Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2012-2013 Trade Rumours

Closed Thread

Old
12-25-2012, 11:52 PM
battfan888

vCash: 500
Brock I really hope your right on the Menard to Brampton thing, seeing as its the final season in Brampton I would hope Stan wouldnt sell off, while they dont have much of a fan base here I think they owe it to their few dedicated fans (like myself and several others) to at least go out fighting, we have an OA spot available and we need any offensive help we can get.

Lets be honest Brampton isnt good enough to be big buyers and make a major push but a small trade like that could go a long way, not to mention Menard is somewhat of a local guy, he was actually somebody I had pegged in the summer about possibly heading for Brampton before he was dealt to Peterborough.

Obviously however I am betting Brampton wont be giving up many assets, while they may want to go out fighting in Brampton I imagine they want to make a very good first impression in North Bay even more next year.

I'm really just hoping Stan doesnt sit idle this year, Menard isnt the big fish in Peterborough so teams looking for Quine and Slater are the ones willing to put up the dough to get them, could make it a tad easier for the Petes to let Menard slip away a bit cheaper.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:42 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Not what I hear. I've heard Ceci is on the move, and that Monahan likely is as well (also, what is the sound reasoning to keep him?). Mind you I'm 3,000 km away now, but my bet is both get dealt.
The reasoning behind keeping Monahan is because there's a good chance he's in the OHL next year. You don't go out and deal somebody like that because unless you're getting a top 96 or a very good 95 there's very little a team could give to satisfy that deal. A team can throw in 2nd rounders but unless you get 5 or 6 of them you will never get the caliber of player like Monahan in the OHL draft with 2nd round picks.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:39 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
A team can throw in 2nd rounders but unless you get 5 or 6 of them you will never get the caliber of player like Monahan in the OHL draft with 2nd round picks.
Adam Henrique and Ryan Ellis on line 1.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:39 PM
sbrug

Is the trade deadline on the 10th at noon?

Old
12-26-2012, 02:47 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Adam Henrique and Ryan Ellis on line 1.

We aren't going to play this game but for every Henrique and Ellis there is Hunter Smith, Taylor Fielding, Ryan Shipley and Jeremy Gottzmann. Fact is with teams not being able to deal future 1st round picks it really hurts the value you get in return for a Monahan. Quite likely you're dealing a top 5 NHL pick for 2nd round picks and if you historically look at the OHL draft there is a better caliber of player selected in the 1st round compared to the 2nd round. This is why Ottawa would be better off keeping Monahan.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:11 PM
dogfan

Really disagree with Brock's article when he suggests that Niagara will look to buy any player. First they don't have the assets to do it and secondly they have all but said they will be sellers. They may have kicked a couple tires to see how much it would cost to buy but there are no seconds for a couple seasons and not many thirds either.
You'd have to think both Strome and Hamilton could get 2 prospects a couple 2nds and other picks at least for each. Ritchie could get a prospect, 2nd and maybe another pick or two. That could be as many as 5 '95's or 96's and 5 or 6 seconds possibly a 19 year old or two as well coming to Niagara by January 10th.

Old
12-26-2012, 03:21 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfan View Post
Really disagree with Brock's article when he suggests that Niagara will look to buy any player. First they don't have the assets to do it and secondly they have all but said they will be sellers. They may have kicked a couple tires to see how much it would cost to buy but there are no seconds for a couple seasons and not many thirds either.
You'd have to think both Strome and Hamilton could get 2 prospects a couple 2nds and other picks at least for each. Ritchie could get a prospect, 2nd and maybe another pick or two. That could be as many as 5 '95's or 96's and 5 or 6 seconds possibly a 19 year old or two as well coming to Niagara by January 10th.
To each their own I guess.

I don't see them adding anything big, so I do realize they don't have a ton of assets to give. But they have an overage spot open, and I could see them grabbing a guy like Menard, Schoenmakers, Findlay, etc for a mid round pick/prospect. Traditionally, you can grab overagers for a pretty good bargain at the deadline.

I just don't see this team selling off it's assets. They currently hold home ice advantage in the first round and have a real chance to do some damage in the wide open Eastern Conference (even a team like Barrie has its holes). Let's be real, the NHL probably isn't going to return this year. Seems pretty unlikely at this point. Which leaves the Dogs with quite a solid roster.

The Dogs are in a tough position too, with Strome and Hamilton. If I'm an OHL team, I have zero interest in either of these two. You'd have to give up a ton of assets to get them, with no guarantee that they aren't gone to an NHL camp a few weeks after you acquire them. The same reason that Niagara might think about dealing them, is the very reason why most OHL teams probably have zero interest in them (save for a deal with serious future considerations clauses).

Just don't see it happening. I see the Dogs standing pat, save for the possible acquisition of an overager (on the cheap) to fill that last slot.

Just my two cents.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:50 PM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
The reasoning behind keeping Monahan is because there's a good chance he's in the OHL next year. You don't go out and deal somebody like that because unless you're getting a top 96 or a very good 95 there's very little a team could give to satisfy that deal. A team can throw in 2nd rounders but unless you get 5 or 6 of them you will never get the caliber of player like Monahan in the OHL draft with 2nd round picks.
Another point perhaps worth making is that due to the arena situation in Ottawa, keeping a high profile name for next year may be a big asset. Due to playing in the west end of the city as their new arena is being built, the crowds are not coming from such a wide geographical area as before, and without a winning team, they need something to sell tickets.

Monahan would have far more trade value next year, and that would be grabbing assets for the year they move into the new arena, which they want to do with a bang.

That is all predicated on Monahan not being in the NHL next year, and I really think its a long shot at best at the moment. I still believe he will be drafted 6-9, and thats a tough sell to go to the NHL based on past history. I know someone mentioned Couterier, but Couterier had accomplished a far bit more at this point in his career than Monahan.

I'll still stand by my odds. 100% Graovac traded, 50% on Ceci, and 10% on Monahan.

Old
12-26-2012, 06:00 PM
OHLTG

Quote:

We aren't going to play this game but for every Henrique and Ellis there is Hunter Smith, Taylor Fielding, Ryan Shipley and Jeremy Gottzmann. Fact is with teams not being able to deal future 1st round picks it really hurts the value you get in return for a Monahan. Quite likely you're dealing a top 5 NHL pick for 2nd round picks and if you historically look at the OHL draft there is a better caliber of player selected in the 1st round compared to the 2nd round. This is why Ottawa would be better off keeping Monahan.
I'm not disagreeing that quality players are tougher to find in the second round, but you said "never", which isn't true.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:00 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
It goes without saying that you would expect to get a very good 95/96 player + picks back. There are teams that could satisfy that requirement, whether they want to or not is another story.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:49 PM
tolmie79

is there any word out there that the colts are rumored in adding another top dmen or a top forward ???

Old
12-26-2012, 09:58 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolmie79 View Post
is there any word out there that the colts are rumored in adding another top dmen or a top forward ???
Yes, there are rumours of both.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Percyma

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Yes, there are rumours of both.

Can you elaborate please? Who have yuo heard might be leaving the Colts and who may be headed to Barrie?

Old
12-27-2012, 12:30 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Agreed. Not many takers.
Good luck with that one....no big loss there. He's got to be one of their biggest draft busts!

Old
12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2012...e-preview.html

My trade deadline preview.

Be curious to see where certain people end up (see my predictions).

I'd find it hard to believe that the Rangers could complete that deal. We just don"t have the high end picks required. One 2nd rounder before 2017 and one 3rd rounder before 2018 won"t get it done.

Ottawa will want better prospects too. Schmalz didn"t even make the U17 team despite being an OHL 1st rounder. Gilbert is a good one though.

I see Spott being forced to tweak the top six and defense group as cheap as he can. Lack of available assets will force him to. Not to mention that this has been Spott"s MO since he took over as GM.

Old
12-27-2012, 05:55 PM
Spitsfan67*

Khoklachev is not returning to his Russian club Spartak hasent been confirmed but have to think he's on his way back to the OHL and because of where the spits are and the fact the spits are looking to next year to make a run IF he did decide to come back to Windsor and IF Spitfire Management decided to trade him what would your offer be?

Old
12-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Percyma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
Khoklachev is not returning to his Russian club Spartak hasent been confirmed but have to think he's on his way back to the OHL and because of where the spits are and the fact the spits are looking to next year to make a run IF he did decide to come back to Windsor and IF Spitfire Management decided to trade him what would your offer be?
I'm thinking that IF Koko does return to Windsor, it would be with the understanding that he won't be traded (so he can not only help the Spits move up the standings but boost Kerby Rychel's NHL Draft status) or if he was to be traded, that Koko would have a say in where he's moved. I can't envision Khokhlachev coming back to Windsor, only to be traded to Erie or Peterborough.

If Koko does end up in Windsor again, it's clearly because he thinks the OHL is the best place for his development before turning pro next season (if there is an NHL season).

Old
12-27-2012, 08:47 PM
NHL Fanatic

Jacob Graves has requested a trade

Old
12-27-2012, 10:59 PM
NHL Fanatic

Personally I think its time for Slater Koekkoek and the Petes to part ways

Old
12-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Petes96

wow I didn't think that Koekkoek's agent would be posting on here..hmm

Old
12-27-2012, 11:47 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
To each their own I guess.

I don't see them adding anything big, so I do realize they don't have a ton of assets to give. But they have an overage spot open, and I could see them grabbing a guy like Menard, Schoenmakers, Findlay, etc for a mid round pick/prospect. Traditionally, you can grab overagers for a pretty good bargain at the deadline.

I just don't see this team selling off it's assets. They currently hold home ice advantage in the first round and have a real chance to do some damage in the wide open Eastern Conference (even a team like Barrie has its holes). Let's be real, the NHL probably isn't going to return this year. Seems pretty unlikely at this point. Which leaves the Dogs with quite a solid roster.

The Dogs are in a tough position too, with Strome and Hamilton. If I'm an OHL team, I have zero interest in either of these two. You'd have to give up a ton of assets to get them, with no guarantee that they aren't gone to an NHL camp a few weeks after you acquire them. The same reason that Niagara might think about dealing them, is the very reason why most OHL teams probably have zero interest in them (save for a deal with serious future considerations clauses).

Just don't see it happening. I see the Dogs standing pat, save for the possible acquisition of an overager (on the cheap) to fill that last slot.

Just my two cents.
Consistent word out of Niagara is that the big named players are being shopped. The potential of an NHL return has nothing to do with why the Dogs are shopping these players. They simply don't have the depth.

From last year, they lost Agozzino, Friesen, Visentin, Oleksiak, F. Hamilton, Kuhnhackle, Pacan and Buekeboom.

Amongst their youth, while there have been some nice showings from Verhaeghe, Haydon and DiFruscia, it isn't consistent, and the team just lacks the depth to make a run for it. It's very much like the team from 2007 (Pietrangelo, Swift, Caputi, Legein, Corrente, Shiestle, Dahm) but weaker on D and in net (and slightly better up front)

Old
12-28-2012, 07:58 AM
PoorPetes
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
I don't care who made that comment, but I tend to agree!

Koekkoek came to camp NOT in shape this year, maybe with a much larger head on his shoulders thanks to the NHL draft, but you'd think if his AGENT had a brain he would have made sure that after his surgery, he'd work extra hard to be as strong as possible, gaining some weight, coming back to the OHL so he's ready for the next level... watch a game and you'll see yourself, he's thin and very easy to knock off his feet and doesn't have any strong presence about him.

The Petes other mistake besides letting their GM go before their head coach in September was making KK the Captain. It's not about being the best hockey player to receive the "C" but to the guy who on and off the ice who leads the team, who works hard on and off the ice (lift a weight ever Slater?), who has the coaches AND players respect and fans for that matter. I see this is the best time for the Petes to get some descent guys in return, let him go, it will be for the best!

Old
12-28-2012, 08:49 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Jacob Graves has requested a trade
Not suprising. Kid gets scratched alot.

Old
12-28-2012, 09:02 AM
jgardz

Rumor at the Knights game last night is Jammes and Welychka to Ottawa for Cecil and Graovic. Was told this prior to Wely's hatty. I dunno if picks are involved as well, also not sure about the source...just repeating what I heard.

Old
12-28-2012, 11:06 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes96 View Post
haha i wish, that would be a good gig, I can see the dollar signs already

Closed Thread