HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Team Canada to use artificial light to deal with the "24 hours of darkness" in Ufa

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Glory

vCash: 500
Well, talking about food. Team Sweden, is this what they will live on?

https://twitter.com/WKarlsson71/stat...196160/photo/1

Old
12-24-2012, 08:08 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Good lord that is embarrassing.
Agreed, silly stuff, then again, if they find some discipline, win Gold, it`ll be THE thing I point to as the reason why

Old
12-24-2012, 08:14 AM
cloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory View Post
Well, talking about food. Team Sweden, is this what they will live on?

https://twitter.com/WKarlsson71/stat...196160/photo/1
tehehe. well McD's actually isn't a bad thing to eat (preferably combined with fruit or vegetable) after extended physical activity...loaded with carbs and protein for recovery.

Old
12-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Well this is silly.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak View Post
tehehe. well McD's actually isn't a bad thing to eat (preferably combined with fruit or vegetable) after extended physical activity...loaded with carbs and protein for recovery.
?? overloaded with sodium trans and saturated fats, msg and preservatives that can put an animal out... ye not bad at all. Not to mention all the bad sugar in coke

Old
12-24-2012, 09:55 AM
cloak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
?? overloaded with sodium trans and saturated fats, msg and preservatives that can put an animal out... ye not bad at all. Not to mention all the bad sugar in coke
the saturated, trans, msg is negligible. sodium is prioritized in gatorade for recovery. i'm not talking about fast food as a lifestyle, but it's undeniable that it can do good things for a body following physical stress.

"healthy food" is more important as a primer.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:06 AM
c9gunner

I guess some people are just ignorant. I realize that ignorance is bliss, but even if these lamps help just a bit, they are still worth using.

"Experience the proven beneficial light wavelengths ......, which have helped tens of thousands of people in 50+ countries win their battle with problems ranging from fatigue and low mood to poor sleep and carbohydrate cravings...all with only 15-30 minutes of use per day"

Old
12-24-2012, 10:32 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Nugent-Hopkins is just pampered and extremely high maintence. He probably wouldn't even play for team canada if he didnt get his way.

Nuge is a real piece of crap, he's an embarrassment to his country and the sport of hockey.

Last edited by Hurt: 12-24-2012 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Editing quote
Old
12-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Acallabeth
Play fair, post fair

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
"Experience the proven beneficial light wavelengths ......, which have helped tens of thousands of people in 50+ countries win their battle with problems ranging from fatigue and low mood to poor sleep and carbohydrate cravings...all with only 15-30 minutes of use per day"
I see, how's your lamp-selling business going?
This week starts loaded with foreign Russians willing to educate everyone around

Old
12-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloak View Post
the saturated, trans, msg is negligible. sodium is prioritized in gatorade for recovery. i'm not talking about fast food as a lifestyle, but it's undeniable that it can do good things for a body following physical stress.

"healthy food" is more important as a primer.
Agreed. Plus, there's nothing unhealthy about saturated fats and sugar. The only unhealthy thing there are trans fats, but as far as I know McDonald's cut them out in their chains, as well, switching to a different kind of oil. Personally, I don't eat there, but there's nothing unhealthy about if you don't go to the extreme of only eating there, and incorporate it into your overall diet that's sensible. Like cloak said, add veggies and fruits, and you're golden.
Quote:
Haha, yeah, I'm sure they've proven how they helped with carbohydrate cravings I don't care much about whether they're using them or not, but it is funny and you can't really say otherwise. Plus, you'll never know whether they helped or not, because there's no control group, so all we'll be left with are memories, laughing about it for years to come. If they win, it won't be because of the lights, and if they lose, you also can't say the lights didn't help, because you don't know how they'd do without them.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:55 AM
canuck2010

You guys realize that these are tanning lamps to ensure a full and even tan for photo ops like the kind you have after a gold metal win.

Now before you all go crazy about another arrogant Canadian hockey fan it's a joke.

Think it should be a great tournament with Canada, Russia, Finland and the USA all having a shot at the gold.

Old
12-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Haha, yeah, I'm sure they've proven how they helped with carbohydrate cravings I don't care much about whether they're using them or not, but it is funny and you can't really say otherwise. Plus, you'll never know whether they helped or not, because there's no control group, so all we'll be left with are memories, laughing about it for years to come. If they win, it won't be because of the lights, and if they lose, you also can't say the lights didn't help, because you don't know how they'd do without them.
This. I am a little embarrassed, but it is pretty funny. If it helps great, if not it cost Hockey Canada a couple hundred bucks for funny lights.

I think next year we should try blasting some Bieber everywhere they go to boost their spirits and remind them of home.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:24 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
If it helps great, if not it cost Hockey Canada a couple hundred bucks for funny lights.
I second that. If it helps itís worth it. If it doesnít Ė not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
boost their spirits and remind them of home.
Exactly. High morale is like having an extra man on a team.

Old
12-24-2012, 12:43 PM
SensPromo
AKA "Inf4mous0ne"

vCash: 50
Quote:
I second that. If it helps it’s worth it. If it doesn’t – not a big deal.

Exactly. High morale is like having an extra man on a team.
And it's not like it's a crazy idea, NASA is providing similar things on their space shuttles now to help astronauts. Sure there may be 5-8 hours of sunlight (if it's not cloudy), but that's not optimal, so why not try and see if it works? People just like to patronize and criticize

Old
12-24-2012, 01:00 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensPromo View Post
And it's not like it's a crazy idea
Not at all. People used to laugh at teams bringing their own cooks and massage therapists. Nowadays is a common practice.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Not at all. People used to laugh at teams bringing their own cooks and massage therapists. Nowadays is a common practice.
Exactly. With the science that muscle renewal and nutrition has become, it's not ridiculous to have your own RMT and chef for the team.

12-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Dr Turk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post

....Am I blind or is it sunny outside? Why the hell are they using those when its a sunny day?

Old
12-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Where are the sunglasses? It's pretty hard to eat with all the brightness. They should also try some artificial discipline or artificial penalty kill to survive with the referees.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Spinkis

Maybe it's the lamps that makes them super aggressive and take stupid penalties, they have too much energy!

Old
12-24-2012, 02:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
When did Ryan Nugent-Hopkins become a criminal? Holy crap, Canada gets a player with NHL experience, #1 overall pick no less, and it's like the plague has descended Team Canada. Any other country would kill to get a guy like this on their team.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
When did Ryan Nugent-Hopkins become a criminal? Holy crap, Canada gets a player with NHL experience, #1 overall pick no less, and it's like the plague has descended Team Canada. Any other country would kill to get a guy like this on their team.
It's only a select few thickheaded Canadian fans. Its ridiculous really.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Philly85
Moody'

yeah it may seem kind of goofy, but honestly - Steve Spott's kind of dumb comment aside - it's not a bad idea at all.

I use one of those lights at my house (it's a slightly bigger, blue one though) and have it on for 15 minutes every morning while I eat breakfast and sometimes in the evening too. I was recommended to use this by both my family doctor and my psychologist (been battling depression, particularly seasonal depression for many years now). In the past two years I've been using it I can honestly say it's been a help ontop of everything else of course.

I live in Edmonton and from about November to February it get's dark quite early. We do get lots of sun and it's great during the days but the "problem" is in the mornings and very early evenings. It can wear on you a bit.

If Team Canada thinks this will help them adjust/recover, it's no joke after all, then good on them.

Old
12-24-2012, 07:32 PM
fredligh

Maybe Jenner got to much of this artificial light.

Old
12-24-2012, 07:57 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domhnall Dubh View Post
On December 26th, Ufa will get 7 hours and 15 minutes of daylight. Edmonton, for comparison, will get 7 hours and 29 minutes. What the **** is Hockey Canada going on about?
Spott apparently hasn't ever used google maps. However, living in Edmonton I can say that I would definitely go for a tanning bed right about now. 7 hours of sunlight is ridiculous. I'm moving to California.

Old
12-25-2012, 12:49 AM
tmlms13

vCash: 50
If the US did this it might actually make a tiny bit of sense. But Canada, jfc, Mark McNeill plays in Prince Albert ffs

Closed Thread