HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 155: Dos Santos vs Velasquez II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-26-2012, 04:29 PM
  #26
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War
 
AndyPipkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,489
vCash: 341
I want Pickett to win just because he busted out one of my fav subs.



Peruvian necktie

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:17 PM
  #27
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,618
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
I want Pickett to win just because he busted out one of my fav subs.



Peruvian necktie
If you don't like One Punch, then I don't like you.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:21 PM
  #28
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 21,618
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
Main Card (PPV):
Heavyweight Championship Bout: Junior dos Santos (c) vs Cain Velasquez
Lightweight Bout: Joe Lauzon vs Jim Miller*
Middleweight Bout: Tim Boetsch vs Costa Philippou
Middleweight Bout: Yushin Okami vs Alan Belcher
Middleweight Bout: Chris Leben vs Derek Brunson

Preliminary Card:
Bantamweight Bout: Brad Pickett vs Eddie Wineland
Bantamweight Bout: Erik Perezvs Byron Bloodworth
Lightweight Bout: Melvin Guillard vs Jamie Varner*
Lightweight Bout: Michael Johnsonvs Myles Jury
Heavyweight Bout: Phil De Fries vs Todd Duffee
Flyweight Bout: Chris Cariaso vs John Moraga
Featherweight Bout: Max Holloway vs Leonard Garcia

Taking 2 upsets at the top. Probably pushing it with Cain, more reactionary to the lack if respect he's getting. The guy is and always has been one of the best, he gets flash ko'd & everyone acts like he had no chance. If anyone will beat JDS, it's Cain.

Its time for Joe lauzon to take the next step & this is a perfect fight to do so. Miller is basically a mirror image of Joe, this is a good matchup for him to get a win over a top caliber guy. Doing so is easier said than done, jersey tuff
If the Lauzon that beat Varner comes out, then he'll have a great shot at winning. But, if one round gas tank Lauzon comes out, he's dead meat.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 05:35 PM
  #29
macleod50
Registered User
 
macleod50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,966
vCash: 500
Main Card (PPV):
Heavyweight Championship Bout: Junior dos Santos (c) vs Cain Velasquez
Lightweight Bout: Joe Lauzon vs Jim Miller
Middleweight Bout: Tim Boetsch vs Costa Philippou
Middleweight Bout: Yushin Okami vs Alan Belcher
Middleweight Bout: Chris Leben vs Derek Brunson

Preliminary Card:
Bantamweight Bout: Brad Pickett vs Eddie Wineland
Bantamweight Bout: Erik Perez vs Byron Bloodworth
Lightweight Bout: Melvin Guillard vs Jamie Varner
Lightweight Bout: Michael Johnson vs Myles Jury
Heavyweight Bout: Phil De Fries vs Todd Duffee
Flyweight Bout: Chris Cariaso vs John Moraga
Featherweight Bout: Max Holloway vs Leonard Garcia


Last edited by macleod50: 12-28-2012 at 07:39 PM.
macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 06:22 PM
  #30
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,817
vCash: 645
Main Card (PPV):
Heavyweight Championship Bout: Junior dos Santos (c) vs Cain Velasquez
Lightweight Bout: Joe Lauzon vs Jim Miller
Middleweight Bout: Tim Boetsch vs Costa Philippou
Middleweight Bout: Yushin Okami vs Alan Belcher
Middleweight Bout: Chris Leben vs Derek Brunson

Preliminary Card:
Bantamweight Bout: Brad Pickett vs Eddie Wineland
Bantamweight Bout: Erik Perez vs Byron Bloodworth
Lightweight Bout: Melvin Guillard vs Jamie Varner
Lightweight Bout: Michael Johnson vs Myles Jury
Heavyweight Bout: Phil De Fries vs Todd Duffee
Flyweight Bout: Chris Cariaso vs John Moraga
Featherweight Bout: Max Holloway vs Leonard Garcia

Nice to see a couple of other people going with Cain as well. I think this fight will be very close but I'm picking Cain. Both fighters went into their first fight injured and Cain got caught behind the ear. I learned absolutely nothing from their first fight.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:13 PM
  #31
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 6,852
vCash: 133
Velasquez over dos Santos
Miller over Lauzon
Boetsch over Philippou
Okami over Belcher
Leben over Brunson
Pickett over Wineland
Varner over Guillard
De Fries over Duffee

Extremely excited for this card. The heavyweight division is better now than it's ever been, yet if you told me that the winner of this fight would STILL be holding the heavyweight title on 30 Dec 2016, I would believe it. These two are that good.

Okami and Belcher are both killers and that could go either way. Also looking forward to see what Todd Duffee looks like after his UFC exile.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 12:44 AM
  #32
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,272
vCash: 7000
Cain will get ko'd again. Similar to last time. I would be surprised if he makes it to the bell in the first round.

People picking Cain may want to consider just how he is supposed to beat JDS?

I cant really think of any way that happens, but if you can, and make a reasoned argument for why that might happen, then kudos to you.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:18 AM
  #33
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,708
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Cain will get ko'd again. Similar to last time. I would be surprised if he makes it to the bell in the first round.

People picking Cain may want to consider just how he is supposed to beat JDS?

I cant really think of any way that happens, but if you can, and make a reasoned argument for why that might happen, then kudos to you.
We've never seen JDS taken down and kept there. Cain is the best wrestler in the UFC now that Brock's gone, so it poses an interesting threat. If Cain can't take him down I don't think anyone would be picking him to win. I think it's fair to assume Cain has the better cardio as well, so if he can take him down and keep him there, how does JDS respond, and does he have the cardio to withstand it? I think all of that makes for an interesting fight.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:36 AM
  #34
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,384
vCash: 50
Cain can take anyone down and despite what people will lead everyone to believe Junior has been taken down before. But he hasn't faced a wrestler with the gas nor ability to gain decent top position and put Junior in position to take damage. Cain will take Junior down. Will he win, don't know the answer to that. But he has a good shot at doing it and it's easy to see how it's possible.

The key for Cain is to get out to a fast start as he has in all of his recent fights sans the Junior fight. He does not need to spend time warming up or dealing with a feeling out process, he has been at his best taking it straight to his opponent at the start of the fight.

Key for Junior, if Cain starts slow take him out. Fight at range. Simple as that.

Ultimately I don't believe that short victories are a sole determining factor in deciding who the best fighter is, so I'm glad they're fighting again.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:37 AM
  #35
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,272
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
We've never seen JDS taken down and kept there. Cain is the best wrestler in the UFC now that Brock's gone, so it poses an interesting threat. If Cain can't take him down I don't think anyone would be picking him to win. I think it's fair to assume Cain has the better cardio as well, so if he can take him down and keep him there, how does JDS respond, and does he have the cardio to withstand it? I think all of that makes for an interesting fight.
Cain was 0-1 in take down attempts in the first fight.

JDS is 88% overall in his takedown defense.

Do you think Cain will get eight or nine chances to take JDS down before he gets Ko'd? I dont.

I really like Cain as a fighter, and think he is the second best fighter in his division.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:39 AM
  #36
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,272
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Cain can take anyone down and despite what people will lead everyone to believe Junior has been taken down before. But he hasn't faced a wrestler with the gas nor ability to gain decent top position and put Junior in position to take damage. Cain will take Junior down. Will he win, don't know the answer to that. But he has a good shot at doing it and it's easy to see how it's possible.

The key for Cain is to get out to a fast start as he has in all of his recent fights sans the Junior fight. He does not need to spend time warming up or dealing with a feeling out process, he has been at his best taking it straight to his opponent at the start of the fight.

Key for Junior, if Cain starts slow take him out. Fight at range. Simple as that.

Ultimately I don't believe that short victories are a sole determining factor in deciding who the best fighter is, so I'm glad they're fighting again.
That is a helluva assumption and one not supported by the numbers at all.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:45 AM
  #37
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,384
vCash: 50
The numbers say that Cain is a better striker than dos Santos. Numbers are garbage.

Gonzaga took Junior down. Suffice to say that if the fight goes longer than 2 minutes I'm pretty comfortable with my assumption. Cain is the only fighter Junior has fought with what I'd call good wrestling technique. And don't throw Carwin who was without steroids and supposedly a good wrestler without taking down anyone ever in my face either. An overweight guy that wants to stand and punch with everyone isn't counter evidence either.

If Cain gets in a good shot and can time Junior when he's throwing a hook, Junior's back will be on the canvas. Whether or not top position is held is a different matter entirely.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:50 AM
  #38
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,272
vCash: 7000
Frank Mir 0-4 TDA
Cain Velasquez 0-1
Shane Carwin 1-3
Roy Nelson 0-7
Gabriel Gonzaga 1-1
Gilbert Yvel 0-0
Cro Cop 0-1
Stefan Struve 0-1
Fabricio Werdum 0-0

JDS has been taken down a whopping 2 times in his 9 ufc fights.

If you think Cain is not only going to take him down, but multiple times in one fight (never happened before), and keep him there, then you are deluding yourselves.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 01:59 AM
  #39
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,384
vCash: 50
If Cain takes him down and holds him down there will be no need for multiple times, the fight will likely be over.

Point out another good wrestler on that list and I'll be happy to agree with your point, but Cain is the only one and that fight lasted a minute. I am pretty sure that will not happen again. I like Junior so it sucks to have to pick against him and explain why, but I'm not ready to say he's able to handle a good wrestler because there's no proof of that. Two guys with bum knees fought each other and one knocked the other one out before we could have any idea how they matched up with each other. That's what happened the first time they fought.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:07 AM
  #40
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,384
vCash: 50
Main Card (PPV):
Heavyweight Championship Bout: Junior dos Santos (c) vs Cain Velasquez
Lightweight Bout: Joe Lauzon vs Jim Miller
Middleweight Bout: Tim Boetsch vs Costa Philippou
Middleweight Bout: Yushin Okami vs Alan Belcher
Middleweight Bout: Chris Leben vs Derek Brunson

Preliminary Card:
Bantamweight Bout: Brad Pickett vs Eddie Wineland
Bantamweight Bout: Erik Perez vs Byron Bloodworth
Lightweight Bout: Melvin Guillard vs Jamie Varner
Lightweight Bout: Michael Johnson vs Myles Jury
Heavyweight Bout: Phil De Fries vs Todd Duffee
Flyweight Bout: Chris Cariaso vs John Moraga
Featherweight Bout: Max Holloway vs Leonard Garcia

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:12 AM
  #41
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,272
vCash: 7000
Cain already tried to take him down and couldnt do it.

When JDS had a knee injury to boot.

Ive shown you incontrovertible evidence that JDS has only been taken down twice in his entire UFC career (nine fights).

Your response is, well JDS has never faced a wrestler like Cain before, well, except the first time he faced Cain and knocked him out, but forget about that, meant nothing, this time Cain will take JDS down for sure.

You dont really have anything other than your own gut feeling and the fact Cain is a good wrestler to back it up.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:32 AM
  #42
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,384
vCash: 50
Gut feeling is all you've got too, and the fact is that Cain is the best wrestler in the UFC's heavyweight division, not just good.

Cain also had a knee injury, that's why I just said it was two guys with bum knees in a fight, how can anyone make sense of that?

Yes, Junior was taken down by two average wrestlers, and guys like Yvel and Cro Cop shockingly couldn't manage to take him down. In fact the guy who tried to take him down 7 times gassed out about a minute into that fight, so how does that have any bearing on how Junior will fight against a fighter who can, as far as we know, go three rounds without gassing?


This is just like Brock/Cain in many respects. Everyone hailed how great a wrestler Brock was, neglecting to acknowledge the opposition he had faced on that road. He took down everyone, only went down once. I picked Cain in that fight. People are saying that dos Santos has such great takedown defense, once again, neglecting to acknowledge the opposition he faced on his road to the belt. Then he went out there with a bum knee and beat another guy with a bum knee. As far as we know both guys are at full strength this time. Junior is facing the best wrestler in the division, a guy who before that fight a year ago has taken down every single fighter he's tried to take down, and once getting them down, absolutely dominated them.

That's not to say Cain doesn't have his flaws, but more times than not the great wrestler is going to beat the great boxer. Cain's boxing is pretty good too. We have seen this in every other weight division and it applies at heavyweight as well. The title fights this year tend to prove that.

In fact, you're the one acting like there's no way Junior can lose the fight when you just said so yourself that he has been taken down, and it's obvious that the fighters Junior has faced are not great wrestlers. Everyone else seems to be pretty aware that it's a pick em fight.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 02:34 AM
  #43
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 30,445
vCash: 500
Main Card (PPV):
Heavyweight Championship Bout: Junior dos Santos (c) vs Cain Velasquez
Lightweight Bout: Joe Lauzon vs Jim Miller
Middleweight Bout: Tim Boetsch vs Costa Philippou
Middleweight Bout: Yushin Okami vs Alan Belcher
Middleweight Bout: Chris Leben vs Derek Brunson

Preliminary Card:
Bantamweight Bout: Brad Pickett vs Eddie Wineland
Bantamweight Bout: Erik Perez vs Byron Bloodworth
Lightweight Bout: Melvin Guillard vs Jamie Varner
Lightweight Bout: Michael Johnson vs Myles Jury
Heavyweight Bout: Phil De Fries vs Todd Duffee
Flyweight Bout: Chris Cariaso vs John Moraga
Featherweight Bout: Max Holloway vs Leonard Garcia

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:04 AM
  #44
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin
 
ck26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Coyotes Bandwagon
Country: United States
Posts: 6,852
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
We've never seen JDS taken down and kept there. Cain is the best wrestler in the UFC now that Brock's gone, so it poses an interesting threat. If Cain can't take him down I don't think anyone would be picking him to win. I think it's fair to assume Cain has the better cardio as well, so if he can take him down and keep him there, how does JDS respond, and does he have the cardio to withstand it? I think all of that makes for an interesting fight.
Cain is a better wrestler than Brock. Hate to overstate something when our sample size is 1 engagement, but Cain stood up from under Brock almost immediately. I change my mind constantly on topics like this (so ask against next month), but I think nitpicking details between world class guys is silly. Cain, Brock and Carwin's wrestling ... GSP, Koscheck and Fitch wrestling ... Belfort, Leites or Maia in jiu jitsu ... they're all world class, so the differences between these fighters are down to athleticism and other skills, not the intricacies of their wrestling.

I think Cain's takedowns are more dangerous than Brock's because Cain is quicker and his standup is so much better, so you can't disrespect his striking waiting for the double-leg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
... so how does that have any bearing on how Junior will fight against a fighter who can, as far as we know, go three rounds without gassing?
...
In fact, you're the one acting like there's no way Junior can lose the fight when you just said so yourself that he has been taken down, and it's obvious that the fighters Junior has faced are not great wrestlers. Everyone else seems to be pretty aware that it's a pick em fight.
Agreed 100% that it's a pick 'em fight, but there's no way Cain's long-term cardio matters because there's no way this goes 3 full rounds. This isn't Gracie / Sakuraba where their grappling will neutralize each other ... this isn't Jon Fitch and Matt Hughes where they're trying to grind out wins ... these guys are too dangerous and their finishing (both standup and on the ground) is way too lethal.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:24 AM
  #45
MBauer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: MI
Country: United States
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Gut feeling is all you've got too, and the fact is that Cain is the best wrestler in the UFC's heavyweight division, not just good.

Cain also had a knee injury, that's why I just said it was two guys with bum knees in a fight, how can anyone make sense of that?

Yes, Junior was taken down by two average wrestlers, and guys like Yvel and Cro Cop shockingly couldn't manage to take him down. In fact the guy who tried to take him down 7 times gassed out about a minute into that fight, so how does that have any bearing on how Junior will fight against a fighter who can, as far as we know, go three rounds without gassing?


This is just like Brock/Cain in many respects. Everyone hailed how great a wrestler Brock was, neglecting to acknowledge the opposition he had faced on that road. He took down everyone, only went down once. I picked Cain in that fight. People are saying that dos Santos has such great takedown defense, once again, neglecting to acknowledge the opposition he faced on his road to the belt. Then he went out there with a bum knee and beat another guy with a bum knee. As far as we know both guys are at full strength this time. Junior is facing the best wrestler in the division, a guy who before that fight a year ago has taken down every single fighter he's tried to take down, and once getting them down, absolutely dominated them.

That's not to say Cain doesn't have his flaws, but more times than not the great wrestler is going to beat the great boxer. Cain's boxing is pretty good too. We have seen this in every other weight division and it applies at heavyweight as well. The title fights this year tend to prove that.

In fact, you're the one acting like there's no way Junior can lose the fight when you just said so yourself that he has been taken down, and it's obvious that the fighters Junior has faced are not great wrestlers. Everyone else seems to be pretty aware that it's a pick em fight.
Id you're gonna argue that JDS only has good tdd because the guys he has fought aren't as good of wrestler as Cain, then I can just as easily say Cain's wrestling only looks so good because he is taking guys down with lesser tdd then that of JDS.

JDS has spent a whopping 13 seconds on his back in the UFC, saying Carwin is not a good wrestler is flat out lie and bias to help fit your argument, he was a Division II national champ and stuffed Brock easy until he completely gassed himself out. Am i saying Carwin is a better wrestler then Velasquez, no, but saying he isn't a good wrestler is silly.

Another point that is completely overlooked is the mental aspect, Cain is going into a fight with a guy who has knocked him out, he is a human and just like anyone else that is gonna be in his head a lot going into the fight.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 06:52 AM
  #46
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 
Boris Le Tigre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: More Toast !
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,389
vCash: 500
Main Card (PPV):
Heavyweight Championship Bout: Junior dos Santos (c) vs Cain Velasquez
Lightweight Bout: Joe Lauzon vs Jim Miller
Middleweight Bout: Tim Boetsch vs Costa Philippou
Middleweight Bout: Yushin Okami vs Alan Belcher
Middleweight Bout: Chris Leben vs Derek Brunson

Preliminary Card:
Bantamweight Bout: Brad Pickett vs Eddie Wineland
Bantamweight Bout: Erik Perez vs Byron Bloodworth
Lightweight Bout: Melvin Guillard vs Jamie Varner
Lightweight Bout: Michael Johnson vs Myles Jury
Heavyweight Bout: Phil De Fries vs Todd Duffee
Flyweight Bout: Chris Cariaso vs John Moraga
Featherweight Bout: Max Holloway vs Leonard Garcia

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:18 AM
  #47
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,272
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Gut feeling is all you've got too
I have the numbers that support my "gut feeling", which makes it not a gut feeling at all, but supported fact. With that in mind, the only way Cain wins is by getting the better of the stand up, which while anything is possible, in actual fact, it is highly unlikely.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 08:34 AM
  #48
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Frank Mir 0-4 TDA
Cain Velasquez 0-1
Shane Carwin 1-3
Roy Nelson 0-7
Gabriel Gonzaga 1-1
Gilbert Yvel 0-0
Cro Cop 0-1
Stefan Struve 0-1
Fabricio Werdum 0-0

JDS has been taken down a whopping 2 times in his 9 ufc fights.

If you think Cain is not only going to take him down, but multiple times in one fight (never happened before), and keep him there, then you are deluding yourselves.
Completely pointless numbers you posted there. What does JDS not being taken down by a bunch of fighters, who are a fraction of the wrestler Cain is, have to do with anything. You act like it's some kind of science that JDS will win this fight and Cain doesn't have a chance. Any non-biased fan can see this fight could go either way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Cain already tried to take him down and couldnt do it.

When JDS had a knee injury to boot.

Ive shown you incontrovertible evidence that JDS has only been taken down twice in his entire UFC career (nine fights).

Your response is, well JDS has never faced a wrestler like Cain before, well, except the first time he faced Cain and knocked him out, but forget about that, meant nothing, this time Cain will take JDS down for sure.

You dont really have anything other than your own gut feeling and the fact Cain is a good wrestler to back it up.
You've presented no evidence whatsoever. You basing things off one TD attempt and a somewhat fluky KO. Do you not have any idea how absurd that is?

Then, you accuse other posters of just going off gut feeling, when you're doing the same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
JDS has spent a whopping 13 seconds on his back in the UFC, saying Carwin is not a good wrestler is flat out lie and bias to help fit your argument, he was a Division II national champ and stuffed Brock easy until he completely gassed himself out. Am i saying Carwin is a better wrestler then Velasquez, no, but saying he isn't a good wrestler is silly.
Ever see Carwin take someone down in UFC? Didn't think so. Don't look at everything in black & white. Being a Div II champ 12 years before their fight doesn't mean much when he rarely used his wrestling in MMA fights.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 09:02 AM
  #49
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Main Card (PPV):
Heavyweight Championship Bout: Junior dos Santos (c) vs Cain Velasquez
Lightweight Bout: Joe Lauzon vs Jim Miller
Middleweight Bout: Tim Boetsch vs Costa Philippou
Middleweight Bout: Yushin Okami vs Alan Belcher
Middleweight Bout: Chris Leben vs Derek Brunson

Preliminary Card:
Bantamweight Bout: Brad Pickett vs Eddie Wineland
Bantamweight Bout: Erik Perez vs Byron Bloodworth
Lightweight Bout: Melvin Guillard vs Jamie Varner
Lightweight Bout: Michael Johnson vs Myles Jury
Heavyweight Bout: Phil De Fries vs Todd Duffee
Flyweight Bout: Chris Cariaso vs John Moraga
Featherweight Bout: Max Holloway vs Leonard Garcia

I think this will be a fun card to watch. The title could be a classic or it could end a minute in again. Either way it's the two best HW's in the world fighting. Miller/Lauzon, Boetsch/Philippou and Belcher/Okami should all be fun fights. Miller/Lauzon has potential for some great grappling while the other two fights could be slugfests.

On the preliminary card, I can't wait for Pickett/Wineland, it should be a war. Both guys have strong chins so I wouldn't be surprised to see it go to the judges. Odd, that for a guy nicknamed one-punch, Pickett only has 7 KO's in 22 wins. I hope Varner beats Melvin but I don't really like either. Should be another fun fight though. Johnson/Jury is interesting as well to see where both guys are at. MJ's improved a lot since TUF but still has big holes in his game so I think Jury will take it. Looking forward to seeing Duffee and Holloway as well.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 10:24 AM
  #50
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,272
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Completely pointless numbers you posted there. What does JDS not being taken down by a bunch of fighters, who are a fraction of the wrestler Cain is, have to do with anything. You act like it's some kind of science that JDS will win this fight and Cain doesn't have a chance. Any non-biased fan can see this fight could go either way.
It shows that JDS has been taken down twice in his entire ufc career. Shane Carwin isnt a fraction of the wrestler Cain is? Not to mention Cain already had his shot at JDS and took him down zero times. Non-biased?

Ok then. I like both fighters a lot. Care to explain how that makes me biased?

Quote:
You've presented no evidence whatsoever. You basing things off one TD attempt and a somewhat fluky KO. Do you not have any idea how absurd that is?
I presented the complete data on TDA that encompasses JDS' entire ufc career. If you comprehend that as "no data whatsoever" then that is your problem not mine.

Quote:
Then, you accuse other posters of just going off gut feeling, when you're doing the same thing.
I used data to support my position. And you?

Quote:
Ever see Carwin take someone down in UFC? Didn't think so. Don't look at everything in black & white. Being a Div II champ 12 years before their fight doesn't mean much when he rarely used his wrestling in MMA fights.
Well, unlike Cain, Carwin DID take down JDS, only one of two fighters in the ufc ever to do so, so yes, I have seen Carwin take someone down in the ufc.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.