HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

World Jrs.: USA Wins Gold Medal (USA 3 Sweden 1)

Old
12-23-2012, 12:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 500
Doesn't seem like Ghost is one of those on the chopping block. Unless something crazy happens, we'll actually have someone to watch this year.

Not that it means everything, but Skjei is a 1st round pick Ghost beat out, and seemingly comfortably so.

I saw most of the exhibition game between USA and Finland, and I liked what I saw from some of the Finns. Including going back to their 90's style uniforms

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 02:10 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Any highlights available from the USA-SWE game?

TSN has 11min of highlights from the CAN-FIN game and 1min of the USA-SWE game, half of it is about the interview Seth Jones gave.
Perhaps you should watch the coverage from your own country who surely are going to show highlights from its team. I can't believe people complain that TSN, a Canadian network, is showing coverage of Team Canada, what is this world coming to?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 02:13 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Doesn't seem like Ghost is one of those on the chopping block. Unless something crazy happens, we'll actually have someone to watch this year.

Not that it means everything, but Skjei is a 1st round pick Ghost beat out, and seemingly comfortably so.

I saw most of the exhibition game between USA and Finland, and I liked what I saw from some of the Finns. Including going back to their 90's style uniforms
Really no suprise to anyone that Skjei was cut. But I'm still a little nervous about Ghost. He could definitely be the one getting sent home if Murphy's healthy, especially with all the offensive d-men this team has.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 10:34 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Really no suprise to anyone that Skjei was cut. But I'm still a little nervous about Ghost. He could definitely be the one getting sent home if Murphy's healthy, especially with all the offensive d-men this team has.
Well, I don't think Sieloff played that much, so I'm hoping he's the one that gets cut. To me, the locks to make the team would be Jones, Trouba, Murphy and McCabe, at least based on these two preliminary games. Grzelcyk impressed me in the first game, but in the second one not so much. He got better as the game progressed, but had some shaky moments early on. Reilly and Ghostisbehere have both had their ups and downs, and none of them are too reliable defensively. I think Reilly is better on the defensive end, nonetheless, but Ghostisbehere beats him out in the offensive department and breakouts. Hopefully they see him as someone that can be used on the powerplay and the third pairing. But it'd definitely be awesome to once again have a Flyers' prospect playing in the tournament.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:35 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, I don't think Sieloff played that much, so I'm hoping he's the one that gets cut. To me, the locks to make the team would be Jones, Trouba, Murphy and McCabe, at least based on these two preliminary games. Grzelcyk impressed me in the first game, but in the second one not so much. He got better as the game progressed, but had some shaky moments early on. Reilly and Ghostisbehere have both had their ups and downs, and none of them are too reliable defensively. I think Reilly is better on the defensive end, nonetheless, but Ghostisbehere beats him out in the offensive department and breakouts. Hopefully they see him as someone that can be used on the powerplay and the third pairing. But it'd definitely be awesome to once again have a Flyers' prospect playing in the tournament.
I kinda feel like you mixed up the names placement. Not that Im an expert but most have agreed that Reilly's defensive play is the worse on the team. He honestly doesnt play defense. That being said, he is dynamic offensively. Ghost is similar to Grz in regards to having both offensive ability and some defensive ability. I didnt get to see half the 2nd game, but most said that during the first game he played a great game, especially defensively. He was able to keep up skating wise with players like Karlsson.

Im by no means experts but the general consensus from those on the boards/Chris Peters is that Reilly has been horrendous defensively but better offensively than Ghost.

Also if Murphy is not hurt and he stays, I can bet they keep the McCabe-Murphy pairing together for shutdown abilities alone. I truely think Reilly will be gone. Both games he was easily the teams worse defender.

Im expecting them to go with:

Jones-Grzelcyk
Trouba-Gostisbehere
McCabe-Murphy

Last edited by sa cyred: 12-24-2012 at 12:41 AM.
sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:26 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Perhaps you should watch the coverage from your own country who surely are going to show highlights from its team. I can't believe people complain that TSN, a Canadian network, is showing coverage of Team Canada, what is this world coming to?
Wow, hit a spot or something?

They don't have to make the Canada-Highlights shorter. Just show more from the other teams also. Most people watch it to see the young prospect, not the young canadian prospect.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 08:46 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
Wow, hit a spot or something?

They don't have to make the Canada-Highlights shorter. Just show more from the other teams also. Most people watch it to see the young prospect, not the young canadian prospect.
You rolled your eyes so you got the above response. And you're wrong, most people only want to watch Canada, prospects don't matter much to anyone here in this tourney. Most of the players at this tourney won't see the NHL. This tourney to Canadians is all about Team Canada.

Old
12-24-2012, 09:14 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
You rolled your eyes so you got the above response. And you're wrong, most people only want to watch Canada, prospects don't matter much to anyone here in this tourney. Most of the players at this tourney won't see the NHL. This tourney to Canadians is all about Team Canada.
Ok.
I sincerely regret putting a smily in there which roles it's eyes.
I am deeply sorry I've hurt you and your countries honor while criticising a sports network's decision to show only thirty seconds of highlights from a hockey game. If there is anything I can do to make this right, please let me know.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I kinda feel like you mixed up the names placement. Not that Im an expert but most have agreed that Reilly's defensive play is the worse on the team. He honestly doesnt play defense. That being said, he is dynamic offensively. Ghost is similar to Grz in regards to having both offensive ability and some defensive ability. I didnt get to see half the 2nd game, but most said that during the first game he played a great game, especially defensively. He was able to keep up skating wise with players like Karlsson.

Im by no means experts but the general consensus from those on the boards/Chris Peters is that Reilly has been horrendous defensively but better offensively than Ghost.

Also if Murphy is not hurt and he stays, I can bet they keep the McCabe-Murphy pairing together for shutdown abilities alone. I truely think Reilly will be gone. Both games he was easily the teams worse defender.

Im expecting them to go with:

Jones-Grzelcyk
Trouba-Gostisbehere
McCabe-Murphy
You might be right. I haven't seen any of the players before, so it wasn't as natural connecting numbers on their backs to their names. As I was paying closer attention to him, I still stand by what I said about Ghostisbehere (and the four locks), i.e. that he was disappointing defensively. My impression was that players could get past him when they really wanted. But maybe I got the wrong impression, it's hard to say sometimes, as you remember certain things and not others, thinking you have a complete picture, but you don't. I know Karlsson did escape him at least once, and got to the front of the net before Ghostisbehere did, and he then had to take a hooking or slashing penalty to prevent a good scoring chance. Also, maybe I shouldn't have said anything about Reilly, since I don't remember much about him, Sieloff or Skjei, but I wanted to throw him in for completeness's sake. I know he is being highly touted in terms of his offense, though, and I then later saw most on the boards are criticizing him for his defense, as well.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Krishna

Follow

Gord MillerVerified
‏@GMillerTSN
BREAKING: Canada's Boone Jenner suspended three games by the IIHF after 5min charging penalty in WJ pre-tournament game vs Sweden. #2013WJC

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:15 PM
RussianRocket10

Did USA cut their last defenseman yet?

RussianRocket10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:25 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Not yet I think they said they'd do it tomorrow.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 03:26 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
Nope, they can really drag this out too.

Quote:
According to IIHF Bylaw 802.2, the United States only needs to register 15 skaters and two goalies by Dec. 25. After that deadline is met, a team can roster additional players each game, until reaching the maximum of 20 skaters and three goalies, which includes one emergency backup goalie.

Once a player has seen action in the tournament, he is permanently on the roster and cannot be removed.

So, the United States could actually roster anywhere from 15 to 19 skaters, and two goalies for its Dec. 27 opener against Germany while reserving its decision on the final roster spot.

The United States would most certainly have at least 12 forwards, six defenders and two goalies in the lineup for the first game.
Link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=12404

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:12 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Not yet I think they said they'd do it tomorrow.
what a great Christmas present

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:30 AM
MsWoof

Malcolm Subban has been announced as the starter for Canada. I bet he's on a short leash because he hasn't been very sharp.

Old
12-25-2012, 01:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Ghost made the roster

Old
12-25-2012, 02:13 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

Quote:
Ghost made the roster
Who was the final cut?

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:43 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Ghost made the roster
source?

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
source?
Main board. The offical wjc usa website also had it.

Edit: here it is http://www.worldjunior2013.com/en/ch...d-states/#list

Last edited by sa cyred: 12-25-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old
12-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Ryker

Quote:
The offical wjc usa website also had it
They don't, actually. It's still the preliminary roster with all eight defensemen that's up (http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/). On the other hand, the official WJC website has only six defensemen, Ghostisbehere being one of them (http://www.worldjunior2013.com/en/ch...d-states/#list). So my guess is he did make the team

Old
12-25-2012, 08:09 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
They don't, actually. It's still the preliminary roster with all eight defensemen that's up (http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/). On the other hand, the official WJC website has only six defensemen, Ghostisbehere being one of them (http://www.worldjunior2013.com/en/ch...d-states/#list). So my guess is he did make the team
*Gostisbehere

Murphy's off the roster too.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
*Gostisbehere
Hah, damn, thanks for correcting me, I'll know from now on