Notices

2013 World Junior Championships

Old
12-26-2012, 08:36 PM
brom7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Watched a few Sarnia games and the kid is alone on that team. He has serious talent and is a great leader. They got a good one unfortunately
Agreed. He is that team, he seems especially dangerous when he's on the Power Play, rom what I've seen of the highlights anyway.

It's a shame, I like seeing them way down by Toronto in the standings

brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
What are you saying?

Goal and hit courtesy of dafoomie:
If he hit RNH or Huberdeau low like that instead of some random kid there would be a thread on the main board calling for him to be banned from ever putting skates on again just like when Marchand hit Salo and everyone cried.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:49 PM
brom7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
If he hit RNH or Huberdeau low like that instead of some random kid there would be a thread on the main board calling for him to be banned from ever putting skates on again just like when Marchand hit Salo and everyone cried.
My first take on the the hit: "Well, him and Marchand should hit it off right away"

brom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 08:56 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Denis Potvin would have been a healthy scratch had those types of hits been illegal... Thing of beauty right there.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:06 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

Speaking of hits, did anyone see Shalunov's hit in the first period of the RUS/CZE game? Good stuff.

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by OduyaLaichBoyes View Post
My first take on the the hit: "Well, him and Marchand should hit it off right away"
reminds me more of the low hit Hamhuis threw on Looch in game 1 of the finals. No penalty, no 700 hundred post thread on the main board, just a nice little groin pull for dumba$$ Hamhuis rendering him ineffective the rest of the series.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Alicat
Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
reminds me more of the low hit Hamhuis threw on Looch in game 1 of the finals. No penalty, no 700 hundred post thread on the main board, just a nice little groin pull for dumba$$ Hamhuis rendering him ineffective the rest of the series.
I thought he hurt something a bit lower or was that a rumor?

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:22 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Gorgeous goal and hit. Hope he gets a chance next year to play for us Koko is Chiarelli's only really good draft pick outside of the obvious gifts from Burke.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Hamilton is more then likely just falling into some bad habits... He is in desperate need to be around guys like Julien and Chara IMO.

As far as Subban, I can understand Spott not wanting to create distraction in net, but Subban right now may be the second best goalie on TC. I know he has the track record and all, but he is under a load of pressure right now.
I was a big fan of both goalies in their draft years and actually wanted the Bruins to draft Binnington two years ago - but that's a story for a different day.

Subban got the starters for three reasons: He has more international experience, he handles the pressure slightly better than Binnington, and in the event of a shootout, there isn't a goalie in the tournament that has a better track record than Subban. (something that has to be considered in a tournament like this)

Spott isn't the type of coach to sit on his hands. If Subban costs them a game early, he'll make the switch.

Taking off the biased glasses here, but if it was my call, I would have started Binnington in game one and Subban in game two and gone from there.

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Ratty

Quote:
Heck, The Chief made a living at that type of check (Actually, he did a little more, like 500+ goals). Wasn't illegal then.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:12 AM
ODAAT

Really concerned about a few things, however, if they clean them up a touch, TC should be ok. Subban fighting rebound issues early on here, the D struggling from 1 through 6 clearing both the rebounds and opponents from the front of the net and TC really seems confused with their breakout`s, general sloppyness all over so far (including the 2 tune ups) but again, a bit more practice time to become more familiar will certainly help.

One of the reasons I love this tourney so much, YES, even in those years when TC isn`t a gold medal champ, I just love watching teams that come together in a short time, find it interesting watching a team gel and the upset factor

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:14 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
Heck, The Chief made a living at that type of check (Actually, he did a little more, like 500+ goals). Wasn't illegal then.
Pretty sure it was encouraged Ratty

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Wow, the U.S. looks like it pushed the EASY button vs. Germany.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:48 AM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

Grzelcyk was going to be added to the team if they felt they lacked offensive firepower from the blueline. Sieloff was going to be added if they needed more of a shutdown game back there.

Doesn't look like they really need either.

BUT Murphy looked like he made it through the entire game with no issues, and with that in mind, I think we see Gryz added to the roster sometime tonight.

Old
12-27-2012, 10:52 AM
MattFromFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan_37 View Post
Watched a few Sarnia games and the kid is alone on that team. He has serious talent and is a great leader. They got a good one unfortunately
He was my 2nd favorite player in this draft, only behind Yakupov. Still can't fathom that Howson passed over him to draft Ryan Murray, especially when: A.) They needed scoring when they were going to trade Nash, and B.) The strongest unit on their team was already the blue line.

I'm not slighting Murray at all, he's a talented kid, but Galchenyuk was the no-brainer selection at #2. Howson was probably scared of the "Russian Factor", especially since he went on the record that he wouldn't have drafted Yakupov had CBJ received the #1 pick. Galchenyuk is the total opposite of the Russian stereotype (greedy, selfish, lazy, only plays when he wants, etc.).

MattFromFranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
I'm not slighting Murray at all, he's a talented kid, but Galchenyuk was the no-brainer selection at #2. Howson was probably scared of the "Russian Factor", especially since he went on the record that he wouldn't have drafted Yakupov had CBJ received the #1 pick. Galchenyuk is the total opposite of the Russian stereotype (greedy, selfish, lazy, only plays when he wants, etc.).
Galchenyuk is my favorite player from the 2012 draft. I liked him even better than Yakupov and think he'll end up being the better player. That being said, I completely understand Columbus going with Murray. Murray is probably the safest player in the draft in that he's pretty much a lock to be a top 3/4 defenseman at the minimum. Galchenyuk was much more of a wildcard with his injury. When you look at Columbus' draft history, it's not surprising that they went with a safer pick. They really can't afford to pick another complete bust.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:25 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

Tweet from USA Hockey guru Chris Peters just now:

Quote:
Chris Peters ‏@chrismpeters

"Still a bit confused by the 7th Dman situation for Team USA. Wouldn't recommend lining up with 6 vs. Russia if they can help it. #2013WJC"
Haven't really looked at it that way. Russia's not the team I wanna send only 6 D out against. Too much speed and talent. They'll wear them down.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
So what your saying is your fine with dirty hits...so you enjoyed the hit on Horton...

It was low, he received a penalty and why would Canadian fans cry foul over another team's player being injured
No? I think you missed the point.

It wasn't a deliberate hit to the head like Hortons or Savards. It was a hip check that was perfectly clean but now a days you can't throw a hip check without people crying for clipping. He didn't go at his knee or anything dirty but the NHL is getting soft now. Like Lou and Ratty said players used to earn a living for hits like that but now they are frowned upon.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:02 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
I was a big fan of both goalies in their draft years and actually wanted the Bruins to draft Binnington two years ago - but that's a story for a different day.

Subban got the starters for three reasons: He has more international experience, he handles the pressure slightly better than Binnington, and in the event of a shootout, there isn't a goalie in the tournament that has a better track record than Subban. (something that has to be considered in a tournament like this)

Spott isn't the type of coach to sit on his hands. If Subban costs them a game early, he'll make the switch.

Taking off the biased glasses here, but if it was my call, I would have started Binnington in game one and Subban in game two and gone from there.
Joe and I an both vouch for this and I remember our conversations vividly then...

BTW, thanks for the heads up on Evan McEneny ..Drafted him in round 5 this past HFL draft.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Joe and I an both vouch for this and I remember our conversations vividly then...

BTW, thanks for the heads up on Evan McEneny ..Drafted him in round 5 this past HFL draft.
Wait...you guys are using pros?? Oh boy.

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:49 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamDegs13 View Post
Tweet from USA Hockey guru Chris Peters just now:

Haven't really looked at it that way. Russia's not the team I wanna send only 6 D out against. Too much speed and talent. They'll wear them down.
Have to think the decision is made in the morning because giving up a defenseman against Russia just for kicks is pretty stupid. It makes little sense to me that it's gotten this far but that game has to force their hand into making the decision.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 11:27 PM
bruinsfan46

@simmerpuck: BREAKING Team USA to keep Patrick Sieloff as 7th D-man. he'll dress. Matt Grzelcyk returns home tmrw. #USAWJC #WJC2013

Decision finally made, Grzelcyk got cut.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2012, 12:30 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
@simmerpuck: BREAKING Team USA to keep Patrick Sieloff as 7th D-man. he'll dress. Matt Grzelcyk returns home tmrw. #USAWJC #WJC2013

Decision finally made, Grzelcyk got cut.
Lame.

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote