HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

2012-13 NBA Season Thread: A depressing alternative to the NHL Lockout

Old
12-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Officer Rod Farva
Do You Even Lift Bro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
damarcus cousins reportedly wants out of sacramento. Bulls are interested but are pressed to the cap. Nets have shown heavy interest in the past. Marshon brooks + a couple 1st rounders?
nooooooooooooo

Officer Rod Farva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
pretty much every good friend ive ever had is a sports fan. I have never known a single person who is a rangers and nets fan. Its just a strange combo.

I usually mention this to someone every once in a while but the ny/nj teams fans most often align like this for some reason:

yankees/giants/devils/nets
mets/jets/rangers/knicks

obviously there are overlaps and exceptions, but thats how i see it personally. Aside from the basketball teams, you have the winning teams together and the losing teams together.
Agree 100% . Most align like how you have said. Only change here is Im a Jets fan not a Giants fan

Devils Trap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Cousins is a god damn headcase

you don't want him

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Apice I'm Rangers Yankees Bills Nets.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Mgd31

Where at seeing that the Bulls are interested in Cousins?

Mgd31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:45 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
Where at seeing that the Bulls are interested in Cousins?
There's a Nets blogger who has connections on the inside that was tweeting about it. It may have just been speculation based on being a good fits for each other, but the Bulls are cap pressed.

I'd like for Cousins the player to come to the Nets, but everyone knew he was going to be a headcase coming out of college. The Nets are a team that thrives on chemistry (and were doing great job prior to the Lopez injury) and Cousins would probably ruin it.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:49 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Apice I'm Rangers Yankees Bills Nets.
Yeah there are exceptions. I'm Devils, Nets, Colts, Red Sox I'm just saying if you surveyed Northern/Central NJ sports fans, those two 4-team parallels would be the most common, especially among those who are fans of local teams across all 4 leagues.

Football is probably the most interchangeable because every team has fans all over the country. It's the least localized sport among the big 4 because of the easy visual access to games. I actually had a discussion with a friend yesterday about how many fan bases our friendships cover. I realized I have a friend in every football fan base except the Browns, Seahawks, Panthers, and Cardinals.

It pretty much stems from the YankeeNet corporation. Kind of like sister teams across sports. Then the Devils played in the same arena as the Nets so you have those 3 together. The personalities of those 3 fan bases reflect the Giants fan base more than the Jets. Pretty much how I came to the grouping.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Yeah, 2013, 15, and 17 are still available.

Cousins is a solid player but he's one of the biggest headcases in the league.
So I assume this means the last CBA got rid of the old rule preventing a team from trading its first rounder in consecutive years? Or does that rule still exist (which would be exactly the reason they have 13, 15, and 17 after trading 12, 14, and 16)

Scott04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:25 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
So I assume this means the last CBA got rid of the old rule preventing a team from trading its first rounder in consecutive years? Or does that rule still exist (which would be exactly the reason they have 13, 15, and 17 after trading 12, 14, and 16)
I'm not really familiar with the NBA CBA. Too many trade exceptions, salary cap exemptions, and loaning rules. It's too complicated for me. It could be a rule but could also be a coincidence.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Scott04

Quote:
I'm not really familiar with the NBA CBA. Too many trade exceptions, salary cap exemptions, and loaning rules. It's too complicated for me. It could be a rule but could also be a coincidence.
I know it always used to be a rule preventing you from doing it. I really just have no idea if they got rid of it or not. It would make more sense that its not a coincidence that those are the picks the Nets have left, especially given how long that rule was in place. The thing that confuses me about it is how lottery protections on picks impact it. If you're not allowed to trade your pick consecutive years, what happens when your pick falls in a protected spot? These "conditions" make it a major pain to follow.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:39 PM
apice3*

Quote:
I know it always used to be a rule preventing you from doing it. I really just have no idea if they got rid of it or not. It would make more sense that its not a coincidence that those are the picks the Nets have left, especially given how long that rule was in place. The thing that confuses me about it is how lottery protections on picks impact it. If you're not allowed to trade your pick consecutive years, what happens when your pick falls in a protected spot? These "conditions" make it a major pain to follow.
Yeah, it's a really complicated set of rules. The lotto protection is cool though because it can help prevent tanking.

My thought process is if you're trading multiple firsts, your getting a solid player and you're playing to win now, so chances are you'll be drafting late so lotto protection probably isn't really practical.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
#MeloForMVP

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 10:12 AM
apice3*

Apparently I was mistaken. Nets have all their 1st rounders left. Nets blogger tweeted they no longer have interest in Cousins.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Scott04

Quote:
Apparently I was mistaken. Nets have all their 1st rounders left. Nets blogger tweeted they no longer have interest in Cousins.
The confusion probably came from the fact that all of those 1st rounders they had/traded were from other teams? If I remember correctly, didn't they have like 4 1st rounders over a 2 year period before some of those trades? Dealt at least one for Johnson and Wallace, and a couple for Deron Williams. Must have just gotten rid of the stockpile and little else.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:14 AM
apice3*

Quote:
The confusion probably came from the fact that all of those 1st rounders they had/traded were from other teams? If I remember correctly, didn't they have like 4 1st rounders over a 2 year period before some of those trades? Dealt at least one for Johnson and Wallace, and a couple for Deron Williams. Must have just gotten rid of the stockpile and little else.
The pick from the Wallace trade was already used.

I think the JJ trade, they traded a Houston Rockets 1st rounder that was obtained in a previous Terrence Williams trade. But the lotto protection rules have me confused on it.

The Deron Williams picks are all used as well, I believe. He's been here 2 years already. I'm pretty sure they only traded 2 1sts (and Favors and Harris) and one of the picks wasn't even theirs.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Scott04

Quote:
The pick from the Wallace trade was already used.

I think the JJ trade, they traded a Houston Rockets 1st rounder that was obtained in a previous Terrence Williams trade. But the lotto protection rules have me confused on it.

The Deron Williams picks are all used as well, I believe. He's been here 2 years already. I'm pretty sure they only traded 2 1sts (and Favors and Harris) and one of the picks wasn't even theirs.
Yeah, that's what I meant. They had a bunch of picks that were originally from other teams (obviously with varying protections). If I remember correctly, as I'm far too lazy to look it up, I believe one was Houston, maybe one was the Clippers or Timberwolves. I could be mixing this up with the Knicks. But I feel like when it was Nets/Knicks in the race to trade for Carmelo, they were saying the Nets could trade X players and up to 4 1st round picks, with at most 2 of them being their own. Those must have been the ones they were dealing to still have all of their current/future first rounders available.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:32 AM
apice3*

Yeah I know one was the Rockets. I don't remember any trades with the Wolves or Clippers though. I think one of the picks may have been the Warriors but I don't remember how we got it. We also had a Lakers pick from a three team trade with Vujacic.

I think the Wolves trade was the Knicks trade with Wilson Chandler.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Scott04

Quote:
Yeah I know one was the Rockets. I don't remember any trades with the Wolves or Clippers though. I think one of the picks may have been the Warriors but I don't remember how we got it. We also had a Lakers pick from a three team trade with Vujacic.

I think the Wolves trade was the Knicks trade with Wilson Chandler.
Yeah, that sounds right now that you mention it. I definitely remember the Lakers pick being one now, and Warriors sounds right. Wolves/Clippers was probably Knicks. Although Warriors could have been a Knicks pick (because of the David Lee sign and trade). Who knows with this stuff anymore though because one team gets a pick from somewhere and deals it again. Could have been something like Clippers via Pacers via Magic etc for whichever team had a Clippers pick one year.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:31 PM
PacManNJD
Let's get clever.

The Nets are ****ing killing me. 3-10 since starting 11-4.

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

Nets are just being the Nets. I can't even watch them. Same script every game recently.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:11 PM
davebenj

Nets WILL miss the playoffs if they don't fire Avery Johnson. He is the worst coach I have seen in my life.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:14 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebenj View Post
Nets WILL miss the playoffs if they don't fire Avery Johnson. He is the worst coach I have seen in my life.
Guess you didn't watch a lot of 2010-2011 Devil games.

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

God that was such an awful time for us.

Jersey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:27 PM
davebenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
Guess you didn't watch a lot of 2010-2011 Devil games.
Unfortunately I have. Perhaps I would say one of the worst coaches. The first half of that year, I pretty much expected the Devils to lose every night. I've also sat through the 12-70 Nets but at least I knew they were bad and were a lost cause (honestly I was surprised they won 12 games as they got on a little run late in the year. I honestly thought they were going to go like 4-78 that year, no hyperbole.

davebenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:28 PM
kiwidevil

Just watching Lakers/Nuggets. The Nuggets announcers laughing at what the refs call and don't call against Kobe.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote