Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2012, 09:46 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
6 SOG today, and 2 goals. Not a bad shooting percentage. I still think he's better as a centre, but it's nice to see him try to adapt his game to an unfamiliar position. His first step needs work though - hopefully this drives him to improve that, as his ultimate speed is now fine.

Also looking forward to seeing Trouba tomorrow. Now, onto the Spengler cup this aft!
The TSN app shows him putting 8 shots on net. Either way, he led the team. Our boy looks to have worked his way into a finishers role on that nutty top line. Scheifele didn't have a perfect game either. A few of his passes were off target and killed rushes. That may have been a matter of him getting used to new line mates, but it definitely shows that there is room for growth. Hopefully he can tidy that up and keep pouring shots on net.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:23 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
The TSN app shows him putting 8 shots on net. Either way, he led the team. Our boy looks to have worked his way into a finishers role on that nutty top line. Scheifele didn't have a perfect game either. A few of his passes were off target and killed rushes. That may have been a matter of him getting used to new line mates, but it definitely shows that there is room for growth. Hopefully he can tidy that up and keep pouring shots on net.
Agree truck.

The SOG I got from the official game sheet on the IIHF site. Not sure where TSN is getting their stats from.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:23 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Slovak's taking it to the Russians! Very exciting finish to this game - tune in, if you haven't been watching.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:31 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Man, the Slovak / Russia game was a nail biter!

Spoiler alert:

Was looking forward to the SO. Alas, Russia buried it with 9.9s left in OT on a PP. Great effort by the Slovaks, and it means that Russia only garnered 2 points, not 3

Old
12-26-2012, 11:59 AM
JetsWillFly4Ever

http://www.tsn.ca/world_jrs/story/?id=412224

Really good article about Scheif and teammate Anthony Camara, really illustrates what kind of guy Scheif is.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Two on the night for Scheifele. Now we wait to see Trouba.
yep.

Scheifele's game at RW is very much a work in progress. I watched part of the 1st, and all the 2nd and 3rd periods this morning. My wife gladly woke me up and sent me off to watch it.

And... just when you think Scheifele's playing uninspired hockey and not doing much, he then comes out and has a dominating shift with 2 or more shots on goal and great plays with his linemates.

So, he's still young, learning to be a pro player, and will be a very good contributor after he's been in the NHL for a couple of years, imo.

Old
12-26-2012, 12:11 PM
surixon

Good to see Mark get 2 goals. I thought he sruggled a bit out of the gate, but got noticably better as the game went on. Even though he didn't score a point he played a real strong third period. Hopefully he continues to get stronger and more confortable on the wing as Canada progresses through the tournament.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Outside of the top line for Canada, I was really impressed with Drouin and Wotherspoon. That kid Draisaitl for Germany looked dynamite, he was really impressive out there as well.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Not sure if it's just me, but I personally don't think team Canada has looked very good through the prelims into today's game.

Imo they're not looking as good as I would've expected.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:47 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Scheifeles game was pretty good. There was one shift where he had three steals. Lack of chemistry in the first on the PP, RNH always seemed to like to slow things down while Scheifele was gung ho, and he'd have to curl back killing the momentum and timing.

I also liked his defensive play, he was playing like a centre while Canada didn't have the puck.

Some of his passes were the best in the game.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Hank Chinaski

Overall, I liked what I saw from Schiefele. At the same time, I felt like it was a bit of a teasing game from him, and that the best is still yet to come. Like mentioned earlier in the thread during the original broadcast (troopers I tell ya!), he looked a bit shaky in the first. You can tell he's still getting used to what his assignments and responsibilities are as a winger. Heck of a job following up the shot on that first goal.

At first glance I'd say that was a bit of a ragged effort from Canada with some bad mental errors, but I would also view this game as a bit of a trial run to find their legs. Their puck movement on the PP and defensive zone coverage is bound to improve.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:51 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Not sure if it's just me, but I personally don't think team Canada has looked very good through the prelims into today's game.

Imo they're not looking as good as I would've expected.
I agree. I'm fairly uneasy about this team aside from the top line and a couple others (Drouin for example).

Old
12-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
I agree. I'm fairly uneasy about this team aside from the top line and a couple others (Drouin for example).

LOL sorry this is OT but I love that your location in Hamsterdam! Also, might that be The Bunk in your pic?

Old
12-26-2012, 04:26 PM
wpgJetsfan

Suban's goaltending is a little weak in the past 2 games. Blocker side seems to be his weak spot. If Canada had played against a stronger opponent I'd say he would've been lit up like a Christmas Tree. But hey, maybe Canada will change to the other goalie in a bigger game.

Old
12-26-2012, 05:07 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgJetsfan View Post
Suban's goaltending is a little weak in the past 2 games. Blocker side seems to be his weak spot. If Canada had played against a stronger opponent I'd say he would've been lit up like a Christmas Tree. But hey, maybe Canada will change to the other goalie in a bigger game.
I thought Subban was fine in net, not much he could really do on any of the goals scored on him. But I agree that stronger teams are going to start shooting blocker side, it will be interesting to see how he adjusts.

Old
12-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Trouba scores!

Old
12-27-2012, 08:49 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Trouba scores!
Weak goal to give up by the German goalie, but still a good play to hit the net with traffic in front!

Old
12-27-2012, 09:01 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Weak goal to give up by the German goalie, but still a good play to hit the net with traffic in front!
Yup its always a good plan to get it on net through traffic. Good to see both of our prospects off to great starts!

Old
12-27-2012, 09:09 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Leon Draisatl for Germany is going to be something special.

In two different games, which included the likes of RNH and Galchenyuk, he has stood out to me as the best player.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:16 AM
GJF
Beaver Jedi

Hands down, am I the only one who thinks that the US team really does look better than Canada?

Old
12-27-2012, 09:18 AM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Hands down, am I the only one who thinks that the US team really does look better than Canada?
Not watching the game but that's entirely possible. Keep in mind that it is still very early in the tournament plus they are getting the Germans on a back to back.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:31 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Hard to tell, but IMO it is more of a matter of Germany looking worse.

The Yanks look really sharp though and they definitely haven't been as scrambly in their own end either.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:38 AM
PaperRockChamp

Trouba has been a treat to watch.

Galchenyuk is scary good.

I have a feeling they are going to bring it HARD on the 30th.

Old
12-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
I've been fairly unimpressed by Canada's defense so far, so no, I agree.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

I wish Trouba was on Team Canada...

Closed Thread