HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Off-Season Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Giskard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
I don't think it'll hurt heath as much as you do. He's pretty straight forward and doesn't rely on agility. He'll be fine IMO.

ACL/MCL isn't as career ending as it used to be...there have been plenty of examples of this.
Indeed ... hasn't Malkin had the same injury before last MVP season?
Anyway good luck Heeeeeeaatthhh

Old
12-25-2012, 06:26 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
No way, I think Landry Jones will be a 1st round pick.

Yeah, but every year they pick 2 teams to go to London and the Steelers have one of the largest fan bases in the NFL. It's good for the British NFL/Steelers fans.
Landry Jones was going to be a 1st round pick going into this season. I'll be shocked if he's a 1st rounder this year. 3rd round is probably where he should be, but he'll more than likely be picked in the 2nd round because the QB crop is pathetic.

Old
12-25-2012, 06:45 AM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
This is what I was thinking. If they couldn't contend this year, there's no way they can contend next.

However, it is possible that this is a fluke season if you think about it. The defense is rated #1 in the WHOLE LEAGUE. They just couldn't come up with some big plays. Also they kept getting burned at the start due to Ike Taylor's slow start. Who could predict one of the best corners in the league would play so bad for a few games? And yes, Ike is easily an elite corner. He consistently shuts down #1 WR's. He doesn't get recognition because he can't catch the ball. But that's a topic for a different day.
The D was also dominant without Polamalu. Has to count for something.

The offense also scored more points than last season.

Some of the losses were real flukes. 8 turnovers vs the Browns??? Steelers gave Cleveland the ball every possession and still lost by only a TD. And how many games were lost because Sanders and Brown can't hold on to the ball or just plain incompetent?

IMO these things that can (should) be fixed. Unfortunately, most of the core players on D are getting way too old to wait around.

Still, the Steelers are in better shape than most teams in the NFL. I don't see them slipping below 8 wins in the near future as long as Lebeau and Ben are with the team.
ziggy; to me the biggest flop was the running game. do you think it was more a [young,/ banged up] o-line thing that will improve with time...or just bad, bad, and more bad running backs

Old
12-25-2012, 07:36 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
ziggy; to me the biggest flop was the running game. do you think it was more a [young,/ banged up] o-line thing that will improve with time...or just bad, bad, and more bad running backs
It took a nose dive after Adams got hurt.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
12-25-2012, 07:56 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

^ Yeah, Adams and Colon getting hurt slowed the run game which was actually very good early when both were healthy and playing.

DeCastro has loads of upside but got baptized by fire so to speak going against Geno Atkins and struggling mightily the other day. Atkins may be the premier pass rushing interior lineman in the game though and an incredibly tough assignment for a kid like DeCastro that's only playing his 2nd career game.

I do think the line finally has the talent to be a very good one but they need better luck with injuries to really make it happen.

Old
12-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Master View Post
The running game hasn't been very good for a few years now. To me it seemed like the Steelers were more concerned with fixing the pass blocking than the run blocking. Still, this year's line was much better than the past few years.
Still, you can't have Dwyer as your #1 back. You won't have a good run game no matter how good your Oline is. He's too predictable, 99% of his carries are between the tackles.

As far as biggest appointments, I think the WR's take the cake. Wallace can't catch. Sanders can't hold on to the ball. Brown is just incompetent.

Old
12-25-2012, 07:48 PM
JTG

Apparently Beanie Wells wants out of Arizona. He's a guy who has a ton of tread left on the tires if we don't bring back Mendenhall.

I also know it'd never happen, but I'd love to see what a guy like Osi Umenyiora could do as a 3-4 OLB.

Last edited by JTG: 12-25-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old
12-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Flat Stanley

Realistically, if the Steelers don't bring back Mendenhall, I think they will go with Dwyer, Redman, Batch and Rainey as their 4 RBs.

Haha yeah I don't see Osi Umenyiora happening, he's the kind of player where if he doesn't stay with the Giants he will be overpaid by an underachieving team thinking he's the answer to a rebuild.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:43 AM
JTG

Quote:
Realistically, if the Steelers don't bring back Mendenhall, I think they will go with Dwyer, Redman, Batch and Rainey as their 4 RBs.

Haha yeah I don't see Osi Umenyiora happening, he's the kind of player where if he doesn't stay with the Giants he will be overpaid by an underachieving team thinking he's the answer to a rebuild.
Those 4 are not the answer. I think everyone can see the writing on that wall.

I think this offseason is one where Colbert has got to be creative and aggressive. He's never really had to do that. I buy into the building a team organically philosophy, but sometimes you just can't. Fact also is, some of the most prolific Steelers were brought in via free agency or trade (Hartings, Bettis, Farrior).

If Colbert doesn't go into free agency hard, I can see this team struggling for the next 2-3 years, while having one of the highest payrolls in the NFL. Not a good business recipe.

I also did a little bit of draft reading last night...it's looking like we're in prime position to add Vacarro out of Texas as a safety/corner replacement. He's slotted right where we'll be picking by pretty much everyone. I still think that trading back might be the best option because I think this draft is deep, and having more picks is a better way to go. I can see quite a few 2nd round prospects becoming the class of this draft.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:57 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I watched Wells a lot at Ohio State. He had a great OL. I do not want him at all in Pittsburgh. He does not fit our system and would not benefit from being here.

That's saying a lot coming from a Buckeye fan. He just doesn't fit out team.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:06 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I watched Wells a lot at Ohio State. He had a great OL. I do not want him at all in Pittsburgh. He does not fit our system and would not benefit from being here.

That's saying a lot coming from a Buckeye fan. He just doesn't fit out team.
He's not ideal (I actually think Steven Jackson is ideal, and Mendenhall would be in 2nd), but the price may be right. A guy who has ran for over 1,000 yards, has a lot of tread on the tires, and could probably be had for a late round pick.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:08 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
He's not ideal (I actually think Steven Jackson is ideal, and Mendenhall would be in 2nd), but the price may be right. A guy who has ran for over 1,000 yards, has a lot of tread on the tires, and could probably be had for a late round pick.
Even at OSU he was injury prone. On top of that, he's not a ground and pound for 2-3 yards like we need. He wants to wait for huge holes and make the big gain. I agree with you about Jackson. He's a guy who would be perfect and we could give him rests w/ our other backs. Just think how our backs would wear down opponents w/ Dwyer, Redman, and Jackson. They all pop you right in the mouth. Wells, on the other hand, would rather slip and fall before taking a huge hit. He drove me insane at OSU but was so mega talented.

But yeah... if the price is right he's worth a shot.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:10 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
I also did a little bit of draft reading last night...it's looking like we're in prime position to add Vacarro out of Texas as a safety/corner replacement. He's slotted right where we'll be picking by pretty much everyone. I still think that trading back might be the best option because I think this draft is deep, and having more picks is a better way to go. I can see quite a few 2nd round prospects becoming the class of this draft.
Good pick. As you stated though, the Steelers can trade down several postions and still be able to draft him. It would be ideal to do that and pick up a 2nd round pick and even an additional pick as well.

Reid (S) could be available in the 2nd round so if the Steelers choose to keep their first pick they may want to look into Mingo (OLB) or Banks (CB).

I don't think WR is a position of need, but I would do a backflip if the Steelers somehow found Steadman Bailey available in the 3rd round. Again though, there are far more pressing needs on the team.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:20 AM
JTG

When I do my research, I pretty much read up on every guy who is slated to be drafted. In the top of this draft, there are a lot of guys who are very one dimensional, especially when talking about pass rushers. I can see t he benefit of adding them, but I can also see the downside, and none of them really spark my interest too much, aside from a guy like Star Lotulelei and Chance Warmack. I think both have Pro Bowl written all over them from the first snap they play. A lot of gurus are calling Chance Warmack the best guard prospect they have EVER evaluated. That's incredibly high praise. If Warmack fell, I wouldn't waste a single second, and would immediately draft him.

When I get to the late 1st, early 2nd round picks though, I see incredible value there. Granted, not many of those guys are going to be taking snaps from the first day they are with the team, but I think a lot of them will need minimal time to grow within the system and be highly effective.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
sniugneP

Quote:
None of these 4 backs are capable of run for 1,000 yards a season. Mendy definitely is. I'm not sure if he really wants to stay here.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Those 4 are not the answer. I think everyone can see the writing on that wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
None of these 4 backs are capable of run for 1,000 yards a season. Mendy definitely is. I'm not sure if he really wants to stay here.
I agree with both of you, but if the Steelers don't bring back Mendenhall, I don't see them signing one in free agency or drafting one capable of being an NFL starter. I think they will say "Dwyer showed promise last season" or something like "Dwyer and Redman as a one two punch can get it done"

EDIT: I do think Dwyer could be our starter though, he's a hard runner. He won't be some star RB who is a threat to other defenses like Andrian peterson, Ray Rice, etc. But neither is Mendenhall and Dwyer can find space to run and runs hard, Mendenhall dances around and gets tackled after 1 or 2 yards, sometimes even loses yards.

Last edited by Flat Stanley: 12-26-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old
12-26-2012, 11:08 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
I disagree. Dwyer has looked really good so far. It's hard to put much fault on him when he's getting contact by 1 or 2 defenders in his own backfield on many plays. When our o-line was relatively healthy (+Colon), he looked like a starting running back and was averaging close to 5 yards/carry. The main concern is whether he is disciplined enough to stay in shape or will he be running with the Hampton/Woodley/Worilds crowd of coming into camp 25+ lbs overweight.

To add, wasn't Dwyer our first back to get consecutive 100 yard games in a long time?

Old
12-26-2012, 11:53 AM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Dwyer is a good complimentary back. He just doesn't have starter tools. Vision, and the burst you'd like to see in the open with the endzone in sight.

I really hope they give Mendy a one year deal to get back on track. People were pissed at him this year, but he was seriously hurt, then got hurt as soon as he came back. He is a starting back.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Why would Mendenhall even consider returning after spending all season in the doghouse and being publicly shamed for skipping a game?

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
12-26-2012, 12:17 PM
JTG

Yeah, I think Mendenhall will get out of this situation. It's sad because he is a talented back, he is just very immature. The thing about it is, we have no one to replace him, this crop of runningbacks is horrendous in the draft, and there's no real great free agents. A trade would have to happen.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:36 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Yeah, I think Mendenhall will get out of this situation. It's sad because he is a talented back, he is just very immature. The thing about it is, we have no one to replace him, this crop of runningbacks is horrendous in the draft, and there's no real great free agents. A trade would have to happen.
When you couple the fact that we started the season with 5 backs and we changed to much more pass-oriented team, I just can't see the need to get another back regardless of what happens to Mendenhall.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:38 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
When you couple the fact that we started the season with 5 backs and we changed to much more pass-oriented team, I just can't see the need to get another back regardless of what happens to Mendenhall.
You can have 10 backs, but if none of them are capable workhorses, then you still have a hole at RB. We have 4 complementary runningbacks right now. Mendenhall needs to be re-signed, or we need to trade for a legitimate runningback.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

I see a lot of mock drafts that have us get Lacy in the second. At the same time some have us getting Te'o in the first. Neither of which I could see happening. Not saying we wouldn't love either but I doubt Te'o will be there for our pick and that the front office thinks RB would be a pick in the 2nd where we have more needs to fill.

After watching a lot of youtube vids on Mingo I don't really like that pick all that much. Some have Mingo slated for our pick as well. I'm personally hoping Jarvis Jones drops to us. Unlikely as it may seem. I can see Banks or one of the NT/DT available being our first round pick.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:45 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
I would take a chance on Lattimore. He probably will go in late rounds due to knee injury. He would be easily best RB in the draft if weren't for injury. He may not be able to play at beginning of the year but I think it's worth a late rounder. I think it all depends on his physical tests in spring.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
I would take a chance on Lattimore. He probably will go in late rounds due to knee injury. He would be easily best RB in the draft if weren't for injury. He may not be able to play at beginning of the year but I think it's worth a late rounder.
I completely forgot about Lattimore. He's easily a first round talent so if he's available in the 3rd or 4th I say why the hell not. We took Heath who fell to us off an injury in the first. Maybe strike gold twice.

Closed Thread