HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Regarding the Tim Thomas trade rumors..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2012, 11:23 PM
  #176
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
I just have to assume thatnow after the world didn't end in the Mayan Apocalypse. Thomas may now be willing to play somewhere..
What?

I know Thomas thought the government was getting much too big(something many people believe) but I dont think anyone has pegged him as a mayan doomsdayer.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 01:29 PM
  #177
Gee Wally
Retired
 
Gee Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: HF retirement home
Country: United States
Posts: 34,088
vCash: 50
Awards:
So.......how 'bout Tim Thomas and them Broons?

__________________

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 02:33 PM
  #178
EverettMike
Registered User
 
EverettMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Everett, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,556
vCash: 500
What the hell just happened?!

EverettMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 03:02 PM
  #179
Bridges31
Goon? Lol
 
Bridges31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 11,687
vCash: 500
Come on... you all know the drill. Keep the political talk out of here.

Bridges31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 03:55 PM
  #180
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridges31 View Post
Come on... you all know the drill. Keep the political talk out of here.
Where's the like button when you need one?

++1

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 04:40 PM
  #181
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Anywho, I agree with OrrCam's premise. It's one of the reasons I have so much contempt for the group think mentality. It tends to build on itself and make mountains out of molehills.

Not that this is a molehill, necessary. I'd call the Thomas situation a definite mound, I might even go so far as to say it was a hillock. But that doesn't mean we need to make a mountain of that either.

What we know

-- Thomas refused to attend President Obama's meet and greet with the championship Bruins

-- Thomas, under pressure to explain himself, made a politically charged statement about the size of government, while going out of his way to avoid aligning himself with any particular partisan affiliation (this is the part people NEED to try and remember when discussing this. Please.)

-- Thomas decided to sit out the next season. Speculation flies, but his decision to sit out has never been confirmed by either Thomas or anyone else to have anything in the slightest to do with the Washington visit or its aftermath.

That's what the facts are. Literally everything else is speculation, and I hate seeing speculation built on top of speculation, especially with this guy who deserves better.

I mean for all I know the reason Thomas didn't meet Obama is he's a closet racist and didn't want to stand that close to a black man. But because it's true "for all I know," does that give the right to spout it as if it was a fact? Heck No! And neither are a ton of the other spiteful little nonsenses that I've seen in this thread and threads like it. Confine yourself to the facts, and if you can condemn him on those, go nuts.


Last edited by Bridges31: 12-25-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: missed the post thank you for pointing it out
Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 04:52 PM
  #182
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,434
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
If a deal is reached, what of Thomas is going to be a very big story to follow. If he is sitting in on talks then that kind of sounds like he's still got some interest in hockey.

I hope the Bruins can't move him and he shows up.

I'm no Doomsday Preper (or whatever they call these folks) but I still think he's a very good goalie and a good guy even if he pissed me off with the Pres snub and says some whacky things.

Thomas showing up to Bruins camp since he is under contract would be epic. Gawd I hope the Bruins cant trade this guy

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:00 PM
  #183
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 4,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
What?

I know Thomas thought the government was getting much too big(something many people believe) but I dont think anyone has pegged him as a mayan doomsdayer.
well it was a joke.

But Thomas this summer when he was receiving flack for walking away from the Bruins did post links to basically apocalyptic websites on his Facebook page and said something about why worry about hockey when these events were happening

Now it wasn't the Myan apocalypse but still a radical financial apocalyptic story that is widely considered zany

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:09 PM
  #184
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL
 
VeddarRants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 12,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
well it was a joke.

But Thomas this summer when he was receiving flack for walking away from the Bruins did post links to basically apocalyptic websites on his Facebook page and said something about why worry about hockey when these events were happening

Now it wasn't the Myan apocalypse but still a radical financial apocalyptic story that is widely considered zany

What was this story?

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 10:14 PM
  #185
gillesgilbert
Registered User
 
gillesgilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
If a deal is reached, what of Thomas is going to be a very big story to follow. If he is sitting in on talks then that kind of sounds like he's still got some interest in hockey.

I hope the Bruins can't move him and he shows up.

I'm no Doomsday Preper (or whatever they call these folks) but I still think he's a very good goalie and a good guy even if he pissed me off with the Pres snub and says some whacky things.

Thomas showing up to Bruins camp since he is under contract would be epic. Gawd I hope the Bruins cant trade this guy
While I don't think TT can play as well as he did in the Cup run again,with a shortened season he might be able to get pretty close to that level, particularly if Rask elevates his game and is healthy and the two have healthy competition going on.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:15 AM
  #186
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
well it was a joke.

But Thomas this summer when he was receiving flack for walking away from the Bruins did post links to basically apocalyptic websites on his Facebook page and said something about why worry about hockey when these events were happening

Now it wasn't the Myan apocalypse but still a radical financial apocalyptic story that is widely considered zany
I dont think anyone would consider the blaze and the daily mail basically apocalyptic sites. The blaze is no doubt conservative as its run by glenn beck...and the articles really weren't thaaat radical..especially considering Europe was teetering on the brink of financial collapse. They struck me as worst case scenario articles.

Now did I agree with them? Not really...I stayed optimistic with europe and so far we've been all set. However..we go off the fiscal cliff and end up in another recession, itll be interesting no doubt to see if some economies can handle it so soon.

But thats all another talk for another day.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:43 AM
  #187
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillesgilbert View Post
While I don't think TT can play as well as he did in the Cup run again,with a shortened season he might be able to get pretty close to that level, particularly if Rask elevates his game and is healthy and the two have healthy competition going on.
I'll be convinced Thomas isn't an above average caliber starting goaltender when he demonstrates he can't get it done, and not a minute before.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:28 AM
  #188
DOGSTARMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,971
vCash: 500
I don't think anyone, on either side of "the aisle," should be proud of name calling and generally fractious behavior. And I'm sorry to see it here. Regardless of how right you are, think you are, and how wrong the other person is, or you think is, there's not a lot to be gained from degenerating into bitter and insulting attacks - it's about as lazy as it gets. Real life isn't Springer... I'm very disappointed whenever I see people behave this way, no matter how close or far they are from my personal belief system. It's wasted energy with no chance of accomplishing anything useful. I just hope more people think before clicking "submit" and adding fuel to a pitiful fire.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:33 PM
  #189
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,949
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
How come Thomas doesn't get the "tired" benefit of the doubt like board favorites Marchand, Bergeron, Lucic and Krejci? After all, didn't he do the most work? He also had to play more then he should have due to our injured goalie of the future.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:34 PM
  #190
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,949
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye View Post
I don't think anyone, on either side of "the aisle," should be proud of name calling and generally fractious behavior. And I'm sorry to see it here. Regardless of how right you are, think you are, and how wrong the other person is, or you think is, there's not a lot to be gained from degenerating into bitter and insulting attacks - it's about as lazy as it gets. Real life isn't Springer... I'm very disappointed whenever I see people behave this way, no matter how close or far they are from my personal belief system. It's wasted energy with no chance of accomplishing anything useful. I just hope more people think before clicking "submit" and adding fuel to a pitiful fire.
Merry Christmas to you and yours Kev !

And well said.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:36 PM
  #191
ReggieMoto
Registered User
 
ReggieMoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Manchester, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 4,332
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
How come Thomas doesn't get the "tired" benefit of the doubt like board favorites Marchand, Bergeron, Lucic and Krejci? After all, didn't he do the most work? He also had to play more then he should have due to our injured goalie of the future.
Doesn't fit into the mold that has been established for him by the non-supporters. That would be the expensive relic mold, not the champion-warrior mold.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:44 PM
  #192
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Tim Thomas played up to his level in that series against Washington. The issue in that series was our inability to score on a soft defense. People don't want to blame guys we like, such as Marchand who was all but invisible, so they blame the guy who let the goals in rather than the forward corps that failed to score them.

That, and the return of our PMD woes heralded in a return of our inability to score in the clutch. Quel surprise there. Andy Ference is a darn good defenseman but he can't be your best PMD. Quick transition was our primary weapon in the playoff run and we didn't have it against the Caps. They were always able to set their defense before we were able to attack.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:02 PM
  #193
gillesgilbert
Registered User
 
gillesgilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Tim Thomas played up to his level in that series against Washington. The issue in that series was our inability to score on a soft defense. People don't want to blame guys we like, such as Marchand who was all but invisible, so they blame the guy who let the goals in rather than the forward corps that failed to score them.

That, and the return of our PMD woes heralded in a return of our inability to score in the clutch. Quel surprise there. Andy Ference is a darn good defenseman but he can't be your best PMD. Quick transition was our primary weapon in the playoff run and we didn't have it against the Caps. They were always able to set their defense before we were able to attack.
Tim had one bad game [game 5] but he rebounded in game 6.While I don't think he played quite as well as he did say in the Vancouver,Tampa Bay and Philly series in the Cup run ,he did play as well as he did against Montreal [in the Cup run] and he gave the team every chance to win the series.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:31 PM
  #194
Neely08
Registered User
 
Neely08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
How come Thomas doesn't get the "tired" benefit of the doubt like board favorites Marchand, Bergeron, Lucic and Krejci? After all, didn't he do the most work? He also had to play more then he should have due to our injured goalie of the future.
Nice!! Yeah, amazing how forgiving TT's detractors were of "Turkko Time!!!".

Despite all that; TT much like the Cup run, once again had the Bruins a single goal away from advancing. Imagine that.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:42 PM
  #195
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,949
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Nice!! Yeah, amazing how forgiving TT's detractors were of "Turkko Time!!!".

Despite all that; TT much like the Cup run, once again had the Bruins a single goal away from advancing. Imagine that.
All with a combined FOUR goals from Lucic, Marchand, Seguin, Krejci and Bergeron... In SEVEN games. He lost THREE games while giving up TWO ****ing goals in each one....

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
  #196
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,434
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
one of the changes to the new CBA per Andy Strickland is the removal of imaginery money thru rookie bonuses included in a teams cap; this is good news if you are Peter Chiarelli. The Islanders apparently have been using this to reach the floor but no more- other teams have done similar.

Maybe this is a landing spot for TT. He is out of Division atleast, gives the Islanders cap hit that will help them reach the floor and who knows, my bet is TT is going to play this year

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:04 PM
  #197
flannelman
They're,Their,There
 
flannelman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lempster, NH
Country: Ireland
Posts: 10,663
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
one of the changes to the new CBA per Andy Strickland is the removal of imaginery money thru rookie bonuses included in a teams cap; this is good news if you are Peter Chiarelli. The Islanders apparently have been using this to reach the floor but no more- other teams have done similar.

Maybe this is a landing spot for TT. He is out of Division atleast, gives the Islanders cap hit that will help them reach the floor and who knows, my bet is TT is going to play this year
stirring the pot, eh, Dan? I'd like to see him play, too. Was thinking the same thing (Islanders) - hey, they acquired Lubomir Visnovsky (sp?) to help them reach the cap floor and still have plenty of open room, and let's be honest, Ricky DiPietro isn't exactly durable.

Sidenote - rookie bonuses - didn't Seguin have one in there if he won the Selke? Sure, give the kid some incentive, but let's be realistic.

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:27 PM
  #198
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
I agree with getting rid of the imaginary bonus money. That was BS.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:33 PM
  #199
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!
 
PatriceBergeronFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,083
vCash: 500
Remember this anyone?



I'd still want him back in a heartbeat.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 07:46 AM
  #200
BrainOfJ
Heartbroken
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 15,909
vCash: 500
I bet there would be a bunch of dumbasses who boo him...even if he came back day 1 from the lockout.

Probably the same that boo the team during the playoffs cause they didnt score a PP goal.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.