Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Baseball MLB, NCAA, International

Nick Swisher to Indians (4 years/56 M)

Old
12-23-2012, 09:39 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Easily one of the worst postseason performers in recent memory.

But for a team trying to compete in a wide-open Central, it's not a bad move.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:25 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
If he gives them good OF play and can do his .270 and 20+ hrs then this shoul be a decent deal.

FA is crazy this year

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Pyro Kinesis
Cleveland for LIFE!

vCash: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
I dont think you'll finish above .500.
Do you even know what .500 is?

Pyro Kinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:55 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Kinesis View Post
Do you even know what .500 is?
13 more wins than the Indians got last year?

the Indians haven't been .500 since 2008(2007 since they were last above .500)

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:40 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 662
He can grow his hair and beard again.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:05 AM
Tuggy

What a horrible deal.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:26 AM
topshelfie

Seems like a good deal to me, only 4 years(possibly five) won't set the team back long term compared to contracts like Fielder and he switch hits, plays multiple positions, averages an OBP over .360 and OPS, over .800.

The Yankees lost a good player because they couldn't afford it for once.

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:27 AM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

still waiting for indians fan to enlighten me on this.

Quote:
LOL what?!

We are ready RIGHT NOW. We are ready to COMPETE this upcoming season!
how are the indians ready when they have a lack of quality depth in both the rotation and lineup. the rotation needs quality. they still need a left fielder and a top of the order player who gets on base.

please enlighten me.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Pyro Kinesis
Cleveland for LIFE!

We have a left fielder. His name is Brantley.

Last edited by Francesa: 12-24-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old
12-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Francesa
Global Moderator

Indians will NEVER be ready until Antonetti and Shapiro are gone. Never. Until that day, they will continue to struggle and finish in the lower tier of the AL Central. They are not even close to elite.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Pyro Kinesis
Cleveland for LIFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Indians will NEVER be ready until Antonetti and Shapiro are gone. Never. Until that day, they will continue to struggle and finish in the lower tier of the AL Central. They are not even close to elite.
I'm putting this quote in my signature so you can own up to it when they win the division this season.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Francesa
Global Moderator

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/20...gone-with-him/

Quote:
The thing that disturbed me the most in yesterday’s press conference discussing Acta’s dismissal, was Paul Dolan’s steadfast and ardent support of Antonetti, the guy who put this complete mess of a roster together. Team President Mark Shapiro told the media that he and the Dolan ownership are staying the course with the man who has set the organization back two to three years with his horrific 2012 performance.

“I feel he’s controlled the bulk of what he can control well,” Shapiro explained. “Paul (Dolan) and I still endorse strongly (Antonetti’s) vision for how we can be competitive and, ultimately, a championship team. We feel that he’s uniquely qualified and more capable than any other person in leading us to that outcome.”

I say shame on you, Paul. Throwing Acta to the wolves was the easy thing to do. He is your ready-made scapegoat. But was he the guy who chose to have Grady Sizemore be your big free agent signing in October when NOBODY ELSE would have taken a chance on him until February? Was Acta the guy who thought Johnny Damon and Shelley Duncan as the left field platoon was a good idea? Was it Acta who decided to put together a lineup that was nothing but left-handed bats and featured two all-glove, no-hit corner men? Was it Acta who thought Ubaldo Jimenez was worth selling your two best pitching prospects?

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:21 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

since you're seemingly not interested in having the debate, i'll just say my piece and be done with it.

it's easy to understand why the indians made the moves they made:

1- anderson/donald/sipp are all pretty replaceable players. sipp is probably the best of that bunch and even he only sees about 55 innings a year. choo was the best player they gave up, by far, and even his loss is offset by the addition of swisher, who i'll get to. getting bauer back in the deal is a major coup for a team that needs starting pitching going forward. dealing a 30 year old outfielder while he still has value, along with three turds in a blanket and getting back a really good pitching prospect, who has some question marks, and a good defensive centerfielder is a pretty good move.

2- the division is ******. the tigers won the division last year after the white sox imploded down the stretch. the indians finished 13 games under .500 and behind the royals, who have possibly improved themselves over the short term this offseason. the tigers figure to stay strong, boasting two of the better players in their respective fields in cabrera and verlander. the tigers are thin though and the white sox might not repeat their efforts last year. so the division is winnable.

and yet the problems are:

1- the talent on the indians is thin and not spread. stubbs is a good defensive centerfielder who just ****ing killed the top of the reds order last year. a .277 obp is awful. the rotation is the big cause for concern. masterson took a step back last year and is entering his prime. jimenez has been terrible since they emptied the farm for him. after them, who's left? mcallister looked ok in limited time. tomlin? gomez? kluber? i respect that they're trying to build back up but they're kind of caught in the middle here where the guys who they are bringing up are kind of ****** but the team wants to compete so they overpay for nick swisher.

2- swisher fills a need, sure. a need they created when they shipped choo away. and swisher costs them a second round pick and 14 million dollars a year for the next five years. swisher is older than choo and is a slight upgrade. he doesn't pitch.

the gist of what i'm saying is i don't understand how, besides just blatant trolling, you have this team winning the division next year. i was interested in how you arrived at that conclusion, curious even at how on earth someone could come up with that. unfortunately it seems that like most of your posts in this thread, you're more interested in lobbing out personal insults rather than discussing the game. more power to you, i guess.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
If the Orioles and A's can make the playoffs, so can the Tribe, and yes I know the rotation is a little weak right now. But if you make it a 6 inning game the bullpen can shut you down.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:32 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

the orioles got incredibly lucky and the a's built on pitching and hitting homeruns.

the indians could follow the orioles model and pray to go 29-9 in one run games and 162-0 in extra innings or whatever.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:56 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
If the Orioles and A's can make the playoffs, so can the Tribe, and yes I know the rotation is a little weak right now. But if you make it a 6 inning game the bullpen can shut you down.
that's like the understatement of the century right there

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
The Yankees lost a good player because they couldn't afford it for once.
I wouldn't say couldn't afford so much as our new owners don't want to afford it because it cuts into their precious share.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:32 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

LOL@ The Indians winning the AL Central.

GoneFullHolmgren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
A's had one of the best pitching staffs in baseball last season, the same cannot be said for Cleveland this year.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:06 PM
darko

Indians were 22nd in runs scored and 29th in ERA last season. They are not good on either side of the ball and haven't done much to improve it so for them to make playoffs and/or win the division they'd have to get lucky like Orioles did. Indians had a 2nd worst run differential in baseball last season (Astros were worse).

A's were built on pitching. Teams with average/below average offenses can play well if they are built on pitching and defense.

If there's a team from Central that could surprise it's the Royals and they would need lots of things to go their way. Hosmer to rebound, Gordon to play like he did in 2011, Moustakas to break out. At least Royals' roster is filled with players with big upsides.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:53 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
A's had one of the best pitching staffs in baseball last season, the same cannot be said for Cleveland this year.
To be fair, would you have said that going into the season? You would have had to buy into Parker, Colon, Milone, Blackley, etc all pitching very well. Most were rookies.

bluesfan94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:43 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
To be fair, would you have said that going into the season? You would have had to buy into Parker, Colon, Milone, Blackley, etc all pitching very well. Most were rookies.
at least rookies are a wild card. We know going in that Ubaldo et al. are going to be a pile of ass. Masterson could improve, but even if he improves to Cy Young caliber, which is totally unrealistic, he is still but a single pitcher.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote