HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2012, 10:54 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
I never trust Craig Button. It is as if he makes lists differently so they dont look like Bob McKenzies.
Button acts as an individual scout.

McKenzie polls a group of scouts.

The individual scouts McKenzie polls all have different lists, some of which may (likely) have major disparities.

Old
12-05-2012, 04:09 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
I never trust Craig Button. It is as if he makes lists differently so they dont look like Bob McKenzies.
Sometimes Button has some insight on prospects that not many others can see. Remember him ranking Huberdeau 2nd and everyone bashing him a couple months before the exam and boom. Florida selects him 3rd.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Button's view should be taken the exact same as any other stand-alone scout. They're going to have some views that are dramatic. They'll have some lower ranked players high, and some higher ranked players low.

Old
12-05-2012, 05:41 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I really enjoy Button's rankings.

How often do you get too see a scouts personal list? Pretty neat stuff.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:35 PM
sg58

What's refreshing with Button is that he doesn't care about other lists and general consensus, whereas all the independent rankings seem to look at each other and try to avoid going off the board too much rather than just going with what their scouts think is right.

Old
12-05-2012, 06:51 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
What's refreshing with Button is that he doesn't care about other lists and general consensus, whereas all the independent rankings seem to look at each other and try to avoid going off the board too much rather than just going with what their scouts think is right.
It is refreshing - but he's often letting his biases impact his scouting (see grigorenko and other russians). I think its good to see an independent scout's list. But he acts very confident about his list when I think he should take it with a grain of salt. He was wrong about Grigorenko for instance. It's interesting to see the parallel's between couts and grigorenko's situations. Couts would of fell those extra few spots if he was russian too.

Button was right in ranking Jankowski high though - he's doing quite well for providence college as a 17 year old which speaks quite well for his upside.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
It is refreshing - but he's often letting his biases impact his scouting (see grigorenko and other russians). I think its good to see an independent scout's list. But he acts very confident about his list when I think he should take it with a grain of salt. He was wrong about Grigorenko for instance. It's interesting to see the parallel's between couts and grigorenko's situations. Couts would of fell those extra few spots if he was russian too.

Button was right in ranking Jankowski high though - he's doing quite well for providence college as a 17 year old which speaks quite well for his upside.
How was he wrong about Grigorenko? He had consistently had him lower then everyone else, and he fell to 12.

Old
12-05-2012, 07:14 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

And we wont know who's 'right' and 'wrong' for years anyways. Just because they don't get picked where he has them ranked doesn't make him 'wrong'.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:25 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

So it looks like Robert Hagg wasn't even invited to attend the Swede WJC camp was hoping to see him play for the first time during this tourny, guess I'll have to wait till the U18's.

Still a few good draft eligble prospects on display though (although no rosters are set yet):

Sweden
Alexander Wennberg
Elias Lindholm
Jacob de la Rose
Nick Sörensen

Finland
Rasmus Ristolainen
Aleksander Barkov
Henrik Haapala
Artturi Lehkonen

US
Seth Jones
Ryan Hartman

Russia
Nikita Zadorov
Anton Slepyshev
Valery Nichushkin

Slovakia
Martin Reway

etc...

Old
12-11-2012, 10:30 AM
General Granny*

One of the worst things about the lockout is not knowing where you could pick in the draft.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:56 AM
OgieO

I'm curious to see if de la Rose's hands and physicality are as advertised. I think he could be a great value in the later parts of round 1, but I need to see more of him.

Old
12-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I hope our draft BPA is Canadian.

Feels weird being a team from Ottawa and being loaded with Swedes (not complaining) Kind of like the Montreal Canadians not being mostly French players.

Old
12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Quote:
I hope our draft BPA is Canadian.

Feels weird being a team from Ottawa and being loaded with Swedes (not complaining) Kind of like the Montreal Canadians not being mostly French players.
I hope our BPA is the BPA. Nationality be damned.

12-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
So it looks like Robert Hagg wasn't even invited to attend the Swede WJC camp was hoping to see him play for the first time during this tourny, guess I'll have to wait till the U18's.
Sweden really doesn't like to pick eligible defenseman for the tourney. Forwards are another story though. Players like Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Brodin, Klefbom, Lindholm were all left off the team in their draft years, despite being plenty good enough to play in the tournament.

I don't think Hagg's lack of an invite says much about his progress this year, or a lack there-of. The names on the Swedish defense are pretty unspectacular; I imagine he could have certainly challenged for a spot if given an invite. I fully expect him to be a key player on defense next season.

It seems a little strange to me that Team Sweden won't look at their top defense prospects in their draft years, but pencil them in as locks next winter

Old
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Sweden really doesn't like to pick eligible defenseman for the tourney. Forwards are another story though. Players like Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Brodin, Klefbom, Lindholm were all left off the team in their draft years, despite being plenty good enough to play in the tournament.

I don't think Hagg's lack of an invite says much about his progress this year, or a lack there-of. The names on the Swedish defense are pretty unspectacular; I imagine he could have certainly challenged for a spot if given an invite. I fully expect him to be a key player on defense next season.

It seems a little strange to me that Team Sweden won't look at their top defense prospects in their draft years, but pencil them in as locks next winter
That extra year usually means that the player has gone from being a junior player to a regular men's player. Hedman and Larsson played in the tournament two times prior to being drafted, but they were also regulars in the SEL. How many promising -95 D's did Canada or USA invite?

Old
12-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

WJC Prelim Game FIN vs USA Draft Eligible's:

Seth Jones (USA)
Rasmus Ristolainen (FIN)
Aleksander Barkov (FIN)
Artturi Lehkonen (FIN)
Ryan Hartman (USA)
Saku Salminen (FIN)

Old
12-22-2012, 06:54 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

Barkov is special. Wow. Amazing player.

Really impressed with Lehkonen as well. Looks a bit small on the ice but I've really liked his vision so far.

Old
12-22-2012, 01:39 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 600
Barkov is terrific and the hype is real. He is a serious threat to possibly grab 1st overall if someone loves him.

Old
12-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

It's funny, at the beginning of the year I was pretty adamant that Monahan would be a Top 3 pick in the draft. Now, it looks like 5th overall is more likely, and that's no fault to Monahan, it's just that there are quite a few potential "franchise/impact" players at the top end of the draft. As for Barkov, the thing that separated him from Mackinnon and Drouin to me was his strength.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Berserker*

What's the knock on Max Domi? Why isn't he ranked higher? Is it just his size?

Old
12-23-2012, 09:24 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
What's the knock on Max Domi? Why isn't he ranked higher? Is it just his size?
I think it has to do with his diabetes which is newly diagnosed I'm pretty sure.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:30 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I pray we nab Barkov. I'm cheesed that Hagg isn't in this tourney as well as not so cheesed because he may be able to land to us if we don't get a good pick. His stock wouldn't increase drastically due to the WJC which I have no incentive that it won't.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:32 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
I think it has to do with his diabetes which is newly diagnosed I'm pretty sure.

I don't think that would stop the Sens from drafting him, they drafted Jeff Costello and he has diabetes. I could see the Sens taking Domi if we end up with a mid first round pick.

Old
12-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Greeningfan14

Want Lindholm.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:40 AM
Hale The Villain

I really want to see Karlsson feeding Pulock for one-timers in the future.

Wouldn't even be fair.

Closed Thread