HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Mike Mckee - biggest goon prospect?

Old
12-13-2012, 11:21 AM
newfy

vCash: 500
Mike Mckee - biggest goon prospect?

Hes a wings pick from the 5th round last year I believe. He led the USHL in fights last season, and is one off the lead this year. Hes 6'4, 240lbs so he would be pretty huge even in the NHL.

Hes currently on his second suspension of the year and has 156 pims in 17 games, on pace to break the league record. Its tough to find a lot of footage of him but heres a video of him fighting another scrappy guy who is 6'6

Only guy I can think of whose looking to have more of a goon season recently is Darren Kramer with almost 50 fights in the WHL

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 12:44 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Here's my list of the best enforcer prospects (no particular order):

Derek Mathers
Cody Beach (enforcer or grinder)
Jamie Devane
Luke Gazdic
Josh Caron
Brandon Mashinter (enforcer or grinder)
Dylan McIlrath (enforcer or shutdown defenseman)
Harry Young
Eric Gryba (enforcer or shutdown defenseman)
Mark Borowiecki (enforcer or two-way defenseman)

I'm probably missing a few more prospects.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 01:38 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
Here's my list of the best enforcer prospects (no particular order):

Derek Mathers
Cody Beach (enforcer or grinder)
Jamie Devane
Luke Gazdic
Josh Caron
Brandon Mashinter (enforcer or grinder)
Dylan McIlrath (enforcer or shutdown defenseman)
Harry Young
Eric Gryba (enforcer or shutdown defenseman)
Mark Borowiecki (enforcer or two-way defenseman)

I'm probably missing a few more prospects.
Johnny McGuire , Krammer , Samuel Morin , Samuel Noreau ,

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Johnny McGuire , Krammer , Samuel Morin , Samuel Noreau ,
McGuire isn't drafted and probably never will be. Morin isn't drafted yet and doesn't fight all that much in comparison to a "goon"

However, the leafs have 3, or 4 up and coming goons. Broll, Devane and I think some other guy.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:50 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I was stunned when the Wings drafted him. Obviously he's built like a truck but he has horrible feet and doesn't move the puck well. There's a reason he was passed over in 2011.

That said, I thought being drafted by an organization like Detroit would lead him to take the next step in his 2nd season in the USHL and get him away from the goonery and downright savage antics on the ice and re-focus his energy on learning how to improve aspects of his game in the defensive zone and his skating.

But clearly that hasn't happened.

He's still every bit of a thug as last year (granted, that's what the fanbase feeds off of in Lincoln), been suspended twice, and leads the next closest player by 56 in penalty minutes.

Maybe not being able to fight in college will finally help him and Andy Murray can get the best out of him when he goes to Western Michigan.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 03:59 PM
bud12

Quote:
Hes a wings pick from the 5th round last year I believe. He led the USHL in fights last season, and is one off the lead this year. Hes 6'4, 240lbs so he would be pretty huge even in the NHL.

Hes currently on his second suspension of the year and has 156 pims in 17 games, on pace to break the league record. Its tough to find a lot of footage of him but heres a video of him fighting another scrappy guy who is 6'6
not a good thing for him!!!!!

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2012, 06:05 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I was stunned when the Wings drafted him. Obviously he's built like a truck but he has horrible feet and doesn't move the puck well. There's a reason he was passed over in 2011.

That said, I thought being drafted by an organization like Detroit would lead him to take the next step in his 2nd season in the USHL and get him away from the goonery and downright savage antics on the ice and re-focus his energy on learning how to improve aspects of his game in the defensive zone and his skating.

But clearly that hasn't happened.

He's still every bit of a thug as last year (granted, that's what the fanbase feeds off of in Lincoln), been suspended twice, and leads the next closest player by 56 in penalty minutes.

Maybe not being able to fight in college will finally help him and Andy Murray can get the best out of him when he goes to Western Michigan.
I've always read hes pretty fast for his size which makes me think he'll be converted to forward but I agree the NCAA is the way for him to go and actually get a shot at the NHL.

If he can become a fast skater with that frame he could become the 13th forward who just runs everyone for the wings. He just switched to defense a couple years ago

Old
12-13-2012, 08:01 PM
MonsterSurge

No, he's not. I like him, but he would get destroyed by the OHL/WHL/Q guys. McKee is one scary SOB though.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Bruise Bros 2426

I was pleasantly surprised that Detroit drafted him. I don't know much about guys outside of the NHL and (now) AHL. All you need to know is that this guy has the mean streak that Detroit has been missing. When will he head off to WMU? I thought he was supposed to start there this fall? College hockey will hopefully help him round out his overall game, especially skating, with the lack of fighting at the NCAA level.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 02:59 PM
JayRoadkill

Tough SOB

I remember playing against him when he played for Newmarket AA about 6-7 years ago. He was tough back then too.

JayRoadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 04:37 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
No, he's not. I like him, but he would get destroyed by the OHL/WHL/Q guys. McKee is one scary SOB though.
What makes you so sure? I've watched him lay a beating to plenty of guys and hes 6'4, 240lbs. I'm not sayinghe would never lose a fight to the top dogs in other leagues but he could definitely hang with the big boys and probably be considered arguably the toughest player in any of those leagues or at least a dominant heavyweight with a couple guys maybe better.

I guess I'm asking is which guys are you so sure from those leagues would absolutely destroy him?

And the point of this thread isnt me saying hes the best fighter or toughest guy (although I tihnk hes probably up there) but more also to point out his antics. Multiple suspensions, all those pims etc. Is there anyone more of a meat head?

Last edited by newfy: 12-15-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old
12-23-2012, 01:56 PM
JimLaheyprobert

mckee would destroy anyone in the ohl/whl/q, i bet he cud hang with fighters in the ahl

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2012, 04:17 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLaheyprobert View Post
mckee would destroy anyone in the ohl/whl/q, i bet he cud hang with fighters in the ahl
lol yeah.....

Old
12-24-2012, 12:20 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
lol yeah.....
Dont agree with what you replied to but I would be interested in seeing who people think he would get absolutely destroyed by in the CHL.

How you can say a 6'4, 240 lb kid who fights often would get destroyed against other juniors is beyond me

Old
12-24-2012, 12:31 PM
bud12

^^^^ He would definitly hang with them but its more difficult in the chl. Do you remember Andrew Conboy, he was the badess in the ushl and look what he became. Guys in this league are generaly softer and less tough, so he face less competition and look tougher......and for the ahl thing, I think I don't have to talk about it

Old
12-24-2012, 03:51 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Quote:
^^^^ He would definitly hang with them but its more difficult in the chl. Do you remember Andrew Conboy, he was the badess in the ushl and look what he became. Guys in this league are generaly softer and less tough, so he face less competition and look tougher......and for the ahl thing, I think I don't have to talk about it
This. Brandon Bollig, Ryan Schnell, Andrew Conboy, Stu Bickel, Matt Clackson and Jared Boll were good fighters when they played in the USHL. But they never developed into legit heavyweights in the professional league.

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 05:00 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
He is the best USHL fighter I have seen in a long time. Plus his stength is already pro level according to the people that were at summer camp. Fischer said he would already be the strongest Wing in terms of what weights he lifts and the sheer power he has. I am sure he would come across more guys that could throw in the CHL, but I think he would handle himself quite well. He is a tough kid and he enjoys it, wherever he goes he is going to square up with the best they can offer. My guess is he won't lose a lot, but I still think he is a very rough project, he is going to have to be a lot better everywhere else in his game to make a decent pro career and I mean AHL at this point not even NHL.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 09:46 AM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
He is the best USHL fighter I have seen in a long time. Plus his stength is already pro level according to the people that were at summer camp. Fischer said he would already be the strongest Wing in terms of what weights he lifts and the sheer power he has. I am sure he would come across more guys that could throw in the CHL, but I think he would handle himself quite well. He is a tough kid and he enjoys it, wherever he goes he is going to square up with the best they can offer. My guess is he won't lose a lot, but I still think he is a very rough project, he is going to have to be a lot better everywhere else in his game to make a decent pro career and I mean AHL at this point not even NHL.
sure, a guy that is 240lbs with a athletic body will be stronger than a 200lbs guy generaly but strength in a fight make minimal impact if you don't use it at your advantage or if you fight a guy that know what he do. Scott Parker wasn't strong at all but was one of the better in this area. I just hope for wings fan and fight fan that Mckee make it to the big club so we can enjoy watching him. Is body frame look alot like Kassian no?

Old
12-25-2012, 12:23 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
good comparison in conboy who is 6'3 but a little lighter. he went to Michigan state after and wasn't really allowed to fight. he played for habs farm team in hamilton but was absolutely not a heavyweight - he was OK as a middleweight but never cracked habs lineup - was eventually released and now playing in the ECHL

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:43 PM
bud12

^^^^ yup! and its sad because the guy wasn't a bad player and he was able to throw vicious hit and was a ****ing pest lol

Old
12-25-2012, 10:09 PM
JimLaheyprobert

Quote:
lol yeah.....
when i said ahl i didn't mean he could take on the toughest guys in the ahl i meant he could hang around as an 19 year old and win a few fights with guys who challenge him. Obviously if he took on a 27 plus goon with fighting experience he would lose, but saying that just because he is in the ushl he can not hang with people in the chl is crazy. The guy is 6'4 240 with a mean streak and he can throw em. Most fighters in the NHL are not that size let alone the chl.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:04 AM
bud12

size is overrated
Steve Mckenna say hello

one of the best this year in the ahl is Brett Gallant and he's 6'0'' and 185lbs

Old
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
size is overrated
Steve Mckenna say hello

one of the best this year in the ahl is Brett Gallant and he's 6'0'' and 185lbs
Sort of, but the best fighter usually has a lot of it and skills on top. It doesn't mean he wins everything, but McKee has a lot of power in his hands. He wins with a lot of leverage and power and then keeps the guy where he wants him while pounding away with his reach.

You can be a smaller guy and be successful, but when you combine the size factor if the guy actually turns in to a legit fighter it is a big deal.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:52 PM
bud12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Sort of, but the best fighter usually has a lot of it and skills on top. It doesn't mean he wins everything, but McKee has a lot of power in his hands. He wins with a lot of leverage and power and then keeps the guy where he wants him while pounding away with his reach.

You can be a smaller guy and be successful, but when you combine the size factor if the guy actually turns in to a legit fighter it is a big deal.
yes, I agree, but Mckee could face better competition in the chl and we could see if is really good or just ok.

Old
12-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
This. Brandon Bollig, Ryan Schnell, Andrew Conboy, Stu Bickel, Matt Clackson and Jared Boll were good fighters when they played in the USHL. But they never developed into legit heavyweights in the professional league.
As legit heavyweights go in today's NHL, I would say Jared Boll is one.

There aren't many and the bar is now set much much lower.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote