HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 26 • Slovakia 2, Russia 3 (OT)

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Slovaki really wins 2-1 if it wasn't for that clear offside non call
It's not like Russia equalized it with 2 minutes to go.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Slovaki really wins 2-1 if it wasn't for that clear offside non call

pretty rough start for russia
It's quiet normal actually

Old
12-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Indian

Good team peformance, I'm happy for the boys and the point. They should take some confidence from this game into the next ones.
Russians will bounce back from this one and start rolling later on.

Old
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
As knowledgable posters predicted this was a close game, very typical start for Russian team. And svk is no walk over either
Yup. Ray is a tool.

Old
TieClark

This happens to Canada almost every time they host... they lose or are far too close in a game they should win and everyone panics. Russia will still be there until at least the semi's.

Old
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabby12 View Post
Lol at people putting Slovakia 9th in the tournament.

Nagy is also the backup by the way so very good for him today. Romancik should be in net for the Canada game
I wouldn´t be too sure about that tbh. And we can still finish 9th in the tourney, today was nice, but ...

Old
12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Dynamo81

Anyway back to KHL two great games on, this result is normal for Russia Surprised so many were shocked? After the Russia Vs USA and Canada matches I will make my assessment on where this team stands.

Well done Slovakia, Always knew they had a decent side and I hope they frustrate someone else

Old
12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

I think Russia wins in the shootout so I was not too disappointed by the OT goal. Nice to see the Slovakian kids play their heart's out. They deserved a win as much as the Russian kids.

This game reminded me why I LOVE this tournament so much. Wonderful match!

Last edited by OttawaRoughRiderFan: 12-26-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old
12-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Slay

Need to make Yakupov going somehow. Yakupov and Khokhlachev played plenty together to understand that there is not much chemistry there. Khokhkachev is not that great as a center, not much playmaking ability, and their line is quite small and got closed in their zone too often for my liking. Wouldn't mind to see Yakupov - Grigorenko - Kucherov line. They looked good and productive together at the U18 couple years ago.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
It's quiet normal actually
Exactly, surprised people were shocked. I thought it would be a close game with Russia getting it done in the third period so going into OT was not expecting for me but knowing Russia this entire scenario is normal When Russia is blowing teams out they lack any grit and power against big teams in important moments mainly due to picking up bad habits. Good to see them playing under pressure right from the get go First goal was preventable. Mironov you idiot, and Shalunov deserves a slap.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
antidotevsk

Nice finish by Albert.
Having much experience of many tournaments I'm still quite sure to keep quite away from making final decisions after the 1st game. Perhaps that tough game will do a favour to the Russian team. The progress will be made and it's quite useful to have such experience at the early start! Who cares about goals during regulation?
Other teams will also pay more attention to the team that plays together the whole season in addition with those who play in KHL. ( i mean Slovan )
Wish Slovaks luck!!!

Old
12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
drew5580

didnt get a chance to see the game but from what i read, Grigorenko played well. What did he do that was good/bad?

Old
12-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post
Need to make Yakupov going somehow. Yakupov and Khokhlachev played plenty together to understand that there is not much chemistry there. Khokhkachev is not that great as a center, not much playmaking ability, and their line is quite small and got closed in their zone too often for my liking. Wouldn't mind to see Yakupov - Grigorenko - Kucherov line. They looked good and productive together at the U18 couple years ago.
Tried it a few times, didn't work.

Yakupov reminds me of Kovalchuk in 08 WC. So much skill and unlucky bounces, hopefully will come through when it matters the most.

If what Varnakov was saying is still true, this is the 1st game since the team is out of physical load phase and should hit peak around playoffs.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:54 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 433
Not the best start, maybe this will wake Russia up.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Fulcrum

I think there were also 2 or 3 near breakaways, like 4-5 open man shots that Russia didn't use. The Grigorenko Kucherov line created a lot and didn't capitalize on many of them. A little more cool-headed finishing will go a long way for this team. But the chances were clearly there.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
The final result leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the first Russian offside goal, but whatever....nice job, boys, much better than I expected....Russians will get it together later on I´m sure...the 1 point is unexpected and all nice, but most probably solves absolutely nothing for Slovakia considering the make-up of the group...
An IIHF rule I never liked is that SVK does not bring this 1 point with them to relegation (unless of course Russia plays in relegation also). This really does make the 1 point rather useless I think.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Havok89

Anyone see who got player of the game for both teams ?

Old
12-26-2012, 11:07 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
An IIHF rule I never liked is that SVK does not bring this 1 point with them to relegation (unless of course Russia plays in relegation also). This really does make the 1 point rather useless I think.
Yeah, I think Germany has been hurt by this repeatedly in the past at U18 WC/WJC. Getting some exra points against top teams and then losing to SUI/SVK/whomever in the relegation round and getting relegated. So I hope we won´t follow their example. Though it doesn´t matter that much as this is the last time that U18 WC/WJC will be played like that...

Old
12-26-2012, 11:09 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Anyone see who got player of the game for both teams ?
Nagy and Vasilevski acc. to IIHF website

Old
12-26-2012, 11:10 AM
DrPabloRamirez

Slovakia was better team in second and third period, deserved more than one point. Slovakia 4 on 3 PP during overtime was complicated with low number of shots, russians played it simply and scored.

Slovak league players were equivalent against star players from famous KHL in this game. Kucherov and Grigorenko was the difference, Grigorenko was the best on ice. Great assist, had two big chances, created another for teamates and won important face-off before game winning goal.

I hope Shalunov will be suspended. It was intention to injury one of the best slovak defenders in this game.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:22 AM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
This. One point means nothing. It would be totally different if we beat Russia. It looks like that Slovaks are not aware of the fact that this loss could cost us quarterfinal

Old
12-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersfanSVK View Post
This. One point means nothing. It would be totally different if we beat Russia. It looks like that Slovaks are not aware of the fact that this loss could cost us quarterfinal
Your expectations are set very high. I think it was a solid effort taking a point away from the host nation, let us focus on the game versus Germany.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:34 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
I think Russia wins in the shootout so I was not too disappointed by the OT goal. Nice to see the Slovakian kids play their heart's out. They deserved a win as much as the Russian kids.

This game reminded me why I LOVE this tournament so much. Wonderful match!
From where I was watching, Russia had a wide advantage in good scoring chances throughout. The Slovaks, who should be commended, played a totally defensive, trapping style and hung on long enough until the stupid penalty by Shalunov put them on the power play for 4 minutes. The Russians squandered a number of great chances by failing to make passes to wide-open teammates, and that is the primary thing they need to correct in the coming games. Defensively, the Russians played very well, except for the needless giveaway by Mironov behind the net that resulted in the first Slovakian goal.

Overall, it was a poor coaching job by Varnakov. Still, there is plenty of time to adjust and play better. The only thing that counts is advancing to the medal round. That was probably accomplished today. In 2003 and 2011, the Russians lost 2 games in the round-robin and still won the Gold Medal. I'm not predicting Gold here, but the Russians are still clearly in the running.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay View Post
No doubt that the Slepyshev-Grigorenko-Kucherov line did not work well today at all. Kucherov got a goal, but there were several occasions where Grigorenko had wide-open teammates, and instead shot the puck himself. Grigorenko has always been known for being good at setting up his teammates, but not today.

Old
12-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Oh well. Great work by the Slovaks to steal a point. Could be huge for them.

Russia is lucky. They played horribly and their first goal was gift from the officials.
The Russians didn't play great, but they generated far more dangerous scoring chances than the Slovaks. The Slovaks goalie made some great saves to keep them in the game. That game could have clearly gotten one-sided quickly, but the Russians made a lot of unforced errors in the offensive zone. The Slovaks played a very smart, totally defensive game, and deserve great credit for almost pulling out an upset.

Closed Thread