Regarding the Tim Thomas trade rumors..

Old
12-24-2012, 11:23 PM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
I just have to assume thatnow after the world didn't end in the Mayan Apocalypse. Thomas may now be willing to play somewhere..
What?

I know Thomas thought the government was getting much too big(something many people believe) but I dont think anyone has pegged him as a mayan doomsdayer.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
So.......how 'bout Tim Thomas and them Broons?

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:33 PM
EverettMike

What the hell just happened?!

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Come on... you all know the drill. Keep the political talk out of here.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 03:55 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
Come on... you all know the drill. Keep the political talk out of here.
Where's the like button when you need one?

++1

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Anywho, I agree with OrrCam's premise. It's one of the reasons I have so much contempt for the group think mentality. It tends to build on itself and make mountains out of molehills.

Not that this is a molehill, necessary. I'd call the Thomas situation a definite mound, I might even go so far as to say it was a hillock. But that doesn't mean we need to make a mountain of that either.

What we know

-- Thomas refused to attend President Obama's meet and greet with the championship Bruins

-- Thomas, under pressure to explain himself, made a politically charged statement about the size of government, while going out of his way to avoid aligning himself with any particular partisan affiliation (this is the part people NEED to try and remember when discussing this. Please.)

-- Thomas decided to sit out the next season. Speculation flies, but his decision to sit out has never been confirmed by either Thomas or anyone else to have anything in the slightest to do with the Washington visit or its aftermath.

That's what the facts are. Literally everything else is speculation, and I hate seeing speculation built on top of speculation, especially with this guy who deserves better.

I mean for all I know the reason Thomas didn't meet Obama is he's a closet racist and didn't want to stand that close to a black man. But because it's true "for all I know," does that give the right to spout it as if it was a fact? Heck No! And neither are a ton of the other spiteful little nonsenses that I've seen in this thread and threads like it. Confine yourself to the facts, and if you can condemn him on those, go nuts.

Last edited by Bridges31: 12-25-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: missed the post thank you for pointing it out
Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 04:52 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
If a deal is reached, what of Thomas is going to be a very big story to follow. If he is sitting in on talks then that kind of sounds like he's still got some interest in hockey.

I hope the Bruins can't move him and he shows up.

I'm no Doomsday Preper (or whatever they call these folks) but I still think he's a very good goalie and a good guy even if he pissed me off with the Pres snub and says some whacky things.

Thomas showing up to Bruins camp since he is under contract would be epic. Gawd I hope the Bruins cant trade this guy

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:00 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
What?

I know Thomas thought the government was getting much too big(something many people believe) but I dont think anyone has pegged him as a mayan doomsdayer.
well it was a joke.

But Thomas this summer when he was receiving flack for walking away from the Bruins did post links to basically apocalyptic websites on his Facebook page and said something about why worry about hockey when these events were happening

Now it wasn't the Myan apocalypse but still a radical financial apocalyptic story that is widely considered zany

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:09 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
well it was a joke.

But Thomas this summer when he was receiving flack for walking away from the Bruins did post links to basically apocalyptic websites on his Facebook page and said something about why worry about hockey when these events were happening

Now it wasn't the Myan apocalypse but still a radical financial apocalyptic story that is widely considered zany

What was this story?

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:14 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
If a deal is reached, what of Thomas is going to be a very big story to follow. If he is sitting in on talks then that kind of sounds like he's still got some interest in hockey.

I hope the Bruins can't move him and he shows up.

I'm no Doomsday Preper (or whatever they call these folks) but I still think he's a very good goalie and a good guy even if he pissed me off with the Pres snub and says some whacky things.

Thomas showing up to Bruins camp since he is under contract would be epic. Gawd I hope the Bruins cant trade this guy
While I don't think TT can play as well as he did in the Cup run again,with a shortened season he might be able to get pretty close to that level, particularly if Rask elevates his game and is healthy and the two have healthy competition going on.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:15 AM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

Quote:
well it was a joke.

I dont think anyone would consider the blaze and the daily mail basically apocalyptic sites. The blaze is no doubt conservative as its run by glenn beck...and the articles really weren't thaaat radical..especially considering Europe was teetering on the brink of financial collapse. They struck me as worst case scenario articles.

Now did I agree with them? Not really...I stayed optimistic with europe and so far we've been all set. However..we go off the fiscal cliff and end up in another recession, itll be interesting no doubt to see if some economies can handle it so soon.

But thats all another talk for another day.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
While I don't think TT can play as well as he did in the Cup run again,with a shortened season he might be able to get pretty close to that level, particularly if Rask elevates his game and is healthy and the two have healthy competition going on.
I'll be convinced Thomas isn't an above average caliber starting goaltender when he demonstrates he can't get it done, and not a minute before.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:28 AM
DOGSTARMAN

I don't think anyone, on either side of "the aisle," should be proud of name calling and generally fractious behavior. And I'm sorry to see it here. Regardless of how right you are, think you are, and how wrong the other person is, or you think is, there's not a lot to be gained from degenerating into bitter and insulting attacks - it's about as lazy as it gets. Real life isn't Springer... I'm very disappointed whenever I see people behave this way, no matter how close or far they are from my personal belief system. It's wasted energy with no chance of accomplishing anything useful. I just hope more people think before clicking "submit" and adding fuel to a pitiful fire.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:33 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
How come Thomas doesn't get the "tired" benefit of the doubt like board favorites Marchand, Bergeron, Lucic and Krejci? After all, didn't he do the most work? He also had to play more then he should have due to our injured goalie of the future.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:34 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
I don't think anyone, on either side of "the aisle," should be proud of name calling and generally fractious behavior. And I'm sorry to see it here. Regardless of how right you are, think you are, and how wrong the other person is, or you think is, there's not a lot to be gained from degenerating into bitter and insulting attacks - it's about as lazy as it gets. Real life isn't Springer... I'm very disappointed whenever I see people behave this way, no matter how close or far they are from my personal belief system. It's wasted energy with no chance of accomplishing anything useful. I just hope more people think before clicking "submit" and adding fuel to a pitiful fire.
Merry Christmas to you and yours Kev !

And well said.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:36 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
How come Thomas doesn't get the "tired" benefit of the doubt like board favorites Marchand, Bergeron, Lucic and Krejci? After all, didn't he do the most work? He also had to play more then he should have due to our injured goalie of the future.
Doesn't fit into the mold that has been established for him by the non-supporters. That would be the expensive relic mold, not the champion-warrior mold.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Tim Thomas played up to his level in that series against Washington. The issue in that series was our inability to score on a soft defense. People don't want to blame guys we like, such as Marchand who was all but invisible, so they blame the guy who let the goals in rather than the forward corps that failed to score them.

That, and the return of our PMD woes heralded in a return of our inability to score in the clutch. Quel surprise there. Andy Ference is a darn good defenseman but he can't be your best PMD. Quick transition was our primary weapon in the playoff run and we didn't have it against the Caps. They were always able to set their defense before we were able to attack.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:02 PM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Tim Thomas played up to his level in that series against Washington. The issue in that series was our inability to score on a soft defense. People don't want to blame guys we like, such as Marchand who was all but invisible, so they blame the guy who let the goals in rather than the forward corps that failed to score them.

That, and the return of our PMD woes heralded in a return of our inability to score in the clutch. Quel surprise there. Andy Ference is a darn good defenseman but he can't be your best PMD. Quick transition was our primary weapon in the playoff run and we didn't have it against the Caps. They were always able to set their defense before we were able to attack.
Tim had one bad game [game 5] but he rebounded in game 6.While I don't think he played quite as well as he did say in the Vancouver,Tampa Bay and Philly series in the Cup run ,he did play as well as he did against Montreal [in the Cup run] and he gave the team every chance to win the series.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Nice!! Yeah, amazing how forgiving TT's detractors were of "Turkko Time!!!".

Despite all that; TT much like the Cup run, once again had the Bruins a single goal away from advancing. Imagine that.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:42 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Nice!! Yeah, amazing how forgiving TT's detractors were of "Turkko Time!!!".

Despite all that; TT much like the Cup run, once again had the Bruins a single goal away from advancing. Imagine that.
All with a combined FOUR goals from Lucic, Marchand, Seguin, Krejci and Bergeron... In SEVEN games. He lost THREE games while giving up TWO ****ing goals in each one....

Old
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
one of the changes to the new CBA per Andy Strickland is the removal of imaginery money thru rookie bonuses included in a teams cap; this is good news if you are Peter Chiarelli. The Islanders apparently have been using this to reach the floor but no more- other teams have done similar.

Maybe this is a landing spot for TT. He is out of Division atleast, gives the Islanders cap hit that will help them reach the floor and who knows, my bet is TT is going to play this year

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:04 PM
flannelman
They're,Their,There

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
one of the changes to the new CBA per Andy Strickland is the removal of imaginery money thru rookie bonuses included in a teams cap; this is good news if you are Peter Chiarelli. The Islanders apparently have been using this to reach the floor but no more- other teams have done similar.

Maybe this is a landing spot for TT. He is out of Division atleast, gives the Islanders cap hit that will help them reach the floor and who knows, my bet is TT is going to play this year
stirring the pot, eh, Dan? I'd like to see him play, too. Was thinking the same thing (Islanders) - hey, they acquired Lubomir Visnovsky (sp?) to help them reach the cap floor and still have plenty of open room, and let's be honest, Ricky DiPietro isn't exactly durable.

Sidenote - rookie bonuses - didn't Seguin have one in there if he won the Selke? Sure, give the kid some incentive, but let's be realistic.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I agree with getting rid of the imaginary bonus money. That was BS.

Old
12-27-2012, 11:33 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Remember this anyone?

I'd still want him back in a heartbeat.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:46 AM
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken

I bet there would be a bunch of dumbasses who boo him...even if he came back day 1 from the lockout.

Probably the same that boo the team during the playoffs cause they didnt score a PP goal.