HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Fleury to Chicago

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2012, 08:05 PM
TheRollingPuck
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Yep, two Cup finals appearances, one where he won the cup, certainly is worse than Crawford. Come on man, take the blinders off, aside from a bad series last year against Philly last year, Fleury has been solid come playoff time.
He hasn't been the same since the Cup win. His overall body of work considered...

- Inexperienced against Ottawa
- Conn Smythe worthy in '08
- Dependable in '09
- Inconsistent against Ottawa/Montreal
- Disappointing against Tampa
- Embarrassing against Philly

However, what has Crawford done that sets him apart from Fleury?

Last edited by TheRollingPuck: 12-25-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old
12-25-2012, 08:08 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
In the 3 years since the Pens won the cup, his playoff save % has been below .900 in all 3 playoffs.
Great. Now what has Crawford won in the playoffs? One whole series as a pro, and that wasn't in the NHL. And he's only had one season where he was good enough that his team wasn't looking for an upgrade in goaltending, and that wasn't even last year. Anyone who doesn't see that Fleury is a big upgrade on Crawford is sadly mistaken.

Old
12-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Great. Now what has Crawford won in the playoffs? One whole series as a pro, and that wasn't in the NHL. And he's only had one season where he was good enough that his team wasn't looking for an upgrade in goaltending, and that wasn't even last year. Anyone who doesn't see that Fleury is a big upgrade on Crawford is sadly mistaken.
Fleury has done nothing in 3 years to show that he's better than Crawford.

If it is an upgrade at all, all signs point toward it being quite a negligible one at best.

Old
12-25-2012, 08:25 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post

If it is an upgrade at all, all signs point toward it being quite a negligible one at best.
what has Crawford done to prove that he is on Fleurys level?

Old
12-25-2012, 09:03 PM
zytz
lumberjack

As a Hawks fan here's how I see it- Fleury has some great natural talent but very obviously suffers from issues with consistency, and given the past 3-ish years maybe motivation? However I think at his best he can perform at a level well beyond Crawford. Crawford relies heavily on his technical game... basically all the things a goalie can be taught. At his peak, we can expect a consistent and reliable above average goaltender, but as last season showed Crow gets in his own head and psychs himself out. I think he has very high personal expectations for his performance and if he doesn't meet those standards it gets in his head and his whole game suffers.

So we have 2 goalies, both with consistency problems, both with the potential to overcome those issues (IMO), but one who is a clear favorite in natural talent. No one really knows if either will bounce back, so really almost everything is equal in my mind, except that Fleury has the possibility that his natural talent can cover up some of his issues or mistakes. To my mind, that makes Fleury the more valuable goalie. Not worth Saad, and definitely not worth Sharp.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:07 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post

You would think Crawford should be the one to prove he`s better than Fleury considering what Fleury has accomplished. I guess it doesn`t work that way in Chicago, ha ha.

But seriously, what has Crawford done to prove he is on Fleury`s level?

Old
12-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Intense Rage

Quote:
You would think Crawford should be the one to prove he`s better than Fleury considering what Fleury has accomplished. I guess it doesn`t work that way in Chicago, ha ha.

But seriously, what has Crawford done to prove he is on Fleury`s level?
Whats Fleury's level exactly? And why should we care what he accomplished 3 years ago? We will not cripple our forward depth by adding what the OP suggests to get a goaltender three years removed from a good season. That certainly does not work in Chicago.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:23 PM
WarriorofTime

The Blackhawks aren't trading a top Forward and top prospect for an average Goaltender who is barely an upgrade over Crawford.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:29 PM
WarriorofTime

Fleury's not better than Osgood or Niemi. All three are/were average NHL goaltenders who happened to be on great teams.

Winning a cup as a goaltender is highly overrated. Give me guys like Rinne, Lundqvist, and Kiprusoff who don't have Cups (yet) but are solid every single season over a scrub like Fleury who lucky enough to play on the team with the two best Centers in Hockey.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:58 PM
TheRollingPuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Fleury's not better than Osgood or Niemi. All three are/were average NHL goaltenders who happened to be on great teams.
Fleury/Niemi

Quote:
Winning a cup as a goaltender is highly overrated.
Yep, but contributing to one is kind of important.

Quote:
Give me guys like Rinne, Lundqvist, and Kiprusoff who don't have Cups (yet) but are solid every single season over a scrub like Fleury who lucky enough to play on the team with the two best Centers in Hockey.
The team in front is certainly indicative of what a goalie does. Excellent point.

I'd take Rinne, Lundqvist, and Kiprusoff over Fleury as well. Not on the basis of winning teams or Cup rings, but on the basis of performance. They are better goaltenders. Plain and simple.

Old
12-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I wouldn't do it from the Hawks perspective, especially considering Fleury's annual inconsistency and cap hit

12-25-2012, 10:15 PM
JetsWillFly4Ever

Fleury is getting **** on hard. The guy disappointed last playoffs but when Crosby and Malkin were out he was a huge component of them making the playoffs, feels like that was 10 years ago or something around here...

Terrible proposal, but Crawford needs to do something other than be mediocre behind a great team who plays a solid defensive game to be on Fleury's level. Pittsburgh is one hell of a team, but Fleury's stats will always be deflated due to the fact that they give up a higher amount of good scoring chances per shot against.

I could see this not even being an argument in a few years if Fleury can get it going again, but I have always been a fan.

Old
12-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Be pretty much just as bad.

No, that really is the answer. Honestly, Crawford may actually have a small edge. Fleury is awful.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
Pens:

Luongo

Hawks:

Fluery

Canucks:

Sharp
Only in our dreams does that happen. If in some deluded world Chicago did entertain moving Sharp for a goalie. They would want Schneider+ from us. Frankly, if it were possible. I'd be all over it. Kesler and Sharp together would be spectacular.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:20 AM
TheRollingPuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsWillFly4Ever View Post
Fleury is getting **** on hard. The guy disappointed last playoffs but when Crosby and Malkin were out he was a huge component of them making the playoffs, feels like that was 10 years ago or something around here...
He was a reason the Pens remained competitive without Crosby and Malkin. Yet, he was a factor in them blowing a 3-1 series lead to Tampa.

Quote:
Terrible proposal, but Crawford needs to do something other than be mediocre behind a great team who plays a solid defensive game to be on Fleury's level. Pittsburgh is one hell of a team, but Fleury's stats will always be deflated due to the fact that they give up a higher amount of good scoring chances per shot against.
I detest it when people use that argument against Fleury. So I wouldn't use it on Crawford either. There have been games where Crawford has had to bail his team out, just like Fleury.

Quote:
I could see this not even being an argument in a few years if Fleury can get it going again, but I have always been a fan.
I have no doubt that Fleury can be a good goaltender. The question is: will he? If he can regain form, then I'd definitely put him ahead of Crawford.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsWillFly4Ever View Post
Fleury is getting **** on hard.
Result of poor talent evaluation. Evidenced by comparisons both stylistically and in terms of value to club.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:42 AM
TrillMike

I don't think Chi does this.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:11 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Crawford = Fleury (some might argue Crawford is better at this point)
Saad > Jeffrey
Sharp >>>> Kennedy.

This proposal is horrible for the Hawks.
Ha ha ha what

Old
12-26-2012, 12:18 PM
TheRollingPuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Ha ha ha what
Ha ha ha. What?

Old
12-26-2012, 12:22 PM
skywarp75

i dont know a lot about Crawford, but he was excellent in the playoffs agains the nucks. Game 7 he made some amazing saves. He was really battling with everything he had.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

This bleating is what you get when fans of teams take things personally.

Neither team does this, nor should they in the first place.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
does this matter when the main pieces are Sharp and Saad? No
What has Fleury done in the last 2-3 years that makes him worth giving up Sharpy?

Hawks would get a goalie that is about as good as what they have but is paid way more than what they already have.

Easy pass

Old
12-26-2012, 02:15 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Pens get:

Crawford
Sharp
Saad

Hawks get:

Fleury
Kennedy
Jeffrey
As a Blues fan, I love it!

Old
12-26-2012, 02:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 50
I'd take him for a couple mid-level prospects. Taking the contract would basically be the return for the Pens. They are better off just riding it out.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:54 PM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

I don't know how anyone can look at Fleurys career stats and argue that he is anything but a top 15-20 starter at best.

Closed Thread