HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Poll : Most Canadians don't care if NHL comes back

Old
12-24-2012, 07:37 AM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by limite View Post
It s a known fact that saying, "It's a known fact" does not make it a fact.
It's a known fact that saying, "It s a known fact that saying, "It's a known fact" does not make it a fact."... is only said by people that don't like the fact, It's a known fact.

And it is true. Most of the people in Canada don't give a rats behind about professional team sports. They are more concerned with just trying to live day to day and make ends meet.

If the NHL died and never came back, most people wouldn't miss it at all.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:14 AM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Canada should just start its own league that would include teams in the US where hockey thrives. Screw this expansion crap. Hockey seems to be a niche sport. What's so bad about that? It should be run by people who grew up loving the sport and just want to watch good hockey, not by people who believe that you're never rich enough in life. Bring it back to its roots. Wishful thinking I know. God forbid something good in life doesn't get ruined by the almighty dollar.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:25 PM
19Yzerman19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
It's a known fact that saying, "It s a known fact that saying, "It's a known fact" does not make it a fact."... is only said by people that don't like the fact, It's a known fact.

And it is true. Most of the people in Canada don't give a rats behind about professional team sports. They are more concerned with just trying to live day to day and make ends meet.

If the NHL died and never came back, most people wouldn't miss it at all.
Its also a known fact that no matter how this ends posters here will continue arguing back and forth about which side won and which one got screwed

19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:26 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
The echo chamber here is ridiculous.
hey, melrose......i gotta ask this question...

do you think the sport of ice hockey will be extinct in canada at the end of this century? or next century?

things such as global warming, canada allowing more non-white immigrants that refuse to play the "canadian pastime", and also, hockey is becoming the wealthy kid's sport ....the poor and working class (lower to mid middle class) can't play it since the cost is beyond these two groups...

i predict that hockey will cease as a sport in the coming years.....

Last edited by sawchuk1971: 12-24-2012 at 04:33 PM.
sawchuk1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:33 PM
thom

sawchuk 1971 made one of the most factual views on hockey in canada.Over the past 2 dcades the percentage of kids playing hockey has gone down and its due to cost and the immigration issue very well said.The issue must be solved or it could become a serious issue in dacades to come

thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post

do you think the sport of ice hockey will be extinct in canada at the end of this century? or next century?

things such as global warming, canada allowing more non-white immigrants that refuse to play the "canadian pastime", and also, hockey is becoming the wealthy kid's sport ....the poor and working class (lower to mid middle class) can't play it since the cost is beyond these two groups...

No but national pastime? Not anymore. It's a class issue mostly. Hockey is for rich kids. People will turn towards soccer. Already the GTA is creating lots of new players for the NBA as well. 70 years ago Lacrosse was number 1, people forget. It won't be extinct at all. But to be number 2 for sure. The NHL does not care, but that probably does not matter because they won't be around by then...

Last edited by Melrose Munch: 12-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
It's hard to believe that anyone would be foolish enough to disagree with this. The other thing that people seem to forget is that NHL teams make most of their money selling seats to corporations, who get tax breaks for the cost. They aren't going anywhere.
Quote:
It s a known fact that saying, "It's a known fact" does not make it a fact.
Come on man. Do you really think all 34 million care about hockey.

Last edited by Melrose Munch: 12-24-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 09:29 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post

Maybe hockey in a league is for the rich. All you need is a pair of skates and you play some shimmy hockey from morning to night.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 10:31 PM
sunnyvale420

Theres nothing stopping immigrant families from becoming fans of hockey and/or putting their kids in minor leagues. There are also other immigrants than those of asian or indian descent. (But those arent as easy to jump on since they look like the rest of us eh). Im a 2nd generation canadian whose family is eastern european. I fell in love with the game at 4 years old and since my family couldnt afford the money or time to let me play my passion, i instead played road hockey. My parents were able to put me into soccer and football growing up but hockey has stood the test of time and is still my #1 favourite thing to follow.

The NHL even has Punjabi announced hockey games now. They are obviously aware of the demographic switch and will market accordingly

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post

The NHLeven has Punjabi announced hockey games now. They are obviously aware of the demographic switch and will market accordingly
I've only ever seen the CBC do that. I doubt anyone at the nhl knows what Punjabi is...

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Theres nothing stopping immigrant families from becoming fans of hockey and/or putting their kids in minor leagues. There are also other immigrants than those of asian or indian descent. (But those arent as easy to jump on since they look like the rest of us eh). Im a 2nd generation canadian whose family is eastern european. I fell in love with the game at 4 years old and since my family couldnt afford the money or time to let me play my passion, i instead played road hockey. My parents were able to put me into soccer and football growing up but hockey has stood the test of time and is still my #1 favourite thing to follow.

The NHL even has Punjabi announced hockey games now. They are obviously aware of the demographic switch and will market accordingly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
I've only ever seen the CBC do that. I doubt anyone at the nhl knows what Punjabi is...
Yup, CBC thing. Plus this is the past and costs are rising.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Crozbar

Factor in just 8 percent dejected hockey fans who really do care but are mad enough to throw up their hands and really you have fully half of Canadians caring about Hockey and when it will come back ... Which is actually seems pretty significant to me.

Last edited by Crozbar: 12-25-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 11:31 PM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Maybe the Kings and other US teams should start airing Spanish announced games then. Just to you know, market the best friggin sport

sunnyvale420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:36 AM
misha1976

An alternative headline could read, over 40% of the Canadian population misses hockey. Don't know why people feel angst about this. We're not the Borg and lots of Canadians don't care about hockey. So what? A lot do.

misha1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:30 PM
nutbar

Tommy Wiseau said it best.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote