HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Create the best line of all time

Old
12-19-2012, 12:43 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
I'm playing guys where i want.
Lidstrom (The Captain)

Yzerman is "The Captain".

Lidstrom is "The Perfect Human".

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:25 PM
MVP36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Nope.

Speed:

Bure/Fedorov/Gartner
Orr/Coffey
Hextall (if we're talking skating)
Just an opinion, not looking for a definitive right or wrong answer here. But I agree with the changes you made regarding Coffey and Hextall. I blanked and threw in Hasek but Hextall is certainly better there. I'll keep Mogilny based on the Team USSR magic he had with Fedorov and Bure.

Last edited by MVP36: 12-19-2012 at 01:39 PM.
MVP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Weztex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
With everybody in their position?

Ted Lindsay/Dickie Moore - Wayne Gretzky - Gordie Howe
Bobby Orr -- Doug Harvey
Patrick Roy

With Centers on wing?

Mario Lemieux - Wayne Gretzky - Gordie Howe
Bobby Orr -- Doug Harvey
Patrick Roy
Going by position, LW may be the most set in stone answer. I'm guessing it just slipped your mind or it is too busy chilling in God Made Me's avatar.

Weztex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Hammer Time

Simply all time best at every position?

R. Hull - Gretzky - Howe
Orr - Harvey
Roy

If we're talking actual lineups that played together, then probably:

Olmstead-Béliveau-M. Richard
Harvey-T. Johnson
Plante

or perhaps

Krutov-Larionov-Makarov
Fetisov-Kasatonov
Tretiak

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Sens Rule

After the 1987 Canada Cup I couldn't possibly make a line without 66 and 99 on it. But who else to go with? The obvious answer is Howe. The ambidextrous any era 2 way power winger. I would tell him to mess up anyone that messes with 66 or 99. And besides that make space and be ready for anything at any time. On defence I would go with Orr (obviously!). The only real choice is the other defenceman. The first 4 players are so obvious. So I make this choice thinking that I want this unit to play 30 minutes a night. In any era. The tight 50's and 60's. The more free and tough 70's. The high octane 80's. Dead puck era and post lock out cap era parity times. I am looking at a unit I would match up vs any dynasty in any era and play for over half the game. I am assuming that the other units on my team would be rather weak. That I would want this unit out vs the best and 2nd best units of the opposing team. So who do you pick? Potvin? Tough as nails great on both ends of the ice. Bourque. Perfect balance of defence and offence? Lidstrom? Who you just tell to play the defensive role as Orr moves into the play? Harvey? The leader of a sqaud. The guy that sets up the offence going up the ice and slows the game down to his speed?

I thought about this quite a bit since the thread started. And I will choose a defenceman that is not the 2nd best ever. I already have the 4 best players EVER in my unit. What player best compliments having the best 4 players EVER? It would be easy to say Bourque... he is my second choice. Harvey is amazing but unneeded to slow things down when I have 3 of the most cerebral players ever already. Shore is too crazy!

So I go with Coffey. Maybe only the 10th or so best defenceman but the best compliment to Mario and Gretzky in actual play. A part of every 200 point and near 200 point season ever amassed. The second best skating defenceman EVER after Orr. Imagine having the two fastest skaters pretty much ever on your defence? I would tell Orr... he is the defensive conscience. Go with the play but assume you might have to be the last guy back... you have Mario and Gretzky and Howe. You can press a lot... but realize your partner is doing the same thing too. And you know... I play like the 80's Oilers. I know we are gonna get scored on sometimes but who cares.. we will massively outscore the opposition.

A note. Coffey was on ice for 3095 goals for in his career. And only 2018 against. And he played a ton on the PK. Those numbers are astoundingly good all-time and really shows how truly he dominated for his career.

In nets I go Roy. I love Hasek... he is the best ever... when he is not losing his ****... but he did a few times and so I pick Roy. Roy is cocky... he can handle being on the best unit ever. And sometimes being the last line of defence in front of the best 5 offensive players possible. Wanting to be a cross era best of the best unit and team. I trust Roy to be fearless enough to play in maskless times and to dominate in the big goalie equipment times. He was amazing as a rookie and early in his career with a tiny mask and little equipment and still the best when it was unhurtable michelin men in goal. And assuming my other lines and units are weak... I stock those lines with the best defensive guys I can manage to pay and hope and pray that Roy can stop the chances the 25-30 minutes the best unit ever is not on the ice.

So I have Mario as my sniper... My best goal scorer and also a playmaker, puck owning massively sized giant. Gretzky in the role of Gretzky!!!! Howe to play as a two way winger. To go in the corners... protect everyone... and also an ambidexterous winger who would be able to finish or keep up mentally with 66 and 99. Also Howe is the guy in the crease. The guy to screen the net and insert his elbows if it is needed to do so to stay in the crease. Orr is Orr. Except with a uniquely talented unit. Both Howe and Mario play the Esposito role. Gretzky helps to play Orr's own role. Orr... I think is smart enough to play into the perfect role of being part of the offence when it is the time to... and to be the last line of defence... or be prepared to be... all the time. I think this unit cements Orr as... by far... the best defensive player EVER. He never got to play that role... really. He would in this unit. Mario... he had problems with focus and training and practice and such early in his career. On this unit with Howe and Gretzky and Orr... he would strive for their level of professionallism. Coffey with his speed and vision... and his little bit of being an agitator. Coffey is no wallflower. Howe is mean and cunning. Orr is tough as anyone. Mario physically fought threw a lot. I think on this unit he might be a little more tough... with Howe at his back. Gretzky would not need to worry for a second that anyone would cheapshot him.

Roy has the ego... the greatness.

So in this LONG post... really the only thing to defend is Coffey. But it is not THAT hard to defend if you ask the question... what can you do if the two defencemen you are facing are the two fastest and best skaters EVER!!!! I think in transition and puck possession having Coffey as almost a second Orr is just too enticing. The speed and the intelligence and the ability to play with the best of the best is why I choose the team. Mario was great with Jagr and Coffey and Gretzky for a bit. Abel-Lindsay dominated as a dynasty line with Howe. Orr-Esposito... and 4 or 5 other Bruins dominated the offensive numbers for like 5 Bruins seasons. Roy is the man.

I think that:

Mario-Gretzky-Howe
Orr-Coffey
Roy

is pretty much perfect.

LW - Mario C- Gretzky RW Howe
D- Orr

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:36 PM
ResilientBeast
MLFH Edmonton Titans

Without using the big four (Howe, Orr, Gretzky, lemieux)

Lindros - Forsberg - Jagr
Pronger - Stevens
Hasek

That top line is dangerous offensively and physically with a dominant defensive pair backing them up.

ResilientBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:41 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Pretty boring thread , there's already 3 forward and one D-man that are locks , which leaves a goalie and another defenseman.

Personally , that would be:

Bowman
Lemieux-Gretzky-Howe
Orr-Harvey
Roy

Without the Big 4:

Bowman
Lindsay-Béliveau-Lafleur
Bourque-Potvin
Roy

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote