HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The price of success is hard work

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2012, 11:06 AM
  #1
WeWantACup
HFB Partner
 
WeWantACup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 498
vCash: 500
The price of success is hard work

They say there are no guarantees in hockey, or in any sport for that matter. To err is human, after all, right?While you might not be able to ensure a win, or that you’ll score a hat trick on a particular night, the old adage of “practice makes perfect” holds steadfast in modern sports. The school of thought with regards to hockey maintains that the harder you work off the ice, and the more you practice on the ice, the better your chances of success, or at the very least, the better prepared you will be for a game scenario. Read More

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/...s-is-hard-work


WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:42 AM
  #2
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,043
vCash: 551
You make them sounds like heroes. Everything in life that is worth it takes a lot of effort. A University degree, for instance. So these guys hit the gym 6 times a week, because it helps them be super rich. Whoopteedoo.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 12:10 PM
  #3
IBeL13f
Registered User
 
IBeL13f's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
You make them sounds like heroes. Everything in life that is worth it takes a lot of effort. A University degree, for instance. So these guys hit the gym 6 times a week, because it helps them be super rich. Whoopteedoo.
They just do it for the PR

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 01:24 PM
  #4
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,043
vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
They just do it for the PR
lol

No, Their bodies have to be fine tuned machines to output at the highest levels. There can be a huge difference in dollars between two similar players, one in great shape, and another is Kyle Wellwood.
Now that they are making unreal money, they have to be at the peak of conditioning.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2012, 11:26 PM
  #5
8dm13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
You make them sounds like heroes. Everything in life that is worth it takes a lot of effort. A University degree, for instance. So these guys hit the gym 6 times a week, because it helps them be super rich. Whoopteedoo.
Couple things. To many young fans out there, these guys are heroes. You're right that success in life takes hard work, and I wasn't trying to say otherwise, but please don't belittle what these athletes do to "so they hit the gym 6 times a week". That lifestyle takes so much more than just waking up and going to the gym. Furthermore, don't trivialize their commitment as a means to become 'super rich'. It's not a math equation. Showing up to a gym does not equal loads of money. They train hard so that they can improve their game and stay healthy to try and win a Stanley Cup. That reward is worth far more to many of these guys than a paycheck. Have you ever trained at an elite level for an extended period of time (months, years?). Don't knock it until you try it. They earn that money. Far from "whoopteedoo." In any case, thanks for the comment.

D

8dm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 09:47 AM
  #6
leafspring*
 
leafspring*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,361
vCash: 500
Iginla, gary roberts,lucic,tiger williams,butch goring,st Louis etc,and there are many that rose above expectations with a work ethic as the sole contributing factor for success.

Kids should look up to that seeing this is a sports site, a good example of how hard work will get ya through University/College,or a work day. Astrong work ethic is transferrable.

good article.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:06 AM
  #7
Bomber0104
Registered User
 
Bomber0104's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,241
vCash: 500
Forward your news article to Nazem Kadri, post haste.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:12 AM
  #8
8dm13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Iginla, gary roberts,lucic,tiger williams,butch goring,st Louis etc,and there are many that rose above expectations with a work ethic as the sole contributing factor for success.

Kids should look up to that seeing this is a sports site, a good example of how hard work will get ya through University/College,or a work day. Astrong work ethic is transferrable.

good article.

Thanks for the comment. Appreciate it.

8dm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 08:41 AM
  #9
Anthrax442
Registered User
 
Anthrax442's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,043
vCash: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dm13 View Post
Couple things. To many young fans out there, these guys are heroes.
Young people are idiots, that's why the best marketing ploys are geared towards them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dm13 View Post
please don't belittle what these athletes do to "so they hit the gym 6 times a week". That lifestyle takes so much more than just waking up and going to the gym.
You are right. It's so damn hard, it's like the the coal mines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dm13 View Post
Showing up to a gym does not equal loads of money.
That's for damn sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dm13 View Post
They train hard so that they can improve their game and stay healthy to try and win a Stanley Cup.
They train to be a better product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dm13 View Post
That reward is worth far more to many of these guys than a paycheck.
Absolutely not. SC is a welcomed bonus, but none of them will trade their dough for the SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dm13 View Post
ave you ever trained at an elite level for an extended period of time (months, years?).
Yes, I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dm13 View Post
They earn that money. Far from "whoopteedoo."
Jesus, you sound like a 12 year old girl waiting for Justin Bieber to come through town. Seriously, judging by your comment, ALL athletes should be compensated in the bi-millions, well how about all the other sports, where they train "so hard" and don't get the celebrity status or the purse, even though they bust their chops year round.

These NHLers, they are very talented, top of the world, no question, but writing how heroic they are and all the hard work they put in is like writing how awesome Oxygen is, and you have to make sure you breathe. It is THE ONLY thing they do.l They have the best trainers, facilities, nutrition pros available to them because they are SUPPOSED to be training this hard. Those that go above and beyond, get to enjoy more money and success. Athletes do it all for the money.

Anthrax442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:59 AM
  #10
8dm13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
Young people are idiots, that's why the best marketing ploys are geared towards them.



You are right. It's so damn hard, it's like the the coal mines.



That's for damn sure.



They train to be a better product.



Absolutely not. SC is a welcomed bonus, but none of them will trade their dough for the SC.



Yes, I have.



Jesus, you sound like a 12 year old girl waiting for Justin Bieber to come through town. Seriously, judging by your comment, ALL athletes should be compensated in the bi-millions, well how about all the other sports, where they train "so hard" and don't get the celebrity status or the purse, even though they bust their chops year round.

These NHLers, they are very talented, top of the world, no question, but writing how heroic they are and all the hard work they put in is like writing how awesome Oxygen is, and you have to make sure you breathe. It is THE ONLY thing they do.l They have the best trainers, facilities, nutrition pros available to them because they are SUPPOSED to be training this hard. Those that go above and beyond, get to enjoy more money and success. Athletes do it all for the money.

So young people are idiots for having heroes and money is the only thing that matters in life. Cool. You've got a very open mind. Ill agree to disagree because you've very clearly missed the point. Thanks for reading.

8dm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:42 AM
  #11
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,238
vCash: 500
Yes they work hard, are dedicated, and deserve to be compensated well for their efforts.

Just like anyone else who has a job and works hard. Let's not make these guys out to be more than they are. This sort of idolatry is silly, and a bit of a slap in the face to the meaning of hard-work and the people who do it in the real world.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:24 PM
  #12
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Striving to be a professional athlete?


I don't know. This site is a distraction/past-time, but we should look up to other people instead: teachers, doctors, firemen, social workers, etc. Most pro athletes don't do an ounce of good comparatively speaking.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:28 PM
  #13
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dm13 View Post
So young people are idiots for having heroes and money is the only thing that matters in life. Cool. You've got a very open mind. Ill agree to disagree because you've very clearly missed the point. Thanks for reading.
Well not "idiots", but certainly naive and misguided.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:02 PM
  #14
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 3,090
vCash: 500
When you factor in the number of players who train for years on end for a SHOT at a hockey career, VS those who even get a sniff at turning pro, trivializing what these guys put themselves through; the dedication to excellence you need to wake up in the morning embracing, seems overtly, and unnecessarily cynical. The author highlights these aspects in his piece. The author is also pursuing a career in athletic training and nutrition, if I'm not mistaken. He also rubs shoulders with pro hockey players and NHL legends regularly in his present line of work. I'd say he's a tad more than a star-struck fan-boy like some of the more cynical posters here would like to suggest.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:12 PM
  #15
Cool Beans Man
Registered User
 
Cool Beans Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Gill As A Leaf View Post
Striving to be a professional athlete?


I don't know. This site is a distraction/past-time, but we should look up to other people instead: teachers, doctors, firemen, social workers, etc. Most pro athletes don't do an ounce of good comparatively speaking.
Pretty ignorant comment IMO.

LOTS of pro athletes use their position as a public figure/role model for very positive reasons, even if it doesn't hail in comparison to doctors, teachers, etc.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:27 PM
  #16
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
Pretty ignorant comment IMO.

LOTS of pro athletes use their position as a public figure/role model for very positive reasons, even if it doesn't hail in comparison to doctors, teachers, etc.
If you want to go ahead and idolize athletes for making an appearance, and using their fame 1 afternoon a year compared to other great/tireless people then go ahead. I certainly wouldn't throw around the word "ignorant" if I were you.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:28 PM
  #17
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
Pretty ignorant comment IMO.

LOTS of pro athletes use their position as a public figure/role model for very positive reasons, even if it doesn't hail in comparison to doctors, teachers, etc.
And then there's Evander Kane. LOL.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:21 PM
  #18
8dm13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Clarification

The purpose of this piece wasn't to elevate these players to god-like statuses. Most young kids idolize a player because they're good at what they do, and it's healthy to have a kid looking up to someone who's dedicated countless hours to perfecting a craft as it would help with the realization that sacrifice and commitment are necessary to achieve your goals. Does that mean that idolizing a doctor or teacher or a parent is worthless or wrong? Not at all, but you have the respect the mental and physical grind that an NHL player goes through as compared to other careers, particularly those that train at an elite level. Perhaps the primary difference between being an NHL hockey player and other jobs, is that for the most part when one leaves the office or their place of work, they have some 'time off' so to speak. Take a nurse, for example. Tiring and draining 12 hour shifts that require an incredible amount of emotional and mental stability (and dedication to studying throughout the necessary schooling) but when they get home, they have time to see their families (and catch up on sleep!). Professional athletes, and more specifically hockey players in big markets like TO, have every aspect of their lives dissected and judged on a massive scale with tons of media and fans looking for the latest on a daily basis. Even if the latest means who you're marrying, what you do on weekends, what you're eating, and what your kids' names are. There's something to be said for all this "behind the scenes" stuff that players deal with on a daily basis all while trying to keep focus on their physically demanding jobs. Now, are all hockey players the model of perfection and worthy of young fans' fervent adoration? No. Didn't even come close to suggesting that. Evidently some have missed the point, so I figured I'd clarify: the crux of the article was meant to simply show that conditioning, training and nutrition have undergone a significant revolution of late, and those that commit themselves to rigorous regimens deserve respect. This has nothing to do with taking away respect from others who work hard in different fields....there's plenty to go around.

8dm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:44 PM
  #19
Cool Beans Man
Registered User
 
Cool Beans Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Gill As A Leaf View Post
If you want to go ahead and idolize athletes for making an appearance, and using their fame 1 afternoon a year compared to other great/tireless people then go ahead. I certainly wouldn't throw around the word "ignorant" if I were you.
I suppose you didn't really read my response, as I said "even if it doesn't hail in comparison to doctors, teachers, etc."

But if you say most pro athletes don't do an ounce of good, then tell that to the hundreds of sick kids who were visited by their heroes this Christmas, just to bring some joy to their otherwise miserable lives.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 07:00 AM
  #20
Kadri43
Registered User
 
Kadri43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: noneofyourbusiness
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dm13 View Post
So young people are idiots for having heroes and money is the only thing that matters in life. Cool. You've got a very open mind. Ill agree to disagree because you've very clearly missed the point. Thanks for reading.
At least Anthrax tells things as they are. You are giving the nice cookie cutter answer that everyone wants to hear.
Even though I do not like it, I admit money drives the world.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 07:13 AM
  #21
bobermay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Barrie/UofGuelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax442 View Post
You make them sounds like heroes. Everything in life that is worth it takes a lot of effort. A University degree, for instance. So these guys hit the gym 6 times a week, because it helps them be super rich. Whoopteedoo.
These days, even a university degree doesn't tame much work. Degrees seem to be handed out left and right these days... not too difficult to get.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
  #22
Cool Beans Man
Registered User
 
Cool Beans Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
These days, even a university degree doesn't tame much work. Degrees seem to be handed out left and right these days... not too difficult to get.
Which university degrees are these? I wish I could have had it that easier when I graduated 2 years ago.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:35 PM
  #23
nsleaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dm13 View Post
The purpose of this piece wasn't to elevate these players to god-like statuses. Most young kids idolize a player because they're good at what they do, and it's healthy to have a kid looking up to someone who's dedicated countless hours to perfecting a craft as it would help with the realization that sacrifice and commitment are necessary to achieve your goals. Does that mean that idolizing a doctor or teacher or a parent is worthless or wrong? Not at all, but you have the respect the mental and physical grind that an NHL player goes through as compared to other careers, particularly those that train at an elite level. Perhaps the primary difference between being an NHL hockey player and other jobs, is that for the most part when one leaves the office or their place of work, they have some 'time off' so to speak. Take a nurse, for example. Tiring and draining 12 hour shifts that require an incredible amount of emotional and mental stability (and dedication to studying throughout the necessary schooling) but when they get home, they have time to see their families (and catch up on sleep!). Professional athletes, and more specifically hockey players in big markets like TO, have every aspect of their lives dissected and judged on a massive scale with tons of media and fans looking for the latest on a daily basis. Even if the latest means who you're marrying, what you do on weekends, what you're eating, and what your kids' names are. There's something to be said for all this "behind the scenes" stuff that players deal with on a daily basis all while trying to keep focus on their physically demanding jobs. Now, are all hockey players the model of perfection and worthy of young fans' fervent adoration? No. Didn't even come close to suggesting that. Evidently some have missed the point, so I figured I'd clarify: the crux of the article was meant to simply show that conditioning, training and nutrition have undergone a significant revolution of late, and those that commit themselves to rigorous regimens deserve respect. This has nothing to do with taking away respect from others who work hard in different fields....there's plenty to go around.

Then of course we have those pro athletes who cheat!

nsleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:46 PM
  #24
summerstorm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
so this "hard work produces success" is something new????...best get a life and indeed you will learn...I'm goin' with you feel "entitled" to a good life...but maybe if you applied yourself life would be better....this is not a new idea...and to promote it in a news article simply reveals the inability of the author to actually articulate an intelligent article...sorry...total fail!!!

summerstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:22 PM
  #25
ForSpareParts*
agreement
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
I suppose you didn't really read my response, as I said "even if it doesn't hail in comparison to doctors, teachers, etc."

But if you say most pro athletes don't do an ounce of good, then tell that to the hundreds of sick kids who were visited by their heroes this Christmas, just to bring some joy to their otherwise miserable lives.

Now you're on to something. I would put a lot of sports fans in this state of being and not just people who are hospitalized. Looking up to athletes to provide a glimmer of hope/light my just be the very thing you're experiencing.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.