HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Re-alignment of divisions.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-10-2003, 05:23 AM
  #1
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Re-alignment of divisions.

Without changin things drastically, and keeping the 6 division line-up , I propose a few changes.

Northeast, Pacific, and Northwest divisions remain as is.

The changes would be

Central

Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Columbus
Pittsburgh

Southeast

Tampa
Florida
Atlanta
Carolina
Nashville

Atlantic

New York
New York
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Washington


Pro's:

Create a Pittsburgh/Columbus rivalry.
Washington would welcome being back with it's old Patrick Division rivals.
Washington would have much less travel.
Nashville gets a chance to build rivalries with Carolina & Atlanta.
Creates a true Southeast division.


Con's:

Pitsburgh would likely be the only team of the three to fight the move, increased travel, and they lose the Flyers as a drawing card, and the New York teams as well.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 06:02 AM
  #2
dragonwyck
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Not a bad plan. Personally, I'd rather have Nashville in the division than Pittsburgh because it's a 4 hour drive for St. Louis.

That said, if they do realign, they should go the drastic route and go back to the way it was in the early 90's... 4 divisions with meaningful division names with the 1st two rounds of the playoffs going back to divisional playoffs. Granted the divisions wouldn't be balanced, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

 
Old
12-10-2003, 06:31 AM
  #3
Guest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
An idea I've had is to somewhat scrap the divisions as we know them now, and make it more like a division based on every team and what draws for them and rivalries, travel, etc.

It makes little sense for Pit & Phi to be in different divisions, they are in the same state. But for example, you could say that there are 5 teams in the division with the Pens where they would play them the 6 games a season as a division opponent does. Make it CBJ, WAS, PHI, NYR, NYI for instance, choose who you want...Then maybe say for DET they would play CHI, STL, TOR, BUF, MTL 6 games a season. So on and so forth. Make your own picks on the teams they would play like a division rival, I don't care.

The twist is that in the case with the teams listed in DET's group, they wouldn't all play each other 6 games a season like a division matchup, they would have their own grouping to emphasize the best arrangement.

The Coyotes group would be LA, SJ, ANA, DAL, COL for proximity. Nearly the same as it is anyway. LA's might be SJ, ANA, DAL, COL, PHO as well because of all the teams in that area.

Hopefully someone understands this.

Guest is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 06:49 AM
  #4
davemess
Registered User
 
davemess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Pro's:
Create a Pittsburgh/Columbus rivalry.

Con's:
Pitsburgh would likely be the only team of the three to fight the move, increased travel, and they lose the Flyers as a drawing card, and the New York teams as well.
Penguins lose their 3 biggest rivals Flyers, Rangers and Caps in a trade for Columbus? Not even CP would make that trade

davemess is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 07:11 AM
  #5
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Washington would welcome being back with it's old Patrick Division rivals.
Heh I don't know about that...maybe they prefer playing Carolina, Florida and Atlanta 6 times a year rather than only 4.

colonel_korn is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 08:10 AM
  #6
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
Heh I don't know about that...maybe they prefer playing Carolina, Florida and Atlanta 6 times a year rather than only 4.
Washington sells tickets better when they play the old Patrick division teams then they do when they play teams from the Southeast and I think that would be a huge plus when for Teddy going to the Atlantic.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 08:13 AM
  #7
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
Penguins lose their 3 biggest rivals Flyers, Rangers and Caps in a trade for Columbus? Not even CP would make that trade

Agreed, that of the 3 teams moving around, the Penguins get the short-end of the stick.

You'll never make everyone happy when you re-align. My thought process was the greater good was more important than the Pens wishes.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 08:35 AM
  #8
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 4,852
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
its not like they will be around much longer anyways. Might as well more them into the Pacific so they can get used to playing the teams out there.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 10:33 AM
  #9
garry1221
Registered User
 
garry1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Walled Lake, Mi
Posts: 2,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
An idea I've had is to somewhat scrap the divisions as we know them now, and make it more like a division based on every team and what draws for them and rivalries, travel, etc.

It makes little sense for Pit & Phi to be in different divisions, they are in the same state. But for example, you could say that there are 5 teams in the division with the Pens where they would play them the 6 games a season as a division opponent does. Make it CBJ, WAS, PHI, NYR, NYI for instance, choose who you want...Then maybe say for DET they would play CHI, STL, TOR, BUF, MTL 6 games a season. So on and so forth. Make your own picks on the teams they would play like a division rival, I don't care.

The twist is that in the case with the teams listed in DET's group, they wouldn't all play each other 6 games a season like a division matchup, they would have their own grouping to emphasize the best arrangement.

The Coyotes group would be LA, SJ, ANA, DAL, COL for proximity. Nearly the same as it is anyway. LA's might be SJ, ANA, DAL, COL, PHO as well because of all the teams in that area.

Hopefully someone understands this.
kinda get where you're coming from... granted it's hard to do, w/ 30 teams... someone suggested getting back to 4 divisions ... also tricky to do... but trying to get the teams evened out, all i could come up w/ was 14/16 split west/east

NW:Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose, Minn, Colorado, Chicago

SW: LA, Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus, STL.

NE: Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, NYR, NYI, Buffalo, Boston

SE: Pittsburgh, Philly, Wash., NJ, Carolina, Atlanta, Florida, TB

as far as the breaks ups go Chicago is a stretch for the NW but it's also a stretch going the other way and as it goes now the NE gets back to more of the orig. 6 same thing goes w/ nash. along w/ chi.... it's a stretch one way or another, those r the only two teams that r in the middle w/ no easy way out... had to add SJ to the NW to balance out

garry1221 is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 10:52 AM
  #10
PigPen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 1,831
vCash: 500
I kind of like John Flyers fan's original idea.

Detroit, Columbus and Chicago are all pretty close to Pittsburgh so it's not as if they wouldn't be getting any gate attendance by any fans who want to drive a few hours to see their favorite team play.

Washington would gain a lot more attendance from fans of the NYR and flyers who could see their old rival once again. If only for 8 games a year, those additional 3000 or more seats would help.

Nashville finds itself in a division that could become the best division in the NHL in a few years, and fit right in. Just about every team in that division gets a little more attendance throughout the year since Nashville is a little closer to Raleigh, Atlanta and Tampa Bay than it is Chicago, Columbus, and Detroit.

PigPen is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 11:14 AM
  #11
tmg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry1221
NW:Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, San Jose, Minn, Colorado, Chicago

SW: LA, Anaheim, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, Columbus, STL.

NE: Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, NYR, NYI, Buffalo, Boston

SE: Pittsburgh, Philly, Wash., NJ, Carolina, Atlanta, Florida, TB

While we're at it, why not just go with four lateral 7/8-team layers? There really are more east-west rivalries than north-south rivalries anyways.

South Conference:
Way-South Division:
Fla TB Atl Dal LA Ana Phx SJ

South Division:
Was NJ NYR NYI Phi Pit Car

North Conference:
North Division:
Bos Buf Clb Det Chi Stl Min Nas

Way-North Division:
Mon Ott Tor Edm Cal Van Col


(Note: the above is thoroughly tongue-in-cheek and is being proposed more for amusement value than actual viable alignment. You don't need to tell me that San Jose is actually further north than Carolina.)

tmg is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 11:24 AM
  #12
topshelf331
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Stl
Country: United States
Posts: 2,198
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHard
Bring back the old division & conference names!
I agree whales and campbell conference.

Id love to see the old norris division thrown back together.

I would move detroit or columbus east before nashville. And on a map minnesota should be in the central. But because there are no other teams farther west they have to stay in the NW.

I say move pittsburgh(Barring any cba action that could help them compete, because it would suck to be a fan and lose your team)to seattle, portland, or winnepeg. And move columbus to the eastern conference. And put the wild in the central.

topshelf331 is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 11:46 AM
  #13
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,937
vCash: 500
I'd love to see St. Louis Nashville Atlanta and Carolina all in the same division. I'd be able to do a few road trips a year that way.

triggrman is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 12:46 PM
  #14
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Fangorn
Country: United States
Posts: 25,397
vCash: 500
Those are not a bad bunch of suggestions. I still like the idea of a Northern Conference vs. Southern Conference though. Talk about your rivalries.



A month or so ago there was a thread about this and I posted a full conference realignment listing, but it's buried now / I don' thave time to go dig it up....

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 01:23 PM
  #15
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,031
vCash: 500
i love that idea to move nashville to the southeast, really. i know that the one game a year we have with atlanta is considered a bitof a rivalry, and we could develop rivalries with some of those teams as well, being close geographically...relatively young...and all in similar stages of development.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 03:00 PM
  #16
Radulov for Czar*
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,419
vCash: 500
I'd love it if the Preds moved to the Southwest..

Radulov for Czar* is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 03:11 PM
  #17
dragonwyck
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Western Conference
Pacific Division
Anaheim
Colorado
Dallas
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Central Division
Atlanta
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Nashville
Pittsburgh
St. Louis

Eastern Conference
Northern Division
Buffalo
Calgary
Edmonton
Minnesota
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Boston

Atlantic Division
Florida
Carolina
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Washington
Tampa Bay

 
Old
12-10-2003, 05:59 PM
  #18
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
Western Conference
Pacific Division
Anaheim
Colorado
Dallas
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Central Division
Atlanta
Chicago
Columbus
Detroit
Nashville
Pittsburgh
St. Louis

Eastern Conference
Northern Division
Buffalo
Calgary
Edmonton
Minnesota
Montreal
Ottawa
Toronto
Boston

Atlantic Division
Florida
Carolina
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Philadelphia
Washington
Tampa Bay
LOL @ the travel costs for everyone in Calgary and Edmonton's division....try again. And let's put Minnesota in the East so we can have one boring trap team in each division to slow the game more!

Afino is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 06:05 PM
  #19
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Con's:

Pitsburgh would likely be the only team of the three to fight the move, increased travel, and they lose the Flyers as a drawing card, and the New York teams as well.
I like your ideas and I agree with them all. Since this is just fantasy anyway, I'll toss this out as a general question:

Would the Pens be opposed to it if the league gave them financial consideration? The Pens would fight it because of the gate hit they'd take.

More realistic, the league can easily schedule Philly and the NY teams in more games than any other out of division but in conference team for the next few years, ala the Arizona Cardinals/Dallas Cowboys scheduling after the 32 team re-alignment.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
12-10-2003, 06:13 PM
  #20
dragonwyck
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
LOL @ the travel costs for everyone in Calgary and Edmonton's division....try again.


God forbid some of the Eastern Conference teams actually have to travel a long distance occasionally. Even with the extra miles, their total travel time for the season would still be less than every WC team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afinogenov61
And let's put Minnesota in the East so we can have one boring trap team in each division to slow the game more!
Irrelevent.

 
Old
12-10-2003, 06:16 PM
  #21
dragonwyck
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
More realistic, the league can easily schedule Philly and the NY teams in more games than any other out of division but in conference team for the next few years, ala the Arizona Cardinals/Dallas Cowboys scheduling after the 32 team re-alignment.
The Cowboys and Cards didn't get extra games vs each other. To make Bidwell happy the league agreed to make it to where the NFC West played the NFC East the first year of the realignment.

 
Old
12-10-2003, 06:22 PM
  #22
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck
The Cowboys and Cards didn't get extra games vs each other. To make Bidwell happy the league agreed to make it to where the NFC West played the NFC East the first year of the realignment.
That's what I was alluding to. (Note the "ala") They were scheduled a home game vs Dallas so they could draw some fans. Same can be done for the Pens, only doubled because it's an 82 game schedule. More fans will come for the Flyers than say, the Panthers.

Dr Love is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.