HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Tournament Attendance

Old
12-26-2012, 08:47 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Well that is just my opinion. Prospects are still just prospects...I like more to watch finished products that plays in NHL/KHL/Olympics
They are just prospects, busting their arses many to gain NHL teams attention busting arse each shift. Huge issue I have with many Olympic rosters are players who`ll do anything it takes to win while representing their country yet try getting them to take the hit, block a shot while representing their NHL teams, won`t get into specifics as to those I speak of.....

Never been a fan of Pro`s in any sport at the Olympics. I say that as a Canadian who`s country often didn`t have the amateur talent to win Gold much less a medal of any color. I`m terribly old school with my POV, the Olympics began as a way for amateurs to compete against amateurs, not highly paid athlete`s to push out those who may never play anything higher than what they could have while representing their countries.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
theres a thing called x-mas holidays... who ever planned the tourney did a good job...
They're planned at the same time in Canada, don't see why that matters?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:48 AM
fredligh

I hope next years tournament in Sweden will be stacked in the stance. But i think the hosts will overrate the tournament and set the prices far to high just like the WC. Killed it pretty well back then.

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredligh View Post
I hope next years tournament in Sweden will be stacked in the stance. But i think the hosts will overrate the tournament and set the prices far to high just like the WC. Killed it pretty well back then.
Last time it was in Sweden (2007) the average attendance was 2k.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Rob

I wonder how many Canadians made the trip to Russia this year?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:59 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
They are just prospects, busting their arses many to gain NHL teams attention busting arse each shift. Huge issue I have with many Olympic rosters are players who`ll do anything it takes to win while representing their country yet try getting them to take the hit, block a shot while representing their NHL teams, won`t get into specifics as to those I speak of.....

Never been a fan of Pro`s in any sport at the Olympics. I say that as a Canadian who`s country often didn`t have the amateur talent to win Gold much less a medal of any color. I`m terribly old school with my POV, the Olympics began as a way for amateurs to compete against amateurs, not highly paid athlete`s to push out those who may never play anything higher than what they could have while representing their countries.
The WJHC is the most overrated hockey competition in the world by Canadians.
Sure the action is good...if you watch Team Canada... but the lack of parity is a real killer for me and others. Honestly, when I see how little some countries care about this tourney (like today against Germany; I mean in terms of fans btw) I lose absolutely all interest. Why invest if your opponent doesnt?

Did you know that China has the most World Ping Pong Tournament Gold medals in history??? No???? Well guess what, only a tiny minority outside Canada even knows we HAVE medals in world junior hockey. Such prestige! Such bragging rights! Nope.

World Hockey Championship and Olympics are the only hockey tournaments that deserve international hype in my honest opinion.

When World Junior hockey reaches a level of parity where fan interest and team competitiveness approaches some level of consistency in all countries ( a long and arduous process which will require many more hostings in Europe, and much better development and support for junior programs), will it be acceptable to place it alongside the aforementioned tournaments.

FuriousSenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheSabresFan View Post
Sure the action is good...if you watch Team Canada... but the lack of parity is a real killer for me and others. Honestly, when I see how little some countries care about this tourney (like today against Germany; I mean in terms of fans btw) I lose absolutely all interest. Why invest if your opponent doesnt?

Did you know that China has the most World Ping Pong Tournament Gold medals in history??? No???? Well guess what, only a tiny minority outside Canada even knows we HAVE medals in world junior hockey. Such prestige! Such bragging rights! Nope.

World Hockey Championship and Olympics are the only hockey tournaments that deserve international hype in my honest opinion.

When World Junior hockey reaches a level of parity where fan interest and team competitiveness approaches some level of consistency in all countries ( a long and arduous process which will require many more hostings in Europe, and much better development and support for junior programs), will it be acceptable to place it alongside the aforementioned tournaments.
Four different champions in the last four years.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Tricolore#20

Quote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

I love this tournament. It is exciting whenever Canada faces difficult opposition, and the games are tight. Thankfully, games against the USA and Russia in previous years have lived up to that billing. Even as a hardcore hockey fan, I find games against lesser opposition (which seems to be the majority of Canada's games in recent years) fairly boring. There is really no drama, and I almost start to feign support for Canada when the score becomes 3-0, 4-0, etc... When it's 8-1 and Canadians are going crazy, I often feel embarrassed. It seems like the majority of Canada games are one sided, and for me, that isn't fun to watch.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Sanderson

The difference in interest in junior hockey isn't all that surprising, the setup is completely different.

Certain events have led to the huge interest in the World Juniors in Canada, but it's also about how hockey is structured. In many Canadian cities major junior is the highest level of hockey, and the draft is the main source of talent for NHL-teams. Apart from the very young players, junior and men's hockey are split.

Compare that to Europe, where juniors are in the same organisation as men. You don't have a place where juniors are the main draw, they are always overshadowed by the men's team they belong to. There simply is no real reason for people to follow junior hockey if they have the grown ups around, especially when the best juniors move to the pros at an early age anyway. You are mostly left with die-hard fans who watch every little bit of hockey they can get, which in some places can be quite a lot, but it's not something many people have the time for.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:24 AM
FuriousSenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I agree that definitely countries like Sweden and Russia are on their way (both in terms of skill and fan support), but then the tournament should be limited to 4 teams or something similar.

My point (as my fellow poster above me so eloquently puts) is that a lot of Canadians treat this as a be-all, end-all, super tournament of immense international prestige. While I'm never AGAINST such feelings, they are factually misplaced and really we should be feeling much, much greater pride in the WHC where millions of Europeans watch with fervour every year.

Instead our resources and energies are devoted to a small-time tournament where in all honesty, it doesn't matter AT ALL whether Canada wins or not (except in the minds of TSN's marketing team).

Old
12-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
I agree that definitely countries like Sweden and Russia are on their way (both in terms of skill and fan support), but then the tournament should be limited to 4 teams or something similar.

My point (as my fellow poster above me so eloquently puts) is that a lot of Canadians treat this as a be-all, end-all, super tournament of immense international prestige. While I'm never AGAINST such feelings, they are factually misplaced and really we should be feeling much, much greater pride in the WHC where millions of Europeans watch with fervour every year.

Instead our resources and energies are devoted to a small-time tournament where in all honesty, it doesn't matter AT ALL whether Canada wins or not (except in the minds of TSN's marketing team).
Well you aren't going to generate interest in the game if you only have four countries. I've said before I don't think it benefits teams like Germany or Denmark to be at this level and we could probably drop it by two teams and then have D-1A be a bit more balanced for teams like Germany, Latvia, Denmark etc. I don't think you drop teams like Finland or the Czechs however. A four team tournament is just too small.

I agree that Canadians would do better to focus on the World Championships, although I understand why they are not. Mostly with regards to the timing of each tournament.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:41 AM
archangel archangel

Quote:
Far less distance than from Ufa to Canada and there were quite a few Canadian fans in the stands for that game.
At last count there were reportedly nearly 600k Canadians living in and around Europe

archangel archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Habnot

Is the point that the WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS be held in Canada every year because of attendance?

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Wanderson

Quote:
Well, they're going to play in Malmö. So it won't be stacked. Not even half-full.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Doubtful. Swedes care about their own team, not the other other countries.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Doubtful. Swedes care about their own team, not the other other countries.
Copenhagen is more conveniently located both geographically and logistically than Ufa so at least you can hope for a higher turn out among fans from Finland, the Czech Republic etc.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
The same 4 that are biggest favorites every year... More parity at World Hockey Championships and Olympics.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Copenhagen is more conveniently located both geographically and logistically than Ufa so at least you can hope for a higher turn out among fans from Finland, the Czech Republic etc.
Finns don't do travelling for sports events at this time of the year.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:27 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
The same 4 that are biggest favorites every year... More parity at World Hockey Championships and Olympics.
Nobody said there was more parity at the U20s, just that it wasn't a Canada only tournament.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:33 AM
c9gunner

WJHC is the best hockey beacause of the games like Slovaks against Russia today.

c9gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:24 AM
FuriousSenator

ANYWAYS BACK TO THE POINT OF THIS THREAD!

Anyone got final attendance figures from today's games?

Russia-Slovakia is quoted as having had 6,221 according to Wikipedia but I think that might be a bit of an underestimate, it looked completely full to me and I didn't see many empty seats except in the corners.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
Well you aren't going to generate interest in the game if you only have four countries. I've said before I don't think it benefits teams like Germany or Denmark to be at this level and we could probably drop it by two teams and then have D-1A be a bit more balanced for teams like Germany, Latvia, Denmark etc. I don't think you drop teams like Finland or the Czechs however. A four team tournament is just too small.

I agree that Canadians would do better to focus on the World Championships, although I understand why they are not. Mostly with regards to the timing of each tournament.
Problem with a smaller tournament is your going to have that same problem. Say they go to 8 teams, it'll likely be Canada, Russia, Sweden, US, Finland, Czechs, Switzerland, and Slovakia. The bottom two would get relegated bringing up Germany/Austria etc., and then they get relegated. Doesn't change anything.

I think the problem is that when teams play to get into it, they play the year prior. A lot of times the team they had a year prior were much better than the teams they put on the ice for the big stage. If they could do the Division 1-A like a month or two before the WJC, then the teams that win is actually the best team going into the tournament. They also played together to boot, although I don't know how other countries would like that, then the promoted countries would have a chemistry advantage.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:04 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
ANYWAYS BACK TO THE POINT OF THIS THREAD!

Anyone got final attendance figures from today's games?

Russia-Slovakia is quoted as having had 6,221
It's the offcial IIHF number. I watched the game and saw some empty areas. So 6,221 looks about right.

c9gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Thats what happens when you have the best available. The strongest nations talentwise will always be favoured.

Olympics more parity?

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Problem with a smaller tournament is your going to have that same problem. Say they go to 8 teams, it'll likely be Canada, Russia, Sweden, US, Finland, Czechs, Switzerland, and Slovakia. The bottom two would get relegated bringing up Germany/Austria etc., and then they get relegated. Doesn't change anything.

I think the problem is that when teams play to get into it, they play the year prior. A lot of times the team they had a year prior were much better than the teams they put on the ice for the big stage. If they could do the Division 1-A like a month or two before the WJC, then the teams that win is actually the best team going into the tournament. They also played together to boot, although I don't know how other countries would like that, then the promoted countries would have a chemistry advantage.
No reason to relegate two teams.