HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC Discussion- Wikstrand Watch!

Old
12-26-2012, 02:09 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Just calling it as I've seen it so far.
I have no problem with the assessments given based on his play during this tournament. It's more like the "guaranteed 30-40 point defenseman in the NHL" comments that make me laugh.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:17 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
I have no problem with the assessments given based on his play during this tournament. It's more like the "guaranteed 30-40 point defenseman in the NHL" comments that make me laugh.
Well obviously no one is guaranteed. The point is, if he doesn't become that, it won't be because the ability isn't there. It's there. He has all the on ice skills necessary to be that.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:10 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Defensemen that get picked in the top 15 almost always have one of two things. A big frame that projects well for the player to hold his own in physical battles or high end puck/skating abilities. Because Vikstrand has neither, I think it's a stretch to say he'd be a first round pick for sure in a redraft no matter how well he's done this year.

That's all I'm saying. I don't claim to be a good enough scout to say where he should have gone other than to say he doesn't look like he should have slipped to the 7th.
Disagree here ap. You're forgetting an attribute that scouts look for that is one of the most important for defenders, poise and hockey IQ. Wikstrand always makes the perfect play it's kind of scary how good he is that you'd think it's just a hot streak. He breaks away defensive plays just as good as setting up offensive ones. It's still early but he is definitely playing like a first round pick, quite easily. Plays in all situations and no major flaws with a booming shot and has surprisingly soft hands for a defender.

His shootout goals are an example of that.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:12 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Disagree here ap. You're forgetting an attribute that scouts look for that is one of the most important for defenders, poise and hockey IQ. Wikstrand always makes the perfect play it's kind of scary how good he is that you'd think it's just a hot streak. He breaks away defensive plays just as good as setting up offensive ones. It's still early but he is definitely playing like a first round pick, quite easily. Plays in all situations and no major flaws with a booming shot and has surprisingly soft hands for a defender.

His shootout goals are an example of that.
I know you want to say Lidstrom light

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:12 PM
ElRossoMatt

Did anyone saw that play late in the game where Wikstrand was clearly beaten to the puck by a czech forward who then had a golden opportunity only to be robbed by the swedish goalie? His skating was terrible there but i think he relaxed halfway through the race for some reason. Or not? What do you guys make of it?

ElRossoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:21 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRossoMatt View Post
Did anyone saw that play late in the game where Wikstrand was clearly beaten to the puck by a czech forward who then had a golden opportunity only to be robbed by the swedish goalie? His skating was terrible there but i think he relaxed halfway through the race for some reason. Or not? What do you guys make of it?
The score at that time was ?

Old
12-26-2012, 06:27 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
I know you want to say Lidstrom light
Don't tempt me

Old
12-26-2012, 06:29 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Don't tempt me
I know, this should be a time of peace and serenity

Old
12-26-2012, 06:36 PM
sg58

Quote:
Don't tempt me
Don't forget that later-round picks must always be compared in style to other later-round picks.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Don't forget that later-round picks must always be compared in style to other later-round picks.
Just like Swedes with Swedes, race with race, etc.

Ex: Josh Ho-Sang = Richard Park

Rhino Reilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:40 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
Hahaha, good one. However, give me an idea...

Lidstrom was 3rd round pick and is arguably 2nd best defender of all-time. So a 7th round Swedish defender should be a top-pairing one for us, maybe 56th all-time or somethin.

Old
12-26-2012, 06:56 PM
ElRossoMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
The score at that time was ?
No it was 4-0 i know, but not just there, through the hole game i felt that his skating needs to improve.

Old
12-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRossoMatt View Post
No it was 4-0 i know, but not just there, through the hole game i felt that his skating needs to improve.
Technically not much wrong with his skating. Laterally he moves well, pivots appear smooth. Not fast or anything it doesn't seem.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 07:55 PM
ElRossoMatt

Quote:
Technically not much wrong with his skating. Laterally he moves well, pivots appear smooth. Not fast or anything it doesn't seem.
I guess i watched Karlsson too much.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:55 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
So why was Cody Ceci drafted in the top 15? His skating and puck skills are none more impressive than what I've seen from Wikstrand. And I'm just being lazy, there's more examples. And I never said anything about the top 15.
So where do people slot Wilkstrand in our (ie Sens) prospect rankings now? Top 5?

I have yet to actually see one of Sweden's games but the Wilstrand love sure is exciting.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:04 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWeb View Post
So where do people slot Wilkstrand in our (ie Sens) prospect rankings now? Top 5?

I have yet to actually see one of Sweden's games but the Wilstrand love sure is exciting.
What? Hell no.

if I had to rank our top prospects...
Silfverberg
Lehner
Zibanejad
Noesen
Ceci
Stone
Weircioch
Puempel
Prince

Then you probably still have guys like Borowiecki and DaCosta ahead of him, so he's not in the top-10. Hoffman, too. He's probably leap-frogged past the likes of Pageau, however... or at the very least is on par.

I want to see more out of him than a small sample size in a lower Swedish league before I start really holding him up as some kind of crown jewel of the system.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:27 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
What? Hell no.

Silfverberg
Lehner
Zibanejad
Noesen
Ceci
Stone
Weircioch
Puempel
Prince

Then you probably still have guys like Borowiecki and DaCosta ahead of him, so he's not in the top-10. Hoffman, too. He's probably leap-frogged past the likes of Pageau, however... or at the very least is on par.

I want to see more out of him than a small sample size in a lower Swedish league before I start really holding him up as some kind of crown jewel of the system.
Yeah right now I'm holding him slightly higher than Marcus Sorensen at this time after his draft year.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
If you're basing Wikstrand off these 3 games I think anyone saying this is anything but a player that should have went in the 1st round is just cautious of being called a homer. Most 1st rounders from last years draft aren't playing at the level he's played at over the first 3 and that goes for the 2nds and 3rds and on. We won't know if that's the case later on but that's the way he's playing in most of our 1st impressions.

pronman's also projected him as a 4th or 5th dman about a month ago and that could pretty well make him a guy some teams may have liked in the 1st. pronman's word is not gospel but we don't exactly have a wealth of independant scouts inside the industry giving us their opinion.
Well I guess he is the only we kind of have to go with but I would be cautious.

He pretty much told me that Lando going 1st overall and becoming the best player in the draft was ludicrous.

I always take Pronman with a grain of salt, not a fan of his.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
What? Hell no.

Silfverberg
Lehner
Zibanejad
Noesen
Ceci
Stone
Weircioch
Puempel
Prince

OK thanks. Seeing talk of him being as good as a first rounder had me thinking he might be higher... but as I mentioned, I haven't actually seen him play.

Good to hear nonetheless.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:34 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
OK thanks. Seeing talk of him being as good as a first rounder had me thinking he might be higher... but as I mentioned, I haven't actually seen him play.

Good to hear nonetheless.
Yeah, I mean, it's a fun ride for sure. Rooting for a guy taken in the 7th round who's clearly played his way out of "7th rounder hur hur" territory is great, and I'm definitely excited to see what the kid can bring over the long haul, but I think there are a few people who need to take a step back and calm down about Wikstrand.

I'm excited about him... but there is absolutely no evidence that this isn't just catching lightning in a bottle. I mean, I don't think that's the case, but if we're arguing about where he belongs in our prospect depth chart, in all honesty, I really want a full season out of him at his current level before I start really shooting him up the ranks.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:37 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I'd wait to finish the viewings of the WJC before I can even judge properly. With that being said, he's just outside of our top 10 if anything.

Old
12-26-2012, 09:46 PM
General Granny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post

He pretty much told me that Lando going 1st overall and becoming the best player in the draft was ludicrous.

This.

He still doesn't understand why Forsberg fell.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

He's gotta sustain this type of stuff for around 2 seasons before he can see the top 5. He has a shot over time based on what I've seen. People will start coming around if he continues to play very well.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:02 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Ya don't take pronmns words as gospel, don't take any scouts word as gospel, most of the, are constantly wrong but if they opine without conviction they can't be takin seriously.

He does have access to opinions in the industry and he knows it's bold to praise a 7th rounder like that. Can't say I disagree with him being positive about the guy.

Old
12-26-2012, 10:06 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:

Well, Lando was very close to that and who knows.

I've found Pronman to be very insightful in his prospect knowledge. He does digging beyond the appearances prospects first impose.