HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
12-25-2012, 07:54 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
This might be the wrong thread...but here is my question:

Background: I used a Synergy Grip/Louisville Response Grip/original synergy when I played juniors/college. I also played with the Synergy STs and loved their durability/weight/etc.

Question: I play competitive now and my STs are dying. I'm looking for some sticks under $129 that are comparable to what I played with. I would love top of the line sticks but have no clue with which ones are good and which models flat out suck. I have no clue how many sticks were made after the Grip, Sicore, regular Synergy. I don't even care about who makes it.

If any of you have some good suggestions, please let me know. I could use a couple more twigs.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 08:10 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Background: I used a Synergy Grip/Louisville Response Grip/original synergy when I played juniors/college. I also played with the Synergy STs and loved their durability/weight/etc.

Question: I play competitive now and my STs are dying. I'm looking for some sticks under $129 that are comparable to what I played with. I would love top of the line sticks but have no clue with which ones are good and which models flat out suck. I have no clue how many sticks were made after the Grip, Sicore, regular Synergy. I don't even care about who makes it.

If any of you have some good suggestions, please let me know. I could use a couple more twigs.
Only thing I can recommend is picking up models of top of the line sticks that are a year or two old. Can get some good deals.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 08:58 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
Only thing I can recommend is picking up models of top of the line sticks that are a year or two old. Can get some good deals.
That's where I struggle. My short hiatus has me out of the loop that I don't know what those are.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:18 PM
do0glas

Bid on a twice used x60, 105$.

Any experience with the p106 curve?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I'm sticking with Bauer, so what would you guys suggest as my next stick and curve.

Primarily I would say I try to score goals, but I'm not taking a lot of wrist shots in the high slot. I like having an easy back hand available to me, and I want good release when I dump the puck. My snap shot is a priority, and I don't want a curve that will slow the learning process. Price point of 150-200$ is my sweet spot. Thoughts?
I'd go P88.

Quote:
Bid on a twice used x60, 105$.

Any experience with the p106 curve?
X60 is a great stick, only downside is the puck feel is a bit pingy.

P106 is like the PM9 with more loft, basically.

Quote:

The Easton Mako M5 is the latest ST if you like that. They are starting to go on clearance as well.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I spotted a Sherwood Nexon N8 with a white blade over the weekend. It felt a lot lighter and better balanced than the advertised weight (510 grams). I don't know how it shoots or the puck feel but just holding it in the store it felt like it might steal the ~$100 crown from the Nexus 600.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:03 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I spotted a Sherwood Nexon N8 with a white blade over the weekend. It felt a lot lighter and better balanced than the advertised weight (510 grams). I don't know how it shoots or the puck feel but just holding it in the store it felt like it might steal the ~$100 crown from the Nexus 600.
The whole Nexon line is priced amazingly. For 100 bucks the N8 is the best you'll find imo (not including sales) and the same can be said for the N12 at 179.99

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:27 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

What stick was the Easton Synergy EQ50? Was this the Easton Synergy after the Synergy series went away? Bad or good reviews? How about the Nexus 600 or the totalone from Bauer?

Last edited by ColePens: 12-26-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old
12-26-2012, 03:41 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Hey guys.

Right now I have an x60 87 flex pm9 curve cut down that is my go to.

I back that up with an Easton 65s intermediate 75 flex.

65s is sluggish on the release to me and it's really just a cheap back up.

Love the x60, but I think I'm ready to move on to a new curve. I've tried hall(65s) p92, and p88. The hall and p92 I'm not a huge fan of, but the pm9 blade seems too short or too small.

The p88 I have is on a ONE30, so it's hard to say of I like the curve a lot.

I'm sticking with Bauer, so what would you guys suggest as my next stick and curve.

Primarily I would say I try to score goals, but I'm not taking a lot of wrist shots in the high slot. I like having an easy back hand available to me, and I want good release when I dump the puck. My snap shot is a priority, and I don't want a curve that will slow the learning process. Price point of 150-200$ is my sweet spot. Thoughts?
As per your most recent post, I would say giving a heel curve a try might be a good spot. The P106 is a deeper and more open curve than the PM9, with a healthy pocket and flare in the mid heel. Try and imagine a cross between a P92 and a PM9. That's my favorite curve.

A P14 would be where to go if you were looking for more toe action and a P91A is if you might want to maximize loft. Personal preference obviously.

Quote:

Like Jarick mentioned, you'd do well with the M5. The EQ50 can be had for a good price at most places. The Synergy EQ line replaced the SE line (SE, then SE16 line)

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
What stick was the Easton Synergy EQ50? Was this the Easton Synergy after the Synergy series went away? Bad or good reviews? How about the Nexus 600 or the totalone from Bauer?
Synergy -> Synergy SL -> Synergy SE -> Synergy SE16 -> EQ50 -> Mako -> New Mako

Not much has changed really.

Nexus 600 is like the Total One but instead of a stiff flex near the blade it's stiff in the middle and softer at the top and bottom.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Conspiracy theory alert:

Remember how the Mako had the white blade? I recall seeing them in stores and it looked and felt EXACTLY like when I spray painted a stick white.

And I recall saying at the time I thought the EQ50 (with the visible blades) must have been such a bad seller that they spray painted and re-named them.

Of course they were supposed to be white to be harder to see against the ice...at least that was the marketing.

Well, look at the new Mako 2. It's got visible carbon fiber again with a black blade.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:34 PM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Anyone used a Reebok 6k sickick III? I'm looking at buying one but don't have the luxury of testing it out first. I currently shoot a Vapor X40 which I really like. But I'm feeling the need to add to my stick collection and Reebok is the one stick I have yet to buy...yet..

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:54 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Huge props to jarick. Gave me a lot of info. Bought two mako m5s for 99 each. Just went on sale at total hockey. Great deal to walk into.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:28 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Quote:
Huge props to jarick. Gave me a lot of info. Bought two mako m5s for 99 each. Just went on sale at total hockey. Great deal to walk into.
Sick deal. I got the 2011 Mako M5 (ST) for that price a couple months ago lol.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:00 PM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Anyone have any experience with the Graf Supra G15, or hear anything about it?

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Conspiracy theory alert:

Remember how the Mako had the white blade? I recall seeing them in stores and it looked and felt EXACTLY like when I spray painted a stick white.

And I recall saying at the time I thought the EQ50 (with the visible blades) must have been such a bad seller that they spray painted and re-named them.

Of course they were supposed to be white to be harder to see against the ice...at least that was the marketing.

Well, look at the new Mako 2. It's got visible carbon fiber again with a black blade.
So you're saying that you thought the Mako blades were just EQ50 blades painted white? My store only has the M5 blades so I never saw the actual "Mako" blade, therefore I can not attest to that.

Another question for Jarick, though: When you say you feel like a stick (X60 in your case) has "pingy" puck-feel, what do you mean by that? Do you mean that it requires softer hands when, say, receiving passes and whatnot? I ask because I have a TotalONE LE and I feel like it's pretty pingy lol. Also, I'm planning on grabbing an APX as my next stick and I've never fuxed with one... would you also consider them "pingy"?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Easiest way is to use a golf ball and do some stickhandling without tape.

Use a wood stick and the ball "sticks" to the blade. There aren't little vibrations and it's not bouncing off the blade.

Then try a cheap composite and the ball will bounce off the blade, it feels hollow, feels like plastic, might even feel like the blade is broken. That's "pingy" or "ceramic".

Some high end sticks will have a "hot" blade that feels like a cheap composite. There might be a lot of "pop" to it, but mostly it makes stickhandling and catching passes harder.

With a wood stick, you don't have to do much to catch a hard pass. Just hold on tight and get the puck on the blade. With a lively composite blade, the puck might just bounce off, so you have to deflect the puck where you want it to go, trap it against the ice, use one hand to deaden the pass, etc.

The golf ball though is telling for me. A good composite blade (like the Total One, high end Warriors, Easton's Mako) feels quick and light and you don't lose the golf ball when handling quickly. A cheap composite blade it's hard to tell where the ball is on the blade and I find I lose the ball handling quickly.

It's personal preference really, but most people like a soft feeling blade.

By the way, the Total One has about as soft a blade as you can find. Surprised you don't like it. The X:60 was very pingy feeling but the APX has a similar blade to the TO for better feel.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Stickchecked

So what's the deal with Source for Sports Bauer Vapor X:Shift and X:Velocity sticks? Looking at sticks yesterday, SfS is loaded with these sticks mixed in with all of the others.

I googled them and see that they are exclusive SfS models. The only online review I found was from Jarick a while back saying they are crap and they are damn expensive. His comment at the time:

Quote:
I believe the X Shift is a terrible SMU that's worth about $50 and I wouldn't play with it if you gave it to me for free.
And they are crap, it was the first stick I bought after arriving to Ottawa 4 years ago. Back then I admitted I didn't know much and they sold me the stick for a hefty price.

I take it for my backup but never use it. One of the very experienced guys at my pickup used it after breaking his and commented afterwards how terrible it handled.

Maybe they've improved over the years but I would recommend people steer clear. I just find an exclusive stick to be a bit questionable. Also, the prices I see online and at the store don't match up. The X:Shift sticks at the store had $200+ price tags before markdown while online the prices seem much lower.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 06:44 PM
AIREAYE

You got it, they're exclusive SMU (Special Make) products for SFS. Other major retailers/buying groups can get SMUs made for them as well. The easiest way to tell which stick fits where compared to the regular product line is to look at the regular price and find where it sits.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You got it, they're exclusive SMU (Special Make) products for SFS. Other major retailers/buying groups can get SMUs made for them as well. The easiest way to tell which stick fits where compared to the regular product line is to look at the regular price and find where it sits.
The regular price on the stick was like 240. No way does it fit there.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:23 PM
AIREAYE

That's weird, the X:Shift is an X:40/4.0 with a One80/70/75 blade surface while the Velocity appears to be an X:20/3.0.

The Shift should be priced at around 110. Maybe that Shift was an older model based off a higher end stick?

https://sourceforsports.com/bauer-vapor-x-shift

Old
12-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
That's weird, the X:Shift is an X:40/4.0 with a One80/70/75 blade surface while the Velocity appears to be an X:20/3.0.

The Shift should be priced at around 110. Maybe that Shift was an older model based off a higher end stick?

https://sourceforsports.com/bauer-vapor-x-shift
Ironic since I'm currently playing with both an X:40 and X4.0. I bought my X:Shift 4 years ago.

And I had mentioned in my original comment how the prices I remember seeing on the X:Shift sticks didn't match what I was seeing online.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:39 PM
do0glas

Hey all,

Lost my eBay bid on the x60 so I'm trying a two piece combo.

I found an x60 shaft... What blade goes well here, and how do I put it together?

I could theoretically buy an apx blade and still come in under 200, but id like to save more in this case. Any tips would be great.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:04 PM
AIREAYE

If it's a retail X:60 shaft, you'd be putting tapered blades in there. That would include things like the Reebok 11K, Easton Mako/SE16, APX/X:60 like you said, Warrior Dolomite/Dynasty, CCM U+CS, CCM Vector or U+, Harrow 300 etc.

Clearance Warriors seem to be the cheapest option among higher end tapered blades, followed by the Dynasty and Harrow 300. I personally have a Dynasty blade in my Dolo shaft and like the feel, although it is admittedly softer than other top end blades I've tried (in one piece form), not as soft as a mid-end stick though.

Old
12-28-2012, 12:39 AM
ponder

Quote:
Hey all,

Lost my eBay bid on the x60 so I'm trying a two piece combo.

I found an x60 shaft... What blade goes well here, and how do I put it together?

I could theoretically buy an apx blade and still come in under 200, but id like to save more in this case. Any tips would be great.
Quote:
If it's a retail X:60 shaft, you'd be putting tapered blades in there. That would include things like the Reebok 11K, Easton Mako/SE16, APX/X:60 like you said, Warrior Dolomite/Dynasty, CCM U+CS, CCM Vector or U+, Harrow 300 etc.

Clearance Warriors seem to be the cheapest option among higher end tapered blades, followed by the Dynasty and Harrow 300. I personally have a Dynasty blade in my Dolo shaft and like the feel, although it is admittedly softer than other top end blades I've tried (in one piece form), not as soft as a mid-end stick though.
As an avid shaft/blade user, I'll just add that for the best fit, it can be a good idea to stick with the same brand (i.e. pair a tapered Bauer shaft with a tapered Bauer blade). You certainly can mix and match, but sometimes the fit isn't perfect, and will require tape shims if the fit is loose, or even a bit of filing if the fit is too tight. If you stick with the same brand, then the fit is generally excellent. I find this to be especially true with tapered shaft/blades, the sizes seem a bit less uniform across brands than they are with standard shaft/blades.

If balance is important to you, you should definitely go for a high end blade, cheaper blades are heavy and will give your stick awful balance. Bauer X:60/Apx blades are super light, but can be a touch pricey. Agreed with AIREAYE about the Warrior Dynasty blades, they're pretty good, especially if you like a softer feel, but they aren't as light as an X60 blade. BASE make good tapered blades too (not a fan of their shafts or OPS sticks, but the blades are nice), lightweight and durable, and they're available in an extremely wide range of curves/lies as well.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote