HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Tyler Benson - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2016 Draft)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-12-2012, 11:55 PM
  #76
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
There is no "exceptional status" rule in WHL!!! Players have to wait until their 16 year old season to play full time. They are allowed to play 6 games as a 15 year old and then can get called up for more games as a 15 year old once their minor hockey season has officially ended. Alot of 15 year old top WHL prospects from each team lots of time get in somewhere between the 6 games up to about 12 games or so.
Benson's family will be trying to go for it this year, so it does exist. Most people around these circles know/highly suspect this.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:01 AM
  #77
Skinnyjimmy08
WorldTraveler
 
Skinnyjimmy08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,137
vCash: 500
Please just believe me... WHL does not allow the rule... I do actually know this... There are alot of sites that explain it.... heres one

http://www.thejuniorhockeynews.com/Luc%20Deschenes.html

The part in the article that says it is near the bottom... heres the quote...

The Western Hockey League does not recognize an 'Exceptional Player' category but WHL director of communications Cory Flett said in an email that it is important to "keep in mind the WHL drafts players a year younger than the OHL and QMJHL does, following their 14-year-old year of bantam."

Skinnyjimmy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:56 AM
  #78
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Please just believe me... WHL does not allow the rule... I do actually know this... There are alot of sites that explain it.... heres one

http://www.thejuniorhockeynews.com/Luc%20Deschenes.html

The part in the article that says it is near the bottom... heres the quote...

The Western Hockey League does not recognize an 'Exceptional Player' category but WHL director of communications Cory Flett said in an email that it is important to "keep in mind the WHL drafts players a year younger than the OHL and QMJHL does, following their 14-year-old year of bantam."
LOL, isn't that the site that published the first CHLPA "press release"?

And here's an article from the same site that contradicts your article:
Quote:
It was roughly a year ago that TJHN was singing the praises of Connor McDavid. We, along with those in the OHL who knew anything about the game, new he was going to be a special player. It’s usually just plain stupid, trying to predict the hockey future of a 14-year-old player, but there is another player on the rise, and this kid has some serious upside. Sorry OHL, the Edmonton native is bound for the Western Hockey League.

Meet Tyler Benson, remember the name because you will be writting emails to your favorite NHL team four years from now begging them to draft this kid.

The forward is as dominating at 14 as Connor McDavid was before he started playing this fall in the Ontario Hockey League at 15.

Benson has collected 69 points, 30 of them goals, in 14 bantam AAA games. The Lions have scored 105 total goals and are 13-0-1.

Like the really good ones before him, Benson has a sense of where the puck is going to be and, most importantly, he goes and gets it. He wants it. He hits, he skates well, and he not only has a heavy shot, but one that is deadly accurate.

McDavid, Toews, Crosby, those are some of the names mentioned when people are making comparisons. Considering the fact that Benson is not only a year younger, but that he is dominating in such a way that is making scouts fly cross country to watch him when McDavid is playing lights out in the OHL.....well you decide for yourself when he is the next player granted "exceptional status" when he applies for it next year and you see him in a WHL jersey as a 15 yr old.
http://www.thejuniorhockeynews.com/T...%20Benson.html

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 12:01 AM
  #79
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,771
vCash: 500
Have there been thoughts of having him join the Minor Midget or Midget squad (if possible)? His stats are ridiculous to the point that he's not gaining anything playing Bantam.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 09:22 AM
  #80
Gigantor The Goalie
Registered User
 
Gigantor The Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,355
vCash: 500
This kid has 91 points in 19 games. Someone get TSN out there and tell them to there job, lets get a scouting report on this kid.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:08 PM
  #81
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Game hi-lites. Warning music is pretty bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOHLMkZ6wTY

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 11:54 PM
  #82
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Game hi-lites. Warning music is pretty bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOHLMkZ6wTY
Competition looks much worse than the GTHL where McDavid played tbh.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:07 AM
  #83
hockeyfa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Competition looks much worse than the GTHL where McDavid played tbh.
Its a different age level. Bantam vs minor mudget

hockeyfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:20 AM
  #84
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfa View Post
Its a different age level. Bantam vs minor mudget
Why isn't he playing MM is there a restriction out west that I'm unaware of?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 12:20 AM
  #85
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Ok so Benson could potentially apply to Hockey Canada and get it? I am not suggesting he should, but it is an option? Would be cool if Seattle got him and convinced Barzal to come play.
Seattle is doing to well to get him.

Looking at the state of the Giants they are the obvious best bet to land him IMO.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:16 AM
  #86
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Why isn't he playing MM is there a restriction out west that I'm unaware of?
Ontario is the only one with province wide minor midget in Canada I believe. In Alberta he'd be playing midget against 15-17 year old as a 14 year old. I'm sure there are probably some other minor midget teams in Canada, not sure where.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:49 AM
  #87
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Ontario is the only one with province wide minor midget in Canada I believe. In Alberta he'd be playing midget against 15-17 year old as a 14 year old. I'm sure there are probably some other minor midget teams in Canada, not sure where.
Well, some other kids play way up, like Quinton Howden's brother Brett, who is a 98 playing midget AAA and Nathan Noel, a 97 playing prep with 94's and 95's.

Benson certainly seems to have the skill and size required to play up, so I'd be shocked if he doesn't get at least a few games as an AP.
It's rare, but it happens.
I believe fellow Alberta 98 Kale Clague has had the opportunity.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 03:56 AM
  #88
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, some other kids play way up, like Quinton Howden's brother Brett, who is a 98 playing midget AAA and Nathan Noel, a 97 playing prep with 94's and 95's.

Benson certainly seems to have the skill and size required to play up, so I'd be shocked if he doesn't get at least a few games as an AP.
It's rare, but it happens.
I believe fellow Alberta 98 Kale Clague has had the opportunity.
Yeah clearly he's too good for the league he's in and I'm surprised he's not in midget. If he's expected to try for exceptional status he's gonna be playing a lot of kids older next year than the ones who are in midget this year.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:52 PM
  #89
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Ontario is the only one with province wide minor midget in Canada I believe. In Alberta he'd be playing midget against 15-17 year old as a 14 year old. I'm sure there are probably some other minor midget teams in Canada, not sure where.
Alberta does have a province-wide minor midget league. It's just that you are allowed to play major midget as a 15-year-old and it is a higher level so all the top Dub prospects go and do that usually. However, I can think of a few cases where a guy like Joe Morrow played minor midget, Kent Simpson did as well. Both were high-ish picks in the bantam draft.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 04:56 PM
  #90
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Yeah clearly he's too good for the league he's in and I'm surprised he's not in midget. If he's expected to try for exceptional status he's gonna be playing a lot of kids older next year than the ones who are in midget this year.
Nobody knew he was going to light up the league to this extent, there has been high scoring rookies in the AMBHL before, lots of great players have came through this league. He also played on a line with Giorgio Estephan last year so it was hard to tell how much he benefitted from that. I can't even remember the last time if there was one that a player missed their second year of bantam to play up in midget.

Remember, these players are 13 and 14 and the leagues in Alberta are deep and good. Where do you put the threshold? Was Rattie too good to play in the league? I wouldn't say so, he just learned to dominate offensively, which he's continued to do at every level he's played at. There's been other players like Steele Boomer and Josh Lazowski who have lit the league up and went nowhere in hockey. It was most definitely the right decision to keep him in bantam at the beginning of the season, I don't even think it was seriously considered to attempt to move up an age group.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 06:16 PM
  #91
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Game hi-lites. Warning music is pretty bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOHLMkZ6wTY
Thanks. As another has mentioned, this doesn't look like the strongest hockey. A far cry from the Marlie and Honebaked Bantams. Is there any push to get Benson to play Minor Midget/Midget for the 2nd half of the year? I have a hard time time seeing him getting exceptional status if he's not going to be challenging himself against the best '97's the province has to offer.

I'm sure McDavid and Ekblad would have never received the go-ahead if they played with the Bantams before applying, just like Day wouldn't be considered if he stayed with the Honeybaked Bantams this season.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 08:11 PM
  #92
Breakfast of Champs
Registered User
 
Breakfast of Champs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,145
vCash: 500
After watching those game clips I also think the competition looks very weak.

I've only ever seen clips of he and Day, but from what I've seen Day looks head and shoulders ahead of him in almost every way, particularly skating. I could very well be wrong, just my initial thoughts.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:24 AM
  #93
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,649
vCash: 500
The highlights are basically from ONE game two weekends ago. SSAC Midget AAA is trying to get him up on their team for the Mac's tournament at Christmas but I don't know how that's going right now.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 08:55 AM
  #94
UvBnDatsyuked
Registered User
 
UvBnDatsyuked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakfast of Champs View Post
After watching those game clips I also think the competition looks very weak.

I've only ever seen clips of he and Day, but from what I've seen Day looks head and shoulders ahead of him in almost every way, particularly skating. I could very well be wrong, just my initial thoughts.
Yes, kind of tough to judge with the level of competition. I like the way Benson supports the puck and is always involved. Has good speed and works hard. Doesn't have McDavid puck skills, speed or IQ. (the only reason I bring that up is because people have talked about exceptional status with Benson. it really isnt' fair to compare any kid to McDavid because McDavid is that good)

Day is on another level agree but that is not a knock against Benson. Day is the best player as a 14 year old on the #4 U16 team in the U.S. filled with 16 and 15 year olds. (Kind of crazy when you think about it)

I have seen Day play in person quite a few times over the years and it is really impressive how he has kept his development path rising at such a high degree. Not many kids can be the most improved year after year when they are already the best but he has done it.

And obviously if Day had not hit his growth spurt till a lot later, we wouldn't be talking about him. These kind of players are always a perfect storm. Great skill and work ethic combined with being ahead of the growth/puberty curve. This is the reason we have quite a few late bloomers come out of no where. They have the skill and work ethic but the growth happens at the back end of the curve and then we are lke "whoa, where did this kid come from?"

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 12:13 AM
  #95
YAKUGOD
BELIEVE.
 
YAKUGOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
He's basically the best player I've seen with my own two eyes in the AMBHL since I started watching in 2004, he looks like Mike Modano out there. His brother, Cole, on the Oil Kings is a midget but luckily Tyler looks to be about 5'10 or so at this point.

hahaha cole benson saw this and commented about it on his twitter.

ive never seen tyler play but i know people who have played with and against him and from what i can collect is that he is a very special player

YAKUGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:07 PM
  #96
J Murda
Registered User
 
J Murda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
I just recently found out about this kid, and I don't recall ever seeing stats so impressive. He got another 8 points last night to put him at 100 pts in 21 games. 35 points ahead of the second place guy.

I would love to see him play at the Macs this year. The last time I recall a 14 year old superstar coming to the tournament was Sidney Crosby when he played for Shattucks. If he doesn't get to play this year, I'm sure he will rip the tournament apart next year.

http://www.ambhl.ab.ca/leaders_scorers.php

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 05:16 PM
  #97
HabLover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sandspit
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Murda View Post
I just recently found out about this kid, and I don't recall ever seeing stats so impressive. He got another 8 points last night to put him at 100 pts in 21 games. 35 points ahead of the second place guy.

I would love to see him play at the Macs this year. The last time I recall a 14 year old superstar coming to the tournament was Sidney Crosby when he played for Shattucks. If he doesn't get to play this year, I'm sure he will rip the tournament apart next year.

http://www.ambhl.ab.ca/leaders_scorers.php
Some interesting points to think about;

Benson does not lead the league in goals and in fact there are several players in the 30 to 40 goal range. I am guessing he could score alot more himself rather than setting up teammates.

Benson has 50 points more than his closest teammate, which is pretty crazy and other teams still can't stop him.

Benson is at 100pts before Xmas, while in years past 100pts is a pretty good full season.

From my count, there have only been approx. 10 players since 1990 to score over 100 pts in a season(with most of them being right around the 100pt mark) and 2 players to score over 60 goals and 1 to score over 70 goals in a season.

Below are the Top Scores in the AMBHL dating back to 1990;

2012 - Giorgio Estephan - 100pts (43 goals)
2011 - Brayden Point - 102pts (42 goals)
2010 - Tyson Baillie - 79pts (46 goals)
2009 - Troy Bourke - 83pts (45 goals)
2008 - Ty Rattie - 131pts (75 goals)
2007 - Mark Reners - 99pts (61 goals)
2006 - Joshua Lazowski - 118pts (56 goals)
2005 - Steele Boomer - 89pts (32 goals)
2004 - Colton Sceviour - 108pts (47 goals)
2003 - Tyler Swystun - 101pts (55 goals)
2002 - Dan Bertram - 78pts (43 goals)
2001 - Iam MacDonald - 107pts (34 goals)
2000 - Brock Becker - 85pts (38 goals)
1999 - Chris St. Jaques - 96pts (45 goals)
1998 - Jared Aulin - 103pts (42 goals)
1997 - Tim Smith - 90pts (36 goals)
1996 - Brett Girard - 92pts (45 goals)
1995 - Kyle Calder - 57pts (25 goals)
1994 - Martin Sonnenberg - 86pts (43 goals)
1993 - Henry Kuster - 89pts (43 goals)
1992 - Marty Bennett - 85pts (44 goals)
1991 - Mark Hurley - 79pts (35 goals)

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:46 PM
  #98
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Can anyone tell me how many guys in Quebec or Ontario midget that are putting up 5+ ppg. Or that has ever? Not expecting there to be very many ever.

Kids in AB don't move up ages. They do in Sask (Forsberg) and MB (Howden), but not AB. If anyone here doesn't think Benson, Clague, or Steel would be lighting up Minor Midget, they are mistaken. These kids would not only hold their own, but thrive in AAA. And like the guy above me stated, Brayden Point put up 102 two years ago and then stepped into the WHL playoffs and went a point per game.

Also think that was one of the weakest teams in the league against ssac in the video. - also good players make their competition look weak.

Exceptional status or not, this kid is going to be special for years to come

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:01 PM
  #99
Orange Thunder
Registered User
 
Orange Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,741
vCash: 500
Crazy stats

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:13 PM
  #100
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Can anyone tell me how many guys in Quebec or Ontario midget that are putting up 5+ ppg. Or that has ever? Not expecting there to be very many ever.

Kids in AB don't move up ages. They do in Sask (Forsberg) and MB (Howden), but not AB. If anyone here doesn't think Benson, Clague, or Steel would be lighting up Minor Midget, they are mistaken. These kids would not only hold their own, but thrive in AAA. And like the guy above me stated, Brayden Point put up 102 two years ago and then stepped into the WHL playoffs and went a point per game.

Also think that was one of the weakest teams in the league against ssac in the video. - also good players make their competition look weak.

Exceptional status or not, this kid is going to be special for years to come
That was Sherwood Park (Sam Steel's team), they are an average team.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.