HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

Prestige Worldwide (360) - BRUINS Available! - Need Reserves

Old
12-23-2012, 08:12 PM
ThePsychicSaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1396 View Post
I definitely wouldn't say that was arcadey. If anything playing on default it's arcadey. The hitting is unrealistic to go along with fatigue, passing and shooting (sort of). If you want the "epitome of arcadey weakness" then ill take you back to my previous game against Jack when it was on default. There was one sequence where players were getting murdered against the boards. I counted at least 5 big hits in a 10 second span. We had at least 25 big hits in that game and I said AT LEAST there were probably more. In a real NHL game you will see maybe 2 or 3 and if your lucky 4 or 5. We definitely get that in Normal. I definitely agree that the pokecheck is even more OP ( I experienced this 1st hand against MIN) but if people tone it down, than we will get more offensive chances. A lot goals in real life are rebounds or "cheese goals" but snipes will go in as well. Sure shots do miss the net but don't we see that in real life as well? If people are unhappy with the shot totals I have a proposal. Extend the period length's to 6 or 7 mins. I understand 7 mins will add 6 mins to a game and that might be to much, but extending it to 6 will add only 3 and that might be prefect for more shot totals.
brother, I know you mean best but... you really need to re read all of that.

then think back to our game. and then your own admission to my displeasure throughout that game.

What's the most important thing in terms of a games outcome?
goals/scoring right? Not hitting. And in real life if our game was played out based on the possesion, the attempts, the scoring chances... it would have been a killing. and the probability of a blue line flop of yours going in very unlikely. So I don't think comparing it to real life is the best angle for you to take in support of this type of gameplay settings.

Realism in rewarding good plays is >>>>>>>> than realistic hits.

and you get much closer (even though it still rewards crap) in I guess "default" mode.

What's funny is the current mode its in right now (normal I suppose) hitting aint even close to realistic either. Alexander Semin, my favorite player, was destroying my entire team from what I remember in our game.

ThePsychicSaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:28 PM
matt1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsychicSaw View Post
brother, I know you mean best but... you really need to re read all of that.

then think back to our game. and then your own admission to my displeasure throughout that game.

What's the most important thing in terms of a games outcome?
goals/scoring right? Not hitting. And in real life if our game was played out based on the possesion, the attempts, the scoring chances... it would have been a killing. and the probability of a blue line flop of yours going in very unlikely. So I don't think comparing it to real life is the best angle for you to take in support of this type of gameplay settings.

Realism in rewarding good plays is >>>>>>>> than realistic hits.

and you get much closer (even though it still rewards crap) in I guess "default" mode.

What's funny is the current mode its in right now (normal I suppose) hitting aint even close to realistic either. Alexander Semin, my favorite player, was destroying my entire team from what I remember in our game.
he didn't even kill anyone in that game, from what I remember I think Komisarek was the true beast. I think that good plays are possible but you just ran into Reimer playing well (he has been as of late), passing plays are definitely possible, and my Kessel breakaway goal wasn't a bad goal. I think if you play some HUT or more games on normal you will definitely go back to dominating games. I don't remember any blue line flops in our game, sure the 1st goal was questionable but it was a rebound goal, something that you will see in real life.

matt1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:29 PM
ChuckWoods

How about we just end the argument and stop flooding this league discussion board with our own opinions that arn't going to solve the issue.

Just post what setting you'd like. Thats all;

For me at this point, I vote Normal.

Im pretty sure its safe to say Saw and Wilco vote default and Matty is voting normal.

Normal: 2
Default: 2

No more in depth discussions about why you prefer each setting, because its quite clear why people like default, and why others like normal.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:38 PM
matt1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWoods View Post
How about we just end the argument and stop flooding this league discussion board with our own opinions that arn't going to solve the issue.

Im pretty sure its safe to say Saw and Wilco vote default and Matty is voting normal.

No more in depth discussions about why you prefer each setting, because its quite clear why people like default, and why others like normal.
sounds good to me, and I think Jack would vote normal as well because he has supported it the entire time.

matt1396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 08:45 PM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:

that sounds good, however, is that really all that is different? normal vs default?
I really have no idea what default or normal entail. No idea what control you have over the settings
its just very evident that the current gameplay settings are poop IMO.

Old
12-23-2012, 08:52 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
that sounds good, however, is that really all that is different? normal vs default?
I really have no idea what default or normal entail. No idea what control you have over the settings
its just very evident that the current gameplay settings are poop IMO.
That is your opinion.

If anything, Jack and I thought "Normal" settings would have benefited your game play much more than Default.

He posted the difference between the two a few pages back.

The sliders are pre-set, which basically set the two apart.

Normal's slider "helpers" are toned down a bit, which means a bit more skillset would require finesse finishing and play making due to the pass assistance and shot assistance being toned down.

But for the time being, we will keep it at Normal due to the majority requesting for it at the start of the league.

Old
12-23-2012, 09:28 PM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:
That is your opinion.

If anything, Jack and I thought "Normal" settings would have benefited your game play much more than Default.

He posted the difference between the two a few pages back.

The sliders are pre-set, which basically set the two apart.

Normal's slider "helpers" are toned down a bit, which means a bit more skillset would require finesse finishing and play making due to the pass assistance and shot assistance being toned down.

But for the time being, we will keep it at Normal due to the majority requesting for it at the start of the league.
I thought it be better for my type of play too but its better for flop shooters and spam pokers, my bane of nhl existence hahaha.

But I was mainly asking if default and normal are really your only choices? like thats the difference, just that one thing? I thought there was full control over sliders and/or tuners and other settings. thats all im saying

Old
12-23-2012, 09:31 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
I thought it be better for my type of play too but its better for flop shooters and spam pokers, my bane of nhl existence hahaha.

But I was mainly asking if default and normal are really your only choices? like thats the difference, just that one thing? I thought there was full control over sliders and/or tuners and other settings. thats all im saying

There is "custom" as well as "current" but I dont want to keep tweaking the settings to appease just a couple of people.

I can attest that at least 80% of the league is more than content with normal.

We'll keep it at normal for the time being, and when Jack gets back from his holidays we will discuss it in depth as to what we can do to try and balance everyone's thoughts and opinions and do what is best for the league as a whole.

But please, lets not talk about this setting thing anymore as its taken over the league thread! lol

Just know that yours and Wilco's suggestions have been noted, and Jack and I do plan on discussing what can be done, or what cant be.

Happy holidays.

Old
12-23-2012, 11:23 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco5886 View Post
Ah yes theres that buzz word again, arcadey. At least people who prefer normal dont have a false sense of superiority. If all you like to do is grind grind grind then I'm sure you love normal. Just chuck it at the net and hope for a rebound. No reason to shoot top corner (unless you have crosby/ovechkin) because it will go wide. Might as well shoot low for rebounds every time. No reason to try and carry the puck across the blueline because the pokechecks are overcharged. Just dump it in, forecheck for a turnover and pass in front and shoot short side. Lots of creativity.

Frankly I don't understand why it was changed in the first place. Only justification I've heard is "less cheesing," (which I think is very debatable). Half the players in the league are from Elite. Was there really a problem of cheesing in there? I don't remember any complaints.

Like I said, I will accept whatever tuner is chosen. But I don't appreciate people talking down to people who prefer "default." Some people may say it is too easy to play offense in default, I say it is too easy to play defense in normal and I don't have much fun when shots are 12 to 14 at then end of the game. Although I like that fatigue is more of a factor, this is outweighed by the other deficiencies of normal IMO.
I like fatigue, and I like the more realistic hitting.

I've seen no evidence that rebounds are more likely to work on normal vs. default. If anything, the opposite seems true, since shots are consistently harder because there is less fatigue.

One thing worth addressing though, since it came up in multiple posts. There is no difference in poke checking on normal and versus. Check the sliders. In both sets, it is 2/6. I suspect what people are noticing is not that poke-checking is overcharged, but rather that puck control is being affected by fatigue.

Quote:
There is "custom" as well as "current" but I dont want to keep tweaking the settings to appease just a couple of people.

I can attest that at least 80% of the league is more than content with normal.

We'll keep it at normal for the time being, and when Jack gets back from his holidays we will discuss it in depth as to what we can do to try and balance everyone's thoughts and opinions and do what is best for the league as a whole.

But please, lets not talk about this setting thing anymore as its taken over the league thread! lol

Just know that yours and Wilco's suggestions have been noted, and Jack and I do plan on discussing what can be done, or what cant be.

Happy holidays.
We can talk about it when I get back. There might be a middle ground that would satisfy the majority here.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 12:17 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
will not be available until after Christmas day

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 09:16 AM
korndog81

I like default, but wish the checking was toned down a tad.

And nyi will be a from 3-7 pm today

Last edited by korndog81: 12-24-2012 at 09:32 AM.
korndog81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:15 AM
ChuckWoods

Okay guys, I realize this is a busy time of the year and many people are away for days at a time doing the family thing, so its understandable that we cant get all of our games in.

Here is a list of a few teams that you CAN play their CPU for the rest of this block only;

Columbus, Tampa Bay, Boston, Philadelphia and Florida.

Also AFTER 5pm today, anyone that has an outstanding game with me (Winnipeg) may play me CPU as I wont be around until the 25th @ 5-6pm to do your advance to the next block.

So take note of those teams above, and if you have them on your block feel free to play their CPU unless they post in here telling you not to do so because they've gotten home early!

Cheers and happy holidays.

Old
12-24-2012, 02:25 PM
bootsgaudet

Just catching up on some posts on the thread, and from the game i just played vs. washington, (i won 5 - 0) but im going to have to side with what Psychic Saw has been bringing up.

Gameplay feels quite arcadey, i felt the puck was glued to some people's stick's, skating was all off, and im not sure about fatigue but i ran around the ice with nick spaling for 4 mins game time , and he didn't loose a stride.

Just think it should be revisted is all

bootsgaudet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:36 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsgaudet View Post
Just catching up on some posts on the thread, and from the game i just played vs. washington, (i won 5 - 0) but im going to have to side with what Psychic Saw has been bringing up.

Gameplay feels quite arcadey, i felt the puck was glued to some people's stick's, skating was all off, and im not sure about fatigue but i ran around the ice with nick spaling for 4 mins game time , and he didn't loose a stride.

Just think it should be revisted is all
Not sure what game you were playing, but its currently at normal.

Default is the "arcadey" feeling where fatigue matters little and the pass/shooting assistance seems to be increased.

Poke Check is virtually the same between the two in terms of tuner settings.

I dont want to hear complaints, just simply post if you would like it changed to default.

Jack and I are going to look at the custom settings when he gets back to see if we can please both sides.

Old
12-24-2012, 03:32 PM
McNashty
HATERS GON' HATE!

vCash: 827
Send a message via AIM to McNashty Send a message via MSN to McNashty
Hey guys, sorry about the inactivity as of late. I've been working crazy long hours at my dad's store and by the time I'd get home, I'd eat, shower and pass out and be up the next morning for work again. I promise to get back to regular activity once Christmas is past. Sorry again guys. Also, if you see my GT on any game other than NHL, and possibly NBA 2k13, chances are it's not me online and it's my brother.

McNashty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:01 PM
noexult
HFBoards Sponsor

I've stated it earlier that can be played vs cpu now, I won't be on Xbox for another 40 hours or so Have a still Merry Christmas everyone!

Wether I would like default or normal...to be honest I don't care too much...sure, fatigue matters...and some don't like that it seems, since the shooting accuracy drops during playtime(It's reality though). I guess one could increase shooting and keep the fatigue as in normal in a custom mode.

noexult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Claytoon

I'm the Detroit GM and I've been inviting phx to gm games and I haven't got a response so I played Tampas CPU because he's away and once I finished that game my Phoenix game was gone and he played against my CPU and won 2-1 even tho I have been online so I think something has to be done

Claytoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:21 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoon View Post
I'm the Detroit GM and I've been inviting phx to gm games and I haven't got a response so I played Tampas CPU because he's away and once I finished that game my Phoenix game was gone and he played against my CPU and won 2-1 even tho I have been online so I think something has to be done
Thanks for the heads up about this!

Please, for anyone that has had their CPU's played by someone else without their permission, please inform us here so we can deal with it.

The GM has been removed and we now have an opening. There is ZERO tolerance of playing your opponents CPU without their permission.

They will be offered to; The High Pope then Lefty.

If they do not want the team, we will go in order of sign ups from this point.

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 12-24-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old
12-24-2012, 09:08 PM
PALE PWNR

Feel Free to play CPU

Old
12-24-2012, 09:59 PM
HughJazz3dg

vCash: 155
Again, I'm busy. So play Calgarys CPU

HughJazz3dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 12:06 AM
PALE PWNR

Would anyone be interested in the 6's tourny currently forming here http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1311035 to represent this league? I wont bother with it if no one is interested but if anyone is, PM me your primary position as well as what card you have and when you are available in the coming week.

Old
12-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Claytoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Would anyone be interested in the 6's tourny currently forming here http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1311035 to represent this league? I wont bother with it if no one is interested but if anyone is, PM me your primary position as well as what card you have and when you are available in the coming week.
I'd defiantly join this and I prefer RW could do lw

Claytoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 08:12 AM
ChuckWoods

First off, welcome the new GM - The High Pope

He's a very active player on Xbox, so if you cannot find him on here, message him on xbox and I am sure you'll get a timely response! I know a lot of people were dying to deal with the Coyotes!

Secondly, today is the advance. I will be quickly advancing to the next playable block between Christmas parties at 5-6pm EST.

These teams have made themselves available to play their CPUs for the rest of this block only;

So please, only play those teams the remainder of this block. Do not play these teams once the new block begins because many of these guys are due back the 26th/27th to play their games.

Happy holidays.

Last edited by ChuckWoods: 12-25-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old
12-25-2012, 09:09 AM
korndog81

Feel free to play NYI

Merry Christmas everyone

korndog81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:40 AM
noexult
HFBoards Sponsor