HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 7.0 - "Turns Rust To Gold?" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2012, 09:30 AM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Good wrist shot = captain?

Old
12-24-2012, 09:36 AM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Intangibles.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:39 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
I have no idea what sort of Captain Galchenyuk will be at the NHL level. But he is clearly doing a good job at the Junior.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalHabsGal View Post
Because I see Gally (work ethic) as Joe Sakic

- Amazing wrist shot
- Determination
- Work Ethic
- Gentlement, nice guys
- Skills
You don't give the C to a 17 yr old player, the only time this happened at such a young and it was a legitimate decision was when Sidney Crosby got it and he was 19 years old.

With the current roster I really don't see anyone more mature and ethically suited for the job other than Brian Gionta. Gorges could get it, but since his role on the team is being a conservative denfensemen, I'd rather have someone else in the future get it.

If DD has a great season (whenever we will see one) and Brian either retires due to injuries or is traded, he would be my first candidate for the job. But he still has to prove he can be a top center in the NHL.

I'm sure Gally has the potential for the role but he will have to find what his role will be in the NHL and before that happens he has one big obstacle to counter that is how will he deal with Montreal's nightlife and the responsibilities that comes with playing for the team that is the beacon of hockey success in history.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:50 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
You don't give the C to a 17 yr old player, the only time this happened at such a young and it was a legitimate decision was when Sidney Crosby got it and he was 19 years old.

With the current roster I really don't see anyone more mature and ethically suited for the job other than Brian Gionta. Gorges could get it, but since his role on the team is being a conservative denfensemen, I'd rather have someone else in the future get it.

If DD has a great season (whenever we will see one) and Brian either retires due to injuries or is traded, he would be my first candidate for the job. But he still has to prove he can be a top center in the NHL.

I'm sure Gally has the potential for the role but he will have to find what his role will be in the NHL and before that happens he has one big obstacle to counter that is how will he deal with Montreal's nightlife and the responsibilities that comes with playing for the team that is the beacon of hockey success in history.
If Subban keeps maturing properly, I definitely see him wearing at least the A in the next 2-3 years. And if he proves himself as a real asset, I don't see why he couldn't be C as well.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
If Subban keeps maturing properly, I definitely see him wearing at least the A in the next 2-3 years. And if he proves himself as a real asset, I don't see why he couldn't be C as well.
He will need to improve a lot in the maturity department. I'm pretty sure recalling him causing quite a bit of divisive sentiments last year and many costly turnovers especially in the first half of the season.

Maybe in ten years.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:04 AM
newromanceforkids

Quote:

Gabriel Landeskog

"Move over Sidney Crosby.

The Colorado Avalanche made NHL history on Tuesday afternoon in naming Swedish teenager Gabriel Landeskog as the organizationís fourth captain, putting what was the youngest franchise in the league last season in the hands of the youngest captain ever." Globe and Mail

Old
12-24-2012, 10:05 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
He will need to improve a lot in the maturity department. I'm pretty sure recalling him causing quite a bit of divisive sentiments last year and many costly turnovers especially in the first half of the season.

Maybe in ten years.
I don't think we can really count last year as a proper measuring stick regarding morale. The entire team was in shamble.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:27 AM
domdo345

Guys, being the C is a hard task. How do you expect him to get everyone along in the room when it has been said he doesn't talk much because of his accent by a teammate. You want him to face the media every single slump we'll be in? It is Montreal here, not Colorado. You can give him the A for his work ethic on and off the ice, but that's irrelevant anyway. It is just more pressure for something he can do without a letter. Don't think only the guys with the letters are playing a leader role.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:29 AM
newromanceforkids

I'm not saying he should be cap. Just pointing out Crosby isn't the youngest to be a cap...

Old
12-24-2012, 11:16 AM
GalHabsGal

Quote:

First, i am not saying i want Gally to be captain at 17 years old (and if I am not mistaken he is 18?). And in february he will be 19.

But he could be captain at 23-24, thats mean he will have 4-5 years experience and would be more ready for it!

I dont realy care if he is not Captain, butttttt if one day (we are lucky enough) he become as good as Sakic I hope he got the C.

Last edited by GalHabsGal: 12-24-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added stuffs
Old
12-24-2012, 11:24 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalHabsGal View Post
First, i am not saying i want Gally to be captain at 17 years old (and if I am not mistaken he is 18?). And in february he will be 19.

But he could be captain at 23-24, thats mean he will have 4-5 years experience and would be more ready for it!
Explain to me why is it that important to you that Gally has a ''C'' letter on his jersey. You already know that at 23-24, he'll be expected to carry the offense. He does not need anymore pressure than this. What happens when there is a slump, he has a hard time producing AND the media start a ******** attempt to say he's not unanimous as a leader in the locker room? The C in MTL needs to be someone that has A LOT of baggage. Gorges or Plekanec will fit the bill. And then, when he'll have tasted enough of MTL and those 2 vets are gone, I am pretty sure Tinordi will be the captain.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:28 AM
LeMAD

What's wrong with Gorges as our next captain? (and then maybe Tinordi?)

Giving Landeskog the C at this age was a ridiculous move, I have no idea why we would do the same.

And I'm not in the locker room, but from my standing point (sitting in an old couch in my basement), it looks to me like Subban is not captain, or even alternate captain material...

Old
12-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Seriously i dont care about the C. But its rise questions about a player who is a top prospect apparently having little ice time due to being labeled a sure bet yet the coach choose like 1 captain and 4 assistants and he isnt even there.. i mean just an A would have been fine but it really doesnt matter of course but its just it doesnt really show us the level of confidence/commitment housley has towards Gally.

Imo.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:35 AM
Guilliam

I'd rather see Tinordi become captain to be honest. Tough SOB, already a leader despite being a rookie in hamilton, seems to be respected by everyone and he could beat the crap out of an opposing player taking liberty at one of our players.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:39 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I'd rather see Tinordi become captain to be honest. Tough SOB, already a leader despite being a rookie in hamilton, seems to be respected by everyone and he could beat the crap out of an opposing player taking liberty at one of our players.
I remember Mike Komisarek.

Some people here are getting way too ahead. Let Gallly finish this season and let's talk about him in NHL whenever the stupid league comes back.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post

Some people here are getting way too ahead. Let Gallly finish this season and let's talk about him in NHL whenever the stupid league comes back.
Yep.

It's dumb talking about future captains anyway, especially those not on the roster.

As you said, Komisarek was a "future captain", same for Christopher Higgins and Kyle Chipchura.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Yep.

It's dumb talking about future captains anyway, especially those not on the roster.

As you said, Komisarek was a "future captain", same for Christopher Higgins and Kyle Chipchura.
Fully agree as well. Tinordi surely looks like a real captain material but doesnt mean its gonna happen.. in a r3alistic scenario Gorges has like instant Captain status if gionta leaves. He is a no brainer. In short term that is.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:23 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
You don't give the C to a 17 yr old player, the only time this happened at such a young and it was a legitimate decision was when Sidney Crosby got it and he was 19 years old..
Yzerman, Toews, Crosby, Landeskog, Lecav all made captain around 21 or younger. All have won cups too except for Land. No reason Galhenyuk couldn't be captain at a young age. He has the work ethic and will.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:26 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:

Gally could be centering our top line in a month. It could happen. He's tearing up junior. Could tear up WJC. Lockout could end on Jan 1. Could be signed. Not completel out of the possibility.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:28 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Gally could be centering our top line in a month. It could happen. He's tearing up junior. Could tear up WJC. Lockout could end on Jan 1. Could be signed. Not completel out of the possibility.
That's a lot of "could". How about we wait a little?

Old
12-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Roulin

I wouldn't be too keen on having a rookie be the first to deal with the media after every loss. If Galchenyuk wants to take on a leadership role on the team, I don't think he needs a letter to do so.

Gionta seems to be doing a fine job as captain. Whenever he leaves, Gorges seems like a good candidate. A veteran with patience.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Gorges is next captain. He is the glue between our young core. The type of player management can lean on for insight about team chemistry, what he feels is missing from a winner, a direct voice to the players, etc. Just seems appropriate in every way.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:15 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
That's a lot of "could". How about we wait a little?
The only thing of his could list that has, or will for sure happen is Galchenyuk being signed.

Hopefully he does well at the WJC.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:28 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
The only thing of his could list that has, or will for sure happen is Galchenyuk being signed.

Hopefully he does well at the WJC.
Well, I'm pretty sure he has signed in the summer.

Closed Thread