HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Tracking the Locked Out Jets

Old
12-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Tintin's Ghost

vCash: 500
No one actually links the Vegas pics to behaviour that results in a personnel move but the Lawless article and the one above both use it to suggest that it will have a causal effect. That Kane is too big for Winnipeg. I disagree. I think Winnipeg was meant to house a few superstars in the barn. Kane being one of them. Smallest city in the league that makes the biggest noise and insane fan base. The Jets are like the Green Bay Packers of the NHL. That vibe is bigger than any one douchey attitude of one guy. I say keep our superstars.

Kaner needs a reality TV show. Even if it's just in the off season. "Kane and the Kardashians" TNSE can produce it and sell it. May as well profit from all the gossip about him and beat the WFP to the punch.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:06 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey-brent View Post
Sorry, it was mentioned a few times up above...

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/...-picture-money

Here's another nasty one questioning whether Winnipeg has a race issue with Kane...

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2012/...witter-picture
Broad brush strokes are awesome - a couple people make misguided statements, and it gets attributed to a whole city. Fun with generalization.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:16 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Broad brush strokes are awesome - a couple people make misguided statements, and it gets attributed to a whole city. Fun with generalization.
I was surprised how many media members agreed with or supported the race issue piece. Nobody believes that it is the whole story, but many believe it could be part of the story.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:17 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1350
I find it interesting that everyone is on Lawless' back but hardly anyone here is questioning Pat Doyle/Patti Dawn Swansson's claims that "fans just don't like him" and that it isn't going to work out for Kane in Winnipeg.

How would she know? Doyle/Swansson doesn't live here and hasn't for at least twenty years AFAIK, she lives in Toronto, so how is Doyle/Swansson positioned to gauge or determine how the fans here feel about Kane, and how things will play out with the organization here? Answer; she isn't. That article is in fact either equal to, or exceeds, any troll job that Lawless has ever been accused of. At least Lawless actually has boots on the ground and an interaction with all parties from which to base his own theories - no matter how wild those theories may prove at times. Swanson comparatively offers nothing other than baseless assertions.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 12-24-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:19 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I was surprised how many media members agreed with or supported the race issue piece. Nobody believes that it is the whole story, but many believe it could be part of the story.
Link? I'm curious which media members agreed with that piece.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:26 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
I find it interesting that everyone is on Lawless' back but no one is questioning Pat Doyle/Patti Dawn Swansson's claims that "fans just don't like him" and that it isn't going to work out for Kane in Winnipeg.

How would she know? Doyle/Swansson doesn't live here and hasn't for at least twenty years AFAIK, she lives in Toronto, so how is Doyle/Swansson positioned to gauge or determine how the fans here feel about Kane, and how things will play out with the organization here? Answer; she isn't. That article is equal to any troll job that Lawless has ever been accused of in fact. At least Lawless actually has boots on the ground and an interaction with all parties from which to base his own theories - no matter how wild those theories may prove at times.
Thousands of people trashing Kane on Twitter, in comments under articles and on Freep polls is a pretty good indication.

No, it isn't everybody but the perception that Kane isn't liked here clearly exists. Plenty of people from other markets have been wondering why.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Thousands of people trashing Kane on Twitter, in comments under articles and on Freep polls is a pretty good indication.

No, it isn't everybody but the perception that Kane isn't liked here clearly exists. Plenty of people from other markets have been wondering why.
You don't have to be from Winnipeg to post on those web sites, so it's not really a good indication, unless you research all the posters locations.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:31 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

Quote:

People with a particular axe to grind are ALWAYS over-represented in expressions of opinion. Does this mean that there isn't a segment of the population that has an issue with race? Of course not: there are misguided people everywhere. Is this an over stating of the number of people that share that ignorant viewpoint? Probably.

Sad state of affairs.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:

Not all of those people are from Winnipeg however, nor do any those twitter posts (those that actually do originate from Winnipeg) necessarily represent either the opinion of Jets fans on the whole or of how the organization will deal with him going forward.

The public opinion of Kane in Winnipeg is not determined nor defined by a few twitter posts, nor is his future here.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 131
Quote:
Not all of those people are from Winnipeg however, nor do any those twitter posts (those that actually do originate from Winnipeg) necessarily represent either the opinion of Jets fans on the whole, nor of how the organization will deal with him going forward.

The public opinion of Kane in Winnipeg is not determined nor defined by a few twitter posts, nor is his future here.
No kidding. The author does realize that Kane's twitter account is open to comments from the whole world and just not winnipeg....right?!!?

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
No kidding. The author does realize that Kane's twitter account is open to comments from the whole world and just not winnipeg....right?!!?
Blogger. Don't disrespect authors like that

Old
12-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

So, Lawless is accused on one hand of making stuff up in Winnipeg when he has daily interaction with both the players and the club, but at the same time on the other hand we have an article penned by a writer from Toronto that claims to gauge both how the fans feel about Kane in Winnipeg and how his future will play out... and this is based upon her read of twitter posts?

Bizarro world.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 12-24-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Blogger. Don't disrespect authors like that
Lol. Sorry was just using a generalization.

hmmm just saw a definition of blogger on the Urban dictionary:

"Term used to describe anyone with enough time or narcissism to document every tedious bit of minutia filling their uneventful lives."

Sorry sorry Bloggers....I just had too. There are actually some good bloggers out there

Old
12-24-2012, 01:55 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Link? I'm curious which media members agreed with that piece.
I don't have any links handy. You will have to weed through the AIH Twitter mentions. A number of media members (from Winnipeg and elsewhere) agreed with and / or supported Trevor bringing this up. Of course others disagreed, but it was clearly on the minds of many.

This was another interesting piece on Kane situation.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...h-evander-kane

Old
12-24-2012, 02:01 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
So, Lawless is accused on one hand of making stuff up in Winnipeg when he has daily interaction with both the players and the club, but at the same time on the other hand we have an article penned by a writer from Toronto that claims to gauge both how the fans feel about Kane in Winnipeg and how his future will play out... and this is based upon her read of twitter posts?

Bizarro world.
Denying Kane as a polarising figure is bizarre IMO. The discussion a few pages back in this very post centered around how awful he was. He is not a well liked Jet and A LOT of people have suggested he be traded. Denying that is silly.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:05 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
Denying Kane as a polarising figure is bizarre IMO. The discussion a few pages back in this very post centered around how awful he was. He is not a well liked Jet and A LOT of people have suggested he be traded. Denying that is silly.
I didn't deny he was a polarizing figure for some, so am unsure of your point as such. What I said was that overall public opinion of him here isn't determined by a few twitter posts, especially when many of those don't originate from Winnipeg and that others are authored anonymously. Incorrectly paraphrasing what I said does qualify as silly however.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:08 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Not all of those people are from Winnipeg however, nor do any those twitter posts (those that actually do originate from Winnipeg) necessarily represent either the opinion of Jets fans on the whole or of how the organization will deal with him going forward.

The only person that claimed a Twitter post would determine his future here was Gary Lawless.

The restaurant crap started here. The night club crap started here. Multiple Kane is a DB articles from Gary Lawless started here and I have heard people make blatantly racist remarks about Kane here.

I don't really see how it is a stretch to suggest that may be off putting to Kane.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:
The only person that claimed a Twitter post would determine his future here was Gary Lawless.

The restaurant crap started here. The night club crap started here. Multiple Kane is a DB articles from Gary Lawless started here and I have heard people make blatantly racist remarks about Kane here.

I don't really see how it is a stretch to suggest that may be off putting to Kane.
None of that explains how Doyle/Swansson is somehow positioned to determine from Toronto how Winnipeg feels about Kane, nor how his future will play out here. That was kind of the point. I didn't first bring twitter into the conversation; that was you.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
I would have no issues with getting back good value for him in a trade. I'm only one individual and don't speak for the entire fan base. I'm sure others feel differently than I do.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:18 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

Quote:

How many people? 3? 30? 3000? 30,000? How much credence do you lend to an unknown percentage of people that express that opinion? What about the silent majority, or those who are tired of defending individuals who are slighted due to the fact that it never ends, and makes no difference?

Old
12-24-2012, 02:23 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
I didn't deny he was a polarizing figure for some, so am unsure of your point as such. What I said was that overall public opinion of him here isn't determined by a few twitter posts, especially when many of those don't originate from Winnipeg and that others are authored anonymously. Incorrectly paraphrasing what I said does qualify as silly however.
So does incorrectly paraphrasing an article I suppose. Neither article was intended to typecast all Winnipeggers.

Trevor (and many others) believe everything Kane does is made a bigger issue because of his colour and culture.

Patti and many others believe that the media and some stupid fans will drive Kane out of Winnipeg.

Neither take leaves them on an island and neither take is really a reach.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:24 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Glass Half Full

Quote:
So does incorrectly paraphrasing an article I suppose. Neither article was intended to typecast all Winnipeggers.

Trevor (and many others) believe everything Kane does is made a bigger issue because of his colour and culture.

Patti and many others believe that the media and some stupid fans will drive Kane out of Winnipeg.

Self fulfilling prophecy by lending credence to the same people they're attempting to discredit, IMHO.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

Quote:

The entire premise of the article is based upon that "fans just don't like him", that the fans will drive him out of town, so I'm unsure of how you or anyone else could claim otherwise. Please explain how I got that wrong? Seems an indefensible position in fact given that the author is based in Toronto and basically has zero access to either the player or the club. None is claimed in the article.

Lawless' output in comparison is golden versus those essentially baseless claims.

I could claim in print that YWGinYYZ is an alien based upon other rumors I've heard, but that doesn't mean my claim is based upon reality.

No offense to YWGinYYZ is intended, either; is my favorite poster here in fact.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 12-24-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Ziggy66

Quote:

Meh. I cant take any substance in the claim. Look at Buffs BUI charge. Sure people were upset and he trended in the local media for quite a while but that has nothing to do with colour and everything to do with his actions. Just like Kane's actions. I dont really care about the photo but I do not see this as a colour and culture issue.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:34 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
None of that explains how Doyle/Swansson is somehow positioned to determine from Toronto how Winnipeg feels about Kane, nor how his future will play out here. That was kind of the point. I didn't first bring twitter into the conversation; that was you.
How about we drop the Doyle thing. A name change is a name change and it is really disrespectful for you to keep playing that card.

I am not sure why geography is an issue here. Many people from all over NA have been asking what the heck is going on with Kane in Winnipeg.

Lots of his "issues" have made national news. Kane's reactions to the "issues" have been published nationally too. Figuring that he might get tired of the negative press isn't geographically specific.