HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2012, 08:55 AM
benjiv1

vCash: 500
What do you guys think of Nikita Zadorov?

I know he's Russian, but he seems like he's cut from the same cloth as Volchenkov.

Currently playing for the London Knights, he's already 6'5 and 230lbs.

I was thinking if he drops out of the top 10, and we have a mid range pick, I think he could be a steal.

Here are some fight highlights:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013/NHL-D...Nikita-Zadorov

Last edited by benjiv1: 12-24-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old
12-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post

I know he's Russian, but he seems like he's cut from the same cloth as Volchenkov.

I was thinking if he drops out of the top 10, and we have a mid range pick, I think he could be a steal.

Until Brian Murray leaves the GM position I think it's safe to assume the Senators will be trying to avoid Russian players.
Not because they are Russian but because the organization has a pretty poor track record with them (for reasons that go far beyond their nationality): if something usually doesn't pan out, you stop doing it.

Last edited by Do Make Say Think: 12-24-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: To better reflect what I meant in the following posts
Old
12-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Until Brian Murray leaves the GM position I think it's safe to assume the Senators will be avoiding Russian players.
Not because they are Russian but because the organization has a pretty poor track record with them (for reasons that go far beyond their nationality): if something usually doesn't pan out, you stop doing it.
Disagree.

Sometimes I wonder if people are confusing the NHL Draft with the Central Junior Draft here in Ottawa. Teams have certainly done their due dilligence on ANY players they draft, especially the ones that they are picking in the first couple rounds. In interviews, it's fairly obvious to see what a kid is like, and while people might think they put on Oscar performances, they don't.

If Zadorov is the best player available when the Sens come up to podium and was also liked by the Sens brass during interviews/combine/etc, then I think Murray will draft that player. People have to realize that GM's are really just an extension of their scouts. They don't get fed all this information and then say "Well when I watch Sportscentre _____ looks good so I'm gonna pick him".

Old
12-24-2012, 11:10 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
Until Brian Murray leaves the GM position I think it's safe to assume the Senators will be avoiding Russian players.
While normally I would agree with the whole Russian thing, I think that Murray could/would make an exception, based on the individual.

As a Rookie, he is leading the OHL in +/-, and here is a quote from this month:

"A big riser this month is Nikita Zadorov, moving up 8 spots to #11. A remarkable physical specimen standing at 6'5" and over 230 pounds, Zadorov exhibits the type of poise and composure with the puck that one would expect from a ten year veteran."

Here's another article from his first couple games:

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/09/25/ro...drop-the-mitts

He really doesn't seem like the "stereotypical" Russian player. Even though, I would love a player like MacKinnon, Barkov, Jones, Monohan etc, I think realistically Ottawa could land this kid, and I for one would be estatic.

I should also mention, his nickname is "Big Z"...

Old
12-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Disagree.

Sometimes I wonder if people are confusing the NHL Draft with the Central Junior Draft here in Ottawa. Teams have certainly done their due dilligence on ANY players they draft, especially the ones that they are picking in the first couple rounds. In interviews, it's fairly obvious to see what a kid is like, and while people might think they put on Oscar performances, they don't.

If Zadorov is the best player available when the Sens come up to podium and was also liked by the Sens brass during interviews/combine/etc, then I think Murray will draft that player. People have to realize that GM's are really just an extension of their scouts. They don't get fed all this information and then say "Well when I watch Sportscentre _____ looks good so I'm gonna pick him".
I don't see where I said anything that goes what you just stated; I feel that Brian Murray has had a poor track record with Russians with the Senators and I think he will try to look for alternatives to drafting Russians. It goes without saying that if all his scouts tell him that this kid is a sure thing then he would go for it, I just don't think it's likely. He was the first Ottawa GM to trade the team's first round pick when given the option to draft Tarasenko: Murray does not like drafting Russians, it's that simple. However you don't get to become a GM by only relying on your gut and if, like you said, Zadorov is the best player available then Murray will most likely draft him.

Quote:
While normally I would agree with the whole Russian thing, I think that Murray could/would make an exception, based on the individual.

As a Rookie, he is leading the OHL in +/-, and here is a quote from this month:

"A big riser this month is Nikita Zadorov, moving up 8 spots to #11. A remarkable physical specimen standing at 6'5" and over 230 pounds, Zadorov exhibits the type of poise and composure with the puck that one would expect from a ten year veteran."

Here's another article from his first couple games:

http://www.lfpress.com/2012/09/25/ro...drop-the-mitts

He really doesn't seem like the "stereotypical" Russian player. Even though, I would love a player like MacKinnon, Barkov, Jones, Monohan etc, I think realistically Ottawa could land this kid, and I for one would be estatic.

I should also mention, his nickname is "Big Z"...
If he's a good defensive prospect, available at the draft and the scouting teams likes him Murray will definitely consider him; I just think that Murray will try all other options (specifically trades) before drafting a Russian.

EDIT: I have edited my original post to add "trying to avoid" rather than outright "avoiding"; I don't think Murray would automatically pass on a Russian draftee.

Last edited by Do Make Say Think: 12-24-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Coherence
Old
12-24-2012, 11:48 AM
Orange Thunder

Quote:

I want this kid if we're picking 13-15 range. But like others said, Russian factor

Old
12-24-2012, 11:49 AM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:

Nah I don't really like him that much. Besides the Russian factor, I'm not high on drafting defensmen in the first round without much offensive ability. I think we're better going off with a forward. I think Lazar will drop past the top 10, if we could manage to draft him, that would give us some of the best center depth in the league. With Alfie soon to retire, it leaves our RW pretty bare, we could draft Anthony Mantha. Kerby Rychel is severely underrated. Ryan Hartman is looking like another Noesen. Really the only two D I would take in the first besides Jones, are Morrisey and Pulock.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:36 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Disagree.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...056&highlight=

Disagree. Murray has never drafted a Russian for all of his 18 first round picks. He passed on Tarasenko and traded the pick when he was clearly BPA.

Murray simply doesn't like drafting Russians period.

Old
12-24-2012, 01:37 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicNeilTime View Post
Nah I don't really like him that much. Besides the Russian factor, I'm not high on drafting defensmen in the first round without much offensive ability. I think we're better going off with a forward. I think Lazar will drop past the top 10, if we could manage to draft him, that would give us some of the best center depth in the league. With Alfie soon to retire, it leaves our RW pretty bare, we could draft Anthony Mantha. Kerby Rychel is severely underrated. Ryan Hartman is looking like another Noesen. Really the only two D I would take in the first besides Jones, are Morrisey and Pulock.
Darnell Nurse is a guy to watch for. Big talent and huge upside to me.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:02 PM
Rumcajs

How is Zadorovs skating? Could be another Valabik

Old
12-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Orange Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
How is Zadorovs skating? Could be another Valabik
Valabik got pretty good in NHL 09 iirc

Old
12-24-2012, 02:16 PM
General Granny*

Adam Erne everyday and all day, that kid will be our 1st LWer for years to come.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Orange Thunder

FWIW Zadorov wears 65.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:19 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

I think Murray is more against Russian's playing in Russia, there was alot of talk they were interested in Burmistrov before he was picked, and he had played in the OHL in his draft year. I don't think Murray would pass on Zadarov if he's the BPA at the time of picking, plus he'll have NA, and his style also suits it.

I don't think Murray has ever drafted a Finn as the Sens GM either, should we count them out too?

Old
12-24-2012, 03:03 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
I think Murray is more against Russian's playing in Russia, there was alot of talk they were interested in Burmistrov before he was picked, and he had played in the OHL in his draft year. I don't think Murray would pass on Zadarov if he's the BPA at the time of picking, plus he'll have NA, and his style also suits it.

I don't think Murray has ever drafted a Finn as the Sens GM either, should we count them out too?
He hasn't. However that could possibly be because there hasn't been much talent let alone worthy 1st round talent to choose from.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

Disagree. Murray has never drafted a Russian for all of his 18 first round picks. He passed on Tarasenko and traded the pick when he was clearly BPA.

What? He didn't pick Tarasenko because Forsberg hyped up Rundblad and the 1st Round Pick was required for the deal to work...

Also, where was Tarasenko playing when he was drafted? Russia. Were there rumours about him possibly not coming over to the NHL? Yes. Where is Zadorov playing? Canada. Were there rumours about him possibly not coming over to the NHL? No.

Quote:
He hasn't. However that could possibly be because there hasn't been much talent let alone worthy 1st round talent to choose from.
There have also been very few Russians that were 1st round talents by the time the Sens were up.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:

Wasn't he very high on Burmistrov?

Old
12-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Orange Thunder

If we get either Elias Lindholm or Nikita Zadorov, I will be ecstatic.

Old
12-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Darnell Nurse really should be closer to a Top 10 pick IMO.

Old
12-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Darnell Nurse really should be closer to a Top 10 pick IMO.
Agreed. I have him around 8 which shows how deep this draft is. He'd be a top 5 pick most drafts.

Old
12-24-2012, 07:02 PM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

It's wishful thinking, but I really want Jonathan Drouin from this year's draft. I've watched a couple of his games this year, and he looks almost as good as Mackinnon.

Even though we have a highly ranked prospect pool, we still lack that sure fire lights out superstud prospect. That destined for first line status. If we end up with a top 10 pick, we could very well land that type of prospect. I say if we are drafting top 10 then we go with the best forward available for that reason. This years draft group has at least 6 forwards in the top 10 who could very well turn out to be ppg players.

But like I said, if we somehow end up with Drouin, I'll be the first one lined up to buy his jersey.

Old
12-24-2012, 08:26 PM
General Granny*

I will give my left nut for Elias Lindholm.

Old
12-24-2012, 08:42 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
What? He didn't pick Tarasenko because Forsberg hyped up Rundblad and the 1st Round Pick was required for the deal to work...

Also, where was Tarasenko playing when he was drafted? Russia. Were there rumours about him possibly not coming over to the NHL? Yes. Where is Zadorov playing? Canada. Were there rumours about him possibly not coming over to the NHL? No.
The thought on Rundblad was that the deal was in place before the draft and that Ottawa would make the deal only if "their guys" were not available at the pick. Well Tarsenko was obviously not one of those guys. Heck we passed on Kulikov in 2009 and he was playing the Q and was pretty highly touted and ranked inside Bob's top 10 list.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11043

Quote:
There have also been very few Russians that were 1st round talents by the time the Sens were up.
Certainly more then the Finns.

Old
12-25-2012, 12:49 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
The thought on Rundblad was that the deal was in place before the draft and that Ottawa would make the deal only if "their guys" were not available at the pick. Well Tarsenko was obviously not one of those guys. Heck we passed on Kulikov in 2009 and he was playing the Q and was pretty highly touted and ranked inside Bob's top 10 list.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=11043

Certainly more then the Finns.
That's fine and dandy, it displays absolutely no proof that Murray will not take a Russian. And we passed on Kulikov because we took COWEN, that logic is very VERY flawed, sorry. Cowen is also rated higher there than Kulikov if you hadn't noticed...

The staff was high on Burmistrov, and Murray still made a move for a former 6th overall pick that 28 other GM's did not.

Old
12-25-2012, 05:14 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I'm pretty confident staff would have taken Kulikov but Cowen was too good to be true at 9 so he was the obvious choice. He was a sure fire top 3 pick before his injury. However, Sens brass wanted OEL above all and were disappointed when Phoenix took him. Murray gave away his hand mid-season prior to the draft when he spoke of a "secret spade/card(?) Swedish defender they liked." This was wayyyyyy before OEL was even considered to be top 10 eligible. He was considered to be picked around 15-20ish. This guy tore through the lists of everyone in last 2 months.

To be honest, during that whole Murray and Burke thingy. I think Murray's mindset was at, "Ok now that OEL is gone and Burke just told me he wants Kadri, that means Cowen will fall to us," mentality. That's why he stuttered because it was an on the spot plan he was just confirming with after viewing his options.

Sens brass were also very high on Burmistrov but because he showed no reason to going back and his attitude and work ethic were that of a North American hockey player. This guy was like a mini-datsyuk. Humble and skilled and all. They wanted Granlund ahead of him though, and I remember how they thought he would have been able to fall to them during the draft table discussions but had to resort to plan B which was trade the pick.

We literally have hit a "worst case scenario" type playground in the past 3 drafts but Murray changed em into Cowen and Turris. He doesn't get enough credit.

Last edited by ReginKarlssonLehner: 12-25-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Closed Thread