HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Schultz

Old
12-25-2012, 04:11 PM
SDig14

vCash: 500
Don't worry folks, you will have another update very soon! Be patient.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 04:45 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Those are your words, not mine. There's a grey area between sucking and what I read over here.
There is no comments about him sucking because he is the best defenseman in the AHL. There are no articles about him not living up to the hype because he is dominating right now. It has NOTHING to do with being an Oiler fan or not, he has simply been outstanding. That is the consensus unbiased view. If you would care to find some articles or bring up some points that suggest otherwise then be my guest.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
There is no comments about him sucking because he is the best defenseman in the AHL. There are no articles about him not living up to the hype because he is dominating right now. It has NOTHING to do with being an Oiler fan or not, he has simply been outstanding. That is the consensus unbiased view. If you would care to find some articles or bring up some points that suggest otherwise then be my guest.
I dont need to repeat what has been said by others already. Arguments which I can understand and that's different than saying he sucks. We have come to the point that this has turned into a Justin Schultz love fest. We all have to jump on the bandwagon. People are being ridiculed who think otherwise. That has everything to do with Oiler fans. That was my point.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Dempsey

vCash: 50
You've gotta love when a player is doing so well that just simply stating facts about his play so far is considered to be bragging.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 06:18 PM
judge301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Well if you mean post season all stars there are 10 spots every year.

I'll say the group of 5 gets less than 5 of those spots over their careers. You want the over?

If you mean making the all star game then that's more reasonable IMO.
Well, did he say post season allstars? Why would you imply he did or meant to? Your arguement lost all credibility it was tryin g to hold on to at this point.... Give it up.

judge301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:32 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
I dont need to repeat what has been said by others already. Arguments which I can understand and that's different than saying he sucks. We have come to the point that this has turned into a Justin Schultz love fest. We all have to jump on the bandwagon. People are being ridiculed who think otherwise. That has everything to do with Oiler fans. That was my point.
What is the answer you're looking for? What do you want people to say?

Here is my unbiased opinion, and I mean that honestly - because I was skeptical at first like many and absolutely cannot stand Edmonton's ownership and management, and am quick to call a player out/rag on a guy for underachieving. There was a lot of hype going into this season for the Oilers farm team, lots of posters both here and on the Oilers board (not just Oiler fans, I mean) expecting the Barons to crush the league, breeze through the competition with certain players putting up ridiculous point totals. Buts it clear now that Hall is rusty and does not have the greatest hands, and that their depth players i.e. later round picks and prospects from previous drafts are underachieving and still have a ways to go. It's been disappointing so far.

I've watched many games from this season. Schultz has stretches where he's soft defensively, particularly in front of his own net and his physical game is close to non existent. He likes to take risks and jumps into the rush and can get caught out of position - badly - at times. However, his hockey sense, offensive skill set and instincts overall are elite, at least at the AHL level. But watching him among other NHL'ers or highly touted prospects playing in the A, it's fairly plain to see his game will translate to the bigs rather well. He is an excellent skater. He has an excellent first pass. He possesses a beautiful, accurate wrist shot which can shoot extremely hard. I mean he's been off the charts offensively, these are all facts. All the gushing and this so called love fest is totally warranted in that regard, I can confidently say.

Defensively though as I said, he leaves some to be desired and has his lapses, particularly against stronger, more physical players than him; however he is not even close to being considered poor or bad or even below average in his own end. His transition game is the best part of his qualities as a player overall. He gets the puck with positioning and stickwork and either passes the puck out quickly or just skates it out himself. So while he has room to develop defensively (obviously, being his first season in the pros after NCAA), the first reaction to his play has to be exceedingly good. Plays big minutes in all situations, looks borderline unstoppable offensively at times, with positives far outweighing negatives.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 07:55 PM
KidLine93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
What is the answer you're looking for? What do you want people to say?

Here is my unbiased opinion, and I mean that honestly - because I was skeptical at first like many and absolutely cannot stand Edmonton's ownership and management, and am quick to call a player out/rag on a guy for underachieving. There was a lot of hype going into this season for the Oilers farm team, lots of posters both here and on the Oilers board (not just Oiler fans, I mean) expecting the Barons to crush the league, breeze through the competition with certain players putting up ridiculous point totals. Buts it clear now that Hall is rusty and does not have the greatest hands, and that their depth players i.e. later round picks and prospects from previous drafts are underachieving and still have a ways to go. It's been disappointing so far.

I've watched many games from this season. Schultz has stretches where he's soft defensively, particularly in front of his own net and his physical game is close to non existent. He likes to take risks and jumps into the rush and can get caught out of position - badly - at times. However, his hockey sense, offensive skill set and instincts overall are elite, at least at the AHL level. But watching him among other NHL'ers or highly touted prospects playing in the A, it's fairly plain to see his game will translate to the bigs rather well. He is an excellent skater. He has an excellent first pass. He possesses a beautiful, accurate wrist shot which can shoot extremely hard. I mean he's been off the charts offensively, these are all facts. All the gushing and this so called love fest is totally warranted in that regard, I can confidently say.

Defensively though as I said, he leaves some to be desired and has his lapses, particularly against stronger, more physical players than him; however he is not even close to being considered poor or bad or even below average in his own end. His transition game is the best part of his qualities as a player overall. He gets the puck with positioning and stickwork and either passes the puck out quickly or just skates it out himself. So while he has room to develop defensively (obviously, being his first season in the pros after NCAA), the first reaction to his play has to be exceedingly good. Plays big minutes in all situations, looks borderline unstoppable offensively at times, with positives far outweighing negatives.

I hope this is the case, since he currently has the 3rd best ppg in the AHL (not 100% sure but pretty sure only Schultz and Eberle are ahead). Imagine what his stats would look like if he wasent rusty

KidLine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 08:02 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Why would anyone think otherwise?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2012, 08:43 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Fair enough, some of the Oiler fans on here can be very one-sided. But at the same time, speaking objectively, it has been hard to find any discernable faults in Schultz's game. That is why I say I am open to hearing any opinions or reasons why Schultz should be thought of anything less than one of the top prospects in the world right now.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:48 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Why would anyone think otherwise?
What's that for strange subjective question ? This is now exactly what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Fair enough, some of the Oiler fans on here can be very one-sided. But at the same time, speaking objectively, it has been hard to find any discernable faults in Schultz's game. That is why I say I am open to hearing any opinions or reasons why Schultz should be thought of anything less than one of the top prospects in the world right now.
Well Philly85 had some interesting things to say. It's a mystery to me why he was so irritated in the beginning but it was refreshing nonetheless.

Last edited by Frolov 6'3: 12-26-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old
12-26-2012, 07:36 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
What do you mean exactly?
Oiler fans and other fans as well if you read the entire thread are hyping up a prospect who was hyped to the high heavens, by many experts by the way, and has not only lived up to the hype but is destroying a pro league on a record level as a freaking rookie. Did you expect Oiler fans to say Eh, he's ok?

I don't see any outlandish things said in this thread by most Oiler fans so i'm not sure what you're trying to say.
He has a chance to be a really, really good NHLer. Is that so far fetched?

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:18 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
lived up to the hype but is destroying a pro league on a record level as a freaking rookie.
Keeping up the hype (and increasing), not living up to them yet (not his fault since lockout).

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:36 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Wish he was with the Canucks.

I don't even want to know what that idiot AV had to say to him to entice him to play for the Canucks.

'You're gonna sit in the pressbox. Too much O and not enough D. You want to score? Should have been a forward then!'

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:38 AM
doulos

Quote:
Those are your words, not mine. There's a grey area between sucking and what I read over here.
Justin Schultz is not immortal and he has not (yet) cured cancer. Just keeping things even keel for you.

The guy is on pace to destroy records as a rookie in the AHL. What exactly are you expecting people to say right now?

Boy he's sure looked average as he leads the league?

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by judge301 View Post
Well, did he say post season allstars? Why would you imply he did or meant to? Your arguement lost all credibility it was tryin g to hold on to at this point.... Give it up.
No I was asking for clarification because the term all star is usually in reference to post season all stars, as opposed to playing in the all star game.

For example when we say Wayne Gretzky is a 15 time all star, it's talking about his 1st and 2nd team berths, no one refers to him being a 18 time all star for going to 18 all star games.

To ask for clarification on that quite important point somehow ruins my credibility?

Okay whatever I guess.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Justin Schultz is not immortal and he has not (yet) cured cancer. Just keeping things even keel for you.

The guy is on pace to destroy records as a rookie in the AHL. What exactly are you expecting people to say right now?

Boy he's sure looked average as he leads the league?
Not sure if it's the weather because I constantly get to read these rhetorical questions. And for the 56th time....not everything is that black/white

Hopefully he will have a more successful NHL career than the ones who set those AHL records.

Old
12-26-2012, 04:23 PM
frag2

Quote:
No I was asking for clarification because the term all star is usually in reference to post season all stars, as opposed to playing in the all star game.

For example when we say Wayne Gretzky is a 15 time all star, it's talking about his 1st and 2nd team berths, no one refers to him being a 18 time all star for going to 18 all star games.

To ask for clarification on that quite important point somehow ruins my credibility?

Okay whatever I guess.
Using semantics now...grasping for straws?

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Using semantics now...grasping for straws?
There are no semantics going on here at all.

Actually there is, you talk about semantics like it a bad thing though?

If you don't understand the normal practice of referring to all stars then either you don't pay attention or are a new hockey fan.

People in hockey circles generally refer to the all star post season when talking about the term, at least I was polite to ask for the clarification on the point.

Some of the nonsense that gets thrown out when one doesn't drink the kool-aid 100% is just plain silly here, like shooting % translating into the NHL at 10-12%.

The facts and NHL data are out there and it's not complicated.

People need to look into the likelihood or something happening rather than pulling on their team jersey and wanting something to happen.

Either way the distinction is important but then again you are here for different reasons than I am probably.

Schultz is off to a great start in some pretty good conditions in the AHL this year.

How that translates to NHL success remains to be seen.

Also Edmonton fans are like fans everywhere I presume and should at least be wondering how such a talented team with alot of exceptional talent and potential is still only 3 games above .500 in the AHL?

Frankly with all the hype that seems to be lost in these discussions sometimes.

Last edited by Hardyvan123: 12-26-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old
12-26-2012, 10:28 PM
HavlatMach9

Generally all star players are those who make an appearance at the all star games. The only time 1st/2nd all star is brought up is in a list of accomplishments, but generally it's appearances.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:56 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Also Edmonton fans are like fans everywhere I presume and should at least be wondering how such a talented team with alot of exceptional talent and potential is still only 3 games above .500 in the AHL?

It's not lost on our board in the threads where we're discussing that topic. The Barons have similar problem as the Oilers. They have a young D which is iffy at times, poor secondary scoring, and lack the goaltending to reliably cover for those deficiencies.

But that isn't the topic of this thread. The topic here is Justin Schultz, who's been nothing short of magnificent this season.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
It's not lost on our board in the threads where we're discussing that topic. The Barons have similar problem as the Oilers. They have a young D which is iffy at times, poor secondary scoring, and lack the goaltending to reliably cover for those deficiencies.

But that isn't the topic of this thread. The topic here is Justin Schultz, who's been nothing short of magnificent this season.
Yes to your last part but it's still the AHL.

Much like the Johnny Gaudreau hype on his incredible season it doesn't really tell us that much about future NHL success.

Johnny might not be a fair example but it's an obvious one in that the most ardent hypers forget why he was drafted in the 4th round-his size.

We are 4 years out on Schultz's draft and there is no doubt that he has improved his status more than any player in that draft but sometimes people forget actually how much better the NHL is than any league in the world and will relish way too much in wanting something to happen rather than being reasonable in their projections.

Hopefully the next 28 games will temper expectations and fans will realize that it's going to take an entire team effort to turn around that franchise which is still lacking that tall 2 way #1 center, maybe Barkov will be a nice fit it they are so lucky

Old
12-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
There are no semantics going on here at all.

Schultz is off to a great start in some pretty good conditions in the AHL this year.

How that translates to NHL success remains to be seen.

One line is not enough to dominate the AHL. Edmonton has horrid scoring depth aside from the sometimes "Nordic" line. And our D is very young and inexperienced. Our veterans are at times the worst players on the ice.

The Barons have the same issues as the Oil. It should not be shocking at all that they are where they are in the standings. Houston has much better depth and goaltending. It makes a big difference.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:00 AM
dnicks17

Quote:

I hope you aren't implying that that's Schultz's fault.

As the above poster said, the Barons are a one line + one D team.

The Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen line has been decent, but without results for the most part. The rest of the forwards haven't shown up at all.

As for defense, it might as well be Schultz and five pylons on the line-up card.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:27 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
One line is not enough to dominate the AHL. Edmonton has horrid scoring depth aside from the sometimes "Nordic" line. And our D is very young and inexperienced. Our veterans are at times the worst players on the ice.

The Barons have the same issues as the Oil. It should not be shocking at all that they are where they are in the standings. Houston has much better depth and goaltending. It makes a big difference.
I agree on the D but frankly was hoping that MPS and Lander would be farther ahead in their development than they are right now.

sometimes it's a small thing and a couple of goals here or there not going in can be the difference or 5 games plus even this early.

It will be very interesting to watch the progress of all of the players on the farm for all teams for the rest of the season as things fluctuate and go in peaks and valleys.

I don't think that Schultz will keep up this pace, or even finish 10% of it in a full season but that doesn't change my mind on what type of prospect he is.

MPS and Marincin and Lander are keys to watch for though IMO.

We know what we have with the other "big 4" more or less already.

Old
12-27-2012, 12:29 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Its a simple straightforward question. Can you answer it for me or are you going to avoid it again?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote