HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

WJC Discussion- Wikstrand Watch!

Old
12-26-2012, 07:10 AM
benjiv1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Bobby Ryan ‏@b_ryan9
That Wikstrand looks good wearing number 9 on the point for Sweden. My PP partner stealing my number!

Ryan to the Sens - Garrioch article.
I guess they play together in Sweden?

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Aggen

Wikstrand plays for Mora IK, so does Bobby Ryan atm.

Aggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:16 AM
mianjo

Sweden up 3-0

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Spinkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Dj = j most of the time. Or do you pronounce djur (animal) with a D?
Oops totally forgot about that!

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Lindholm should be a top 5 pick, maybe a top 3 by the end of this tournament, he will open the eyes of non believers.
Crowded top 3 with Drouin, Barkov and Lindholm potentially making cases at this tournament.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:23 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Quick analysis of first:

Wikstrand is their best defender easily. He is so well poised out there; his positional hockey is outstanding, probably his best trait. Can dart out passes very accurately and join the rush when need be yet you'd find him first defender back in case the other team poses a threat to counter. On the first PP and first PK.

Unbelievable how we got him in the 7th round, if you told me this guy was a first round pick I'd believe you.

P.S. Elias Lindholm is amazing, WOW.

Off to bed, longggggg night/morning, haha. Hopefully someone can recap the 2nd and 3rds for me!
He doesn't look like a 7th round pick that's for sure.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say a sure-fire 1st, but I can't see a reason why he would drop all the way to the 7th.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:25 AM
mianjo

sweden up 4-0

mianjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
He doesn't look like a 7th round pick that's for sure.

I don't know if I would go so far as to say a sure-fire 1st, but I can't see a reason why he would drop all the way to the 7th.
If you're basing Wikstrand off these 3 games I think anyone saying this is anything but a player that should have went in the 1st round is just cautious of being called a homer. Most 1st rounders from last years draft aren't playing at the level he's played at over the first 3 and that goes for the 2nds and 3rds and on. We won't know if that's the case later on but that's the way he's playing in most of our 1st impressions.

pronman's also projected him as a 4th or 5th dman about a month ago and that could pretty well make him a guy some teams may have liked in the 1st. pronman's word is not gospel but we don't exactly have a wealth of independant scouts inside the industry giving us their opinion.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 12-26-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old
12-26-2012, 08:52 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
If you're basing Wikstrand off these 3 games I think anyone saying this is anything but a player that should have went in the 1st round is just cautious of being called a homer. Most 1st rounders from last years draft aren't playing at the level he's played at over the first 3 and that goes for the 2nds and 3rds and on. We won't know if that's the case later on but that's the way he's playing in most of our 1st impressions.

pronman's also projected him as a 4th or 5th dman about a month ago and that could pretty well make him a guy some teams may have liked in the 1st. pronman's word is not gospel but we don't exactly have a wealth of independant scouts inside the industry giving us their opinion.
It's not just about performance though. It's also about projectability of skills, and I'm not a good enough scout (and I don't watch enough games) to say that he should have been a 1st round pick for sure.

That being said, I don't think Vikstrand has the raw puck skills to be a top 15 pick. So the debate is whether he sneaks into the first round. I can't say that's for sure.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:54 AM
General Granny*

I have no idea how this guy got past the 2nd round at most.

Just amazed how he's always making the perfect play and very rarely makes a mistake. Also his patience with the puck and the vision is elite level, also showed some nice skill on the PP with nice backhand passes on the point.

The only weakness I found was somewhat his foot speed, if he could work on it and if his play in these 3 games are a real representation of his overall game then I think he has a top 2 potential.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
It's not just about performance though. It's also about projectability of skills, and I'm not a good enough scout (and I don't watch enough games) to say that he should have been a 1st round pick for sure.

That being said, I don't think Vikstrand has the raw puck skills to be a top 15 pick. So the debate is whether he sneaks into the first round. I can't say that's for sure.
As a defensemen you don't need the puck skills at high levels to be a high pick. He's got exceptional poise on the blue line with the puck and appears to have outstanding decision making because of that poise. His skating is sound all over and he makes the passes.

There's really not much over the 3 games I can see wrong with his "projectability of skills". Smooth pivots, ability to play with the puck on the blue line, quick decisions, poise, passing. Willingness to play the body. There's no red flags...he doesn't look like a guy that can only play in Europe. I can't see any of the things he's doing and say that can't translate to the NHL.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Aggen

I'm also suprised by the developement of Wikstrand. 2 years ago he were a solid prospect, and his coach (Harald Luckner) spoke highly of the kid, and thought he would be drafted early. (Obviously bias) Season 11/12 was supposed to be the breakthrough for Wikstrand, alot of people thought he would be the rookie of the year. But something happened, he was not terrible, but he was not good. He only managed to produce 3 points, and you rarely thought "Well done Wikstrand!". His previous coach said that he lacked "experience" in personal life, not majorly. I'm not talking on the ice here, im talking off the ice. For example, he came with plushpants(?), a simple shirt and barely nothing else in -25degrees. This caused him to be sick alot during that season, and you could see that on the ice.

Something happened though, this season he grew intense, you could see difference right from the pre-season. He grew confidence and it hasn't dropped in any way. He's been by far the best d-man in his team, and a top d in the hockeyallsvenskan. Maybe he learned how to dress properly ;-)

I hope that clears atleast something up for someone, why he dropped that far in the draft.

Aggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:24 AM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
As a defensemen you don't need the puck skills at high levels to be a high pick. He's got exceptional poise on the blue line with the puck and appears to have outstanding decision making because of that poise. His skating is sound all over and he makes the passes.

There's really not much over the 3 games I can see wrong with his "projectability of skills". Smooth pivots, ability to play with the puck on the blue line, quick decisions, poise, passing. Willingness to play the body. There's no red flags...he doesn't look like a guy that can only play in Europe. I can't see any of the things he's doing and say that can't translate to the NHL.
Defensemen that get picked in the top 15 almost always have one of two things. A big frame that projects well for the player to hold his own in physical battles or high end puck/skating abilities. Because Vikstrand has neither, I think it's a stretch to say he'd be a first round pick for sure in a redraft no matter how well he's done this year.

That's all I'm saying. I don't claim to be a good enough scout to say where he should have gone other than to say he doesn't look like he should have slipped to the 7th.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Defensemen that get picked in the top 15 almost always have one of two things. A big frame that projects well for the player to hold his own in physical battles or high end puck/skating abilities. Because Vikstrand has neither, I think it's a stretch to say he'd be a first round pick for sure in a redraft no matter how well he's done this year.

That's all I'm saying. I don't claim to be a good enough scout to say where he should have gone other than to say he doesn't look like he should have slipped to the 7th.
So why was Cody Ceci drafted in the top 15? His skating and puck skills are none more impressive than what I've seen from Wikstrand. And I'm just being lazy, there's more examples. And I never said anything about the top 15.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:05 AM
Dysentery
Ottawa Senators

vCash: 50
He can really read the play well, and it seems he can foresee most of the passes the other team attempts. These are traits that you cannot teach. I like this guy.

Dysentery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:19 AM
General Granny*

Quote:

That's just wrong, Wik has good size to hold his wrong he's 6'1-6'2 and even though he doesn't high end skating abilities he does have high end puck skills and poise.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:06 AM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Are you guys watching the Swede games on streams or are they being broadcast some-where outside of TSN I don't know about?

JonnyMacSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:52 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Wikstrand will be a big minute top 4 two-way 30-40 point d-man. Book it.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyMacSen View Post
Are you guys watching the Swede games on streams or are they being broadcast some-where outside of TSN I don't know about?
www.atdhe.eu will be streaming WJC games.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:07 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

I'm not booking anything. I'm excited for Wikstrand and I'm glad he's played well, but he certainly wouldn't be the first prospect we've had that has done well in the WJC and didn't meet our (sometime ludicrous) expectations. I'm excited to see him develop further, but Jesus, are some people jumping the gun.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
I'm not booking anything. I'm excited for Wikstrand and I'm glad he's played well, but he certainly wouldn't be the first prospect we've had that has done well in the WJC and didn't meet our (sometime ludicrous) expectations. I'm excited to see him develop further, but Jesus, are some people jumping the gun.
Just calling it as I've seen it so far.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Petersson had the size as his weakness
Stone had the skating as his weakness
Wikstrand- I don't see many issues in his game that will prevent him from making the pros if these 3 games I seen are the real indication of his play and if he continues to develop properly without major issues and injuries.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
BK201

He was ranked 23 overall for european skaters.

It's not Like he was completely underrated going into the draft.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Wham City

Quote:
You must not have seen his 2nd assist on that 5on3.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Greeningfan14

2 assists today, nice!

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote