HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Exhibition • Dec. 22 • Canada 2, Sweden 1 (SO) • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderson View Post
If some part of the hit was illegal, than it's illegal. It doesn't matter one bit whether the rest of the hit was clean. You can also put your ellbow against someone's head while not being late, not jumping or charging in any other way and it still wouldn't be clean. If one of the factors doesn't fit the criteria of a clean hit, and being late is among those, then it isn't a clean hit. People need to stop acting like the timing of the hit is somehow outside the other criteria.

"Finish your check" is such a bs saying. Talk about something that was twisted into something into entirely different. Your were allowed to finish your check because sometimes you were already so close that contact was inevitable. Somehow idiotic coaches turned that in such a way that players go out and "finish their check" way after the puck is gone. That never used to be part of the game back in the days, because hitting an opponent who had already played the puck put you out of position. Now you have players who want to wow with big hits, with a complete disregard to what happens with the puck. That is not a good hit, a good hit can't put your team in a bad position.
A great hit is a hit that takes an opponent out of the play and gets your team the puck, thus creating a chance for offense while the opponent isn't organized properly. Or, in some cases, a hit that stops the opponent in his tracks and gives your team the chance to reorganize.

Nothing wrong with hitting someone right after he passed the puck, wearing an opponent down can help, and you already were in motion for a hit anyway, but these hits long after a pass was made serve no real purpose at all. Either you run into a well prepared opponent, in which case you aren't any better off than he is, or you catch him in a vulnerable moment and risk a big penalty.
People need to stop acting like the timing of the hit caused the injury.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Dado

vCash:
Only just saw the replay. That is one seriously late hit. Nothing that late fits any meaningful definition of "clean". Deserving of suspension, for sure, without question.

If that had been one of our guys on the receiving end of such a hit, we'd be rioting in the streets demanding blood.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:45 PM
Crede777
Deputized

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Only just saw the replay. That is one seriously late hit. Nothing that late fits any meaningful definition of "clean". Deserving of suspension, for sure, without question.

If that had been one of our guys on the end of such a hit, we'd be rioting in the streets demanding blood.
It was just less than 1 second late...

Old
12-23-2012, 06:46 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
It contributed, for sure, as the receiving player was dropping his guard and preparing to transition.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
It was just less than 1 second late...
That is forever for athletes at this level.

Bad hit, I suspect he will get a substantial supplemental.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:47 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Pierre Turgeon should have been bracing himself for the hit. How dare he raise his arms in celebration. Had he been aware of his surroundings he would have ducked Hunter's stick. Totally Turgeon's fault.
Wow, I had no idea Pierre Turgeon played for Sweden and that he magically became under 20. The things you learn on HFBoards

Old
12-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Nope but if a driver intentionally runs them over while they are doing it, he gets full blame in any court of law.
How can anyone prove 'intent' in either case?

Old
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
That is forever for athletes at this level.

Bad hit, I suspect he will get a substantial supplemental.
They usually give 1.5 - 2 seconds before it's considered a "late" hit in North America. Otherwise it's just considered finishing your check.

From the sound of things, sounds like Spott wanted the players to play with more intensity after their 1st exhibition game.

Quote:
"Boone is an aggressive player, he was in hard on the forecheck, he made contact shoulder to shoulder," said Spott. "You can argue that it was late, the puck wasn't there, [so it could have been called] interference, maybe a charge, but ultimately, in our mind, in my mind specifically, there shouldn't be any extra punishment." ... Spott believes the call on Jenner was the most blatant example of what was a series of bad calls by referees Jari-Pekka Pajula and Anssi Salonen, who work in the Finnish Elite League.

Old
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Getting hit after a hockey play is inevitable.
No, it is not, the vast majority of plays on the ice result in no hit at all.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Hurt

Quote:
They usually give 1.5 - 2 seconds before it's considered a "late" hit in North America. Otherwise it's just considered finishing your check.
It's 0.5 seconds. 2 seconds is ages in that fast of a game.

12-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
They usually give 1.5 - 2 seconds before it's considered a "late" hit in North America.
That was the standard from a lifetime ago. The standard in the NHL has been 0.5 seconds for some time now.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:51 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
It contributed, for sure, as the receiving player was dropping his guard and preparing to transition.
One could argue that he had more of a chance to notice the player was coming. The impact caused the injury, if the hit came anymore sooner he would have been even more vulnerable.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
One could argue that he had more of a chance to notice the player was coming.
That, plus telepathic ability, would have told him he was about to get hit.

Anyway, it's all moot. That is a likely suspension by NHL standards, by international standards he may well be gone for the tournament. Don't like it, but it wouldn't be unfair.

We'll find out soon enough.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:57 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:

Anyway, it's all moot. That is a likely suspension by NHL standards, by international standards he may well be gone for the tournament. Don't like it, but it wouldn't be unfair.

I disagree.

In the NHL I highly doubt it'd be a suspension. He didn't elbow, didn't target the head, and didn't leave his feet. Maybe a 5 minute major and a fight, but I think that'd be it.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
No, it is not, the vast majority of plays on the ice result in no hit at all.
From a player's perspective it is, once you have the puck, you have the object of everyone's focus. Players will try to eliminate you from the play and separate you from the puck. Although technically the vast majority of plays end in no hits, players are trained to be aware that after you make a play, you will most likely almost always receive some sort of contact.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Cruor

There's some serious Newspeak going on in this thread, the hit wasn't dirty it was only late (!!!). Yeah that kind of defines dirty you know. There is a time and place for everything, going balls out in a friendly is a bad time.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Although technically the vast majority of plays end in no hits...
Yes, that's what I said.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:14 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Yes, that's what I said.
Well I guess you only see what you want to see. They're were a few more words and sentences after that and before that, but I guess if this is all you want to take out of it then go ahead. Being oblivious is a good way to go for some, but what truly matters is how the players know they need to be aware of whats around them.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:27 PM
ru4reals

I really don't wanna scroll through a million pages so can someone please just give me the score and summarize quickly any highlights if there are any! Thanks!

Old
12-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4reals View Post
I really don't wanna scroll through a million pages so can someone please just give me the score and summarize quickly any highlights if there are any! Thanks!
2-1 (Canada won in the shootout). Pretty dull game. Jenner crunched a Swedish defensemen well after the puck had left his tape and now people are arguing whether he'll get suspended or not. Swedish defenseman broke his arm I believe (?).

Old
12-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Kikizaz

Something which needs to be pointed out. Some people are saying he should be punished extra because the hit resulted in an injury. Jenner already was punished more, that hit is 2 minute charge/interference, but since there was an injury on the play the referees correctly assessed a 5 and a game. Punishment served, lets move on.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:58 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Well put.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:23 AM
masseman3

Quote:
Maybe the reason people are doing it, is because it did ? If Petterson had been a legal target of the hit he would have been prepared and braced himself.

Now he was not, because he had the passed the puck. He appears to have had some sort of misplaced trust in that canadians could actually behave somewhat sportsmanlike, but apparantely he was wrong. I think Petterson knows better now.

Last edited by masseman3: 12-24-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old
12-24-2012, 05:06 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

I kind of hope that other teams knocks canadian players out in pree tournament games consistantly, just to see the reactions from all you ignorant trolls in here

Old
12-24-2012, 05:14 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:

Well - you'd know about telepathy, considering you seem to employ it every other post. You seem to know what the players and refs are thinking....

The punishment served in the game is enough.

Closed Thread