HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Planning to build a new computer? Read Here first! #5

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2012, 09:17 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I only plugged the old drive in to see what would happen; it's not connected anymore. Otherwise, it shares a video card. I tried a different card, same thing happened.

Otherwise RAM, mobo, PSU, processor, are all new. HD is fresh out of box and has nothing on it.

I tried resetting CMOS, that didn't help. Also, before BIOS really gets going (like if you hit F2) it will at some point say no hard drive is detected. However, it is detected when you're in BIOS.

Error: ***STOP: 0x0000007B 0xC0000034 0x00000000 0x00000000

It recommends I check for viruses (ha!) and remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. I should also check to make sure my hard drive is properly configured and terminated. It wants me to run CHDSK /F but that's no possible since XP won't start in any way, shape or form.

I'd like to format the empty hard drive to see what that does, but I can't get to that stage of the XP setup either. It does try to boot from the CD, it loads all the files, and then immediately crashes once it attempts to start.
Okay, so you are trying to install XP on a new motherboard correct?

BSOD's can be caused by having the SATA controller incorrectly configured in XP without drivers. Go into the BIOS and check to see if the mode of the controller is set to AHCI or RAID. If so change it to it IDE compatibility mode.

Old
12-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Okay, so you are trying to install XP on a new motherboard correct?

BSOD's can be caused by having the SATA controller incorrectly configured in XP without drivers. Go into the BIOS and check to see if the mode of the controller is set to AHCI or RAID. If so change it to it IDE compatibility mode.
HAha, I actually set it for IDE before reading this, as you'll see from my edit. That did it. XP is installing and I'll likely do the windows 8 upgrade tonight. I'm curious to see if my old PC somehow, through some phantom means, changed its own BIOS setting. Whatever, it was upgrade time anyways, old PC was over 7 years old.

Thank you for the help! I knew there was going to be some hangup. These things never go smoothly for me

12-22-2012, 09:28 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

If you ever plan on getting an SSD you will want AHCI mode, since you mentioned upgrading to 8 I suggest you make sure to enable AHCI before you do that upgrade.

If you install Windows in IDE mode, once you switch it to AHCI mode after the fact it will crash. There are ways to fix this later but it's easier to just have it set to begin with.

Old
12-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
If you ever plan on getting an SSD you will want AHCI mode, since you mentioned upgrading to 8 I suggest you make sure to enable AHCI before you do that upgrade.

If you install Windows in IDE mode, once you switch it to AHCI mode after the fact it will crash. There are ways to fix this later but it's easier to just have it set to begin with.
Unfortunately, I had to set it to IDE to get the install working

Unless there was some other solution I missed. I don't anticipate switching to SSD anytime soon. Then again, I didn't antipicate buying a new PC until next year, so what do I know.

Old
12-22-2012, 09:48 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Unfortunately, I had to set it to IDE to get the install working

Unless there was some other solution I missed. I don't anticipate switching to SSD anytime soon. Then again, I didn't antipicate buying a new PC until next year, so what do I know.
I mean change it to AHCI if you go to 8. 8 Should install with AHCI enabled no problem.

Old
12-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I mean change it to AHCI if you go to 8. 8 Should install with AHCI enabled no problem.
Well, I was planning on doing their upgrade deal. Will that work out?

Edit: That was phrased poorly. I mean their online deal; I was planning on making a boot disc later.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 12-22-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old
12-22-2012, 10:08 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well, I was planning on doing their upgrade deal. Will that work out?

Edit: That was phrased poorly. I mean their online deal; I was planning on making a boot disc later.
It will install in either IDE or AHCI mode, and you won't really notice a difference.

I haven't done a windows upgrade since 98 so I don't know exactly how it goes, but presumably at some time it's going to reboot and start the install. At that point I would set it to AHCI.

EDIT: I'd also say that you should probably upgrade sooner rather than later. Honestly I'd just send the $40 now and do it right away. Better than configuring XP up only to nuke it later. Also XP has a lot of limitations in terms of memory because its 32bit.

Unless you actually have a 64bit copy of XP but that has even more issues.

Old
12-22-2012, 10:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

that's exactly what I'm doing. Once XP is installed I'll run the new mobo drivers and vid card drivers (and hope 8 doesn't decide to trash them), then I'm immediately running the upgrade. I use 7 at work and I love it, but since 8 is half the price for the upgrade I might as well do that.

If there's no major bonus to switching over from IDE right now, I'll probably hold off on it unless it's immediately obvious and straightforward. It looks like there's a backdoor way to do it after the install.

Old
12-22-2012, 10:28 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
that's exactly what I'm doing. Once XP is installed I'll run the new mobo drivers and vid card drivers (and hope 8 doesn't decide to trash them), then I'm immediately running the upgrade. I use 7 at work and I love it, but since 8 is half the price for the upgrade I might as well do that.

If there's no major bonus to switching over from IDE right now, I'll probably hold off on it unless it's immediately obvious and straightforward.
Don't bother with drivers, just get LAN if you need it for downloading. 8 trashes everything far as I know.

If you are installing from a boot disk, you might as well set it to AHCI before you start the upgrade. It's not a huge difference but AHCI is better for performance. Enough to be felt outside of a benchmark? not sure.

Old
12-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

If 8 trashes everything I guess I'll dl Nero and make a bootable DVD.

I'm gonna leave IDE alone. Spending 3 hours to figure that out was too draining haha

Old
12-25-2012, 10:10 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

My brother is interested in getting a PC sometime before going to university. He's interested in getting into game design or computer sciences, and obviously he's interested in having top notch gaming ability. Recommendations for a PC build in a $1500 budget? Would the pc builds in the op be the way to go? Thanks

12-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

I just bought a new computer and my issue isn't with the specs, but rather how to transfer everything onto it without going over a bandwidth cap. My current PC is on Windows Vista and the new one will be either 7 or 8 (trying 8 first to see if I like it before deciding on which I want to install) and I need to get everything onto the new PC without preferably downloading a bunch of crap because of the monthly bandwidth cap.

So what's the best way go about moving everything over? Or is there a way for me to just take the current hard drive out, remove Vista and stick it in the new PC with the new hard drive without screwing things up? I have a 16 gig memory stick, 64 gig Ipod and 32 gig Ipad that I can use to move stuff around if need be, but I was mainly wondering if there was an easier option.

Main reason I'm asking is because the current hard drive is 1tb and moving that much would be a giant pain in the butt

Old
12-25-2012, 11:32 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
My brother is interested in getting a PC sometime before going to university. He's interested in getting into game design or computer sciences, and obviously he's interested in having top notch gaming ability. Recommendations for a PC build in a $1500 budget? Would the pc builds in the op be the way to go? Thanks
Does he need a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, printer?

If it's just the PC build:
Case: $100
Power Supply: $100
Blu-Ray Drive: $80
Hard-Drive (1.5 Tb): $110
CPU (i7 3770k): $330
GPU (GTX 680): $450
Motherboard (ASUS P8Z77-V PRO): $200
RAM (16 GB, Corsair): $100
Windows 7 Home (64): $100
= $1570

That PC will do anything you want.

You could save a tad in some of the areas if you find good deals or get maybe a 670 instead of a 680 or an i5 3570k instead of the 3770k. Depends on what his use will be.

Old
12-25-2012, 11:34 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
I just bought a new computer and my issue isn't with the specs, but rather how to transfer everything onto it without going over a bandwidth cap. My current PC is on Windows Vista and the new one will be either 7 or 8 (trying 8 first to see if I like it before deciding on which I want to install) and I need to get everything onto the new PC without preferably downloading a bunch of crap because of the monthly bandwidth cap.

So what's the best way go about moving everything over? Or is there a way for me to just take the current hard drive out, remove Vista and stick it in the new PC with the new hard drive without screwing things up? I have a 16 gig memory stick, 64 gig Ipod and 32 gig Ipad that I can use to move stuff around if need be, but I was mainly wondering if there was an easier option.

Main reason I'm asking is because the current hard drive is 1tb and moving that much would be a giant pain in the butt
? Can't you just turn on both PCs at the same time and do a transfer through the network connection? I assume you have a router?

Old
12-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
? Can't you just turn on both PCs at the same time and do a transfer through the network connection? I assume you have a router?
....well I feel dumb now. For some reason I didn't think of that >.>

Old
12-25-2012, 05:30 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Something like the build in the OP would work for sure, or what LickTheEnvelope suggests. Though they aren't much different.

The main thing to keep in mind is, does the $1500 budget include the operating system and monitor or not? If the $1500 budget also needs a monitor that can make the build a little weaker. Though not much.

Right now the OP $1500 build is running about $1450. The main difference between it and Lick's is the SSD instead of a 3770. IMO for gaming you are better off with an SSD.

If you need that monitor + OS included in the $1500 number I can help ya trim some stuff and still keep it pretty much top of the line far as gaming goes.

Old
12-25-2012, 05:55 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Something like the build in the OP would work for sure, or what LickTheEnvelope suggests. Though they aren't much different.

The main thing to keep in mind is, does the $1500 budget include the operating system and monitor or not? If the $1500 budget also needs a monitor that can make the build a little weaker. Though not much.

Right now the OP $1500 build is running about $1450. The main difference between it and Lick's is the SSD instead of a 3770. IMO for gaming you are better off with an SSD.

If you need that monitor + OS included in the $1500 number I can help ya trim some stuff and still keep it pretty much top of the line far as gaming goes.
I put the 3770k instead of the SSD as he said his brother was going into computer sciences and developing.

SSD's are awesome but depending on what he's using the PC for the extra processing power may be useful.

Old
12-25-2012, 06:02 PM
Johnny Bravo
Fired Up

Quote:

Instead of the 3770k he could shave off a few bucks and get the 3570k

Old
12-25-2012, 06:07 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I put the 3770k instead of the SSD as he said his brother was going into computer sciences and developing.

SSD's are awesome but depending on what he's using the PC for the extra processing power may be useful
I don't disagree with that, but the 3570k is still a stupid fast processor in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather cut out the bottleneck of a crusty old mechanical drive as much as possible. And depending on the application, SSD's can help in development as well.

The 16gb of ram is a no brainer considering how cheap it is these days.

EDIT: This may be a situation where AMD comes into play actually. The high end Piledriver actually beats the 3770 sometimes in development type scenarios, matches the i5 in multi threaded games, and is still plenty playable in the ever decreasing single threaded realm.

Plus its cheaper than both.

Old
12-25-2012, 06:19 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
I don't disagree with that, but the 3570k is still a stupid fast processor in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather cut out the bottleneck of a crusty old mechanical drive as much as possible. And depending on the application, SSD's can help in development as well.

The 16gb of ram is a no brainer considering how cheap it is these days.

EDIT: This may be a situation where AMD comes into play actually. The high end Piledriver actually beats the 3770 sometimes in development type scenarios, matches the i5 in multi threaded games, and is still plenty playable in the ever decreasing single threaded realm.

Plus its cheaper than both.
That is true, can look at AMD.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:32 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

He'd be starting from scratch - no monitor, no keyboard, only a basic USB mouse. I should clarify that my dad works in telecomms and would be able to get OS and basic software for my brother, if he were to build a computer himself. $1.5k is the max he would budget, ideally the build would be closer to $1k.

From what I gather, adding monitor + keyboard + sound could add ~$250 to the build.

Old
12-25-2012, 11:10 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
He'd be starting from scratch - no monitor, no keyboard, only a basic USB mouse. I should clarify that my dad works in telecomms and would be able to get OS and basic software for my brother, if he were to build a computer himself. $1.5k is the max he would budget, ideally the build would be closer to $1k.

From what I gather, adding monitor + keyboard + sound could add ~$250 to the build.
Certainly could. Do you know if he's going to be willing to upgrade the system down the line? That makes a big difference on the type of build I would suggest at 1k.

With that in mind here is what I came up with anyway. At this point were getting to the level where you have to start knocking down the video card to save money. Right now I'm at 1,242.40 with monitor and speakers included.

http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/Pub...umber=18821371

Basically the changes are I went with the AMD CPU. Dropped to a GTX 670. Removed SSD. Decreased the power supply. Got a cheaper case. And just for reference I added a monitor and speaker set. I can't speak to their quality but I've always liked budget Acer monitors.

Also whenever you decide on the type of parts you want, its much easier to look around other stores like NCIX, Amazon, and locally to find the best prices. Probably some sales going on right now.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:21 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I'm sure he'd be willing to upgrade the computer over time, especially considering his career ambitions (computer-oriented).

Many thanks for the build! I've passed it on to him.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:01 AM
BeBen*

Hey guys, i need a wireless router around 60$

and a USB wireless adapter around 30$

best bang for the buck please

Old
01-01-2013, 12:16 PM
BeBen*

Theyre out of stock of the case Antec 900 USB 3 Edition