HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
12-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Well if you haven't already, I'd read my musings on sticks in the sticky up top. Just the first half dozen posts or whatever.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:27 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well if you haven't already, I'd read my musings on sticks in the sticky up top. Just the first half dozen posts or whatever.
Saw that you've been using the dt2. Can you post your thoughts on it so far?

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Detailed thoughts are earlier in the thread, but I've only used it for one game and I really liked it. Very light and balanced, great puck feel, nice kick to it, but of course it's 55 flex so pretty whippy feeling.

Old
12-06-2012, 08:54 PM
AIREAYE

Pro stock = made for professional level or Junior level players that have been returned to the manufacturer by the team, which is sold in bulk to retailers

Pro stock sticks could be identical to their retail counterparts, or completely different and just a paintjob.

Give us some of your preferences and we may be able to help you.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 09:08 PM
stamkosisboss

Well currently I am using the Blue Ice Nano as I said earlier, its a 90 flex and a P2 curve (which they comapre to a sakic curve) Im 5'11 150.

I like to be able to take any kind of shot, so I have heard that a mid curve is the best for that. I do like the stick but it worn down alot now and im hoping that you guys may know an upgrade. For the last 3 years I have been using blue ice so ive lost track of the brand name sticks and how they are.

stamkosisboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 06:27 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Arrive at my level

Am I one of the only ones who prefers a little bit heavier of a stick? I like that better (I use a mid-weight warrior swizzle because it was on sale 2 years ago.) But I feel very nice with it

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRangerFan View Post
Am I one of the only ones who prefers a little bit heavier of a stick? I like that better (I use a mid-weight warrior swizzle because it was on sale 2 years ago.) But I feel very nice with it
I don't mind the feel of a slightly heavier stick, like higher 400's, feels pretty solid. Over 500 and it starts to affect my puck handling and shooting and of course balance is important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamkosisboss View Post
Well currently I am using the Blue Ice Nano as I said earlier, its a 90 flex and a P2 curve (which they comapre to a sakic curve) Im 5'11 150.

I like to be able to take any kind of shot, so I have heard that a mid curve is the best for that. I do like the stick but it worn down alot now and im hoping that you guys may know an upgrade. For the last 3 years I have been using blue ice so ive lost track of the brand name sticks and how they are.
What's your budget? You like the Sakic curve?

Old
12-07-2012, 11:40 AM
stamkosisboss

Quote:
What's your budget? You like the Sakic curve?
Budget is up to about $150, I can go a bit over if I need too. And ya im enjoying that curve but if you have a better suggestion im all ears

Old
12-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well I'd look at a clearance top end stick about 85 flex with a Sakic type curve then. Better bang for the buck than a price-point.

Good ones out there are the Easton RS, Warrior Widow, Bauer Total One, Sherwood N12, Reebok Ai9...lots of good sticks out there.

Old
12-07-2012, 01:36 PM
AIREAYE

Don't rule out trying 75/77 sticks either.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 04:58 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
You're using pretty neutral kick sticks overall. I'd be curious to see how you like the Nexus vs maybe just a whippier stick overall. I also wonder if you'd hate a true low kick stick

Those old Dolo blades that were thick had awful feel but lasted forever.
I ended up with a 75 Flex Dynasty Kremlin. Chopped 6" off this bugger, a not as stiff as I expected. It feels like an 87 flex Bauer honestly. And for ~$110 with tax, I took it.

I've grown to really like the Kremlin, and I absolutely love the shaft shape/feel (similar to the old Dolo's) so I'll see tonight if this is my stick.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2012, 09:46 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamkosisboss View Post
Budget is up to about $150, I can go a bit over if I need too. And ya im enjoying that curve but if you have a better suggestion im all ears
I use the PM9 curve (also known as Easton Zetterberg / Forseberg, Bauer PM9 Malkin / Stamkos, Warrior Savard) and I think it's great for backhands because it's straighter and more closed than the Sakic.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
I use the PM9 curve (also known as Easton Zetterberg / Forseberg, Bauer PM9 Malkin / Stamkos, Warrior Savard) and I think it's great for backhands because it's straighter and more closed than the Sakic.
Yeah the Sakic/Backstrom isn't ideal for back-handers, but it doesn't completely kill them either. I'm going to go for the Kane curve next time to get a good balance of forehand/backhand action.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 09:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another game with the 55 flex Covert DT2. Missed warmups and then missed the net a ton. My shots come off quick but I'm missing my corners. I think it's a little too whippy and/or a little too long.

Switched to the Nexus 600 backup which is 3/4" shorter and a little more lag but closer on the corners...of course the puck feel isn't anywhere near as good.

Chopped the DT2 down to Nexus length at home. Feels so light and short now (just below bottom lip in bare feet). We'll see how it goes.

Old
12-17-2012, 10:58 AM
jsykes

Jarick,

I know you always use intermediate sticks for the flex, but did you hear that Graf is now coming out with a 65 flex ADULT stick?

The new Graf sticks are actually very nice, we've done well with them in our shop, they have good feel to them and are pretty durable. The fact they're coming out with a 65 flex in an adult stick, so you get the larger shaft and longer length, I thought might interest you.

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sounds interesting.

I've always thought 75 flex sticks could stand to be a little shorter and softer than they are.

Old
12-18-2012, 10:38 AM
Hacker10

I won a CCM U+CL Brent Burns pro stock in a raffle at a charity game I was in.

The thing has a sick hook to it, and is so light it feels like a toy. Feels like one hack in a pickup game would shatter it.

Hacker10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2012, 11:41 AM
PaperworkNinja

I'm trying the Gionta pattern from Warrior again, found a 70 flex Intermediate Dynasty. I like the Getzlaf/Lidstrom pattern for some things like long flip passes and rising wristers but the Gionta seems to give me better accuracy on snap shots, one-timers and backhand flips. I don't get why it works that way, my guess is I just need more practice.

PaperworkNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 02:36 AM
izzy3

After about one month of use my Dolo Dragon seems to be giving up on life. I have two bigger cracks in the blade now, and while it does work for stickhandling my shots are starting to fade, and there's the cracking sound if I flex the blade. We'll see when it calls quits.

Next will be the CCM CL 65 flex.

Last edited by izzy3: 12-19-2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: spelling
izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Those era Warrior blades were awful for durability. You could still chop off the blade and turn it into a tapered shaft. Is that an intermediate?

Old
12-20-2012, 03:35 AM
izzy3

No this is a wierd 75 senior, where I needed only 1" to chop off.

I'll see if I have the patience to tinker with the shaft, I do have 2 totalone shafts for roller, in any case, and I like them better than I do this one.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:42 AM
stamkosisboss

Just got the Bauer Vapour 60X for christmas, looks like a really nice stick, Stamkos curve on it. Bauer feels a bit stiffer than other sticks, its an 87 flex but feels way stiffer. Cant wait to use it!

Old
12-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Stickchecked

I'm looking to make the move to an intermediate stick and hopefully get a good deal tomorrow on Boxing Day. I see a Pro Hockey Life has the Reebok Ai9 Int for %50 off, $140 here in Canada. Just nervous jumping down to a 65 flex on top of going two inches shorter on my stick after trying it for just one game.

At 5'10" (145 pounds) it looks like the int sticks are exactly as tall as I would like, so there will be no wiggle room.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:04 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Used an Easton ST for as long as I can remember. Bought the 2011 version earlier this year for $99, liking it a lot so far, very durable. Just picked up a Reebok Ai9 the other day as they were more than 50% off. Trying it out in a couple days.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:27 PM
do0glas

Hey guys.

Right now I have an x60 87 flex pm9 curve cut down that is my go to.

I back that up with an Easton 65s intermediate 75 flex.

65s is sluggish on the release to me and it's really just a cheap back up.

Love the x60, but I think I'm ready to move on to a new curve. I've tried hall(65s) p92, and p88. The hall and p92 I'm not a huge fan of, but the pm9 blade seems too short or too small.

The p88 I have is on a ONE30, so it's hard to say of I like the curve a lot.

I'm sticking with Bauer, so what would you guys suggest as my next stick and curve.

Primarily I would say I try to score goals, but I'm not taking a lot of wrist shots in the high slot. I like having an easy back hand available to me, and I want good release when I dump the puck. My snap shot is a priority, and I don't want a curve that will slow the learning process. Price point of 150-200$ is my sweet spot. Thoughts?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote