HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Mikael Wikstrand

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2012, 01:50 PM
  #51
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,816
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
You can twist my words out of context as much as you wish, but I've been pretty damn clear that he's played like a 1st rounder through 3 games I've seen, and that this is not enough of a sample size to make conclusions.

The problem with HF is some jump to conclusions and assume everyone's an idiot.

If he plays like crap against Canada, I'll adjust my thinking.
I should first stipulate that in the limited viewings of Wikstrand that i have had, he has impressed me. Impressive statistics, tool box and development curve. Definitely an interesting prospect.

However, the last line you give somewhat contradicts the whole opinion. If one game can affect your thinking on a player, then something is fundamentally wrong. If one game can change your mind, then your sample size before likely isn't strong enough, or you're simply a fickle evaluator of talent. People make this mistake far too often with both team and players. They see one game where a player plays poorly (especially perhaps relative to the hype) and adjust their opinion. Realistically, teams and players (young players especially) will vary from game to game in performance.

We shouldn't be bothering to talk about Wikstrand relative to an NHL draft. He's been drafted. The draft for all players taken in 2012 is irrelevant (outside of money for contracts) ; it is what lays ahead that is important. Wikstrand seems to be a very promising player who could one day become a solid NHL player, or more. No need to bring pointless discussions of the NHL draft back ; it's done and dusted.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:12 PM
  #52
Dempsey
Registered User
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
However, the last line you give somewhat contradicts the whole opinion. If one game can affect your thinking on a player, then something is fundamentally wrong.
Do you know what it means when someone admits that their viewing sample size is small?

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:35 PM
  #53
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,816
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Do you know what it means when someone admits that their viewing sample size is small?
And do you know what it means when someone states something, only to say this view may change via one more viewing.

Do you not see the sillyness of it?

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:56 PM
  #54
Micklebot
Registered User
 
Micklebot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
And do you know what it means when someone states something, only to say this view may change via one more viewing.

Do you not see the sillyness of it?
It would actually be silly not to adjust your thinking if that one viewing comprises 25% of all your viewings.

The point is with a small sample, you can't make any conclusions. What MOO is saying is that if this small sample (of 3 games) is representative of his actual skill level and not just a blip on the radar, then he'll be quite the steal.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:10 PM
  #55
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,816
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
It would actually be silly not to adjust your thinking if that one viewing comprises 25% of all your viewings.

The point is with a small sample, you can't make any conclusions. What MOO is saying is that if this small sample (of 3 games) is representative of his actual skill level and not just a blip on the radar, then he'll be quite the steal.
If you catch 3 good games, and one poor game, what do you think? Do you use the poor game as a representation, or do you simple still think "Has interesting tools, projectable, will keep eye on" rather than pointless talk about the 1st round of the draft.

It could and should have been left at that. Instead needless useless talk of where he should have gone in the draft comes up. The draft is done. It's really useless to frame his development path within the restrictions of "what tier would he go now".

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:34 PM
  #56
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
WasTeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,290
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
This place is a Zoo come WJC time. One of the reasons I hate this tournament is how much people judge kids off these games. Having a good tournament doesn't guarantee you NHL stardom.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:39 PM
  #57
newerabegins
Registered User
 
newerabegins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasTeD View Post
This place is a Zoo come WJC time. One of the reasons I hate this tournament is how much people judge kids off these games. Having a good tournament doesn't guarantee you NHL stardom.
..like ryan omarra would say

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:40 PM
  #58
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: A Blue Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
saw him play for the first time against czech today. was suprised how physical he was. does he always play like that?
Most of what I've seen of him was at Sens development camp so sample size is VERY limited but I believe he was drafted based on his defensive prowess and physicality. That's at least the impression that I got post draft. I recall staff comparing him to fellow Swede and Sens 2011 pick Freddie Claesson who's of similar stature and plays an aggressive brand of defense.

They looked very similar in their first development camps (2011 and 2012) in my eyes. Both didn't look out of place and were pleasant surprises for late round picks coming over from Europe.

Fast forward to today, Claesson just turned 20 and is playing quite well for a very good Binghamton Senators team. Great PKer and progressing well as the defensive minded D he was projected as. Wikstrand on the other hand is showing something that I doubt most scouts or coaches saw with his offensive game. Sens did a good job scouting these guys, nice pick ups in the 5th and 7th.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:54 PM
  #59
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
I should first stipulate that in the limited viewings of Wikstrand that i have had, he has impressed me. Impressive statistics, tool box and development curve. Definitely an interesting prospect.

However, the last line you give somewhat contradicts the whole opinion. If one game can affect your thinking on a player, then something is fundamentally wrong. If one game can change your mind, then your sample size before likely isn't strong enough, or you're simply a fickle evaluator of talent. People make this mistake far too often with both team and players. They see one game where a player plays poorly (especially perhaps relative to the hype) and adjust their opinion. Realistically, teams and players (young players especially) will vary from game to game in performance.

We shouldn't be bothering to talk about Wikstrand relative to an NHL draft. He's been drafted. The draft for all players taken in 2012 is irrelevant (outside of money for contracts) ; it is what lays ahead that is important. Wikstrand seems to be a very promising player who could one day become a solid NHL player, or more. No need to bring pointless discussions of the NHL draft back ; it's done and dusted.
"Adjust my thinking" is very vague but it seems like you assumed what I meant, and I guess that's not unexpected.

If he sucks against Canada say, it'll be a D mark to go with some A marks. Meaning "continue to evaluate to find his consistent level". Opinions on players are pretty volatile in the early going. I don't expect him to suck against Canada but its those games that will carry a lot of weight.

To be fair, he's been turning heads all year this is just our first chance to see him. Easy for me to say he's better than I expected.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:59 PM
  #60
Dempsey
Registered User
 
Dempsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
And do you know what it means when someone states something, only to say this view may change via one more viewing.

Do you not see the sillyness of it?
No. This is the first look that the vast majority of north american hockey fans are seeing of Wikstrand. Opinions are starting to be formed, like it or not. It's not silly for anyone to start being cautiously optimistic about his play after a few games.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:26 PM
  #61
J17 Vs Proclamation
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Reading.
Country: South Korea
Posts: 7,816
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
No. This is the first look that the vast majority of north american hockey fans are seeing of Wikstrand. Opinions are starting to be formed, like it or not. It's not silly for anyone to start being cautiously optimistic about his play after a few games.
You've fundamentally missed my point.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:15 PM
  #62
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
However, the last line you give somewhat contradicts the whole opinion. If one game can affect your thinking on a player, then something is fundamentally wrong. If one game can change your mind, then your sample size before likely isn't strong enough, or you're simply a fickle evaluator of talent. People make this mistake far too often with both team and players. They see one game where a player plays poorly (especially perhaps relative to the hype) and adjust their opinion. Realistically, teams and players (young players especially) will vary from game to game in performance.

We shouldn't be bothering to talk about Wikstrand relative to an NHL draft. He's been drafted. The draft for all players taken in 2012 is irrelevant (outside of money for contracts) ; it is what lays ahead that is important. Wikstrand seems to be a very promising player who could one day become a solid NHL player, or more. No need to bring pointless discussions of the NHL draft back ; it's done and dusted.
Thank you. Talking about draft position at this point is just stupid, and doing it just to be able to possibly say "I told you so" is even more stupid.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:24 PM
  #63
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?
 
Andre Benoit Bawls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 50
And, as usual, by page 3 of an HF thread the discussion becomes about the discussion rather than the actual topic at hand.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:29 PM
  #64
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Thank you. Talking about draft position at this point is just stupid, and doing it just to be able to possibly say "I told you so" is even more stupid.
No it isn't, you're making it even more fun to potentially tell you I told ya so. Don't forget this's the Internet, man. Serious business.

There is absolutely nothing wrong to say so far he has played as though you would expect a 1st rounder to play. Grrrr, get angry Expert....

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.