I want to keep an active discussion for bowl season, the NFL playoffs, and the witch hunt for just who's fault this season is.
I'm fine with that.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:15 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Woodley needs to be cut w/o a doubt.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

Quote:
It's too early to tell. Spence is too light for that position, IMO.
You can always put on weight, but you can't teach his mind for the game.

Spence's football IQ is through the roof. James Farrior was never a physical specimen, but he was a damn good ILB for a long time because of his mind for the game...Spence is cut from that same cloth.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:21 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
You can always put on weight, but you can't teach his mind for the game.

Spence's football IQ is through the roof. James Farrior was never a physical specimen, but he was a damn good ILB for a long time because of his mind for the game...Spence is cut from that same cloth.
I hope you're right.

I checked with Steelers website. Foote is 6'1" and 239. Spence is 5'11" and 230. Close enough.

Last edited by sniugneP: 12-23-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old
12-23-2012, 05:22 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Amazing that Tomlin takes responsibility for this game. Accountability is all lost. What a ****ing joke.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

I wonder the percentage we used the no huddle?

We're also more successful than not with it.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:38 PM
SomeDude

I'm not going to say I was hoping they would lose, as that's not true, but I'm not heartbroken to see this season end. Can't remember a Steelers team that I have hated so many players on as this. Hopefully there will be a shake up this off-season.

I'd say this game could have been a "changing of guards" of sorts, but the Bengals tried their darndest to Bungle it. It's lucky they were playing us. They're the same old team, the Steelers are not, however.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:40 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Holy ****ing hilarious title, Big.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator

I'm far less heartbroken than I have been in years past.

Simply put this team does not deserve to be in the playoffs, and the only way to guarantee that some sort of change would happen was for us to miss out despite an awful AFC around us.

I won't be calling for any coaches' heads just right now, but Tomlin's incessant absorption of blame is nothing short of infuriating right now.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:05 PM
bradshaw06

This whole year has been awful, from the loss to the broncos, to the pens losing to the flyers, the bucs falling on their face and now this.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Snooki Stackhouse

Should be an interesting offseason.

What a bad first year for Haley. It seems the most brilliant plays from the offense this year have been broken plays. They haven't had an easy win all season due to the lack of consistency drive-to-drive on offense. Past years' offenses were frustrating due to red zone mishaps. Maybe I'm just confused, but it seems that there were no such frustrations this year because 90% of drives didn't make it to the redzone. They lost field position battles constantly as a result.

Frankly, I'm content with the defense this year. The secondary has improved immensely - what a year from Lewis! Next year Ike and Lewis look to be a dependable duo.

My goat this year is the offense. Taking the last half of the season - an implosion of such an embarrassing magnitude (seriously, 5 of 6 to finish the season is unacceptable) - games followed similar scripts week-to-week. The offense comes out unprepared and flat, the opponents slowly accumulate points, and the team enters a dogfight and can't recover.

Canning Arians was bold and actually excited me. Tecmo Bowl Todd has not endeared himself to this city to say the least. His offense was ****ing terrible in my opinion. The draft and FA can't fix THAT.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:31 PM
JTG

Tank it Steelers. Right now, we're picking 14th or so. Can definitely get a difference maker there, and would be in prime position to move back because some high quality guys are going to drop, if we could somehow get the player we wanted in the late teens or 20's, pick up another pick in the top 3 rounds...that'd seriously aid a mini retool.

This offense has been pretty terrible, but I'm still willing to give Haley another year. I like some of the things I've seen from the offense. I think a huge problem is that this running game has never been respected. I'd like to see us bring in a guy like Steven Jackson.

I think with one more year, we can get a healthy offensive line, and the running game will be fine. The wideout situation definitely needs to be sorted out. I'd play hardball with Mike Wallace. Not a shot he should be getting paid top 5 money in this league long term.

My big beef this season has been the completely stupid play of some of these guys on offense along with a complete inability to hold on to the ball by the who lot of receivers and runningbacks.

This is a great offseason for Colbert to make a splash and dabble in the free agency market. I know we want to build through the draft, but the fact remains, we don't have enough draft picks, nor do we have enough time to build this team organically. We have a stud QB in his prime...have got to put a team around him now to make multiple runs.

Last edited by JTG: 12-23-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old
12-23-2012, 07:05 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradshaw06 View Post
This whole year has been awful, from the loss to the broncos, to the pens losing to the flyers, the bucs falling on their face and now this.
Amen.

Just terrible.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Goalie_Bob
1992 Vezina (2nd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
This is a great offseason for Colbert to make a splash and dabble in the free agency market. I know we want to build through the draft, but the fact remains, we don't have enough draft picks, nor do we have enough time to build this team organically. We have a stud QB in his prime...have got to put a team around him now to make multiple runs.
Jake Long. There is a bunch of rumblings that the Dolphins don't want to pay him. Make it happen Kevin. As long as it doesn't cost a 1st.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:32 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Bob View Post
Jake Long. There is a bunch of rumblings that the Dolphins don't want to pay him. Make it happen Kevin. As long as it doesn't cost a 1st.
If the Dolphins don't want to pay him, then Colbert surely won't, but yeah...having a franchise type LT here for the next 10 or so years would be awesome. He'd instantly give us the best line in the league by a pretty wide margin.

Long-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Adams with Foster and Gilbert as fill in's. Awesome stuff.

Closed Thread