HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Official U17 World Hockey Challenge Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-23-2012, 04:10 PM
  #51
Torts
Registered User
 
Torts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,467
vCash: 500
any idea who will be replacing McKeown?

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:16 PM
  #52
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,105
vCash: 500
Team Ontario is ridiculous with size for 16 year-olds.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:27 PM
  #53
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Why isnt Nylander playing for Canada?
Why would he?

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:49 PM
  #54
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Why isnt Nylander playing for Canada?
He's Swedish, with two Swedish parents, plays in Sweden and considers himself Swedish. His dad actually played for Team Sweden himself and is one of the best Swedish players ever.

- I only want to play for Team Sweden, there's nothing else for me, says William Nylander Altelius.
http://translate.google.se/translate...lander&act=url

Why would he want to play for Canada? He was born there but has actually lived more in the US than he has in Canada.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:20 PM
  #55
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
He's Swedish, with two Swedish parents, plays in Sweden and considers himself Swedish. His dad actually played for Team Sweden himself and is one of the best Swedish players ever.

- I only want to play for Team Sweden, there's nothing else for me, says William Nylander Altelius.
http://translate.google.se/translate...lander&act=url

Why would he want to play for Canada? He was born there but has actually lived more in the US than he has in Canada.
Just wondering, Olaf Kolzig was born in Germany but grew up in Canada but played for Germany.

Then why doesn't he play for the USA? Sounds like he has grown up there more than anywhere.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:23 PM
  #56
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
any idea who will be replacing McKeown?
I heard McKeown will be ok to play?

Also, was Ekblad hurt or is he still playing for Team Ontario?

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:25 PM
  #57
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Just wondering, Olaf Kolzig was born in Germany but grew up in Canada but played for Germany.

Then why doesn't he play for the USA? Sounds like he has grown up there more than anywhere.
As far as I know, he's not a US citizen - Until a recent IIHF ruling, he couldn't by IIHF rules represent any country in a IIHF sanctioned tournament.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:27 PM
  #58
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
As far as I know, he's not a US citizen - Until a recent IIHF ruling, he couldn't by IIHF rules represent any country in a IIHF sanctioned tournament.
Well he could represent Canada, probably in his best interest to play for Canada if I were him.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:45 PM
  #59
Jim Morrison
Registered User
 
Jim Morrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Well he could represent Canada, probably in his best interest to play for Canada if I were him.
No, he could not represent any country. But he wanted to play for Sweden as he's Swedish for the reasons I listed above.

Also, why would it be in his best interest to play for Canada?

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:22 PM
  #60
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Well he could represent Canada, probably in his best interest to play for Canada if I were him.
Canada was loaded in net for most of Kolzig's career... Not exactly a stretch to say he might not have made the top teams (Olympics for instance)

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:28 AM
  #61
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Well he could represent Canada, probably in his best interest to play for Canada if I were him.
So, when did he play two consecutive seasons in Canada?

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:43 AM
  #62
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
As far as I know, he's not a US citizen - Until a recent IIHF ruling, he couldn't by IIHF rules represent any country in a IIHF sanctioned tournament.
Those rules only applied if you had dual citizenship.


In other words, if Kolzig were a citizen of the US, grew up in the US and never set foot in Germany, but was also a German citizen, he would not be allowed to play for Germany.

If however he somehow ended up in the US, was not a citizen, still never set foot in Germany, but was a German citizen, he would have been fine.


Of course they gave that up, quite rightly in my opinion.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:19 AM
  #63
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Those rules only applied if you had dual citizenship.


In other words, if Kolzig were a citizen of the US, grew up in the US and never set foot in Germany, but was also a German citizen, he would not be allowed to play for Germany.

If however he somehow ended up in the US, was not a citizen, still never set foot in Germany, but was a German citizen, he would have been fine.


Of course they gave that up, quite rightly in my opinion.
Then again, we're talking about William Nylander, not Olaf Kölzig.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:20 AM
  #64
helicecopter
Registered User
 
helicecopter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: give me higher shots
Posts: 7,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Well he could represent Canada, probably in his best interest to play for Canada if I were him.
really no idea why he would represent Canada (not sure why it would be in his best interest either, lol), i guess Sundin should have as well

helicecopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:22 AM
  #65
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
Then again, we're talking about William Nylander, not Olaf Kölzig.
Then again, the rule would have still been the same.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:29 AM
  #66
Trotzig
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Then again, the rule would have still been the same.
Yeah, I was talking about the fact that the only country whom Nylander has played two or more consecutive seasons in is the USA.

Trotzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:40 AM
  #67
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
Yeah, I was talking about the fact that the only country whom Nylander has played two or more consecutive seasons in is the USA.
And as a non US citizen he would have been fine to play for Sweden under the old rules.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:44 AM
  #68
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,758
vCash: 500
This has been discussed before. Nylander was born in Canada, has lived in the U.S. and now resides in Sweden. He holds citizenship in Canada and Sweden, in both which he never spent enough time to play in IIHF competition. But since he now lives in Sweden, both his parents are Swedish, he wants to play for Sweden and he would've been eligible for Sweden starting next season he got an exemption. I don't believe he would've gotten an exemption to play for Canada, because he holds absolutely no ties there.

He could however have played for Canada in this tournament because it's not IIHF, but moot point since he's made a decision.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 07:08 AM
  #69
Flynn84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Russia
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
What about Arkhip Nekolenko, why he is not in the Russian's roster?

Flynn84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 09:48 AM
  #70
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
This has been discussed before. Nylander was born in Canada, has lived in the U.S. and now resides in Sweden. He holds citizenship in Canada and Sweden, in both which he never spent enough time to play in IIHF competition. But since he now lives in Sweden, both his parents are Swedish, he wants to play for Sweden and he would've been eligible for Sweden starting next season he got an exemption. I don't believe he would've gotten an exemption to play for Canada, because he holds absolutely no ties there.

He could however have played for Canada in this tournament because it's not IIHF, but moot point since he's made a decision.
I think it's pretty clear that Hab4ever isn't really asking why a very legit top 5 pick isn't playing for Canada but rather complaining a bit about it.

If he was just another guy there wouldn't be the "interest".

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:44 PM
  #71
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Team Ontario is ridiculous with size for 16 year-olds.
They put the boots to the Slovaks tonite!!

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
  #72
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Ontario puts up another 10 spot, hammer Atlantic 11-1!!

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 06:52 PM
  #73
Pilgore88
Registered User
 
Pilgore88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Coast
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabLover View Post
Ontario puts up another 10 spot, hammer Atlantic 11-1!!
Yup this group is insanely talented for Ontario. Atlantic has a good team, they got put into a very, very stacked division with Ontario, Quebec and USA.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:16 PM
  #74
herbst20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 464
vCash: 500
Crazy to think that the tournament favorite Ontario doesn't even make the medal round.

herbst20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.