HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Flat Stanley

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangBanged View Post
Unless his stock drastically rose recently, I think Landry Jones is expected to be available in rounds 2-4 as well. I think he'd be an interesting fit.
No way, I think Landry Jones will be a 1st round pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
I hate that we have a game in London. We may as well be playing in Timbuktu.
Yeah, but every year they pick 2 teams to go to London and the Steelers have one of the largest fan bases in the NFL. It's good for the British NFL/Steelers fans.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:42 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
This is something the Steelers haven't experienced in like 13 years... their 1st round picks aren't contributing. Guys like Hood, Heyward, and Mendenhall haven't really done much to justify their draft selection, and it's showing.

I don't mind getting rid of Hampton, Harrison, and perhaps even Woodley. The pass rush was non existent for most of the season.

IMO, drafting a pass rushing OLB is the biggest need, by far. Clark and Polamalu should have a season or 3 in them still. Both Harrison and Woodley seem done, which is sad to say because Woodley is only 28.

I would also keep Mendenhall. He's by far more talented than either Dwyer or Redman, and the only back on the team who can take it outside (Rainey isn't a scrimmage back, and never will be). Mendenhall and Dwyer can be a solid tandem. Of course, his off field issues are likely to guarantee his departure.

I would also keep Wallace. WR's like him don't grow on trees. He doesn't have much leverage for a big contract, although other teams will surely pay up.

It's sad to say but this season looks like the last one where they had the personnel to contend, and they blew it.

Keeping Lewis should be #1 priority. They finally found a complementary CB to Ike.

Old
12-24-2012, 11:47 AM
Ziggyjoe21

I think the draft needs are as follows:

1) OLB
2) ILB
3) Safety
3a) NT (unless they plan on keeping the drink and driver)
4) RB (if they don't keep Mendy)
5) WR (if they don't keep Wallace)

I think drafting a QB is stupid. They won't draft Ben's "heir" right now, and no 6th round QB will be half as good as Batch or Leftwhich. There are plenty of veteran QBs out there who are more than capable to be backups if Steelers won't keep Batch or Leftwhich.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:11 PM
End of Line
Human After All

How I would like to see the draft go.

1. BPA (Trade down is possible)
2. ILB (Shayne Skov, Stanford)
3. OLB (John Simon, Ohio State)
4. S (Philip Thomas, Fresno St)
5. WR
6. ?
7. ?

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-24-2012, 12:25 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

They have to cut some dead weight and dip into free agency. They can't get rid of both Harrison and woodley, because we don't have anyone to replace them as it stands.

This offseason will be very interesting.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
And Steelers TE Heath Miller tore his ACL and MCL. Brutal.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:52 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Dirty ****ing hit as well.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:01 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

That type of injury is going to put him out for next year, right?

Old
12-24-2012, 01:07 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
That type of injury is going to put him out for next year, right?
Good chance if the PCL is also damaged.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/12/24/...faces-surgery/

Quote:
Tight end Heath Miller faces surgery after suffering an ACL and MCL injury, and possibly a partial PCL injury, in his right knee against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:11 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

8 months roughly...so yea not good.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
That won't happen.

Trade Ben because he blew 2 games? Have you watch a whole season?

As for Tomlin, Steelers would never fire him for a single mediocre season. Cowher had 3 straight non-playoff years and they didn't fire him.
I will say that Tomlin has really made me question him a number of times this year with riverboat gambler moves at the end of games, unnecessary gambles, that almost always have failed. And that is not Monday morning quarterbacking, but at the time everyone knew that they were stupid gambles. Going for it on 4th down at the goal line numerous times this year, most of them failing, that 53 or so yard field goal attempt with two minutes left in the game. He has made some real WTF decisions this year. The one yesterday he ended up getting away with, but others have cost us games. He obviously has some good qualities as well. But he really needs to get some common sense or he is going to continue to cost us games.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:49 PM
Sivek

Probably the end of the portion of Miller's career as a great TE. Such a serious injury to a guy who's been in the league for so long is extremely hard to come back at at full strength or without significant drop-off. Will likely mark Heath entering the Troy portion of his career where you remember how good he used to be.

Next season is going to be the most negative I've been about the Steelers in forever. I think they're really close entering the decline phase that all great teams have where following a long string of success you hit upon a number of mediocre seasons in a row before bottoming out. Hope it's more like a mid-2000's Packers thing where they bounce back quickly than a mid-to-late 90's Bills deal. Can't remember the last time I've felt so negative towards the future with the Steelers, just think they're much closer to putting together a number of 6 to 9 win seasons if some guys don't step out up their game. One of these years Ben's going to get an injury that keeps him a lot of longer than a couple of games and unless the team upgrades the back-up spots, they could be in real trouble like the Colts last year. Can't see Leftwich being brought back since he is incapable of finishing a game, that's been proven his every year as a Steeler and Charlie's game against the Ravens was probably the last death rattle of his career rather than a sign he could start multiple games if necessary.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Flat Stanley

Here is how I think the Steelers should draft.

Note: I don't know the rankings of certain players, I just go by how they will fit our team. Also, I know Ziggyjoe21 thinks drafting a QB is stupid, I agree that there are backup QB's on the free agent market, but the Pats drafted Ryan Mallett in the 3rd round to backup Tom Brady. I know he's a few years older than Ben but he's also less injury prone and has a better offensive line. I think we should draft a QB.

1. S Baccari Rambo, Georgia/T.J. MacDonald, USC
2. OLB John Simon, Ohio State
3. QB E.J. Manuel, Florida State
4. CB Ray-Ray Armstrong, Faulkner
5. RB Cameron Marshall, Arizona State
7. WR Dan Buckner, Arizona

Old
12-24-2012, 02:36 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I don't think it'll hurt heath as much as you do. He's pretty straight forward and doesn't rely on agility. He'll be fine IMO.

ACL/MCL isn't as career ending as it used to be...there have been plenty of examples of this.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
We do need a better backup QB. Steelers could try the 3rd round, E.J. Manuel from Florida State would be a guy to look at. 6'5" 234 lbs. He's accurate, athletic and projected to be a 3rd round pick in the draft.
that FSU-Clemson game was awesome. Manuel has been pretty inconsistent his whole career but finally put things together this season. i think he'd be a solid pickup.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Not a Steelers fan but that ****ing sucks for Heath and the Steelers. Hopefully he recovers well

Old
12-24-2012, 05:22 PM
seabs926

IMO, going into the draft the Steelers top needs will be:

1) WR/CB (depends on which of Wallace or Lewis leave) - I'd rather keep Lewis since I think WR will be easier to replace. You need 3 starting CB's in this league as well. Sanders isn't to be trusted so our depth will be severly depleted with Wallace gone.
2) OLB - Cutting Woodley doesn't save us anything on the cap, Harrison needs to accept a reduction (not a restructure) on his salary or he's gone.
3) S - As nice as it was to see Troy flying around against the Bengals, can we really trust him to do that next year?

Secondary needs:

NT, ILB, RB

There's a ton of decent RB's in free agency this year, a lot of which are better than Dwyer or Redman. The biggest problem with them is that it takes them 2 seconds to get to the line of scrimmage. Holes aren't generally open for that long. Guys that you could get on the cheap: Felix Jones, Beanie Wells since he may be cut, Justin Forsett. I'd like to see Jones added, then Christine Michael in the mid rounds.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:27 PM
JTG

That's a terrible cap to an absolutely outstanding season by Heath Miller. He should get a ton of pro bowl votes.

I have no idea what is in store for this Steelers team, but it's not going to be good.

I think a good way to go about things is to target young guys in free agency, pay them, and cut the old dead weight. Do a very quick transition. I know this team hates paying guys, but sometimes you have to do it to keep the standard high. Jake Long is the longest shot of them all, but the dividends he'd pay would be huge. Our OL would be set. Some vets need to restructure their deals...I'm mainly looking at Woodley. He should feel embarrassed for how he's played.

Other free agents that may be worth while...Peyton Hillis if Rashard Mendenhall doesn't re-sign, or a trade for Steven Jackson would be ideal. Aside from Jake Long, Branden Albert from the Chiefs might be a good target if they decide that they don't want to pay him (which I very highly doubt). Shawn Phillips might be a good veteran OLB to talk to. I think he's been one of the most underrated football players in the league for years. Brian Urlacher is also a free agent. I don't imagine he'll ever leave Chicago, but I like him as a guy to fill Foote's spot. We can then move Timmons over as a rush linebacker. LaRon Landry is also a free agent this offseason. He hasn't been able to find a home, but he was arguably the most talented defensive player in his draft year. He's played on some really bad teams. He's not going to get a long term deal, and I think the risk v. reward is good.

Last edited by JTG: 12-24-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 05:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Dont the Steelers have cap issues as well going into next season? not sure they can afford to add a guy like Urlacher or Landry even if they are on the market.
Mendenhall and Wallace are likely gone. I dont think anyone else on the roster can be a no.1 back.
Wallace is going to want to get paid. Maybe the Steelers franchise Wallace, but I still view him as a cap casualty.
I agree the Steelers need to draft a QB somewhere in the middle rounds. Enough of these 50 year old backups made of glass or have noodle arms.

EDIT: Man does that suck about Miller. I didnt see the hit as we had the Pats/Jags game on and I was too ticked off to want to watch the lowlights.
Havent seen confirmation yet other then the tweet about the MCL being torn as well, but if all 3 are torn or even if its a MCL/ACL tear i cant see him being here for a good portian of the 13 season. Just another slot they are going to have to fill in with limited cap space.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:01 PM
JTG

This may be the year where the Steelers just liquidate all the highly priced, aged contracts they have. Just do what they have to do to get them off the books. Bring in younger fresh talent on similar deals.

There's no possible way this team can be rebuilt organically unless the organization and fanbase is cool with taking the next 2 or 3 years as being "down" years.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Sucks about Miller. TE was going to have to be a draft or UFA priority going forward anyway since he's around 30 now and the Steelers TE depth is not that great currently.

I really don't see major changes happening though. The Steelers have some older bodies but the D still mostly played great down the stretch and they are in win now mode since the franchise QB is 31. No time to rebuild this thing with the current QB.

Old
12-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Sucks about Miller but it's literally not a big deal. Someone stated that the recovery time is 8 months. That put's him on pace to come back during the preseason.

Old
12-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
This may be the year where the Steelers just liquidate all the highly priced, aged contracts they have. Just do what they have to do to get them off the books. Bring in younger fresh talent on similar deals.

There's no possible way this team can be rebuilt organically unless the organization and fanbase is cool with taking the next 2 or 3 years as being "down" years.
This is what I was thinking. If they couldn't contend this year, there's no way they can contend next.

However, it is possible that this is a fluke season if you think about it. The defense is rated #1 in the WHOLE LEAGUE. They just couldn't come up with some big plays. Also they kept getting burned at the start due to Ike Taylor's slow start. Who could predict one of the best corners in the league would play so bad for a few games? And yes, Ike is easily an elite corner. He consistently shuts down #1 WR's. He doesn't get recognition because he can't catch the ball. But that's a topic for a different day.
The D was also dominant without Polamalu. Has to count for something.

The offense also scored more points than last season.

Some of the losses were real flukes. 8 turnovers vs the Browns??? Steelers gave Cleveland the ball every possession and still lost by only a TD. And how many games were lost because Sanders and Brown can't hold on to the ball or just plain incompetent?

IMO these things that can (should) be fixed. Unfortunately, most of the core players on D are getting way too old to wait around.

Still, the Steelers are in better shape than most teams in the NFL. I don't see them slipping below 8 wins in the near future as long as Lebeau and Ben are with the team.

Old
12-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
I feel bad for one heck of a human being, just terrible.

Get well asap.

Closed Thread