HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 06:56 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
I'm not Austrian, but I get the feeling Derrick Brassard might be in a little trouble.
http://www.salzburg24.at/ec-red-bull...echtet/3440769

Love how the Google translation refers to the club as "she" LOL
http://translate.google.com/translat...440769&act=url

Last edited by leesmith: 12-18-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old
12-18-2012, 07:26 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Look at that jersey and helmet, can you blame him?

12-19-2012, 01:05 AM
jacketsinDC

i gave in and paid for NHL Vault to watch the shining moments of blue jackets history / pretend there is a season by watching old games.

trouble is every game i pick starts with 2-4 goals going in against mason before the first period is over.

it is fun to watch rick nash play excited though and hit people (in 2009)

has anyone heard anything about anisimov's plans? is there any concern he will not be returning next season to do his time in columbus, ohio?

merry christmas all

Old
12-19-2012, 01:07 AM
jacketsinDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Look at that jersey and helmet, can you blame him?
i'd like to see him and mackenzie with the backwards helmet photoshopped on the bench together.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:24 AM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Ok so I've had quite a bit of scotch and I'm gonna blow off a little steam and then I'll get out of everyone's hair.

THIS LOCKOUT SUCKS. And I miss coming here multiple times a day to talk hockey.

When I was in ND, watching the CBJ made me feel not so far away from home. Now that I'm even further, marooned, in the middle of the Pacific... I have no such comfort. And that blows.

That is all.

(Merry Christmas)

Old
12-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow

Evander Kane with a great example of the doing literally the last thing you should do during a lockout.

12-19-2012, 12:34 PM
EspenK

rut roh

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...nd-mid-january

Last edited by EspenK: 12-19-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old
12-19-2012, 12:50 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Thanks, interesting ready. Although your link is broke. I fixed it in the quote.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:07 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Thanks, interesting read. Although your link is broke. I fixed it in the quote.
Thanks-and to return the favor i changed ready to read in the quote.

Looks like we're all set now.

Old
12-19-2012, 01:36 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketsinDC View Post
i gave in and paid for NHL Vault to watch the shining moments of blue jackets history / pretend there is a season by watching old games.

trouble is every game i pick starts with 2-4 goals going in against mason before the first period is over.

it is fun to watch rick nash play excited though and hit people (in 2009)

has anyone heard anything about anisimov's plans? is there any concern he will not be returning next season to do his time in columbus, ohio?

merry christmas all
Nobody knows. But if the lockout ends and there is a season this year, he is contractually obligated to return.

Old
12-20-2012, 08:10 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Thanks-and to return the favor i changed ready to read in the quote. .
lol, thanks.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:12 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 50
The posts in this thread, and the Blue Jackets forums are coming less frequently. Seems like people have stopped caring. And I think that presents a huge problem for the Columbus market if and when the NHL gets started back up. Columbus will be looking at historically low attendance marks.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
The posts in this thread, and the Blue Jackets forums are coming less frequently. Seems like people have stopped caring. And I think that presents a huge problem for the Columbus market if and when the NHL gets started back up. Columbus will be looking at historically low attendance marks.
I don't think Columbus is nearly alone in that aspect, as most every team (except for the ones in the HUGE markets, you know, where it's actually hard to get a ticket) will suffer some sort of fan dropoff from this lockout.

The league needs to get it's **** together and get this thing done. The complacency by both sides is getting a little bit ridiculous.

Old
12-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Quote:
I'd argue that the lack of talk is more a product of their being nothing to talk about.

Not sure this place is really a good barometer of the fanbase.

Old
12-24-2012, 07:49 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Evander Kane with a great example of the doing literally the last thing you should do during a lockout.
Hey Evander, you know Mike, right?

Old
12-24-2012, 10:22 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:
I'd argue that the lack of talk is more a product of their being nothing to talk about.

Not sure this place is really a good barometer of the fanbase.
+1

There's just nothing to say.

Even 'news' about the lockout is quite sparse...the writers have sort of moved on too. When it's resolved, it's resolved.

I honestly don't see this having a huge effect on attendance, or at least any more effect than finishing 30th would have.

Old
12-25-2012, 06:02 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGenius View Post
+1

There's just nothing to say.

Even 'news' about the lockout is quite sparse...the writers have sort of moved on too. When it's resolved, it's resolved.

I honestly don't see this having a huge effect on attendance, or at least any more effect than finishing 30th would have.
If anything, this lockout gave Columbus a glimpse of what it would be like if we ever lost the Blue Jackets. You've already seen the whining about all the lost tax revenue and the businesses down in the Arena District. But it seems, as a city, like we've lost more than that.

Old
12-25-2012, 09:10 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 50
I would disagree. I believe that the CBJ & the NHL will see a drop in attendance. Time will tell.

Old
12-26-2012, 06:02 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
To make a political analogy if I can, survey after survey has shown that people hate Congress as a whole, blame it for the all of the nations problems, but their congresscritter, he/she is ok, and not the problem.

Its the same situation here. From a fans perspective, it would be best if the league suffered for this lockout. If owners lost money, players saw the cap go down etc. But nobody wants that to happen to their team. In Canada, the teams will just keep on making the same money as if nothing ever happened. You can do that when you have waiting lists for season tickets miles (well I guess it would be kilometers) long.

In the US, some markets are going to be severely hurt, and Columbus is going to be one of them. I don't think there is still enough revenue sharing in the current proposal to make much of a difference. The lease deal helps, but when the team was losing 20 million in previous years, that deficit will be hard to erase when you factor in the lower attendance that is sure to arise from this lockout.

So while I may wish ill on the league as a whole, I have a hard time doing actions that hurt my team directly. Maybe it is because I still live in this state, and care about the economic benefits that a pro franchise brings to Ohio's largest city. Maybe because I still can't look at the lease deal as a "sure thing" which will insure a team struggling to bring in fans, and losing money will never be lured away. (As a former Browns fan, relocation will always be a potential worry for me no matter how good the team is.) For me, the team is still something more than a team to watch on the Center Ice package. It is a place I can take my family and enjoy a game in person. And as much as I hate the current lockout situation, that is something I don't want to lose.
Worthy sentiments but you didn't address my critique of your plan to let these pirates keep your money while you wait for them to figure out how to raise ticket and concession prices on your family next year to pay for their arrogance.

You would lose nothing by asking for your money back, and might do your small part in letting them know your disgust. I had planned on taking in Tampa Bolt games this season. They are as unknown to me as the new and revolving-door Jackets are. I love hockey but I can live without it, and support local economies in many other ways rather than letting the NHL thieves hold onto my hard earned cash.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Thug

Quote:
I would disagree. I believe that the CBJ & the NHL will see a drop in attendance. Time will tell.
I don't think anyone would dispute that short-term, this will be the case. The average Monday night game against Edmonton, Wednesday night game against Anaheim, etc. will probably draw less than 10,000 for the not few seasons.

I just don't think it'll be all that permanent (assuming the team heads north in the standings at some point).

Old
12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
CBJ103

Quote:
I don't think anyone would dispute that short-term, this will be the case. The average Monday night game against Edmonton, Wednesday night game against Anaheim, etc. will probably draw less than 10,000 for the not few seasons.

I just don't think it'll be all that permanent (assuming the team heads north in the standings at some point).
Well, I would kind of dispute that. I think that in Columbus any attendance decrease due to the strike will be background noise compared to the effects of last season's debacle and however the team starts out during the first 6 weeks (whenever they play again). The first 6 weeks will feature sparse attendance due to last season. Attendance thereafter will depend on team performance. Another 2011-2012 and the place will be empty. Win early and look like a possible playoff team and the Columbus "fans" will come out of the woodwork.

In reality, the resolution of the "fiscal cliff" (or lack of resolution) - and it's possible effects on entertainment spending - may play more of a role in attendance than anything, but I will leave that out of this discussion.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ103 View Post
Well, I would kind of dispute that. I think that in Columbus any attendance decrease due to the strike will be background noise compared to the effects of last season's debacle and however the team starts out during the first 6 weeks (whenever they play again). The first 6 weeks will feature sparse attendance due to last season. Attendance thereafter will depend on team performance. Another 2011-2012 and the place will be empty. Win early and look like a possible playoff team and the Columbus "fans" will come out of the woodwork.

In reality, the resolution of the "fiscal cliff" (or lack of resolution) - and it's possible effects on entertainment spending - may play more of a role in attendance than anything, but I will leave that out of this discussion.
Interesting thoughts, especially the bolded part. Not to compare it to Ohio State football, but if the NCAA were, for some reason, to shut down for part (or all) of a season, would the fanbase there turn its back on the program and make them suffer? I would think not, with all of the years of success and national recognition. Winning breeds revenue for everyone ... if the team can get the ship righted, I think that goes a long way towards not only bringing back the die-hards, but also attracting new, fresh hockey fans.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:55 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Winning doesn't necessarily guarantee attendance. Phoenix and New Jersey are good examples of that. Of course, if it happens with the CBJ, it will be such a novelty that people will flock to it. Regardless, the team better have a fan-recovery plan ready to go.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:56 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Post #999

Old
12-26-2012, 09:56 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Post #1000 !

(sigh)

MOD
new thread here:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1312199

Last edited by SuperGenius: 12-27-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Closed Thread