HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL (Part XXXIX): (1/9: Leafs fire Brian Burke as GM; Dave Nonis steps in)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-07-2012, 03:47 PM
  #576
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,499
vCash: 500
Parenteau signed with Colorado this summer.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 08:56 AM
  #577
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,549
vCash: 500
Major news in Canada -- Evander "Twit Pic" Kane rumors just wont go away:

Quote:
Kane signed a six-year, $31.5-million contract this summer with the Jets. He won't finish it in Winnipeg.
Kane will someday be traded. He hasn't played one game under his new ticket but the writing is on the wall.
GM Kevin Cheveldayoff got term and a palatable cap hit just north of $5 million when he signed Kane. He's an asset now and a portable one. Other teams will want him.
The Jets won't be ready to give up on Kane just yet. But he's making it difficult to base the franchise's foundation on him.
Kane's act will eventually change or it will force a trade.
Bet on the trade
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...184226401.html

I know this is an OP-ED, but perception is reality. If you're perceived to be a problem off the ice, chances are you're a problem off the ice. While I think it's absolutely lame that they are villifying him for a picture where's he's holding money (especially when he sacrifices his body and career to earn that money), there's obviously a rift with the media up there in Winnipeg that will probably never go away.

Personally, I think a lot of these Canadian kids love playing in America because they can make tons of money and be relatively obscure.

Del Zotto for Kane straight up -- do it Glenn.

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 10:27 AM
  #578
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,499
vCash: 500
Nobody is vilifying him for taking a picture where he's holding money. People are on his case because he posted that picture when there's a lockout going on. I think Troy Westwood's tweet summed it up best:

Quote:
Troy Westwood ‏@TroyWestwood
@EKane9JETS Would be a good idea to delete the tweet with you and the cash. Some folks can't pay their bills because you guys aren't playing
Was Kane trying to offend people? Probably not, but that doesn't mean people won't be offended by it. The effect of the lockout extends far beyond the players and the owners, but many of the players seem to be oblivious to that fact.

Trxjw is offline  
Old
12-20-2012, 03:55 PM
  #579
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,818
vCash: 2935
LOL! I tweeted that picture to Lundqvist who said a while ago that "Bettman can't be doing that bad when he makes [however much] this year."

__________________
Kane One is online now  
Old
12-20-2012, 08:52 PM
  #580
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Nobody is vilifying him for taking a picture where he's holding money. People are on his case because he posted that picture when there's a lockout going on. I think Troy Westwood's tweet summed it up best:



Was Kane trying to offend people? Probably not, but that doesn't mean people won't be offended by it. The effect of the lockout extends far beyond the players and the owners, but many of the players seem to be oblivious to that fact.
It's a childish thing for him to do, but it's getting overblown. The whole world knows he just got a 31 million dollar contract.

If people hurt financially by the lockout are offended by a picture of a 21-year-old multi-millionaire flaunting his well-deserved earnings, they should also stop by the corporate offices of the NHL owners who locked out said player and complain about them too.

Kane doesnt pay their salary. Owners do.

GWOW is offline  
Old
12-23-2012, 08:56 PM
  #581
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
The whole Kane thing is so overblown and that one writer is a sensationalist blowhard. Kane is young and rich. He flaunted it. Big deal. If he was an actor or a musician and literally the exact same person just with a different career people would love him for the very same reason they're vilifying him. Yes, it's immature. Totally. He's immature! He's a damn kid! Who cares? Oh, it was insensitive. He ruffled the feathers of strangers over the Internet and hack writers who have nothing to report during the lockout. The horror. If Kane gets chased out of Winnipeg for stuff like this and his alleged dine and dash while performing the way he has ON the ice, I will laugh my arse off and we will all know the Jets franchise is going nowhere. Kane is a STUD. I'd gladly move MDZ+ for him and not bat an eyelash. And then I'd applaud any immature, insensitive picture he tweeted heartily as long as he continued to pot 30+ each season and play like an overall beast.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 02:24 AM
  #582
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,818
vCash: 2935
Normally I wouldn't give a **** if a player tweeted a picture like that, but after Lundqvist's tweet about Bettman's salary, this just makes the players look like hypocrites.

Kane One is online now  
Old
12-24-2012, 09:21 AM
  #583
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Normally I wouldn't give a **** if a player tweeted a picture like that, but after Lundqvist's tweet about Bettman's salary, this just makes the players look like hypocrites.
if one person says something and then another person says something different that doesn't make the first person a hypocrite

CM PUNK is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 10:24 AM
  #584
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
The whole Kane thing is so overblown and that one writer is a sensationalist blowhard. Kane is young and rich. He flaunted it. Big deal. If he was an actor or a musician and literally the exact same person just with a different career people would love him for the very same reason they're vilifying him. Yes, it's immature. Totally. He's immature! He's a damn kid! Who cares? Oh, it was insensitive. He ruffled the feathers of strangers over the Internet and hack writers who have nothing to report during the lockout. The horror. If Kane gets chased out of Winnipeg for stuff like this and his alleged dine and dash while performing the way he has ON the ice, I will laugh my arse off and we will all know the Jets franchise is going nowhere. Kane is a STUD. I'd gladly move MDZ+ for him and not bat an eyelash. And then I'd applaud any immature, insensitive picture he tweeted heartily as long as he continued to pot 30+ each season and play like an overall beast.
I was at a family BBQ years ago with a number of NHL vets, some rookies and a fairly high profile, well respected player that had recently retired. A very candid discussion ensued about a rookie that had just signed a huge contract.

I sat off to the side and tried to keep my chin from hitting the floor as the players traded stories about this guy. There was some 2nd hand conjecture, which you could write off as BS, but there was also a lot of 1st person contact. None of it good. I asked the recently retired player what he thought. Basically he told me the following:

"Don't believe everything you just heard, but all the talk begins somewhere. He's not the kind of kid that can handle being given that much, too early. He's got a target painted on his back and he makes it difficult for his team mates to stick up for him. Once all that is set in motion, it winds up being a situation that feeds on itself. It probably won't end well."

There are plenty of young, rich NHL players that seem to handle things far better than Evander Kane. His youth is no excuse. He makes his choices. Hopefully, he grows up and straightens out.

Pizza is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 11:17 AM
  #585
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz
 
McDonagh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,683
vCash: 1350
Our old buddy Kovalev is skating with the Rangers somewhere in NY. Aparently has/had offers from Columbus and Florida.

McDonagh is online now  
Old
12-24-2012, 03:11 PM
  #586
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,818
vCash: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
if one person says something and then another person says something different that doesn't make the first person a hypocrite
Then I guess the players aren't on the same page.

Kane One is online now  
Old
12-24-2012, 03:35 PM
  #587
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I was at a family BBQ years ago with a number of NHL vets, some rookies and a fairly high profile, well respected player that had recently retired. A very candid discussion ensued about a rookie that had just signed a huge contract.

I sat off to the side and tried to keep my chin from hitting the floor as the players traded stories about this guy. There was some 2nd hand conjecture, which you could write off as BS, but there was also a lot of 1st person contact. None of it good. I asked the recently retired player what he thought. Basically he told me the following:

"Don't believe everything you just heard, but all the talk begins somewhere. He's not the kind of kid that can handle being given that much, too early. He's got a target painted on his back and he makes it difficult for his team mates to stick up for him. Once all that is set in motion, it winds up being a situation that feeds on itself. It probably won't end well."

There are plenty of young, rich NHL players that seem to handle things far better than Evander Kane. His youth is no excuse. He makes his choices. Hopefully, he grows up and straightens out.
Nor is there anything more than conjecture from journalists with nothing better to cover during a lockout that supports him actually being a problem. His teammates seem to like him just fine and there's a big difference between a middle talent kid with an ego and (nearly) sure fire top line star player. May not be fair, but it's true. Do you think Chicago is trying to get rid of Patrick Kane? Evander isn't nearly as 'bad' off the ice; I don't see him being a problem with anyone other than 'journalists' who have nothing better to write right now. Also, regardless of whether its appropriate to mention or not, being a minority and coming into big money and stardom IS different. Either way, from all I've seen his teammates like him quite fine. Your story probably has plenty of merit but it doesn't change the fact that this article and situation has been blown FAR out of proportion.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 03:50 PM
  #588
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Nor is there anything more than conjecture from journalists with nothing better to cover during a lockout that supports him actually being a problem. His teammates seem to like him just fine and there's a big difference between a middle talent kid with an ego and (nearly) sure fire top line star player. May not be fair, but it's true. Do you think Chicago is trying to get rid of Patrick Kane? Evander isn't nearly as 'bad' off the ice; I don't see him being a problem with anyone other than 'journalists' who have nothing better to write right now. Also, regardless of whether its appropriate to mention or not, being a minority and coming into big money and stardom IS different. Either way, from all I've seen his teammates like him quite fine. Your story probably has plenty of merit but it doesn't change the fact that this article and situation has been blown FAR out of proportion.
You make some good points here. I was thinking about the whole Kane situation as well. The thing that struck me from the experience I had was the privilege of getting a glimpse of what these guys really think when they let their hair down and relax a bit.

Public statements from a number of Rangers were that the team fully supported Sean Avery. We don't know for certain what was happening behind the scenes, but it's a fair guess that he was not loved equally by all his team mates. I'm not comparing Kane to Avery. I'm just saying what we see of what they really think in the room is a straws view at best. It could be right in line with what your saying...it could not also.

Pizza is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 03:54 PM
  #589
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
I just think teammates are also a lot more likely to have patience with a recently turned 21 year old than Avery, especially if he's just acting young and immature rather than saying/doing controversial and inflammatory things. I just don't see Kane being the issue these writers WANT him to be, especially not when he's contributing triple the offense that a guy like Avery does.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 05:02 PM
  #590
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,004
vCash: 500
All things considered, I agree with that. I'll maintain that what we see is very limited. I also think that more and more clubs are expecting a higher standard for the dollars paid. That brings with it an expectation of good behavior regardless of stats. I think that is where this "conjecture" begins. It comes from people who are around the clubs on a regular basis. They make stuff up for sure, but they also see and hear lot of stuff too.

Pizza is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 05:29 PM
  #591
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
Sure, but again, in this instance in particular I have to think the writer is simply hungry for a 'juicy' story. Can he really be 'around the team' during the lockout? I think he's just a wannabe trying to generate hits and buzz.

SERE 24 is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 05:51 PM
  #592
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,004
vCash: 500
Yeah, I don't know this writer, his style, or what his history is with the Jets. It could and is likely what you say. It also be the kid is a bit of an A hole with some maturity issues. Maybe a combo of both. Who knows?

Pizza is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 07:48 PM
  #593
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Then I guess the players aren't on the same page.
neither are all of the owners so whats the point

CM PUNK is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 07:49 PM
  #594
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,286
vCash: 500
not sure where to put this but thought it was cool so i'll put it here...

Ryan Whitney ‏@ryanwhitney6
2 amazing paintings by formerBU playerTravis Roy. He is an inspiration, paralyzed in 1995, he did these with his mouth pic.twitter.com/Ck7YGLhE
Retweeted by EJ Hradek


CM PUNK is offline  
Old
12-24-2012, 10:51 PM
  #595
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,818
vCash: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
neither are all of the owners so whats the point
None at all. Except that players shouldn't be talking like they are the only sane ones in this situation.

Kane One is online now  
Old
12-26-2012, 11:13 AM
  #596
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Rangers hung the ATL Division Champs banner at the Garden...

Clowes Line is offline  
Old
12-26-2012, 03:35 PM
  #597
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,818
vCash: 2935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Rangers hung the ATL Division Champs banner at the Garden...
That was up for a while now.

Kane One is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 06:59 AM
  #598
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
The Brooklyn Islanders will be a good team, especially if they can manage to acquire a goalie.

CENTERS

1. John Tavares
2. Ryan Strome
3. Frans Nielsen
4. Brock Nelson
5. Anders Lee
6. Casey Cizikas

That's a hell of a group of centers.


LEFT WINGS

1. Moulson
2. Nino
3. Josh Bailey
4. Matt Martin
5. Johan Persson or Mike Halmo

Very solid. If Nino develops well, could be great.


RIGHT WINGS

1. Kyle Okposo
2. Michael Grabner
3. David Ullstrom
4. Kirill Kabanov or Kirill Petrov or Rhett Rakhshani

Not great, but decent enough considering how good they are elsewhere.


DEFENSEMEN

1. Travis Hamonic
2. Griffin Reinhart
3. Andrew MacDonald
4. Matt Donovan
5. Ville Pokka
6. Scott Mayfield
7. Calvin de Haan
8. Milan Jurcina
9. Dyland Reese
10. Brenden Kichton or Aaron Ness or Andrey Pedan or Adam Pelech
11. Yuri Alexandrov or Robbie Russo or Marc Cantin or Mark Katic

Phenomenal depth, so much so that you can count on at least one or two suprises. They drafted 10 defensemen in rounds 3 or lower (plus 4 more guys drafted early) since 2009. While those prospects are not regarded as much today, there's a very decent possibility that one of them will become a good NHLer. That's not counting guys like Reinhart, De Haan, Mayfield and Pokka who were drafted early. I suspect this may blossom into one of the best defensive legions in the NHL.


GOALTENDING

Pretty terrible. Neither Kevin Poulin nor Anders Nilsson has the stuff to be a starter, much less a good starter. But if they can acquire someone decent (bring back Luongo?), the Islanders could be a tremendous team in 3 years or so. Just the opposite of the Devils, who have sung their final song last spring and will be going into the dark night for the foreseeable future.
Not that you care, but both Poulin and Nilsson absolutely are starter material, and one of them will take the reigns this year with Nabokov. My bet is on Poulin, who is going to be a tremendous goalie in the NHL.

IslesBeBack* is offline  
Old
12-28-2012, 07:21 AM
  #599
Cresto
In the pantry
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Not that you care, but both Poulin and Nilsson absolutely are starter material, and one of them will take the reigns this year with Nabokov. My bet is on Poulin, who is going to be a tremendous goalie in the NHL.
The goalies that I would consider "tremendous" in the NHL right now are Henrik, Quick, Luongo, Brodeur, Rinne, Miller, Kipper and Thomas.

It's hard to imagine Poulin cracking that list.

Cresto is online now  
Old
12-28-2012, 11:40 AM
  #600
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,953
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Not that you care, but both Poulin and Nilsson absolutely are starter material, and one of them will take the reigns this year with Nabokov. My bet is on Poulin, who is going to be a tremendous goalie in the NHL.
My bet is on you being wrong.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.