HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN's top 40 Canadian WJC players

Old
12-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Habs13

vCash: 500
TSN's top 40 Canadian WJC players

TSN compiled a list of the 40 best players to play for Team Canada at the World Juniors - some Habs picks included!

#13 C. Price
#22 S. Corson
#35 P. Brisebois
#40 PK Subban

What do you think of this list? http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature/?id=9803

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Wasn't he in Dumb & Dumber?

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:31 PM
S Bah

Surely #19 has now been drafted into the Habs family,Martin Lapointe's work with our prospects will be outstanding.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Surely #19 has now been drafted into the Habs family,Martin Lapointe's work with our prospects will be outstanding.
In that case, we can count S.Fiset and M.Denis

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:26 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I love Eberle. Really wish we had him.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 10:25 PM
pine*

EBERLE SCORES
TIE GAME
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT
I CAN
BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT KUYUITKIN FAILED TO ICE THE PUCK
LOOK AT THE RUSSIAN BODY LANGUAGE
THEY'RE DEJECTED

all because of TAVARES MAGICAL PLAY

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:29 PM
beaverBFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
EBERLE SCORES
TIE GAME
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT

I CAN
BECAUSE OF THE FACT THAT KUYUITKIN FAILED TO ICE THE PUCK
LOOK AT THE RUSSIAN BODY LANGUAGE
THEY'RE DEJECTED

all because of TAVARES MAGICAL PLAY
Favorite broadcasting moment, next to the golden goal.

beaverBFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:35 PM
S Bah

One for the money two for the show,three to get ready now go US go! I meant........................!go

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:42 PM
VL55

Jonathan Toews seems very high in regard with his actual accomplishments in the WJC.

Aside from that, that seems a fair list that does not hesitate to place relatively unknown players above NHL all-stars if it is warranted.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 11:51 PM
76ftw

Also just said Galchenyuk second best non Canadian player in the tourny

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:01 AM
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
Jonathan Toews seems very high in regard with his actual accomplishments in the WJC.

Aside from that, that seems a fair list that does not hesitate to place relatively unknown players above NHL all-stars if it is warranted.

Toews place on this list is in direct correlation to the game he had against the US in 2007. He was money in the shootout. His play against the Russian's was awesome as well.

To me, Tavares was too high for his actual play. I remember watching the games and saying that guy played as lousy as you can and still got several points! (Seemed very lucky to me at the time.)

I'm waiting for the first person to ask why were the Canadians disqualified in 87!

walsy37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:26 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverBFP View Post
Favorite broadcasting moment, next to the golden goal.
Yeah, only to be ruined by that fat bald creepy idiot.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
Toews place on this list is in direct correlation to the game he had against the US in 2007. He was money in the shootout. His play against the Russian's was awesome as well.

To me, Tavares was too high for his actual play. I remember watching the games and saying that guy played as lousy as you can and still got several points! (Seemed very lucky to me at the time.)

I'm waiting for the first person to ask why were the Canadians disqualified in 87!
Tavares wasn't the most visible player out there, but it doesn't change the fact that he was excellent.

Toews has no business being even close to the top 10. He had a good shootout... and that's it. For the rest of the tournament, he was good, but not exceptional by any means. There wouldn't even have been a shootout had Price not been exceptionally good during the OT period... and during pretty much the entire game and tournament.

Price was the tournament MVP and Toews is listed ahead of him. Something isn't quite right here.

Montreal Typical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:57 AM
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Tavares wasn't the most visible player out there, but it doesn't change the fact that he was excellent.

Toews has no business being even close to the top 10. He had a good shootout... and that's it. For the rest of the tournament, he was good, but not exceptional by any means. There wouldn't even have been a shootout had Price not been exceptionally good during the OT period... and during pretty much the entire game and tournament.

Price was the tournament MVP and Toews is listed ahead of him. Something isn't quite right here.
I guess everyone sees things differently. I can't remember which year, but one of them, Tavares seemed invisible, unclutch and lucky.

Price had real good statistics - but I remember thinking that he played in front of an awesome defense that didn't allow much close, really didn't face touch competition and made very few difficult saves for the bulk of the tournament (save for the OT period). He was very poised, cool and calm - but I felt it was more because the competition was not that great. Toews seemed to me (in the medal round) to be everywhere, capped by an amazing shootout.

walsy37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:45 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
I guess everyone sees things differently. I can't remember which year, but one of them, Tavares seemed invisible, unclutch and lucky.

Price had real good statistics - but I remember thinking that he played in front of an awesome defense that didn't allow much close, really didn't face touch competition and made very few difficult saves for the bulk of the tournament (save for the OT period). He was very poised, cool and calm - but I felt it was more because the competition was not that great. Toews seemed to me (in the medal round) to be everywhere, capped by an amazing shootout.
I actually would disagree, it was a strong Canadian team but IMO not as strong as either of the previous couple years. If I remember correctly, it was a younger team at the time for the tournament. FWIW, I thought that team leaned as hard on Carey vs the USA as I can remember any Canadian team needing to lean on their goalie in the last handful of tournaments. He was full value for his MVP.

dynastyREredux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I know this is very subjective, but Tavares in his 18 year old WJC blew me away. I thought he was incredible. Especially against the USA on new year's eve, he was a one man show.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 06:15 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

You hit the nail on the head. Toews was far superior to Tavares as Toews was dominant in all 3 zones whereas Tavares was largely invisible but ended up with more points. You have to remember that stats are everything on this board

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Toews was far superior to Tavares as Toews was dominant in all 3 zones whereas Tavares was largely invisible but ended up with more points. You have to remember that stats are everything on this board
Nobody on this thread has used stats in support of Tavares, just memories of his performance.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:03 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
A lot of people like to bash Price for not winning the shootout earlier. However, to me, I thought he played rather well in it. Even if he had trouble making the save that would win it all, whenever it came down to it that he could LOSE the shootout, he found a way to make the save.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Nobody on this thread has used stats in support of Tavares, just memories of his performance.
People's opinions are commonly formed by stats during a game let alone looking back years afterwards. Tavare's point total was more impressive than his overall play whereas Toews' totals were less impressive than his performance.

Hockey is a sport where you can be completely dominant in a game and be significantly outscored by another player who played an inferior game. Golf is the only sport where performance and results can be directly linked on a game by game basis.

Old
12-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post

Wasn't he in Dumb & Dumber?
I guess colour photography didn't come until the 1990's?

As much as is pains me to say this, I think Justin Pogge is way too low. I can't recall all my WJHC's but I do know he outperformed Waite and Price. He had 3 shutouts in 6 games, and was lights out brilliant.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:23 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I guess colour photography didn't come until the 1990's?

As much as is pains me to say this, I think Justin Pogge is way too low. I can't recall all my WJHC's but I do know he outperformed Waite and Price. He had 3 shutouts in 6 games, and was lights out brilliant.
Pogge had a very easy time of it as Team Canada played an extremely defensive style for that tournament. He deserves credit for making the saves that he had to but he was rarely challenged. It is difficult to penalize a goaltender for not carrying his team when he didn't need to but there simply wasn't much evidence to anoint his performance as brilliant.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:37 AM
habs93

Pogge play in the WJC influenced The Leafs as they kept him (since he was Canadian ?) over Rask who they traded to Boston & Pogge has been an average AHL goalie while Rask appears to become The Bruins number one goalie whenever The NHL resumes playing....

habs93 is offline   Reply With Quote