HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres could lose TJ Brennan for nothing in return

Old
07-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey18 View Post
I believe if he makes over a certqain amount in his AHL salary, he has to clear waivers
AFAIK the only thing that matters are the age/game played thresholds, but I could be wrong.

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:42 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
AFAIK the only thing that matters are the age/game played thresholds, but I could be wrong.
No, you're right.

vcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:45 AM
hockey18

vCash: 500
so if brennan signs a two way contract , each time he is recalled he has to clear waivers?

hockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
so if brennan signs a two way contract , each time he is recalled he has to clear waivers?
Contract type has nothing to do with waiver eligibility (contrary to years of EA's NHL games). It's years of service/games played that determine waiver eligibility.

And if it is an emergency recall, then he does not have to clear but has to return immediately when the team gets back to 6 healthy D-men.

07-02-2012, 08:55 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I'm pretty sure there's a salary limit. If you make 105,000 or below, you are exempt from re-entry waivers. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it's something along those lines.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:06 AM
hockey18

i was under the impression that it had to do with salary also. I believe its 105000 like you said or maybe a little lower.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:29 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
13.3 Re-Entry Waivers. A Player who requires Regular Waivers may not be Recalled
without first clearing Re-Entry Waivers, in accordance with Section 50.9(g) of this
Agreement.
50.9(g) discusses salary cap implications which are beyond the scope of this discussion.

The ONLY thing that affects a player's waiver status is age/game played levels. That's it.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 09:30 AM
jfb392

Quote:
i was under the impression that it had to do with salary also. I believe its 105000 like you said or maybe a little lower.
If the AHL salary of a player is greater than $105,000 (most of the time when this happens it means that the player is on a one-way contract because AHL salary is the same as NHL salary in that case), they have to clear re-entry waivers when being recalled.
Anything below $105,000 and you don't have to worry about re-entry.
However, all waiver eligible players have to clear regular waivers to be assigned to the minors, regardless of salary.

That means that Brennan would likely be safe on the way up, but he would not be when going down to the minors.
They can fanangle around that as long as they get him through waivers at the beginning of the season though by using the 10 games/30 days exemption.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:26 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I'm pretty sure there's a salary limit. If you make 105,000 or below, you are exempt from re-entry waivers. I'm not sure of the specifics, but it's something along those lines.
Re-entry, but not regular waivers, and they re-entry waivers don't apply to emergency recalls which would be the only reason Brennan gets recalled.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:32 PM
hockey18

yea, pretty sure the only reason he would get recalled is in emergency. OUr shutdown pair was -40 with 6 points, that will win alot of games! buffalo plays not to lose, they don't go for the wins!

Old
07-02-2012, 03:59 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
If the AHL salary of a player is greater than $105,000 (most of the time when this happens it means that the player is on a one-way contract because AHL salary is the same as NHL salary in that case), they have to clear re-entry waivers when being recalled.
Anything below $105,000 and you don't have to worry about re-entry.
However, all waiver eligible players have to clear regular waivers to be assigned to the minors, regardless of salary.

That means that Brennan would likely be safe on the way up, but he would not be when going down to the minors.They can fanangle around that as long as they get him through waivers at the beginning of the season though by using the 10 games/30 days exemption.
except if he was an emergency recall for injury/illness, where he'd be safe both ways

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Lessavyfav

TJ Brennan

TJ Brennan has to be sent through waivers to be sent to Rochester. Because of this, what will the Sabres do? Would another team claim him if he was waived? Would the Sabres try trading him? Does he even have a future with the organization?

Lessavyfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessavyfav View Post
TJ Brennan has to be sent through waivers to be sent to Rochester. Because of this, what will the Sabres do? Would another team claim him if he was waived? Would the Sabres try trading him? Does he even have a future with the organization?
I hope he has a future... I really like his game...but as of now..he's on the outside looking in.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Lessavyfav

Apologies. I will go back to lurking.

Lessavyfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:29 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessavyfav View Post
I think right now he's set to get sent down, but I don't think he'll get claimed.

Most teams have their own fringe guys so they won't claim Brennan. Remember, Gragnani had no problem going back down to the minors.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 10:34 PM
jfb392

I don't know if he'd be claimed on waivers, but it only takes one team and possibly one pro scout to really push for him.
He's put up an above average amount of goals in the AHL and some team might take a shot at him if they end up with some injuries in camp and want a guy that may have high upside.
However, since he has almost no NHL experience, it's more likely that he'd go unclaimed.

As for if the Sabres try to trade him, I'd say not as a single piece.
He's not really a valuable commodity at the NHL level because of lack of experience, so he'd probably only be good for a late pick or swap for a similar type of player.
He'd probably be better as part of a package.

His future in the organization is up in the air at this point.
He's still pretty raw in my opinion, although he's shown progression.
I expressed concern early this season about whether or not he'd ever put it together at the NHL level and that concern has only been lessened slightly.
He got his first taste of the NHL and didn't look bad, but I don't know if he'll ever reach his offensive potential in the NHL.
He seems to be a physical specimen, but his sense is a big concern because he did not commit to hockey until he was much older.

Old
12-26-2012, 08:58 PM
Superhero

Did Brennan clear waivers already? How does the lockout affect him? Can any team claim him when the lockout ends? If he stays on the Sabres team what defenseman would have to clear waivers to go down to Rochester?

Superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:04 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
Did Brennan clear waivers already?
No, he circumvented waivers and signed an AHL contract.
Quote:
How does the lockout affect him? Can any team claim him when the lockout ends?
Not unless he's waived for purpose of re-assignment to Rochester.
Quote:
If he stays on the Sabres team what defenseman would have to clear waivers to go down to Rochester?
All of them are waiver eligible, but Pardy and Weber may make it through.

Old
12-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
No, he circumvented waivers and signed an AHL contract. Not unless he's waived for purpose of re-assignment to Rochester. All of them are waiver eligible, but Pardy and Weber may make it through.
Good info. Thanks.

I think that Pardy would clear waivers. They won't risk loosing Weber.

I think the Sabres would keep Brennan (a la MA.G) by making space on the roster or they will trade him.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote