HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Boone Jenner Suspended 3 Games For Hit on Pettersson (MOD WARNING #422)

Old
12-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Here is Hockey Canada's own interference explanation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq8qEq7_9rM

The player finishing the check must be within an arm length, + stick length distance while the player being checked has control of the puck.

How many stick lengths is this?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:03 PM
JackSlater

Three games isn't that bad for the IIHF. It was clearly a dirty play, as it was late, but I also do not think it was particularly dangerous. In the vast majority of cases, the player would not be injured at all. If he popped back up, which wouldn't be all that unreasonable to expect, Jenner gets a penalty and no suspension. Suspending someone because of an unlikely injury is moronic, but I can at least understand that they want to send a message to someone who already has a record.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:04 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Even calling that a spear is a reach. and it was more than well deserved.

Isangulov got 1 game for a high elbow to the head...
Oh man. So now if you deserve to be speared it's okay? Rules are rules. That's why there's rules for retaliation, and why you don't retaliate if you think the other guy is getting penalized.

And a late hit is inexorably dirty. That's the rules. By definition. Sure, if the hit was earlier it may not have been dirty. Of course, if Isangulov had kept his elbow down, it would have been clean, too.

That's the thing. You can't just change the rules. Jenner has been suspended before. You may disagree with that suspension but it happened, and that affects all later decisions. It sucks for Canada.

Regarding Howson: I will not accuse a GM of intentionally lying, but if you think that emotions and loyalty don't shade someone's judgment then you are living in a reality separate from the one everyone els is in.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:04 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Reckless play in an exhibition game. He deserved what he got.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:05 PM
bruinsfan46

Two or three seemed fair to me. It was dirty because it was so late.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Thought 2 was fine, 3 is tad much but some history there too... so I won't complain. It was a late hit.

Buckets and Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Dirty hit and deserved what he got.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Regarding Howson: I will not accuse a GM of intentionally lying, but if you think that emotions and loyalty don't shade someone's judgment then you are living in a reality separate from the one everyone els is in.
I think an NHL GM's account of the situation will be the least biased one available. Even less biased than the IIHF officials who want to see hitting removed from the game so that they can protect fragile players.

I'm just going to say that I'm glad that he hits like that and hope he, and others like him, keep it up as long as it isn't to the head or neck.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
I think an NHL GM's account of the situation will be the least biased one available. Even less biased than the IIHF officials who want to see hitting removed from the game so that they can protect fragile players.
I think an NHL GM whose team owns the rights of said player and who drafted said player will be the most biased one available.

Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I used it as an example because you can easily see the difference in a not late hit versus a very late hit and the video is available in this thread. I can skate half the length of the ice in a few seconds. If a player can release the puck and allow me, a beer league skater to cross half the ice to hit him, then I don't think interference should even be a penalty.
No you can't skate half the ice in 3 seconds, pros don't do half the ice in 3 seconds, but thats not the point of this thread.

It was less than half second late, there should be no supplemental handed out, he got the game and thats enough.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I think an NHL GM whose team owns the rights of said player and who drafted said player will be the most biased one available.
No, that would be the player and the coaches involved. Also fans. Then you have tournament officials who have an agenda or want to back up their refs.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:10 PM
canucksfan

Quote:

I'll stop just by saying that I'm glad that he hits like that and hope he, and others like him, keep it up as long as it isn't to the head or neck.
Columbus owns his rights, of course they are going to defend him. They are clearly bias.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:11 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
He barely tapped him withhis blade after he was injured and the player came by and chirped him about it. You want ot be an ass-hat, expect a reaction. I have no issue with the love tape he gave to tell the guy to top being an *******.
That was not a "barely tapped". The ref was right there. Oh and it was a North American (probably Canadian) referee calling the penalty on a Canadian player against a Russian player. So don't say that this would have been handled differently. The announcers don't even disagree with the call.

Old
moko00

So if a player trips a guy going down the wing and he falls into the boards hard and dislocates a shoulder and breaks his wrist is that a 3 games suspension also? A penalty resulting in a major injury.

moko00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
canucksfan

Quote:
No you can't skate half the ice in 3 seconds, pros don't do half the ice in 3 seconds, but thats not the point of this thread.

It was less than half second late, there should be no supplemental handed out, he got the game and thats enough.
Bob Mackenzie said it was around one second late. You are incorrect.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Even calling that a spear is a reach. and it was more than well deserved.

Isangulov got 1 game for a high elbow to the head...
Ok, I'll bite:

Why is calling that a spear a reach?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Bob Mackenzie said it was around one second late. You are incorrect.
It was 30 digital frames which is less than 1 second. Bob Mackenzie is wrong I guess if that's what he actually said.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:13 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:

I'm just going to say that I'm glad that he hits like that and hope he, and others like him, keep it up as long as it isn't to the head or neck.
Is that what the IIHF is saying, or is that just your inference from a ruling that goes against a CBJ player? And you're telling me that as a CBJ fan, you're not biased towards both Jenner and Howson?

Good. I'm glad that we've established that you find late hits to be acceptable.

Quote:
It was 30 digital frames which is less than 1 second. Bob Mackenzie is wrong I guess if that's what he actually said.
So Bob MacKenzie, a hockey analyst is wrong, but Howson is right? Why the difference? Bob MacKenzie is one of the most ardent Canadian WJC supporters in the media. Wouldn't he be biased towards Jenner, too?

Old
12-24-2012, 04:13 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
The key word in that sentence is around. In other words, approximately one second late.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
This is an international tournament, not the chl, nhl or ahl. How the hit would have been handled in NA is as insignificant as how it would have been handled in mozambique. Had the refs been from NA, perhaps that would have made a difference (even though it shouldnt in a perfect world). But that is the lottery that is the IIHF is. This isnt "europe" vs "NA", its just the same rules for everyone, and everyone has to deal with the circumstances.

Thats what is necessary to have an international tournament like the WJC. This whole "in NA we know so much better" thing is so stupid, its hard to bear.

sorry if i offended anyone...
You haven't offended anyone. If people don't like the rules of the IIHF they don't have to participate in the tournament. However, once they do decide to they forfeit all rights to complain about the rules as written.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by moko00 View Post
So if a player trips a guy going down the wing and he falls into the boards hard and dislocates a shoulder and breaks his wrist is that a 3 games suspension also? A penalty resulting in a major injury.
Malicious intent is a bigger factor. Did the player go for the puck, miss it and then accidently trip the player? Did the play pull and Andrei Kostitsyn and puck his stick intentionally under the blade of a defender racing back for an icing? Two different plays, with different intent.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Is that what the IIHF is saying, or is that just your inference from a ruling that goes against a CBJ player? And you're telling me that as a CBJ fan, you're not biased towards both Jenner and Howson?

Good. I'm glad that we've established that you find late hits to be acceptable.
I'm of course biased. Why wouldn't I be?

But my interest in this isn't to defend Jenner, it's to defend hitting in hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIHF
"It was Jenner's intention to deliver the forceful check in spite of having the opportunity to at least make an attempt to avoid contact on Pettersson.
That's wrong. If I'm paying to watch a game, I don't want guys to swerve away just because they can. I want hits and I want guys actively trying to avoid hits after they pass the puck off even if it's been 1 second. I want forceful checks, not swerving out of the way. The trade off is that you can be out of position and be a defensive liability if you are simply going for big hits.

Safety in hockey needs to be focused on preventing head and neck injuries as well as learning how to have awareness and roll off of hits.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:16 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
I'm of course biased. Why wouldn't I be?

But my interest in this isn't to defend Jenner, it's to defend hitting in hockey.

That's wrong. If I'm paying to watch a game, I don't want guys to swerve away just because they can. I want hits and I want guys actively trying to avoid hits after they pass the puck off even if it's been 1 second.
Your opinion is irrelevant. The IIHF controls the rules, you don't.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:16 PM
DeKeyser Soze

Quote:
He barely tapped him withhis blade after he was injured and the player came by and chirped him about it. You want ot be an ass-hat, expect a reaction. I have no issue with the love tape he gave to tell the guy to top being an *******.
How do you know he chirped him. Maybe he wanted to check if he was ok? Also, how was he injured?

DeKeyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Pude

Better that they give suspensions on questionable hits when the players are still at juniors, imo.

Pude is offline   Reply With Quote