HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 U.S.A. (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfriss216 View Post
Yeah I think their better when they are underrated. It's good that they start on the 27th, get a few practices in, and then start against Germany. Then jump straight into playing against Russia. Which I like, in a short tourney like this it's best to get a tough test early. Going to have to play em sooner or later
I think what has really come out of the last few days is Finland is really good. They are a team that should legitimately be in the gold medal discussion. If somehow they pull it off, that would be five different countries in the last five years that win, and IMO that's a good thing. It means hockey is healthy in more than just a couple of places at a time. As for the U.S., I think the elements are there to medal. Scoring might be a problem though. Not that there aren't skilled players on the roster-but more the chemistry just seems lacking. As you suggest though, the U.S. has a bit more time to work out some kinks in practice-not having their first game until the 27th. I really hope they can get Galchenyuk zeroed in with some line mates. Miller really has to step up as well.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:39 PM
HockeyGuy1975

I can understand the rationale of taking Reilly. Offense is a concern with this team. I would also take the more offensive-minded d-man (regardless of whether Murphy is available) because I think an offensive-minded dman is more valuable to this team than a stay-at-home guy. US also has a goalie that you can hope will bail out defensive lapses.

In general, I think defensive mistakes are so common at this level that you shouldn't build a team to win with defense. It is better to build a team that capitalizes on opponents' defensive mistakes, because at this level those are always there.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:49 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

has the us made all its cuts...or are they planning on cutting someone from russia?

Old
12-23-2012, 07:51 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
has the us made all its cuts...or are they planning on cutting someone from russia?
One more defenseman has to be cut. They are waiting on medical news, possibly about Murphy.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:52 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
They still have a D-man to cut, checking somebodies health. Probably Connor Murphy.

Old
12-23-2012, 07:52 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Really hope Murphy can play, that kid has zero luck.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:08 PM
bigbadbruins7

anyone know when the last cut is expected to be? really hope that Murphy is on this team

Old
12-23-2012, 09:14 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
anyone know when the last cut is expected to be? really hope that Murphy is on this team
Reilly has been the worst by far it seems to most people paying a lot of attention. Sieloff is the other likely option if Housley wants to keep all his puck movers.

I read your post wrong, thought you asked "who" not "when". It sounds like they could wait right to Christmas if they can't get a firm diagnosis on Murphy sooner.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 12-23-2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Read the question wrong
Old
12-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbruins7 View Post
A: They get a firm resolution on Murphy's injury status

B: the rosters are due. (Tuesday)

Old
12-23-2012, 09:21 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

how do you guys feel about the team? i think you have a definite chance of winning gold - but was surprised about how one-sided the Finland game was...i know the rest of the team didn't do Gibson any favours, but i was (am) expecting him to be potentially the best goalie in the tournament.

also...do you expect galchenyuk to stay on the second line and at wing through out the tournament?

i'm looking forward to watching your team - it was too bad how 2012 turned out b/c i always like watching your team play.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
how do you guys feel about the team? i think you have a definite chance of winning gold - but was surprised about how one-sided the Finland game was...i know the rest of the team didn't do Gibson any favours, but i was (am) expecting him to be potentially the best goalie in the tournament.

also...do you expect galchenyuk to stay on the second line and at wing through out the tournament?

i'm looking forward to watching your team - it was too bad how 2012 turned out b/c i always like watching your team play.
I think the team is good. It just depends on if they find any chemistry in a short tournament setting. If a team doesn't develop chemistry (or get key injuries at bad times to Bjugstad and Coyle) quickly in these tournaments where a bunch of guys get together and the margin for error is tiny, bad things happen like last year.

The Finland game was bad. Well specifically it was a very bad 3rd period. Still it was an exhibition game and those things don't really tell you all that much. Hopefully it just serves as a wake up call for the team. I think American teams tend to get a little complacent when people talk them up as favorites, and it's really when they are disregarded as legitimate threats to take the title that they really play at their best. Perhaps that happens this year.

I don't know why everyone is focusing on Galchenyuk being on the second line. There are no first and second lines, there are two scoring lines and a checking line. I think everything is on the table at this point, after watching that disaster yesterday, about whether he plays wing or center. I would put him at center but that is just my opinion and it doesn't really matter much.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:56 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Really hope Murphy can play, that kid has zero luck.
hoping as well...he is a bigger loss then Noesen if he cant go...

Old
12-23-2012, 09:57 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I think the team is good. It just depends on if they find any chemistry in a short tournament setting. If a team doesn't develop chemistry (or get key injuries at bad times to Bjugstad and Coyle) quickly in these tournaments where a bunch of guys get together and the margin for error is tiny, bad things happen like last year.

The Finland game was bad. Well specifically it was a very bad 3rd period. Still it was an exhibition game and those things don't really tell you all that much. Hopefully it just serves as a wake up call for the team. I think American teams tend to get a little complacent when people talk them up as favorites, and it's really when they are disregarded as legitimate threats to take the title that they really play at their best. Perhaps that happens this year.

I don't know why everyone is focusing on Galchenyuk being on the second line. There are no first and second lines, there are two scoring lines and a checking line. I think everything is on the table at this point, after watching that disaster yesterday, about whether he plays wing or center. I would put him at center but that is just my opinion and it doesn't really matter much.
yeah, that's true. i was thinking after i called the game "one-sided" it wasn't a fair comment b/c the game really wasn't...it just blew up in the 3rd.

re: galchenyuk - yeah, i agree ... it's not about second line - i think i was just expecting him to be the centre on one of the top two lines - so was surprised by where he was being played. with that said, i'm more familiar w/ individual US players than I am with how the whole team is usually played at various tournaments - so what catches me by surprise obviously might not be surprising to the people who follow the US team in tournament play more than me.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:01 AM
EvoLu7ioN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Reilly has been the worst by far it seems to most people paying a lot of attention. Sieloff is the other likely option if Housley wants to keep all his puck movers.

I read your post wrong, thought you asked "who" not "when". It sounds like they could wait right to Christmas if they can't get a firm diagnosis on Murphy sooner.
Reilly: Best dman in terms of offense, worst in terms of defense.

Gryz: middle to upper end of the pack offensively, middle to low end defensively.

Seiloff: The worst offensively, middle to upper end of the pack defensively.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:16 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
It has more to do with Trocheck playing on the PK. I understand not wanting to use Gally on the PK as well, but this creates a situation where every penalty keeps Galchenyuk off the ice for at least 3-4 minutes, since you're not going to put Trocheck right back out there again. And if, like last game, you take a few penalties in a period, you end up with having your best forward only playing 4 shifts a period and logging the 3rd least minutes among forwards. That's just poor coaching, though it hopefully won't be happening during the actual tournament.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:23 AM
ALI

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post

Gryz: middle to upper end of the pack offensively, middle to low end defensively.

I rather have Sieloff because he throws clean amazing hits that can give you momentum he is one of the best stay at home D and he has very good chemistry with Trouba.

+Homer

Old
12-24-2012, 01:25 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
It has more to do with Trocheck playing on the PK. I understand not wanting to use Gally on the PK as well, but this creates a situation where every penalty keeps Galchenyuk off the ice for at least 3-4 minutes, since you're not going to put Trocheck right back out there again. And if, like last game, you take a few penalties in a period, you end up with having your best forward only playing 4 shifts a period and logging the 3rd least minutes among forwards. That's just poor coaching, though it hopefully won't be happening during the actual tournament.
Just to be clear, I think those are separate issues. Whether Galchenyuk should play on the PK and whether he is supposedly on the 2nd line.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:31 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
yeah, that's true. i was thinking after i called the game "one-sided" it wasn't a fair comment b/c the game really wasn't...it just blew up in the 3rd.

re: galchenyuk - yeah, i agree ... it's not about second line - i think i was just expecting him to be the centre on one of the top two lines - so was surprised by where he was being played. with that said, i'm more familiar w/ individual US players than I am with how the whole team is usually played at various tournaments - so what catches me by surprise obviously might not be surprising to the people who follow the US team in tournament play more than me.
I don't think we played particularly well in the first two periods. We took way too many penalties. Canada and the US both need to figure that out fast. We never generated any significant stretch of scoring opportunities, which is frankly my biggest worry. The Finns are a very good team and they are coming in ready to roll. We held our own with them for two periods but you simply can't take that many penalties. Eventually the dam just burst.

I think the team was a bit nervous about using Galchenyuk with Grimaldi and Gaudreau. Galchenyuk is fairly big, but he's not going to muck it up in the corner and those other guys are tiny. The idea was that Miller would do the dirty work to open up space. It didn't work so far, so we will have to see what happens. Galchenyuk and Gaudreau also did not mesh very well this summer, so I think the team was trying to get away from that.

Personally I would like to see Lucia moved up to play with Galchenyuk. He's been more impressive in the two exhibition games than Barber who has left me wanting more. If you keep Galchenyuk on the wing then I think this is the option you try.

Lucia-Trochek-Galchenyuk

Although frankly I'd seriously consider breaking the whole thing up and going with:

Lucia-Galchenyuk-Grimaldi
Gaudreau-Trochek-Miller

Old
12-24-2012, 01:36 AM
P10p

Sorry if it's been asked, but anything on how Lucia has been so far, what you guys think of him, and what role does he fill? Anything really. Does he play a gritty game?

Old
12-24-2012, 01:46 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
I think you'll notice that the only ones focusing on Galchenyuk's official position in the lineup are Habs fans.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:09 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Just to be clear, I think those are separate issues. Whether Galchenyuk should play on the PK and whether he is supposedly on the 2nd line.
I'm not advocating that he should be. Just that if they're going to continue to rely heavily on Trocheck for PK duties, then take Gally off his line, because it's killing his 5-on-5 minutes. It may be called the "2nd line", but in terms of TOI, they were used more like a 4th line last game 5-on-5 (with second unit PP opportunities).

To respond to the poster above, I don't care what position or line he plays on, just that he's put in a position to succeed. It's not like that doesn't also benefit Team USA.

Old
12-24-2012, 07:49 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
I think you'll notice that the only ones focusing on Galchenyuk's official position in the lineup are Habs fans.
I don't know what you talk about

Old
12-24-2012, 08:10 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post

Bruin fan here, not trolling but haven`t watched Gryz play, how has he looked? Thanks

Old
12-24-2012, 08:34 AM
William H Bonney

From Rob Simpson (@simmerpuck):

Speculation was on Connor Murphy's health; was not related to puck-off-neck in Sweden exhbtn game. He skated full hour practice 2day #USAWJC

Old
12-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
From Rob Simpson (@simmerpuck):

Speculation was on Connor Murphy's health; was not related to puck-off-neck in Sweden exhbtn game. He skated full hour practice 2day #USAWJC
That's a good sign.

Closed Thread