HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Brian Burke to BOS ?

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 10:38 PM
OlliMackBjugStud

vCash: 500
Brian Burke to BOS ?

Don Taylor on S-Pac just floated a rumour that Brian Burke is inline to replace Sinden as the big boss for BOS.

Would be a huge loss for the Nucks, bigger than losing Bertuzzi or Naslund.

can it be true ?

DR

Old
12-09-2003, 10:40 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
can it be true ?
Better ****ing not be.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:45 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Well, I'm glad the Burke rumours have replaced the Lamoriello rumours to Boston....

Old
12-09-2003, 10:46 PM
incawg

Let's think about this logically for a second. Burke is notoriously tight lipped when it comes to trade rumours - do you really think that even if he was considering a move like he would let it leak? He and his wife would probably be the only ones to know. Thus, the credibility of the rumour is darn close to zero. Secondly, as I alluded to above, he just married and his wife happens to be a well-known Vancouver broadcaster. She's not about to leave her radio and TV jobs in Vancouver. And then there's the fact that he's brought this team up from the ground and there's no way he's going to leave when he's so close to winning a cup.

The only truth to the rumour is that Burke's contract will expire at the end of the year...but it ends there. There is no question in my mind that McCaw will sign Burke to a new long-term deal. The only question is how long before that deal gets done.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:01 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
Let's think about this logically for a second. Burke is notoriously tight lipped when it comes to trade rumours - do you really think that even if he was considering a move like he would let it leak? He and his wife would probably be the only ones to know. Thus, the credibility of the rumour is darn close to zero. Secondly, as I alluded to above, he just married and his wife happens to be a well-known Vancouver broadcaster. She's not about to leave her radio and TV jobs in Vancouver. And then there's the fact that he's brought this team up from the ground and there's no way he's going to leave when he's so close to winning a cup.

The only truth to the rumour is that Burke's contract will expire at the end of the year...but it ends there. There is no question in my mind that McCaw will sign Burke to a new long-term deal. The only question is how long before that deal gets done.
Well said

Old
12-10-2003, 12:32 AM
ShyCheetah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DementedReality
Don Taylor on S-Pac just floated a rumour that Brian Burke is inline to replace Sinden as the big boss for BOS.

Would be a huge loss for the Nucks, bigger than losing Bertuzzi or Naslund.

can it be true ?

DR
If he left it would be disasterous for the franchise. He and Nonis are the only reason that we have a competitive team that is financially viable. If he left then within a few years we'd either become another developmental team ala Edmonton or Pitts or we'd be the Portland Canucks. Shy

One other thought, I wonder why Nonis hasn't been offered a GM job yet?

Old
12-10-2003, 01:05 AM
CivicSI_JB

I've said this when the rumours of Burke to Chicago I think it was came out and I'll say it again:

There is zero chance of Burke leaving here right now and I would bet thousands of dollars that he will stay in Vancouver for at least another few years. He's built this team to where it is, so why leave now, makes absolutely no sense

Old
12-10-2003, 01:15 AM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
His wife is a biatch, she's a loud mouth like her husband now and i can't stand her on radio. If burke is gonna leave, he will, we have no say in that
We won't have a say, but his wife sure as heck will. Loud mouth biatch or not, I can't see her suddenly jumping town with such a cushy job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
Anyways, Burke is trying to get Crawford under contract for a couple more years, after that is done, he and the guy above Burke work on his contract.
Psst...crow was signed to an extension last week

Old
12-10-2003, 01:28 PM
PecaFan

Disastrous for the Canucks? Give me a break.

All Burke has really done in his time here is sign the core guys that his *predecessors* brought in, like Naslund, Bertuzzi, Ohlund, Cooke etc. He brought in some decent guys like Jovo and Morrison, but needed Hall of Fame level assets in Bure and Mogilny to do so. Since those huge trading assets are gone, he's simply made a gaggle of mostly meaningless trades with a parade of identical parts, for example in goal Irbe - Burke - Snow - Weekes - Cloutier.

He's made a few decent trades for bit players like Salo and Malik, but nothing where you can say he made a "steal". At best his trades are win/win for both sides, and the majority he vastly overpays. Hell, he had to give draft picks away just to sign a coach.

His draft record is equally spotty. No impact players drafted in six years, and several top 5 draft picks that are third liners and depth defensemen (Henrik, Daniel, Allen). Numerous wasted first round picks (Smith, Umberger). At this point, Jason King is the only guy he drafted who you'll say "great pick" about.

Burke has done an average job, that's it. He didn't screw up what was given to him. His primary success has been financial, but it takes no real talent to slash payroll.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:37 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Rumours are swirling from the media (as per usual) mainly because Burke hasn't signed a new contract yet. His last contract wasn't signed until the February of that season, so relax.

Closed Thread