HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
12-26-2012, 09:22 AM
QnebO

vCash: 500
Very sad news.. but if ever, maybe this year our war will not fail into any single soldier falling.. We need better Barkov I think now.

QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:35 AM
agent082

Because Aaltonen is injured, i hope they give up the idea of three scoring lines and put Teravainen in second line.

agent082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:45 AM
InjuredChoker

That sucks, he was playing so solid.

Team is little weakened on paper but it may make them stronger on ice (win it for Aaltonen anyone?). Too optimistic, no?

Ok start. Not the best game but didn't need to be.

Last edited by InjuredChoker: 12-26-2012 at 01:03 PM.
InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 09:55 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Team is little weakened on paper but it may make them stronger on ice (win it for Haapala, anyone?). Too optimistic, no?
Haapala?

Well, maybe Barkov would do that.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Baggie

Yes! That should be the finnish slogan for the rest of the tournament; "Win it for Haapala"

Baggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
So, no points for Barkov? Was he bad or only invisible?

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Depch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
So, no points for Barkov? Was he bad or only invisible?
He was no liability, but had no effort in the game. Looked very tired.

Depch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 12:26 PM
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Make It 30!!!!

That was a BRUTAL break (literally and figuratively), guys. Sorry to see it.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:04 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Haapala?

Well, maybe Barkov would do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggie View Post
Yes! That should be the finnish slogan for the rest of the tournament; "Win it for Haapala"
Meant Aaltonen . Fixed.

Sleep deprivation does no good for old man.

Old
12-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depch View Post
He was no liability, but had no effort in the game. Looked very tired.
Nykopp wasn't a good fit in his line. Hogged the puck too much, Barkov didn't get it much himself.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:14 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
This was really bad loss for Finland. This kills 3rd line altogether. Finland's chances to medal, let alone to get gold, are gone with the wind. Sorry, but that's how it is. Too bad.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 01:35 PM
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Nykopp wasn't a good fit in his line. Hogged the puck too much, Barkov didn't get it much himself.
I don't know whether it was that or just the fact that I don't know if they've even practiced much together. I think the second line winger has been a true head scratcher for the coaching team. And when the first line, Tomek's entourage in the fourth line, Barkov-Lehkonen and TT-Aaltonen were set there were very few options left. Like other posters I hope they now make the easiest move and move TT to second line and give up the three scoring lines idea.

I hope that the "morning" game had something to do with the lack of intensity in the game. After all they haven't been in Ufa for a long time so some guys (Barkov!?) may have felt like playing 9.30am (even 1pm games are usually hard for players).

FlutteringSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:22 PM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
This was really bad loss for Finland. This kills 3rd line altogether. Finland's chances to medal, let alone to get gold, are gone with the wind. Sorry, but that's how it is. Too bad.
****. I guess there's no point watching these games anymore.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Lol no they are not.

ANYTHING could happen in a single game. This could motivate them even more, play more as a team.

Aaltonen is a loss but he's not THAT big loss.

In my opinion, ofc.

Other teams have suffered/will suffer injuries too.

Let's win it for Haapala.. ..eh, mean Aaltonen.

Old
12-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Ville231

True, Sweden is missing their top 3 defence corps and they still looked very good against the Czechs.

It just sucks that Finland always seems to be missing a key player year after year. (2012 Määttä, 2011 Granlund, 2010 Pulkkinen)

Anyways the roster is so deep this year that this shouldn't hurt us that much.

PS. lets not turn this Ikonen-gate bigger than it needs to be he's not in the roster and thats it

Ville231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 03:26 PM
mikko1995

Quote:
One player doesn't make a team.

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2012, 04:47 PM
YARR123

Quote:
How Bizarre is your post?

We won against Canada without Barkov, Lehkonen, Ristolainen, Pokka and Hännikäinen. I'm pretty sure we have our chances without Aaltonen, even though he is a key player. Luckily we have a lot of key players this year, and it's not like losing Granlund 2 years ago.

The positive about this is that this injury forces the coaches to put TT with Barkov and Lehkonen. All of our bottom-6 guys have already shown they can hold their own against the top teams. And we will have a beyond sick top-6. And the team is full of guys that are winners mentally, and all of them are filled with confidence.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 03:54 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
How Bizarre is your post?
Given the hissy fit our friend was throwing over the Ikonen cut, I'm guessing he's a Blues fan.

The truth is, people don't apparently still realize how deep our team is. Aaltonen was in a good form, but when is a guy slotted for the third line from the beginning a "key" player?

I expect Leino will do more than adequate job to replace him on even strength (especially if they move Teräväinen to Barkov's wing). The PP which was working well may be a bit more difficult to rewire, but it's not like we're completely out of options with that either.

Regardless, having a tournament-ending injury this early is always a little stressful, given how now we'll just have to cross our hands and hope more won't come. Then we'll be fighting bit more of an uphill battle. But as of right now, it's still business as usual.

Old
12-27-2012, 04:09 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Given the hissy fit our friend was throwing over the Ikonen cut, I'm guessing he's a Blues fan.
I'm pretty sure he's just Loffer. I would've thought that his "reputation" would've reached further.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:12 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
I'm pretty sure he's just Loffer. I would've thought that his "reputation" would've reached further.
Oi, I do frequent this place enough to be well aware of his contributions in general. Just figured I'd be courteous instead of calling 'em out.

Last edited by FiLe: 12-27-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old
12-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Ville231

Quote:

The truth is, people don't apparently still realize how deep our team is. Aaltonen was in a good form, but when is a guy slotted for the third line from the beginning a "key" player?

I expect Leino will do more than adequate job to replace him on even strength (especially if they move Teräväinen to Barkov's wing). The PP which was working well may be a bit more difficult to rewire, but it's not like we're completely out of options with that either.

Regardless, having a tournament-ending injury this early is always a little stressful, given how now we'll just have to cross our hands and hope more won't come. Then we'll be fighting bit more of an uphill battle. But as of right now, it's still business as usual.
Team is deep for sure, but still Aaltonen was a key player even though he was on the third line. He played pp, has made a lot of goals in junior competitions and SM-league, and most importantly he was a leader in this team.

At the same time I have to agree with you, this shouldn't hurt us too much, the roster is just too deep for that. I expect a clear win from the Czechs.

Ville231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

So according to MTV3 the Finnish coaches were watching Czech training, but the Czech coaching staff threw them out, which is against the rules.

Rindell said that if someone comes to watch Finnish practice, "pucks may now slip", whatever that means.

Pretty weird imo.

Link in Finnish

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:56 AM
Mr Writer

A tough break for the guy! Wish him a speedy and full recovery. I still think the Finns got the guns to make it to the final, but no doubt it will be a much tougher road now. I'm so looking forward to a Canada-Finland final.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 04:57 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
miek yoe pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
A tough break for the guy! Wish him a speedy and full recovery. I still think the Finns got the guns to make it to the final, but no doubt it will be a much tougher road now. I'm so looking forward to a Canada-Finland final.
As much as I like Aaltonen, I think he can be replaced by Leino. So I don't think his injury even weakens us that much.

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2012, 05:00 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
So according to MTV3 the Finnish coaches were watching Czech training, but the Czech coaching staff threw them out, which is against the rules.

Rindell said that if someone comes to watch Finnish practice, "pucks may now slip", whatever that means.

Pretty weird imo.

Link in Finnish
Apparently one of the Canadian reporters was watching the Finns practice and one of the coaches approached to ask him if he was a Czech. The Canadian didn't say if he was thrown out of the Finnish practice. There may have been a rule change re: opposing team personnel viewing practices over the hubbub caused by the Canadian-Swedish debacle at the Ivan Hlinka tournament last summer. The Swedes said they would bring the issue up at the next IIHF congress. If that occurred or not, I have no idea.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote