HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 05:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
It doesn't look like Skjei will make the US team. He is scratched today.

Quote:
USA d pairings v Finland: Reilly-Jones; Gostisbehere-Trouba; McCabe-Murphy; Grzelcyk ... Gibson starts, Gillies backs up
https://twitter.com/markhmasters/sta...07511041130496

2 D and 1 F have to be cut.

Quote:
Not dressing for USA today: Skjei, Sieloff, Vesey, Sparks
https://twitter.com/markhmasters/sta...07713722478592

Chris Peters writes the Hockey USA blog. He wrote the team dressed today will probably be the team kept. A little surprising because Skjei played at the US program for 2 years and was part of the U18 WJC teams which won.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 12-22-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old
12-22-2012, 06:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Dec 22, 2012 6:04a

Brady Skjei, Patrick Sieloff and Jim Vesey are the scratches for Team USA. Think they may also be the cuts. #2013WJC

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/chrismpeters/stat...41451059695616

Old
12-22-2012, 09:14 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Surprised if they cut both Skjei and Sieloff...

US lost, might help in their favor.

Old
12-22-2012, 10:43 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

All signs indicate Skjei being cut. I don't understand frankly how him and Sieloff get left off and the defense against Finland clearly illustrated that.

I have not seen so many turnovers and lost corner battles since the Redden-Gilroy pairing. The only rationale I can see for taking Gostisbehere, Reilly, AND Gryz is if you think there will continue to be 9000 PPs a game.

12-23-2012, 01:21 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
All signs indicate Skjei being cut. I don't understand frankly how him and Sieloff get left off and the defense against Finland clearly illustrated that.

I have not seen so many turnovers and lost corner battles since the Redden-Gilroy pairing. The only rationale I can see for taking Gostisbehere, Reilly, AND Gryz is if you think there will continue to be 9000 PPs a game.
Didn't enjoy watching Gostisbehere fumble with the puck as if he never played hockey before.

Its an error on USA management's part to cut Skjei. Stupid.

And to not name Miller captain is insulting. Not inviting another forward to camp after Noeson was suspendid. Not a fan of how they managed this team thus far. Especially considering Canada (who proclaims they are icing the best WJC team ever assembled) and Russia are in our group.

We will see.

Skjei has some big games coming up with Minnesota, anyway. Even with Gaudreau absent (with team USA) the Boston College game is big.

Old
12-23-2012, 03:01 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
The US have not built a good WJC team since gold. Makes sense that they would make stupid decisions again.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The US have not built a good WJC team since gold. Makes sense that they would make stupid decisions again.
Yeah, I still have nightmares about Palmieri trying to dangle through 3 dudes when he has an open man right next to him.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:49 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah, I still have nightmares about Palmieri trying to dangle through 3 dudes when he has an open man right next to him.
Was so disgraceful.

I currently have no faith in the US to build a team correctly.

Old
12-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Kershaw

I don't get why people are so upset that Skjei was cut, he hasn't been really good this year. I also understand Sieloff being cut because his skating has been advertised as suspect at best. You don't want a slow skater on Olympic ice.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:04 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I don't get why people are so upset that Skjei was cut, he hasn't been really good this year. I also understand Sieloff being cut because his skating has been advertised as suspect at best. You don't want a slow skater on Olympic ice.
For me it's more the players they did take. A team that has one Reilly, Gryz, and/or Gostisbehere on the ice at all times is gonna get exposed in their own end.

Old
12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

That Skjei can't make Team USA is not a great sign for a first round pick. Lets hope he improves.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:08 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
That Skjei can't make Team USA is not a great sign for a first round pick. Lets hope he improves.
Ryan McDonagh didn't make it at 18 either. Not a big deal.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:18 PM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Overreact much? RNH didn't make it last year and he turned out fine.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:35 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeSapLlama View Post
Overreact much? RNH didn't make it last year and he turned out fine.
He was busy in the NHL.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Passenger View Post
Ryan McDonagh didn't make it at 18 either. Not a big deal.
Beacon just doesn't like Skjei because he beat out his golden boy St. Croix in the prospect polls.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Beacon just doesn't like Skjei because he beat out his golden boy St. Croix in the prospect polls.
St. Croix didn't make the WJC team either. lol

Old
12-23-2012, 11:25 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Skjei got some experience in these exhibition games. He's learning. He'll be fine.

WJC doesn't mean automatic sure thing NHLer. Nigel Dawes was great at the WJC if memory serves me right. Garth Murray was considered a budding power forward from the WJC.

Not a big deal.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Skjei got some experience in these exhibition games. He's learning. He'll be fine.

WJC doesn't mean automatic sure thing NHLer. Nigel Dawes was great at the WJC if memory serves me right. Garth Murray was considered a budding power forward from the WJC.

Not a big deal.

This is structurally a bad argument.

1. I said that Skjei not making it is a bad thing.
2. You responded by arguing that making the team is still not necessarily a guarantee of anything.

This is illogical. That's like me saying, "Five dollars isn't enough" and you responding, "Ten dollars isn't always enough either." That just serves to make my argument stronger. If $10 isn't always enough, surely we are in trouble if we have only $5. (Anyone who doesn't get analogies and doesn't understand what I just wrote, please ignore this post and don't write stupid things like, "What do do dollars have in common with Skjei?")

If making the WJC still means you might be a long-shot, then not making it is that much worse.

Let me put it another way: if being a first round draft pick doesn't guarantee playing in the NHL, wouldn't your odds be that much worse if you are not drafted at all?

It is precisely because half the players on Team USA are not future NHLers that makes him not making it a concern. For every McDonagh who failed to make Team USA, but went on to the NHL anyway, there are hundreds of examples of people who failed to make the WJC and went on to have a career in the ECHL.

The rule of thumb is that if you fail to make Team USA, you will probably spend your career in the minors. Are there exceptions? Definitely, but let's keep in mind that they are just that: exceptions. McDonagh for those who failed to make Team USA = Girardi for those who went undrafted, they are both exceptions. (Girardi being a somewhat greater exception.)

Combine this with the fact that Skjei has not had a good season in the NCAA and I'm starting to get concerned. I hope he can reverse his development quickly.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:41 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Where did you find NCAA TOI stats? I've been looking for those for a long time.
Sadly, NCAA doesnt track TOI. They never have. Some schools hire independent guys to do it (usually at the SID's or HC's request).

Nieves has moved around from 3rd line center to wing then moved up to center the 2nd line. He's also played on the top line as well.

I'm assuming his ice time has spiked since he keeps moving up on the depth chart. Plus his faceoff opportunities has also spiked the last few games.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:46 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Nieves is 35-26 on faceoffs this season for the guy who asked -- 57.3 pct

Old
12-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

In other news, Ceresnak is the only player on Team Slovakia to have been drafted. He's also one of the oldest players on the team. He should see a lot of ice and be one of the top performers on his weak team. If that's not the case, he's almost certainly not going to get an NHL contract.

Junior Team Slovakia is roughly on par with a weak ECHL team. If you are not one of the best players on the team, you are not playing anything close to AHL hockey and at this age, it means your odds of making the NHL are very slim. Our organization does not need another Lee Baldwin.

On the other hand, if Ceresnak can shine despite being on a weak team, the Rangers will likely make an NHL contract to be a strong consideration.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:50 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
This is structurally a bad argument.

1. I said that Skjei not making it is a bad thing.
2. You responded by arguing that making the team is still not necessarily a guarantee of anything.

This is illogical. That's like me saying, "Five dollars isn't enough" and you responding, "Ten dollars isn't always enough either." That just serves to make my argument stronger. If $10 isn't always enough, surely we are in trouble if we have only $5. (Anyone who doesn't get analogies and doesn't understand what I just wrote, please ignore this post and don't write stupid things like, "What do do dollars have in common with Skjei?")

If making the WJC still means you might be a long-shot, then not making it is that much worse.

Let me put it another way: if being a first round draft pick doesn't guarantee playing in the NHL, wouldn't your odds be that much worse if you are not drafted at all?

It is precisely because half the players on Team USA are not future NHLers that makes him not making it a concern. For every McDonagh who failed to make Team USA, but went on to the NHL anyway, there are hundreds of examples of people who failed to make the WJC and went on to have a career in the ECHL.

The rule of thumb is that if you fail to make Team USA, you will probably spend your career in the minors. Are there exceptions? Definitely, but let's keep in mind that they are just that: exceptions. McDonagh for those who failed to make Team USA = Girardi for those who went undrafted, they are both exceptions. (Girardi being a somewhat greater exception.)

Combine this with the fact that Skjei has not had a good season in the NCAA and I'm starting to get concerned. I hope he can reverse his development quickly.

Beacon, I'm in no way arguing with you nor was that even directed at you. It was a generic statement.

Between the Giants losing, having to work tomorrow (and being forced to make up time due to the company closing early), and the fact that there will probably be no hockey, I'm not in the mood to fight or argue.

Sometimes I REALLY hate this site because it seems like everyone gets offended or angry over everything or you say something mildly different and get in trouble with the mods.

True what Kevin Smith says about the internet.

Oh well, Happy New Year/Holidays everyone, I need a long break from this place.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:15 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Skjei will have a chance to play the best team in the country (Boston College) and the 3rd team in the country (Notre dame) by not going to the WJC.

I dont see how this hurts him.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:32 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
The rule of thumb is that if you fail to make Team USA, you will probably spend your career in the minors.
John Moore and Justin Faulk were cut from the 2009 team. Faulk made 1st team all rookie last season.

Jack Johnson was cut from the 2005 team.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:39 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I'm not even remotely concerned about Skjei getting cut. The kid can't control the type of team they want to construct, and as far as I'm concerned he more than held his own vs Sweden.

Like GWOW said, Reilly being out gives him more opportunity with the Gophers against some great teams.

Closed Thread