HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Garrioch: Penguins pursuing Gonchar

Old
12-23-2012, 11:47 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 500
Garrioch: Penguins pursuing Gonchar

Adrian Dater from the Denver Post & SI.com wrote in his blog today that the Penguins will be pursuing Gonchar from Ottawa as they miss his veteran leadership.

Let's hear the proposals...

MOD EDIT: Dater only references an original report from Ottawa's Bruce Garrioch. Title edited.

Last edited by shureshot66: 12-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Bergeron47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:49 PM
caley

Gonchar for Despres straight up.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Gonchar for Martin?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Hilarious

Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:56 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
I really don't see the Pens paying much for him. He's well past his prime and not really worth his contract imo. I could see a middle prospect and pick. Maybe a role player plus a pick or middle prospect.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:57 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Gonchar's value can't be much at this point. Still a serviceable player, but age + cap hit mean he's probably had for picks + salary dump or something like that. Of course, no reason for Ottawa to move him unless they wanted to be rid of him, so Pittsburgh may have to pony up more if they're set on bringing him back.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:57 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
Gonch doesn't mean much to the Sens. If they can get something minimal for him at the deadline they will probably pull the trigger.

BigBenSF* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Where did he hear this? I have a hard time believing any executives are discussing possible player transactions at the moments.

12-24-2012, 12:01 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Yeah sure, and we'll give Cooke for Silfverberg to even it out.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's brutal for Pittsburgh. Gonchar is not what he used to be.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:04 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Where did he hear this? I have a hard time believing any executives are discussing possible player transactions at the moments.
Bruce Garrioch from the Sun said the same thing the other day.

If one of these reporters is simply referencing the other, there might not be much to it, but if both of these sources (Garrioch AND Dater) got their info independently, there might be something to this.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:08 AM
clefty
What a nice fella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Bruce Garrioch seems to have started it a day or so ago. It mostly stemmed from Gonchar being Malkin's best buddy.

If Gonchar were a free agent, I'm sure the first team he'd look to would be the Penguins. Whether or not the interest would be reciprocal, well Shero's kind of cutthroat with veterans at the end of their careers. He hasn't seemed like the type who looks back once he lets them go to this point.

Last edited by clefty: 12-24-2012 at 12:14 AM.
clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:09 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
I'm not expecting a guy like Despres in return unless the Penguins are feeling particularly charitable during the holiday season.

Maybe one of the Pens depth D prospects and a pick. Ottawa does really need to either hold onto him or acquire a defenceman somewhere else to replace him, though. I can't imagine we'd let him go without having a "plan B" in our back pockets.

Weircioch looks ready to step in, maybe management thinks he can replace / minimize the loss of Gonchar? Gonch's not what he used to be, for sure, but for those who say he's too far over the hill: he was nonetheless quite valuable to our playoff-return last year. He has a very calming influence on the rest of our defencemen. He still has some gas left in the tank.

The salary is tough, I admit. Not a huge hurdle, but it's there.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Bruce Garrioch from the Sun said the same thing the other day.

If one of these reporters is simply referencing the other, there might not be much to it, but if both of these sources (Garrioch AND Dater) got their info independently, there might be something to this.
I think it's most likely the former and a reach by Garrioch in the first place.

Hurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:12 AM
caley

(Contingent on there being a season, obviously) I think you guys are underestimating Gonchar's worth to the Senators. After losing Filip Kuba in the offseason, and Jared Cowen to injury, the Senators blueline is already super-thin (Erik Karlsson-Marc Methot, Chris Phillips-Mike Lundin and then a whole schwack of prospects). For them to give up one of their few remaining Top 4 d-men, a team would have to pay through the nose to get him.

Pittsburgh has a number of good blueline prospects in the system (Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, Maatta, Pouliot) to replace Despres on the depth chart, and Despres is the only one of those 6 to have NHL experience that could step right in to Ottawa's Top 4 right now (Ottawa would have to have someone who can step into the Top 4 right now because they're a playoff contender, not rebuilding). Therefore, if the Penguins are missing Gonchar's leadership and want him back, the cost will likely start with Despres.

Paul Martin has no value to the Senators, or any other team, after his play down the stretch last year. He's gonna need a nice stretch of play before anyone's willing to deal for him.

Now, if Ottawa falls out of the playoff race, Gonchar might come available at the deadline for much cheaper. But, if you're talking about Pittsburgh wanting him as soon as the lock-out is over, my guess is it would take Despres to get Ottawa to consider it.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:16 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
(Contingent on there being a season, obviously) I think you guys are underestimating Gonchar's worth to the Senators. After losing Filip Kuba in the offseason, and Jared Cowen to injury, the Senators blueline is already super-thin (Erik Karlsson-Marc Methot, Chris Phillips-Mike Lundin and then a whole schwack of prospects). For them to give up one of their few remaining Top 4 d-men, a team would have to pay through the nose to get him.

Pittsburgh has a number of good blueline prospects in the system (Morrow, Harrington, Dumoulin, Maatta, Pouliot) to replace Despres on the depth chart, and Despres is the only one of those 6 to have NHL experience that could step right in to Ottawa's Top 4 right now (Ottawa would have to have someone who can step into the Top 4 right now because they're a playoff contender, not rebuilding). Therefore, if the Penguins are missing Gonchar's leadership and want him back, the cost will likely start with Despres.

Paul Martin has no value to the Senators, or any other team, after his play down the stretch last year. He's gonna need a nice stretch of play before anyone's willing to deal for him.

Now, if Ottawa falls out of the playoff race, Gonchar might come available at the deadline for much cheaper. But, if you're talking about Pittsburgh wanting him as soon as the lock-out is over, my guess is it would take Despres to get Ottawa to consider it.
I think if Pittsburgh is going ALL IN this year for a cup, and they think Gonchar is the missing piece, then... maybe I could see it. Maybe... but only because teams sometimes get stupid when they think they're Cup contenders. Mortgage the future for one good run. I have no doubt that the Pens think highly of Gonchar's dressing-room effect, and he's been a phenomenal vet here in Ottawa. We don't make the playoffs last year for SURE without him, and I think Karlsson has absorbed whatever Gonchar could teach him about being a PMD.

I'm still not getting my hopes up, but I'm clearly open to Despres coming back in return.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Gonchar for Martin and Kennedy

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:40 AM
Wingsfan2965*

He wasn't finished showing Malkin all the different ways to blow out your knee apparently...

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
You're dreaming. You're not getting a 1st rounder - who's done nothing but improve his stock since the day he was drafted, and played better than every defenseman on the team outside of Letang in his NHL call-ups - for a 38 year old impending UFA defenseman.

Honestly, where's the precedent for that?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Set up an arm's race. Rangers could desperately use a Gonchar like puck-moving presence on the back end. Same with Philly, they might seek interest in him.

Gonchar is a very hot commodity for many teams around the league. Ottawa would be smart to cash in on his value.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Gotta be something cheap IMO.

12-24-2012, 12:44 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Honestly though, I'm doubting there's much merit to this rumor unless the Pens found a way to dump Martin.

Either way, $5.5M is a lot to pay for somebody's leadership.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:46 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
You're dreaming. You're not getting a 1st rounder - who's done nothing but improve his stock since the day he was drafted, and played better than every defenseman on the team outside of Letang in his NHL call-ups - for a 38 year old impending UFA defenseman.

Honestly, where's the precedent for that?
2/24/2007: Atlanta Thrashers traded Braydon Coburn to the Philadelphia Flyers for Alexei Zhitnik.

I mean, don't get me wrong, that was an absolutely brutal trade... but there is a precedent for it.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Galaxy's for lunacklha

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:51 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
2/24/2007: Atlanta Thrashers traded Braydon Coburn to the Philadelphia Flyers for Alexei Zhitnik.

I mean, don't get me wrong, that was an absolutely brutal trade... but there is a precedent for it.
Zhitnik was almost half a decade younger than Gonchar is now.

Even so, like you say, it was an absolutely brutal trade - and Shero's arguably the best trading GM in the game. There's no way it would happen.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote