HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Exhibition • Dec. 22 • Canada 2, Sweden 1 (SO) • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2012, 04:35 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Holy Smokes! 2 days later and this is still a topic for discussion. Was this the most egregious act any hockey player has ever committed in the history of the sport? It was a second late and unfortunately it resulted in a player getting seriously injured on the play; Jenner should receive a suspension as a result of it, but let it go people, it's not worth the 2 days you've wasted discussing it.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:59 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
The sport needs as much intensity as a player can bring at all times.
When the intensity results in a speedy, hard-fought game where players are throwing big hits to rattle their opponents, there is nothing wrong with the intensity.

But when somebody is going for someone in a situation that has no relevant bearing toward the result, only looking for hits himself (in YouTube), everything's wrong.

My statement was not a statement against physical game and intensity in general, but simply about knowing when to hit. There is a pretty clear distinction, but of course some of you fail to make it. In purpose, I'm guessing, given how it's your homies' head on the line.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:59 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Oh yes a blindside hit to the head when leaving your feet is the exact same as a slightly late hit to the body.
you realize it was only a blindside hit because Horton turned his head and admired his pass, I thought that's what a lot of people were arguing on the Jenner hit. Also, the time was the same, about 1 second so I don't know why only one would be slightly late. I agree with the Rome suspension and I think Jenner will get a hefty suspension as well. Injuries play a huge role in suspensions, they just do.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:10 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Holy Smokes! 2 days later and this is still a topic for discussion. Was this the most egregious act any hockey player has ever committed in the history of the sport? It was a second late and unfortunately it resulted in a player getting seriously injured on the play; Jenner should receive a suspension as a result of it, but let it go people, it's not worth the 2 days you've wasted discussing it.
If people on the HF boards can argue in circles about the lockout for months across 30 topics, they should be able to hold a 2 or 3 day discussion on whether the it was legal or not.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:22 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
If people on the HF boards can argue in circles about the lockout for months across 30 topics, they should be able to hold a 2 or 3 day discussion on whether the it was legal or not.
I suppose, if people got nothing better to do with their time or more important hockey related matters to discuss, then have at it, go for the jugular. But in my book it's a complete waste of time.

Old
12-24-2012, 06:43 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Only just saw the replay. That is one seriously late hit. Nothing that late fits any meaningful definition of "clean". Deserving of suspension, for sure, without question.

If that had been one of our guys on the receiving end of such a hit, we'd be rioting in the streets demanding blood.
Agreed, the game moves quick, I`m all up for finishing checks however, late hit, suspendable hit according to the rules and he`ll get suspended and as you stated, anyone here backing Canada, if this were a Canadian on the receiving end, and his tournament had come to an end as a result of this exact same hit, same context, we`d all be screaming long term suspension too.

What bothered me on top of it all is the fact that Team Canada has already struggled with discipline, and the refs have called everything, some deserved, some not, and the fact that Jenner did this tells me, the message hasn`t/hadn`t sunk through to him yet.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
you realize it was only a blindside hit because Horton turned his head and admired his pass, I thought that's what a lot of people were arguing on the Jenner hit. Also, the time was the same, about 1 second so I don't know why only one would be slightly late. I agree with the Rome suspension and I think Jenner will get a hefty suspension as well. Injuries play a huge role in suspensions, they just do.
I said nothing on the timing of the Rome hit. My point was one was to the head leaving his feet, the other too the body.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseman3 View Post
Maybe the reason people are doing it, is because it did ? If Petterson had been a legal target of the hit he would have been prepared and braced himself.

Now he was not, because he had the passed the puck. He appears to have had some sort of misplaced trust in that canadians could actually behave somewhat sportsmanlike, but apparantely he was wrong. I think Petterson knows better now.
Bracing for an impact can cause more damage in many cases. I personally got lucky that I did not see the street car coming that t-boned me, my body was limp when hit and saved a lot more injury. It happens all the time. Bones get broken all the time when people are paying attention, so don't act like him being fully prepared would have saved injury on the hit.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:04 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Bracing for an impact can cause more damage in many cases. I personally got lucky that I did not see the street car coming that t-boned me, my body was limp when hit and saved a lot more injury. It happens all the time. Bones get broken all the time when people are paying attention, so don't act like him being fully prepared would have saved injury on the hit.
This. In a two vehicle accident involving a drunk driver, which one is more likely to survive?

Old
12-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Dado

vCash:
I'd forgotten Jenner was the guy who blindsided a player last tournament, and picked up a spearing suspension as well.

I could see them throwing the book at him....

Old
12-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Mr V

Jenner saw him clearly all the way, including when he got rid of the puck.
He skated a fairly long distance to hit him.
It is not finishing your check when you are no where near the opposition player when he dishes the puck.
Jenner deserves whatever he gets.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Maybe the reason people are doing it, is because it did ? If Petterson had been a legal target of the hit he would have been prepared and braced himself.

Now he was not, because he had the passed the puck. He appears to have had some sort of misplaced trust in that canadians could actually behave somewhat sportsmanlike, but apparantely he was wrong. I think Petterson knows better now.
That is mere speculation. You have no idea what Petterson was thinking and if he suddenly made himself more vulnerable the second and a half after he released the puck. The fact that the hit was a clear shoulder to shoulder hit that dislocated his shoulder is FACT.

Like the great Sherlock Holmes says: "Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Old
12-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
If the hit was "on time", Pettersson would have had less time to see him, lol. Result would have been the same, or worse. I find it hard to believe, since the hit was less than a second after he let go of the puck, that he was fully prepared for a hit in the first 0.5 seconds (while he was a "legal" target), but turned totally powerless in the 0.4X seconds that followed.

Last edited by DaveG: 12-25-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old
12-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Slimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
I coach down in the States, and, much like Hockey Canada, USA Hockey is talking to some great extent about "respect for the opponent." In other words, just because I can send this guy into next week, it doesn't mean I will or should. We keep stressing that the reason for checking is to seperate the player from the puck, etc. A little later in life, we start telling people that they need to finish their checks, for among other reasons, safety, as well as keep your head up and expect to get hit - don't dodge for example.

Now, please understand that I consider Jenner being a kid, so I sort of get why he is making a really bad choice, and if he truly had a chance to replay the situation, he might have made a much different decision. Either way, he is on the team to bring energy and be tough to play against. The performance in this tourney might impact his future NHL career. He is juiced to represent his nation. He enjoys being physical and bring the heat whenver he can. We can go on, but yes, I think we all get him. He made one ****** choice, and if nothing else, it cost another kid something he has worked his entire life for with similar hopes and dreams to Jenner.

So what's the problem? The hit was clean? Pettersson should pay attention? His history is spearing and hitting a kid with his head down, but also getting elbowed to the head.

It comes down to this: The conversation we keep having is HAVING RESPECT FOR OUR OPPONENTS. Just becasue somebody has his head down and you can lay him out, doesn't mean you should. As a matter of fact, it's especially then that you shouldn't.

Anybody who played hockey here knows that Jenner knows this will be a very late hit. That's not something he realizes the moment the puck comes off Pettersson's stick. He knows where he is when he sees Pettersson starting to pass the puck. He knows exactly what he is doing, and what will happen as Pettersson ISN'T paying attention, but hey, hitting someone feels great... "He has no idea that I'm coming!", "This will be AWESOME!", "I'VE GOT YOU NOW, SUCKER!", BOOM ... you all know the feeling.

That is also what we are working so hard to get rid of in hockey.

So, it's beyond frustrating to see some of you guys, and listen to some of the TSN suits, start out with, "It's a clean hit..." or "It doesn't deserve a long suspension..." or even "The IIHF will punish Canada extra hard just becasue..."

Nothing about his hit is okay. It violates the rulebook by being a late hit, no matter how the contact was made. It violates all concepts we are trying to establish for safety about not hurting somebody just beacuse that person is vulnerable, perhaps because he isn't paying attention. It is the second time Jenner is doing it in the IIHF because even though he wasn't late when checking Olli Maata, he still went after a guy who didn't see him when it really wasn't necessary. BECAUSE YOU CAN DOESN'T MAKE IT OKAY.

Those of you sitting at home, being kings of the keyboards can scream all you want about being tough and this and that. But the fact remains, the culture of hockey NEEDS to change. We cannot afford concussions and other injuries to star players and talented prospects because somebody could get to them in moment of vulnerability. Whatever old time hockey you adore, the players are bigger, stronger, and faster now, so the game has to change, and the sooner it happens, the better.

Again, Jenner is being an idiot, but he is a kid, so that's to be expected. The problem is all the people that defend him or justify his action as being a normal part of hockey, as that will make it that much harder for the rest of us to help develop the sport in a direction more suited for the atheltes we have and will have.

A message needs to be sent. Sorry kid. You're thoughtlessness cost Pettersson his gold dream, so now, you lost yours. Learn from this and go have a better game in the NHL. I wish the Pettersson kid a speedy recovery as well.
Well said.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I find it hard to believe, since the hit was less than a second after he let go of the puck, that he was fully prepared for a hit in the first 0.5 seconds (while he was a "legal" target), but turned totally powerless in the 0.4X seconds that followed.
Makes perfect sense. He's "primed" as the pass is released, he assimilates how far away the nearest contact is, and relaxes appropriately.

Then *boom* a late, unexpected hit.

Not saying that IS what happened, just saying it totally makes sense that it COULD have happened that way.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Makes perfect sense. He's "primed" as the pass is released, he assimilates how far away the nearest contact is, and relaxes appropriately.

Then *boom* a late, unexpected hit.

Not saying that IS what happened, just saying it totally makes sense that it COULD have happened that way.
No it really doesn't.. sorry.

Closed Thread